PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai Disneyland

RBrooksC
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
This is taken from IMDB.com and their Studio Briefing.

Report: Disney To Announce Shanghai Disneyland After Olympics

16 July 2008 10:29 AM, PDT

Despite repeated denials from both sides of the negotiations, Disney and the Chinese government are expected to announce following the summer Olympics that Disney will build the world's largest theme park near Shanghai, which could open as early as 2012, Disney watcher Jim Hill said on his website Tuesday. According to Hill, who cited no sources, the Chinese government has agreed to spend upwards of $40 billion on infrastructure -- roads, sewer lines, water and electrical lines, etc. -- and the land, while Disney would develop the theme park and control 51 percent of the joint venture. Hill also claimed that the park will mark a departure from the themes of other "Magic Kingdoms" in that it will be the first designed with the contribution of Pixar artists. "According to Imagineers that I've spoken with," Hill wrote, "Shanghai Disneyland will be the most Pixar-centric theme park on the planet."

Permalink | Report a problem

MegaDisney
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I have also heard that the Magic Kingdom park there will be the largest in the world.

I always take Hill with a grain of salt so we will see what transpires after the Olympics.

brianlw71
07-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Very cool, I am moving to Shanghai in Dec.:thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Jim Hill.

Enough said. :rolleyes:

RBrooksC
07-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Ok, please indulge me... who is Jim Hill and why does he seem not credible?

BMan62
07-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok, please indulge me... who is Jim Hill and why does he seem not credible?

Jim Hill seems to jump on any 'blue sky' rumor and act like it is gospel truth. His batting average, to use a baseball analogy, is about .333 -- Good for a ballplayer, but not so good for someone purporting to be an expert/insider on Disney information.

DisneyLuver91
07-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Doesn't Asia have enough Disneylands?!??! :confused:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
They have 3 parks there.

HKDL, TDS, and TDL.

We have 4 in Florida alone. Plus the 2 in California. And we're nowhere close in terms of geographical size or population as Asia. I think they need more parks there to handle the crowds.

Melanie
07-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Just to clarify -

HKDL, TDS, and TDL.

HKDL - Hong Kong Disneyland
TDS - Tokyo DisneySea
TDL - Tokyo Disneyland

Although it may seem obvious to some of us, some folks aren't as abbreviation savvy as others. :mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-22-2008, 01:25 AM
I think this needs to be put on hold until Hong Kong Disneyland starts showing more promise. While yes, Hong Kong is an island in the extreme south of China there are still millions of people in the immediate mainland area. If the Disney name isn't going to draw people from the mainland to Hong Kong to visit, I highly doubt a park near Shanghai, regardless of the fact that it's in one of the most populous regions of the Chinese mainland, is going to do much better.

The fact is that China's exposure to Disney has been considerably less than the other countries that have Disney parks. China has only become familiar with Disney and its brands in the last few decades and it, therefore, is not as ingrained in their culture as it is here, in Europe, or in Japan. It just doesn't have the same draw in China that it has in other parts of the world.

lockedoutlogic
07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
They have 3 parks there.

HKDL, TDS, and TDL.

We have 4 in Florida alone. Plus the 2 in California. And we're nowhere close in terms of geographical size or population as Asia. I think they need more parks there to handle the crowds.

i think your argument is a little off of center.....

china is not exactly rolling in anything but american trade debt....

it is just that.....debt....not capital....

there are somewhere just south of 2 billion chinese.....and that would mean alot of parks....

but by and large they are dirt poor....and disney would be wise to not cater to those who have much at the expense of all their countrymen who have little or nothing....

people now seem to view china as "just another country".......

it is not.....we should make sure we realize that....

even hong kong is a falsehood....as they basically preserved the financial structure that the rest of the country does not follow to allow european and american liquid capital to flow through......

not that i'm advocating more american parks....i think we're fine.....

but we do still have a strangle hold on the world cash cow......and that's why we gotsda parks......

if you want to build where the money is......how about Riyadh or Dubai?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't think Disney would build in Dubai. They'd be stupid to.

Dubai is nothing but land dug up and made to look pretty in the form of an island. Meaning, it'd be very unstable. Not to mention it's a little too close for comfort to the Middle East, where there are still a lot of wars and terrorism. If any place would be attacked, it would be the one that best represents American culture - Disney.

Which is exactly why I think Disney hasn't built anything out there.

As for HKDL, I think the reason that IF Disney were to build out there would be to help the economy more by providing more tourism money, and creating new jobs for a lot of those Chinese without them.

lockedoutlogic
07-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't think Disney would build in Dubai. They'd be stupid to.

Dubai is nothing but land dug up and made to look pretty in the form of an island. Meaning, it'd be very unstable. Not to mention it's a little too close for comfort to the Middle East, where there are still a lot of wars and terrorism. If any place would be attacked, it would be the one that best represents American culture - Disney.

Which is exactly why I think Disney hasn't built anything out there.

As for HKDL, I think the reason that IF Disney were to build out there would be to help the economy more by providing more tourism money, and creating new jobs for a lot of those Chinese without them.

fair enough.....

as for dubai.....i agree that we'll never see disney go there....even though all their competitors are setting up shop there as we speak.....

dubai is small and has no oil....something most don't know....

they've made most of their money being a booking agent for oil to the rest of the world....

yes....they were the Enron of the middle east.....

now they are building ridiculous tourist sites to cater to the uber rich in the hopes of propping their economy on the tourist buck......

and they do cater to "anglo" things....like golf courses and resort hotels.....

somebody's buying....though disney would never go there

Imagineer1981
07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
I think this needs to be put on hold until Hong Kong Disneyland starts showing more promise. While yes, Hong Kong is an island in the extreme south of China there are still millions of people in the immediate mainland area. If the Disney name isn't going to draw people from the mainland to Hong Kong to visit, I highly doubt a park near Shanghai, regardless of the fact that it's in one of the most populous regions of the Chinese mainland, is going to do much better.

The fact is that China's exposure to Disney has been considerably less than the other countries that have Disney parks. China has only become familiar with Disney and its brands in the last few decades and it, therefore, is not as ingrained in their culture as it is here, in Europe, or in Japan. It just doesn't have the same draw in China that it has in other parts of the world.

Hong Kong is the most westernized place in China. If DL isn't doing that well there, it won't do better anywhere else. I can't help but think that this Shanghi idea is just to compete with Dubailand.

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 07:14 PM
I can't help but think that this Shanghi idea is just to compete with Dubailand.

Seeing as there are nearly 4000 miles between Shanghai and Dubai, I doubt that is it.

It has more to do with the Billion plus people in China.

DizneyFreak2002
07-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I think this may happen... When? Who knows... Guess we will see if Jim Hill is right on this one....

kms1066heb
07-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I just read in today's on-line Wall Street Journal about Disney in talks with Shanghai. Here's the link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121703649226686865.html?mod=hps_us_my_companies . Seems like there may be something to this rumor.

Celestria
07-25-2008, 11:54 PM
i don't think disney should build another park. they need to work on the others a bit more. are there a lot of people there, yes. but why build something there if one of the 3 there is already having a hard time

PECOS BILL
08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
All that space. A beautiful airport. An excellent highway system. Other world class parks in the same vicinity.
WDW is prime for a real resurgence and freshening. I would love to see a DISNEY SEA type of undertaking.

We love castmembers!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
And who would work there?

The reason why Disney shouldn't do anything else other than refurb/refresh and new attractions is because there isn't anyone to work the parks. They have an incredibly high turnover rate not to mention they just put a hiring freeze up.

You can build more parks, sure. But you'll get some of the worst CM's out there, or more international/college programmers. There just isn't enough Disney-quality labor in Orlando.

Aero
08-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Dubai is nothing but land dug up and made to look pretty in the form of an island. Meaning, it'd be very unstable.

Sounds kind of like Orlando...

- Aero

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Not really.

Florida is not man-made. Swampland, yes. But not man-made.

MegaDisney
08-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Dubai is nothing but land dug up and made to look pretty in the form of an island. Meaning, it'd be very unstable. Not to mention it's a little too close for comfort to the Middle East, where there are still a lot of wars and terrorism.

I am sorry I have to comment.

Dubai was not built. There are islands that were built off the coast for residential and to increase the amount of coastline, but Dubai is not an island. Check a map.

There have been more terrorist attacks in the US than in Dubai. The only wars in the region were started by and being fought by the US. Dubailand is being built in the city not on an island.

I don't understand why people post stuff like this without any research or understanding of the country, its people or culture.

Celestria
08-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Not really.

Florida is not man-made. Swampland, yes. But not man-made.

hehehehehe true and funny!!!