PDA

View Full Version : San Diego

LittleSpirit02
07-19-2008, 11:07 AM
My family is going to be heading out to San Diego (and then Anaheim :)) in about a month. We've visited San Diego before but I thought I'd come on and see if anyone has any "must-sees" for us. We are 3 adults and 1 teen.

I just looked at both the San Diego Zoo and Sea World websites. Any opinions on those would be great.

On our last trip, we explored all the different ships on the bay and went to a Padres game.

If anyone can reccomend a great beach or somewhere that we could rent an affordable boat for an afternoon, that would also be appreciated.

:) Thanks!

brewcrew26
07-19-2008, 12:59 PM
My sister lives out in San Diego. Last time DH and I went to visit in 2005 we did a few touristy things.

Of course, we did a two-day trip to Disneyland (DH's first time). We also did Sea World. Since my grandfather is a navy retiree they get discounts, so we got free tix. It's a lot better than I remember as a kid. There's some great rides and the Shamu show was awesome.

Be sure to hit Old Town. Some great Mexican restaurants there. We had the luck of getting Brewers vs. Padres tickets and Petco park is awesome.

I'm sure there's a lot more if I remember and talk with DH today and get back to you.

AZ Disney
07-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Here are some of my favorite beach spots in San Diego:
La Jolla Cove & La Jolla Shores - about 15 minutes North of the airport. You can snorkel, kayak, play, shop, tide pools. Great place.

Carlsbad area of beaches - These are considered N. County and are about 30 or so miles North of the airport. A really great place to eat is King's Fish House - unbelievable!!

Lots of people really like Pacific Beach and Mission Beach, but I've never been, they're located right near Sea World.

On our last trip a few weeks ago we went to the Cabrillo National Monument. It was a lot of fun if you like historical sites and breathtaking views. $5 National Park entrance fee.

We also did the USS Midway which was a really neat thing to do too.

I'm not sure about renting boats inexpensively, but I know there are lots of options on Mission Bay as well as down near SeaPort Village.

Have Fun!

brewcrew26
07-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I've done most of what AZ suggested. Cabrillo is lots of fun and you do get some great views, especially of the submarines in dock. The lighthouse is small, but tours are free.

There's also a cove -- it might be in La Jolla - its the home to all these seals. It's fun to watch them (but be prepared it smells funky).

I think you can do a package to tour all the ships in the dock. But since my grandfather is a Navy vet, I think we got a different discount.

Legoland also isn't too far of a drive...maybe about an hour and in between Anaheim and San Diego if you have little ones who want to do something different.

MegaDisney
07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Dine at Azul in La Jolla. Incredible food, great wine list and fantastic view of the cove in La Jolla!