PDA

View Full Version : Boneyard in AK

chefmickey3
07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Boneyard in DinoLand USA? Do you get to keep anything you find or are they big fossils? We have never taken the time to do this attraction but my 4 year old is very into dinosaurs and wants to try it. Thanks for any info.

KylesMom
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
A fossil of a mastadon is buried within the sand, and the kids have to dig to uncover the bones. DS enjoyed digging in the Boneyard at around age 4 - it's great fun for them. I'd recommend that you carry some type of slip-on deck shoe so that you can periodically empty the sand/rock mixture out! :) There is nothing to dig for that you can keep, however.

ryels
07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
It is lots of fun for the little kids, but I will warn you that it may not be so pleasant for adults.

For some reason, it gets UNBEARABLY hot in there. The sun reflects off the foam flooring in there and makes it like 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the park.

My kids had a blast in there, but I was miserable:( But that was just my experience. It might be better for you.;)

mickey&missy
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
The boneyard is a lot of fun for the kids. On our last trip the day we went to AK all ds wanted to know is "Can we go to the dinosaur playground now Mommy? PLLLLEEEEAAASSSSEEE?"

My kids have a lot of fun running around, climbing and sliding down the slides. Like the previous poster said it is, like ak in general, very hot! I recommend my strategy of sending DH in with the kids and finding a nice bench in the shade ;)

tys_mommy
07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Although this was a nice attraction for us to visit while DS10 and hubby rode Dinosaur I don’t advise one worry-wort type of a parent trying to keep tabs on 2 active children at once. Both our 2 y/o and at the time walking 10 month old had a lot of fun here but it was hard to keep chasing the baby while waiting at the bottom of the slide for the 2 y/o – I didn’t dare let him climb into the net type jungle gym thing until hubby and big brother met back up with us. It wasn't that bad though I'm sure we'll use this as our meeting spot again next month when we go.