PDA

View Full Version : Having headaches...

brewcrew26
07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I normally don't go into my personal life on this board. But, I went to the doctor today because I've been having pretty severe headaches lately. They started a little before we went on our honeymoon in April. Recently, my vision has been getting blurred, I've had loud ringing in my ears, and the other day I was in the shower and I had a sharp pain run down my neck for about two mins.

Well, my doctor says I'm more than likely just developing migraines. But, since I'm in my late 20s, it's slightly odd to just start having such severe headaches and symptoms. She did ask if I have motion sickness, which I have since I was a kid. And, for whatever reason that could be a trigger for migraines.

But, next week she wants me to have an MRI on my brain just in case. I'm kinda worried. I'm a pretty healthy person. So, this is kinda big for me.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and what happened? I have a new prescription for Fiorecet but I'm worried I need to take it when I go home since I get drowsy pretty easily. (I had a toradol shot right before we flew in April to help the headaches and I was out for a day)

I'm hoping nothing is too serious, but I think I'm in need of just a teeny bit of pixie dust to make sure it'll be ok.

Dakota Rose
07-17-2008, 10:09 PM
When I was 20, I experienced almost exactly the same thing you described, complete with the shower incident. Turned out to be migraines like your doctor thought. What worked for me was regular visits to the chiropractor and going on birth control.

:hug: Hang in there. I'm sending prayers and pixie dust your way.

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-17-2008, 10:13 PM
My son just had what you describe. He had an MRI and the doctor said it was migranes. He is 27.
One recommendation she said was to take alka selzer (sp?) when you feel one coming on. She saysthat it sometimes works better than prescription medication.

He hasn't had one since he saw her this week, but i'm anxious to see if it works.

Pixie dust coming your way:magic::pixie:

mdhiggin
07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
My sister and I have optical migraines. It's like looking through a kaleidoscope. She swears by peanuts. I ate some the other day and my vision was back to normal in about 20 minutes.

RedSoxFan
07-18-2008, 07:31 AM
My migraines started for me when I was in my 20's too. I woke up this morning at 6am with a slight one and took 2 excedrin migraine pills and it was gone within 20 minutes. For the really bad ones, I take Imitrex. But my insurance only allows me 9 pills a month -- so I only take them when really needed.

tinkerbellybutton
07-18-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't have any advice about the headaches but I do have LOTS of pixie dust for you. :pixie: :pixie:

Jen C.
07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Had the exact same thing happen to me. Right down to the vision issues, and the MRI. I waws 26 or 27. It turned out to be migraines. Please don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine!!:thumbsup:

MauiMouse
07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
I started having them when I was about 10 or 11. For me they start where my right eye goes, almost to where I can't read, like a tunnel vision. Then it my right side of mouth and right hand are numb, and most of the time I can't speak correctly. I feel like I'm having a stroke some times. Then I get the massive headache. They did a MRI and a brain scan on me too. That is what it was diagnosed, migraine. I still get them to this day, had one last Wednesday, no picnic that's for sure.

diz_girl
07-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a migraine, so you probably shouldn't worry, except for the fact that migraines stink. Your doctor is good to send you for an MRI to rule out anything else.

I usually get vision problems, namely the kaleidoscope that someone mentioned before, which are officially called "auras". It starts as a a little shimmery light in my field of vision, which grows into a shimmery circle until it gets so big that it goes outside my field of vision. Then the headache starts.:(

I was prescribed Maxalt, which I use when I start seeing the aura. It makes me a little drowsy, but it sure beats the pain. It's supposed to be used infrequently (less than 4x a month). It works well for me.

I had migraines a few days in a row (Christmas '06) when I was pregnant. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the Maxalt because I was pregnant, so it was just Tylenol. I got the auras, but the pain was thankfully minimal, especially since I couldn't take my normal medication. I've had headaches since, but no migraines.:party:

Good luck and here's some:pixie:

IloveDisney71
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I began getting headaches on a regular basis around the age of 10 but didn't develop migraines until I was in my early 20's. My doctor ordered a cat scan in order to rule out anything more serious and thankfully it was just migraines. Unlike a previous poster, I couldn't used birth control because that was one of my triggers and that was when I experienced the worst migraines of my life. Caffeine is now my biggest trigger (so I avoid it!) but a change in sleeping habits can also have a bad effect on me. Your dr. may recommend that you start keeping a journal of the food you eat, sleeping habits, etc. in order to help you try to pinpoint the "cause" of the migraines. What you are describing does sound like migraines to me - but I'm NOT a dr.;)
Luckily there are a lot of different types of medicine that can help. I take Neurontin (sp?) daily in order to help regulate the frequency of my migraines. It is actually a drug for seizures, but one of the positive side-effects that they found was that it also helps decrease the frequency of migraines. I swear by this. I've been taking this for about 3 years and I went from having an average of 4 to 5 REALLY bad migraines a month to having one really bad one about once every 2 or 3 months.
I went in for a check-up last week and he did give me a new medicine to try. It's called Treximet. It's a combo. of Imitrex (which does not work for me) and another migraine drug (I don't remember the name). I haven't had to take it yet, but hopefully it will help the next time I get a "big one" as I call them. Right now the only thing I can take is something to knock me out for a long time so I can hopefully sleep it off. The other types of migraine medicinces just don't work for me (or any of my aunts who also have them). I think our genetics has something to do with that since I have friends who swear by Imitrex and other popular migraine treatments.

Anyway...sorry to ramble on and on. I'm sending some pixie dust your way. Try not to worry too much (easier said than done).

brewcrew26
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone for all the well wishes. I just get so freaked out when something new happens. My niece was diagnosed with a brain tumor last year, so of course that's the first thing I think of.

I just hope that if it is migraines that we caught it in time before they come to those incapacitating headaches that I've heard about. That just scares me even though I have a pretty high level threshold of pain.

But, I'm glad others out there have had the same symptoms. I don't feel as bad as I did yesterday when I left the doctors.

SurferStitch
07-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine (except for the pain down the neck) about 3 years ago (I was 32 at the time). My vision was more distorted than blurry, and would be a little "jumpy" when I would look at certain prints (like zebra or leopard). I would also see shaded halos around objects if they were in front of a bright background.

I was scared, and my doctor was concerned because my mom had 2 ruptured brain aneurysms (20 years apart), and several others that are still okay. He was also concerned about MS or brain tumors. So, he scheduled an MRI for me.

Turned out to be nothing. He said it's probably eye strain, allergies and/or migraines. I don't get the terrible headaches anymore since I got a new flat panel computer monitor right after that. I also got new glasses. I used to get only eye migraines (no pain), and they were SO annoying. I couldn't look at anything for at least 20-30 minutes when I'd get one.

So, after MUCH worrying, to the point of making myself sick, it was nothing. I found out the hard way it wasn't worth worrying until I had something to worry about. That doesn't mean I was scared silly, though.

I still have pretty bad ringing in my ears, and that has not subsided. I've always had slight ringing when I was younger, but it's been worse for the past couple years now. My ears always feel a little blocked, but the doc says there's nothing wrong. So, I basically just have to suffer. It's really only when it's quiet that I notice it.

Best wishes, and I hope everything turns out perfectly for you.

meldan98
07-18-2008, 01:00 PM
I started getting migranes when I was in the 5th grade and I still have them today. They were worse when I was 20's and early 30's. When they were at their worst, my doctor asked me to do a journal for a couple of months. I had to right down everything! We noticed a pattern right away and she changed my birth control pill and I haven't had many issues since then. I will still get the occasional migrane, but those are typically related to stress or sinus issues.

My primary care doctor once prescribed a migrane medication (10 years ago actually) and my rebound headache was actually worse than my actual migrane. I was so sick to my stomach and couldn't drive. We quickly determined Migrane medication was NOT for me. My poor DH, we were on our 3rd date and he had to take me to the doctor to get the shot, sign forms to be my driver and sleep on my couch just to make sure I was okay.

AuntDJ
07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I have had headaches most of my life. But once I started birth control, they got worse and I can almost count on a migrane at "that" time of the month. I take Imitrex and it works like a charm....

Just a thought, since it started around your wedding.....

Good Luck~ DJ

brewcrew26
07-18-2008, 05:25 PM
I have had headaches most of my life. But once I started birth control, they got worse and I can almost count on a migrane at "that" time of the month. I take Imitrex and it works like a charm....

Just a thought, since it started around your wedding.....

Good Luck~ DJ

I actually can't go on birth control due to a blood clotting disorder that I have. So, I don't think it's related to that. I also watch my caffeine intake (I'm down to less than one soda a week thanks to DH).

I have been taking Paxil for about 3 years so I don't know if that could cause the headaches.

DisneyDudet
07-21-2008, 12:24 AM
The thing about migraines is that "triggers" are different for almost everyone. I have migraines, as does a close family friend. I have found my tiggers to be lack of sleep, stress, and reading. Lack of sleep brought on my first one. I had to get up really early, and it started. It lasted 2 days. I had sensitivity to light and sound. My second was during my summer session of college. I was up early studying in the science lab, and was there probably about 8 hrs until about 11pm. The stress of the coming test, lack of sleep, and all that reading caused another one. My latest, and worst, migraine was around 2 years ago. I actually vomited. Mine usually start on the right side and encompasses my whole head and neck.

Like I said before, triggers are different for everyone, some have hormone triggers, caffiene, certain smells. Our family friend's tigger is ONIONS!

I hope that migraines are what you are experiencing. If I were you, and they determine it is migraines, and the treatment options do not help, I would seek a second opinion.

I hope you feel better. If you are claustrophobic, talk to your doctor as an MRI is pretty tough, especially on someone who does not do well in enclosed spaces.

I hope you feel much better soon!

trennedy
07-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I completely understand. I also suffer from migraines. I even had to leave my family at Epcot a few years back because I had one. I have 3 different prescriptions that I can take, depending on the severity.

I found my triggers are hormonal and I can't have any artificial sweeteners. If I have anything artificial at all, I'll have a migraine within minutes.

Good luck to you! :pixie: I understand how it can be very difficult to deal with.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
One of the owners of the company I work for also gets migraines. She said what helps her is a cold pack right at the base of the skull, where your neck/shoulders/back meet. She suggested a bag of peas because they'll conform right to your neck. Best of luck with the MRI and keep us posted.

crazypoohbear
07-22-2008, 12:30 AM
when my DS feels a migraine coming on he immediately takes tylenol and goes and lays down in my bed in the dark with no noise. He sleeps for about an hour and wakes up fine.
I have gotten a few and have put ice packs on the base of my skull and taken tylenol/motrin.
Darkness and lying down really helps also.
Good luck with the MRI

jonahbear2006
07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I normally don't go into my personal life on this board. But, I went to the doctor today because I've been having pretty severe headaches lately. They started a little before we went on our honeymoon in April. Recently, my vision has been getting blurred, I've had loud ringing in my ears, and the other day I was in the shower and I had a sharp pain run down my neck for about two mins.

Well, my doctor says I'm more than likely just developing migraines. But, since I'm in my late 20s, it's slightly odd to just start having such severe headaches and symptoms. She did ask if I have motion sickness, which I have since I was a kid. And, for whatever reason that could be a trigger for migraines.

But, next week she wants me to have an MRI on my brain just in case. I'm kinda worried. I'm a pretty healthy person. So, this is kinda big for me.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms and what happened? I have a new prescription for Fiorecet but I'm worried I need to take it when I go home since I get drowsy pretty easily. (I had a toradol shot right before we flew in April to help the headaches and I was out for a day)

I'm hoping nothing is too serious, but I think I'm in need of just a teeny bit of pixie dust to make sure it'll be ok.

I am experiencing the same thing. I went in, I am 28, and have had them for about 8weeks now, same symptoms you experience. I had the check for tumors and aneurysms and such and all negative, so apparently it is just migraines. I am now on meds that just make me tired but I still have a headache just less intense. There is hope somewhere in this, just experiment with different meds, you will find something that works. Also, follow the diet list. Staying away from cheese and chocolate is suppose to help.

beksy
07-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I can't help out with your question but just wanted to say good luck and that we are thinking of you! Hopefully it is just the migraines but the waiting is the hardest part. Sending pixie dust and happy thoughts your way and remember your Intercot friends are here when you need us! :pixie::tink:

brewcrew26
07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Also, follow the diet list. Staying away from cheese and chocolate is suppose to help.

I didn't know cheese was a trigger. Can't help that I'm from the dairy state...

brewcrew26
07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Well my scan is tomorrow morning. I should know in about a week the results. I did get some blood test results from last week in today. My doctor says she needs to do some more tests on my blood because I'm not creating enough white blood cells. She says it might just be anemia but I have to schedule another blood draw for next week.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I'll be sure to keep everyone up-to-date with what I find out.

mrsgaribaldi
07-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Fellow migraine sufferer here. If you are used to alot of caffeine and you've cut down that can cause headaches. I also take Maxalt and it works great. I also take a beta blocker to try and prevent them but that doesn't work for me. I can't go any higher on the dose because my blood pressure is to low. One thing that worked really well is accupuncture. There are also OTC meds made that you take everyday to try and keep the migraines away. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers on the way for all tests to be negative. PM me if you need any help. I've had them for years and years now:mickey: Only one really bad one in Disney that ruined our night.:ill:

SurferStitch
07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I also take Maxalt and it works great.

Maxalt is a life saver. It works really well on my migraines.

brewcrew26
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I got my MRI results back this morning. It came back negative. Looks like I have some inflammation in my sinuses probably due to allergies and a possibly cyst forming there. Otherwise, my blood tests came back, too. Doc found that I'm anemic and not getting enough iron (weird with all the spinach I eat). So, I need to start taking a multi-vitamin.

As for the headaches, nothing bad this week. Just keeping an eye out on what might be triggering them.

For those of you who do have headaches, do you keep a physical journal of when you get them or mentally kinda take notes of your triggers? What do you suggest?

brewcrew26
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
P.S. I'm ecstatic it's nothing worse!!! :cloud9:

meldan98
07-30-2008, 02:15 PM
I just kept a physical journal on a note pad. I noted everything I ate, drank, and became exposed to. By exposed to, I mean, did I smell any strong chemicals, perfumes, etc. I also noted any symptoms I felt as well as anything else going on with my body (time of the month, aches, pains, sleep amount, etc.) I even went as far as checking the allergy report in my area and noted what high for that day. When I got symptoms of headachs (aura, spots in vision, etc.) I noted those as well with the time and then noted when I got my headache. My dr. told me to just keep track of as much as I could. I did it for about 2-3 months. Trust me, in was a pain in the next (figuratively). I found that my migranes were hormonal.

ftwildernesskid
07-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I have also suffered from migranes since my early 20s. So does my dad, and my grandmother. I can't take Imitrex because it makes my throat constrict. Does anyone happen to know if Maxalt is in that family of drugs? I'll ask my dr. also, but I was just curious. Also, if I feel an aura coming on, if I get a bunch of caffeine in me quickly, it can help the migrane go away. It has to do with reopening the constricted blood vessles that cause the migranes. Mine are also hormonally triggered, so no birth control for me either. They do stink!

mickeys_princess_mom
08-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I Also, if I feel an aura coming on, if I get a bunch of caffeine in me quickly, it can help the migrane go away. It has to do with reopening the constricted blood vessles that cause the migranes
This is true for me, too! So glad to read it and know that I'm not crazy. If I can I hurry and take a couple of Tylenol. If not I grab a Coke and a candy bar, and just sit down somewhere till it passes. Taking a quick nap usually ends it. I hardly ever get them cause I take meds, but every now and then...