PDA

View Full Version : Pools in December

MMouse6937
07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
So will we be able to swim in December? I know the pools are heated but is it really possible to lay out by the pool and relax in the middle of the day and not freeze to death? Also, if you were going to park out by the pool at a certain resort during that cooler time of year what resort would you pick? We were going to stay at POP but I was thinking of maybe switching to WL, what do you guys think? Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Tinkerbellfan
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Hello,

The weather in December greatly varies. One day it can be 80 degrees while the next day it can be 60. During our December '07 December trip, we were able to lay out and get some sun every day!
And, we enjoyed the pool every day and a soak in the hot tubs every night!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
;) I don't know about laying out in December-when we were there last time Dec. 2005 it was pleasant-temps in the low 70s in the middle of the day with mornings and evenings quite cooler but when we went the first week of Jan. in 2003 it was really cold, we had to go buy sweatshirts...having said that my son swam both times....he just wrapped up to run back to the room

disneymom15
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
We've been there in Dec several times. The weather ranged between 50 to near 90 degrees.

Gator
07-16-2008, 03:53 PM
When I was there in Dec 2006, the temps never got over 70. Perfect for parks, not so perfect for pools.

Strmchsr
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Check the historic weather conditions page in Info Central which shows exact weather for your dates for the last 4 years. That will give you a good idea of what to expect. After all, what's freezing to you might be perfect for me, so looking at data is the best way to get your answer.

WishingStar2006
07-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree...I don't think you're going to be "laying out in the sun by the pool" in December. We were there last December and it was pretty chilly...especially in the morning and the evenings...anyone swimming quickly covered with a towel and ran back to the hotel (or room).

However, December weather in Florida can change....I like the idea of getting the historical information...but I would not plan on laying out being somethig you make time for in your schedule.

Dsnygirl
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
:hi: Sarah! I've had the same question, and actually was crazy enough to go and write down the temps for the last four years that match while we'll be there -- seems like it's gotten warmer each year, last year being the warmest with days in the high 70's/low 80's and evenings in the high 50's/low 60's. Sounds perfect -- but it also makes me wonder if the weather "cycles itself" and will head back towards a cooler trend now, or still get warmer... ;)

I'm surprised you think we'll have time to crash by the pool -- I'm trying desperately to find time to fit that in, as they're re-doing the pool at CBR and I'd like to enjoy it!! (just realized you'll be there in Sept.... you'll have to let me know how it's coming along!!)

As far as switching resorts, I'd go for WL if the pool's the reason to do it -- it's gorgeous!! :thumbsup: (Can we come join you?? :D)

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Check the historic weather conditions page in Info Central which shows exact weather for your dates for the last 4 years. That will give you a good idea of what to expect. After all, what's freezing to you might be perfect for me, so looking at data is the best way to get your answer.

:blush: Exactly, my boss went once in December and he said they were huddling in blankets and sweats and there were a bunch of people from " up North" down in the pool....

Strmchsr
07-16-2008, 06:07 PM
:Sounds perfect -- but it also makes me wonder if the weather "cycles itself" and will head back towards a cooler trend now, or still get warmer... ;)

Yes, weather definitely cycles! That's one of the reasons all of these folks who are screaming "global warming" are nuts. Yes, the earth (including FL) has warmed in the recent years, but in the last couple of years it's been on a cooling trend. Note how cold last winter was and how much cooler this summer has been (except out in California) than previous years. So, I would expect Florida to see some much cooler Decembers coming up soon, especially with solar activity going so low recently.

Dsnygirl
07-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, weather definitely cycles! That's one of the reasons all of these folks who are screaming "global warming" are nuts. Yes, the earth (including FL) has warmed in the recent years, but in the last couple of years it's been on a cooling trend. Note how cold last winter was and how much cooler this summer has been (except out in California) than previous years. So, I would expect Florida to see some much cooler Decembers coming up soon, especially with solar activity going so low recently.
Thanks for the note! That's exactly what I'd been thinking, but not being a "weather person", I hesitated to really jump on that thought. I guess I've been hoping that December will be warm, but I've probably been more expecting it to be cooler like it's been lately... and hey, "cool" in Florida is still lovely for those of us from up here! :thumbsup:

faline
07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
We've been in December a number of times. On many trips, we have certainly been able to spend the entire day by the pool quite comfortably. On our last December trip, we hit a cold spell and didn't find it warm enough to do more than glance at the pool as we walked by. Other December trips have featured a combination of pool/non-pool days (temperature wise). I'd certainly suggest you bring your suits. You may find it warm enough to swim (or not)!

bkfree
07-17-2008, 12:18 PM
We went the second week of Jan 06 and it was downright hot every day. We wore shorts day and night. I had packed wayyy to many warm clothes. We swam and laid out at the pool and if was great.
We are going this Dec. and I have decided to scale back on the warm clothes for sure.
I will probably take one pair of jeans, 2 long sleeve shirts, 1 sweat shirt and light weight jacket per person for our 8 day trip.Layering will be the answer if it gets cold. I can wash jeans while there.
If we need more we will buy it there.
I also agree that cold or warm is subjective to the person. We are fairly hot natured so we don't put on pants until is dips below a high of 65 and jackets when it dips below 55.

Taja
07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
You may have to shift days around to accommodate Mother Nature, but you're likely to have some pool and sunning days in December.

In December 2007 (7th through 17th), daytime temps were in the 80s and nights in the 70s--until our last three days. Cooled down rapidly and was 35 degrees at 1 p.m. when we left on the 17th! ****BRRRRRR****

Prior years it's been a very mixed bag. Cooler mornings, usually warmer afternooons and cooler evenings, with a few wicked cold (by my standards) nights mixed in.

Layers are your friend! :)