PDA

View Full Version : Anna Maria Island - hints and tips?

andywicks
07-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Hi all,

We have hired a beach-front house on Anna Maria Island for a week before going on a Disney Cruise:mickey: and back to WDW. :mickey:

We are going to try to have a relaxing week first and recover a little from our busy lives.

Apart from the beach, can anyone give us recommendations on what we should do / where to eat / bike hire / boat trips etc etc????

We are two adults and an adventurous ten year old! :thumbsup:

andreallybadeggs
07-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Hope someone will have some more specific rec's for you. It's been several years and I'm getting to be an old gal but do know we had a great time there-- very quiet and relaxing. Our resort was beach front so we just swam there every day except one day when we went to a state park. There was a city park nearby also where we played tennis. We had bikes at the resort so did not need to rent but I remember seeing a couple of places and doubt you'll have any problem with that.
We also took our teens parasailing one afternoon. In short, most of the time we just chilled but there was enough to keep us busy when we wanted activity.
We mostly ate lightly in our condo but for our one big night out we went to a Carraba's in Brandenton and then saw Disney's newly released film in the local cinema-- Mulan! Guess that will tell you how many years it's been since we were there:D
Anyway-- it was all delightful except the one afternoon when I freaked a little since a stingray parked itself directly under my raft Everywhere I went, it seemed to follow.

AMI-Larry
07-19-2008, 11:10 AM
So much to do...

Restaurants...I would be sure to go to Rod and Reel pier, Sandbar at sunset, Skinny's for beach and bar food, and the Salty Dog.

Non Beach Day A) I would head down 40 minutes South along Gulf Drive to see Longboat Key and stop in at the Mote Aquarium..your 10 year old will love it. After the aquirium grab lunch at the Salty dog which is almost right across the street. Then head 5 minutes into St. Armands circle and walk the shops and have dinner somewhere in St. Armands.

Non Beach Day B) If you are staying up north I would walk the beach to Sand Bar and have dinner at sunset time with your feet in the sand...then head over to the public pier in Anna Maria City and get an ice cream and walk the public pier.

Non Beach Day C) If you want to head up to Tampa they have one of the TOP 5 child friendly zoos in USA. My son loves it...you can feed giraffe's, pet Rhino's, feed farm animals, visit child friendly presentations...lots of stuff. That is the whole day. If your not into the zoo then try the MOSI in tampa which is Museum of Science

Non Beach Day D) If you prefer something more local try the Bradenton planetarium in the evening. They typically have star shows, informational shows, etc...thats neat and it is a little more special than the movies.

Non Beach Day E) Rainy day, go bowling or visit movie theatre in Bradenton.

I think generally I put them in order of the highest suggested items. I live on the island have a ton more suggestions but too many to post. Try going to www.blog.IslandReal.com where you will find 100's of pages of information on renting scooters, jet ski's, EVERYTHING ANNA MARIA. I am sorry about not having many links off the island but slowly I am adding more information. Thanks for visiting Anna Maria, you will love it!

TiggeRia
07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
I've never been there, so I won't be of any help to you...but it's someplace I've always wanted to go! I've done research on it online and discovered that the Island was named after the first non native born on the Island, Anna Maria Cobb. That is my name too! (Although mine is hyphenated Anna-Maria Cobb, it's close enough to count!) I would love to hear about your trip after you return. I am planning on making a trip there sometime next year. :)

Sunshine1010
07-21-2008, 06:28 PM
One of my best friends just got back from a weeklong vacation there last week. Their daughter is 9 yrs old.

They went canoeing (or kayaking)

She said she loved it. Very relaxing, powder white sandy beaches.

They don't have any fast food places there (McDonalds, Wendys, etc.)

If you go on YouTube, they have some video tours of the island with things to do.

Have fun!