PDA

View Full Version : I'd Love some DW Free Wireless!

forbella
07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I know I may be going out on a limb here, but geez do I wish Disney would offer up free, dare I say it...FREE wireless internet with any resort stay (more so at the Value Resorts). The big and small hotel chains offer up said free wireless. I just wish Disney would see it as a way to get more people in (not that they would really need to) or happier (more accommodated). I'm not one that surfs all day and night- I'm at DW, but I'm an avid blogger and would love to be able to post to my sites in the evenings without paying a charge for the internet access...do I sound like a scrooge here, sorry! Anyone else out there feel me, "understand me?" Okay, I know I could go out and get either a wireless card or iphone or even hook up my cell phone and burn up some data blocks...but really, I do wish I could have my cake and eat some too...
:number1:
Power to the Nerdy Educators I say!!!:cool:

medic9016
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I sent an email to Disney a few weeks ago asking about the same thing. I got the corporate reply. Thanks for your concern, we will look into this and forward this to the correct department.

sleeping beauty77
07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
No kidding. My Dh has had to work out of town and stayed at a hotel for $60 a night and had free internet. Not to be so negative, but when you spend $400 a night on a " cheap " room in deluxe it's kinda of frustrating to have to spend anything additional to that. I think Disney could afford it.:twocents: Don't get me wrong, I know I'm lucky if we get to stay at a nice resort, but most all hotels have free internet. And a cheaper pricetag.:soapbox: I'm done now. Whew!

jonahbear2006
07-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree with this. Disney should offer free wi fi to deluxe resorts $325+ a night is enough to pay for a room without paying for wi fi too. I also believe that getting a wi fi card is a great idea. There are an unlimited amount of uses for this and well, we would love to have one, my husband being a geek agent and all. He always finds great uses for these gadgets that people never thought up. Thanks for the idea. I just might get one of those for the trip.

Young@Heart
07-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Honestly, I think think they should offer in all their resort, in every single room! Heck, I can get free WiFi at McDonalds! I'm shocked that we still can't at WDW. :confused:

Seasonscraps
07-18-2008, 07:11 AM
This was always one of my gripes. It doesn't even need to be WiFi; free wired access would be great. Or a length of stay type package 3 days for $23, 5 days for $35, etc. Disney finally caved and offers free service to DVC members staying in villas using points.

TheRustyScupper
07-18-2008, 08:40 AM
1) No.
2) No.
3) No.
4) No.
5) No.
6) If you want internet, then pay for it.
7) Someone has to pay for the costs of internet access and equipment.
8) Why should I subsidize folks who want to bring a laptop?
9) The majority of people do not bring laptops, so they shouldn't pay.

NOTE: I am not going into the argument as to why people would want to bring laptops on vacation. I am only addressing who should pay for, or share the cost of, internet. At budget hotels, the cost of internet is spread across all room rates.

Seasonscraps
07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
1) No.
2) No.
3) No.
4) No.
5) No.
7) Someone has to pay for the costs of internet access and equipment.
8) Why should I subsidize folks who want to bring a laptop?

NOTE: I am not going into the argument as to why people would wnt to bring laptops on vacation. I am only addressing who should pay for or share the cost of internet.

That can also be said about other ammenities at DW. Not everyone uses magical express, the resort playgrounds, the pools, disney transportation, etc.

Disney_Barbie
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
There're not technically disney-owned and it's not WiFi (haha, so it's pretty much not at all what you're requesting) but the next closest thing (in my opinon) is that the Swan/Dolphin have unlimited free (kinda, it's included in your $10/nt resort fee) High speed in your room.

Polynesian Dweller
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM
There're not technically disney-owned and it's not WiFi (haha, so it's pretty much not at all what you're requesting) but the next closest thing (in my opinon) is that the Swan/Dolphin have unlimited free (kinda, it's included in your $10/nt resort fee) High speed in your room.

Hmm. But their web site says for all room types, "Charges Apply". They are a Starwood hotel and Starwood as a chain charges for internet.

I agree with everyone else, that Disney should move toward that, at least with wired free access. They still have lots of infrastructure to install before they are ready for wi-fi and my understanding, and maybe a CM can help us here, is that their internet is being provided by a contracted company.

forbella
07-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I agree, to me it's just another ammenitie- just more towards the 21st century. A telephone in the room? Running water? The cost of internet access for DW is really, really, really low in comparison to the cost of some of park ammenities most people don't use. Honestly- I'd trade the hotel's phone for some wired internet. Maybe that could be a package...you never know.
If anything offering up wireless internet (or wired) could actually make DW more money in terms of scheduling seating at venues, dinner arrangements, park schedules, special events...I could go on and on and on and I'm sure the marketing team has looked into this as well.

hokies4life
07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
This is one point that is making it hard for me to convince DBF to stay on property when we make our trip to WDW. Neither of us really spends much time away from our computers. He works with computers as his job and majored in Comp Sci in college and I've just grown accustomed to having one with me all the time. I could spend the week or so without a computer (I'm in Disney for gosh sakes) but I don't think he could (he's not as Disney obsessed as I am).

Are there any public computers avaliable to use anywhere?

:chipdale:

Disney_Barbie
07-18-2008, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Polynesian Dweller;1690311]Hmm. But their web site says for all room types, "Charges Apply". They are a Starwood hotel and Starwood as a chain charges for internet.
QUOTE]

I know! I LOVE the Swan/Dolphin but I will admit they need to keep a better handle on their website. There are many things included in the resort fee that they do not list on the website. But I can varify that it is free (well, ya'know not really, you're paying $10/nt for the resort fee, but you all know what I mean)

Disney Doll
07-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I think there should be free net access in all Disney resorts. The majority of folks might bring laptops if the access was easier and cheaper. I know I would. I don't have any crucial work to do while on vacation, but I've love to be able to check my email and upload a few vacation pictures to share with friends and family. I would trade the hotel phone and TV for free internet. Seems like the Disney resorts do try to go above and beyond for their guests and it just seems odd that they haven't been able to offer a better option for internet.

Polynesian Dweller
07-18-2008, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Polynesian Dweller;1690311]Hmm. But their web site says for all room types, "Charges Apply". They are a Starwood hotel and Starwood as a chain charges for internet.
QUOTE]

I know! I LOVE the Swan/Dolphin but I will admit they need to keep a better handle on their website. There are many things included in the resort fee that they do not list on the website. But I can varify that it is free (well, ya'know not really, you're paying $10/nt for the resort fee, but you all know what I mean)
Just to clarify, wasn't being critical. It would be nice to see Starwood go completely free as well. If the Swan and Dolphin can lead the way maybe the chain might learn something. I guess they and Disney don't see it as necessary to attract customers. But at some point Disney will need to see that the internet is becoming a necessity of life.

Young@Heart
07-19-2008, 01:44 AM

I have a feeling that the majority of people would bring laptops if there was free internet access available. I know we're bringing ours to use on the drive down (our hotel during our stops down/back has free internet), and we'll also upload pics from our digital camera each day to maximize space on our memory card.

KayDee
07-20-2008, 01:00 AM
What's a wireless card? And where can I get one? How do you go about using them?

SillyOldBear
07-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I would love to have internet included...and most hotels out there include it...we bring the laptop...same reason with the pics...download everyday, and I also would love to blog and post to friends and family during the trip...and also not have so many e-mails to check at the end of 10 days! Of course, we have a car and may drive to a Starbucks or something...

Vito
07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Here's my take on this...

As much as I would use broadband/wireless internet access at WDW, I think there are a couple of reasons ($$) that WDW doesn't have it.

I'd like to be able to quickly check weather forecasts, do some online grocery shopping if I had to, post an internet update of my trip, etc. I can still really do that, as I have Road Runner at home and they offer free dial up access numbers all around the country, so when on vacation I get free dial up. All it costs is a local phone call from the Disney hotel.

But anway, as for the reasons I believe that Disney doesn't do it:

1) I don't think demand is all that high. Yes, we here at intercot, for example, are probably avid computer/internet users, and are therefore not a typical sampling of Disney guests. We're more tech savvy and more interseted in computing.

2) Cost. Disney, while forcing certain costs to be incorporated into your overall experience (such as Magical Express), does NOT want add what are essentially luxuries that would bump up hotel room costs for all. They want to make those costs as low as possible, because that's the most attractive aspect of getting budget concious families to come. If the rates at the value resorts went up, that has a direct impact on visits.

3) Disney doesn't want you using the internet. (I can hear you already... "Say WHAT?" - let me explain). It's not that they don't like you using the internet... It's that they want to isolate you from the real world as much as possible. You stay happier this way. They don't want internet-addicts turning their Disney-resort minutes on the internet into hours that they could be spending doing other things around the resort (which includes spending money). Broadband can sometimes lull you into the internet world while everything passes you by before you know it. Then you've wasted an hour or two online and you're grumpy when you realize it (no pun intended ;) )

4) Internet access would take away some Disney revenue. Not a lot, perhaps, but it would have an impact. The more you can use the internet, the easier it is for you to find out other places to go while you're at WDW. It becomes easier to order tickets online, simpler to call for a taxi or town car service, simpler to rent a car and go off-property, simpler to order groceries from an online grocer, etc, etc, etc. All these factors result in the "outside world" encroaching in on the guest's "Disney Experience" and that's exactly what Disney wants to avoid.

I almost think that some of these things are actually for our own good, even if Disney does it for the wrong reason. I think a disconnection from something that's part of our daily lives (like the internet) can help keep us in our fantasy world at WDW. If we can spend some time on the internet, it almost zaps us away from our vacation and right back into what we have at home - fingertip access to all our internet favorites. It can almost make your WDW experience more "generic" in a way by allowing parts of your daily life to creep back into your Disney life.

So while it may be frustrating that Disney isn't with the times yet in something that's becoming widespread in most other hotels, I can see where they're coming from. Honestly, it's not all that big of a deal to me.

The added convenience of having the net there when I need it would be kind of nice, but I'm also kind of glad it's not so easily accessible. It forces me to give up on all my typical internet activity and in turn forces me to stay immersed in the Disney experience, helping to prevent real life from making an appearance.

big blue and hairy
07-20-2008, 02:23 PM
1) No.
2) No.
3) No.
4) No.
5) No.

I really wish you'd stop tiptoeing around the subject and give your opinion....:hi:

:sulley:

LynneM
07-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I just wish Disney would see it as a way to get more people in (not that they would really need to)

You answered your own question right there. They don't need to.

The hotels are full, the parks are packed. There's no business case to be made to support this, other than "the guests would like it". And the guests will come whether they provide free internet or not.

forbella
07-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I've read some great responses to my post about wireless at DW and I appreciate the free flow of thought both for and against. In the end I really think we'll see DW finding a way to make more profit in providing on site wireless in the hotels and in the park in the near future- too much extra revenue could be gained from it. For me, I'm just so accustomed to being in touch with the world via my laptop, ipod or phone...just a sign of the times I guess. :thumbsup:
Now if I could get them to offer up the keys to the Castle for just one evening!:cloud9:

Thanks friends!:mickey:

jonahbear2006
07-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Being that my husband is a well informed computer programmer and technician, I will have you know that all of disney has wireless internet installed for their business purposes, in every store, restaurant, resort, and every corner, and it would cost them nothing to encript their side of their computers and then allow for their customers to use free wi-fi, after all, most hotels do this anyways. This is soley a way for Disney to make a few extra bucks from the people who want to have their internet. once you have wireless internet, you have it and they, I guarantee, have the best routers available cause, well, it is disney. so, if you pay $325 and up a night, I see no reason why they can't offer you free wi fi. And, actually, wi fi is cheaper than wired internet connection. That would consist of having every room connected to the internet, whereas wi fi is just a very pricey router that would wirelessly give off a signal that your computer would be able to pick up when on their grounds.

a wireless card is like installing some hardware into your device, laptop or such, that allows you to have wi fi everywhere you go. I would check with your Best buy, they have the geek squad and they can help you get one or find a place that will do the work for you. I am not totally sure if they have these to sell or not. They may have to order it. It is something that is going to be pricey though, so I would intend on this being something you need to use in the future, not just for one trip.

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Being that my husband is a well informed computer programmer and technician, I will have you know that all of disney has wireless internet installed for their business purposes, in every store, restaurant, resort, and every corner, and it would cost them nothing to encript their side of their computers and then allow for their customers to use free wi-fi, after all, most hotels do this anyways.

Ok, and I'm a manager of an IT department. You never share access to your corporate, business critical networks, period. That's a primary security concept. Encryption does not stop determined hackers getting at information if you allow access in the first place. Soon as you allow access you are inviting hacking. And, hackers take vacations too and would be in WDW. So, it isn't as easy as that post makes it sound.

jonahbear2006
07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
they have the wi fi set up, they charge you for it 9.99 a day. I am saying once they have this set up, it isn't costing them anything anymore, they might as well continue to let it be a benefit to resort guests. Im not saying let the clients share the same line. I understand that they want their encription to stay secure.

LynneM
07-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, and I'm a manager of an IT department. You never share access to your corporate, business critical networks, period. That's a primary security concept. Encryption does not stop determined hackers getting at information if you allow access in the first place. Soon as you allow access you are inviting hacking. And, hackers take vacations too and would be in WDW. So, it isn't as easy as that post makes it sound.

Agreed. No way is Disney going to have the general public on their corporate network. Holy cow, my company makes it very tough for employees to get on the network (smart id cards, PKI) because of security concerns.

There's also bandwidth issues to consider. There's one heck of a difference between having your employees on a network, and the many tens of thousands of guests staying at or visiting Disney resorts.

Young@Heart
07-21-2008, 01:30 AM

This seems to make a lot of sense.
I realize that WDW does not need to bait guests w/ free internet, but I think it will be difficult for them to hold out much longer. This is just the world we're living in, and before long, I think WDW will "date themselves" if they don't give in and offer free internet. Whether or not they need to do things to lure in guests, I doubt they want to look bad in the public eye.

Vito
07-21-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm sure that eventually Disney will hop on board and finally install wireless interent.

I think however, for many of the reasons I've stated (primarily which is the cost of installing a resort wide system like that would outweight the benefits gained by doing so), they're in no rush do it.

Don't forget, Disney hotels are some of the largest, most spread out hotels you're going to find. Wireless routers only extend so far depending on technology and model. We're looking at a huge investment to get access to all of these hotels, in addition to the resort-wide bandwidth issues that might follow.

Sure, a small, 100 room hotel can provide broadband to its entire guest-base... perhaps only 5-10 people would be using the internet at once. For Disney however, with tens of thousands of on-property rooms, providing that much internet access to potentially thousands of internet users at once goes way beyond providing wireless interent to a hotel - it's essentially installing wireless interenet for a whole city.

Who knows what kind of infrastructure and wiring improvements would need to happen on the general property itself to pipe in that kind of total guest bandwidth. Again, it's like providing wireless internet to a whole city, and Disney probably just isn't interested at this stage in investing that kind of money in something that's not (yet) in that high demand.

When it becomes a situation where they have no choice, where wireless interent is the status quo in most homes, then Disney will hop on board. Right now, though, I don't think the widespread demand is there, and the amount of guests they're losing to nearby, interent-equipped hotels is probably very, very small.

Again I'm not saying that I wouldn't use it and that it wouldn't be a nice convenience, but for some reason, I'm not really begging for it. Other places need to do it because they're competing with tons of other hotels, while Disney doesn't have that same competition. They're on a whole different level. Adding broadband internet would be like adding a 5th cherry to your deluxe sundae - sure, we'd all love another cherry, but we're going to buy the sundae anyway, and it's still really good either way.

jonahbear2006
07-21-2008, 02:18 AM
I wasn't saying that they should allow guests on their router that they use for business. I was saying that since they are obviously already set up for wireless networking, that there is no reason why they should not give it to guests as a benefit. That was completely misunderstood. I think just mixing the two ideas that they do have a secure network with the fact that all the rooms are already set up for wi fi was a confusing statement. I didn't intend for disney to allow us on their business network.

Disney_Barbie
07-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Just to clarify, wasn't being critical.

Oh, I'm sorry if I sounded defensive, I totally wasn't being defensive OR thinking you were being critical, I honestly was agreeing with you that the website is incorrect.
I love the Swan/Dolphin and all starwood hotels, but they don't seem to always be on the same page (that is all the employees, all the policies, websites and such not) I have no idea how long it's been free, because we were always told in the past there was a surcharge so never used the ammenity. We just recently found out ourselves that it was included in the resort fee.
Sorry, wasn't being defensive, I was agreeing with you

Mackflava99
07-21-2008, 09:34 AM
I was recently at the WL in WDW and the DSL line in the room wasnt working, but they couldnt fix it - so since there was no wirelesss, i had to go to the contemporary and sit in the lobby to use their wireless.

It was a quick boat ride, but it was pretty stupid that a big hotel like the WL doesnt have wireless.

Polynesian Dweller
07-21-2008, 09:36 AM
I wasn't saying that they should allow guests on their router that they use for business. I was saying that since they are obviously already set up for wireless networking, that there is no reason why they should not give it to guests as a benefit. That was completely misunderstood. I think just mixing the two ideas that they do have a secure network with the fact that all the rooms are already set up for wi fi was a confusing statement. I didn't intend for disney to allow us on their business network.
Perhaps there are some misunderstandings here, but I confess I'm still not sure what you are referring to. They do not have the infrastructure for wireless in the rooms. They have it in some business conference areas but not the rooms.

I think I need to clarify what I mean by business network. To an IT manager that means the physical equipment. To allow the public access to the internet, I am going to set up a completely separate physical network that is in no way physically (hardware) connected to my corporate network (I've done that where I work). So, to provide this to the rooms they are going to have to provide considerable infrastructure to the rooms.

I think we are all in agreement that WiFI is something they need to work on but its not particularly simple to do and maintain any sort of security. Even on a separate network you have potential liability for activity on the network. So you have to control who accesses the guest system. This requires its own servers and support staff to monitor attempts to break in to your network. Its harder to manage that a wired network. So, it can sound simple to accomplish, but having done it I know that it is anything but.

So let's all agree, we'd like to see it and eventually the demand will cause it to happen.