PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian, AKL Or Wilderness Lodge?

AlyceMarie03
07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
We still have so much time to decide on where we would like to stay next year but I really want to get as much detail as I can about these 3 Resorts.:)

It'll be just my Fiance & I on this trip (We don't have kids) & we really want something Relaxing & Romantic. Fun as well but that's a given!:cloud9:

Which would you pick out of the 3? Any Advice is Appreciated!:mickey:

pooh0601
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
The first question that you must ask yourself is, what role does money play in your decision? If you don't mind spending about $100 more per night, then the Poly is definently the way to go. That hotel simply has everything you could possibly ask for IMO. Plus it's also the only 1 of the 3 that have monorail service.

Between the WL and AKL, if you are going to be spending a lot of time at the MK, then I would suggest the WL merely because of it's proximity. If seeing the animals out of your hotel room excite you, then the AKL Savannah View would be the way to go. However, keep in mind, the Savannah view rate will make you pay around the same price as a Garden View at the Poly.

The Std. view rooms at the AKL and WL are identically priced usually. Both hotels are of similar design, with the AKL being a lot darker inside IMO. Both have a very nice lobby area.

Poly and WL are my 2 favs. You could always just go to AK one morning to get your animal "fix". Depending on how much time you plan on spending in the room, the Savannah view might not justify it's price.

AlyceMarie03
07-16-2008, 03:19 PM
The first question that you must ask yourself is, what role does money play in your decision? If you don't mind spending about $100 more per night, then the Poly is definently the way to go. That hotel simply has everything you could possibly ask for IMO. Plus it's also the only 1 of the 3 that have monorail service.

Between the WL and AKL, if you are going to be spending a lot of time at the MK, then I would suggest the WL merely because of it's proximity. If seeing the animals out of your hotel room excite you, then the AKL Savannah View would be the way to go. However, keep in mind, the Savannah view rate will make you pay around the same price as a Garden View at the Poly.

The Std. view rooms at the AKL and WL are identically priced usually. Both hotels are of similar design, with the AKL being a lot darker inside IMO. Both have a very nice lobby area.

Poly and WL are my 2 favs. You could always just go to AK one morning to get your animal "fix". Depending on how much time you plan on spending in the room, the Savannah view might not justify it's price.

Thanks for the Info! Money does not play into our decision. We really just want a great Honeymoon so we're open to everything.:)

Our #1 Choice is Poly & then 2nd would be WL. AKL is our last choice. We're definitely going to look more into WL & Poly because like you said, we can always go to AKL to see the Animals.

I know that we want to be close to MK or atleast have a view of it where we decide to stay...

Besides Poly having the Monorail Service, Which other 2 have it?

Tygger7
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Poly is the only one out of the ones you listed with monorail service. WL is a close second because you can take a boat across the lake to MK. It takes a little longer than the bus, but it's my favorite way to get around WDW. I just love being out on the water. :cloud9:

I've always wanted to stay at Poly, but so far haven't been able to bring myself to spend the extra money. We love WL and I would rather stay an extra day or two than to have a shorter stay at Poly. Just my two cents though. :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Besides Poly having the Monorail Service, Which other 2 have it?

The monrail hotels are the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary. The Poly is the most laid back and relaxing of the three, the Contemporary is the closest to MK (but oddly the furthest via monorail 4 stops whil the Poly is two and GF 1). GF is setup like th grand elegant Floridian hotels of the past.

But for pure relaxation and romance, its very hard to beat the Polynesian with a lagoon or MK view.

Minnie Imagineer
07-17-2008, 07:25 AM
My #1 choice is Poly, it's my favorite. I love the beach-theme, pool, rooms, shopping there.
2nd, I would say WL. I stayed there last time and I liked it, but I didn't love it. I am not one for a 'camp'-theme.
Poly just makes me feel like i'm in Disney and it's magical-plus monorail
I have never stayed at AKL

mickeefan
07-17-2008, 08:28 AM
We really love the Poly. It seems to have everything and great transportation options.
Besides being on the monorail you can catch a boat to the MK or walk over to the TTC and catch a monorail direct to Epcot. Also for a change of pace you can walk over to the TTC and catch the big ferry boat to the MK.
It's really a beautiful resort. If you click on my name and go to my homepage there are around 125 pictures of the Poly.

SurferStitch
07-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Out of your 3 choices, I would definitely choose the Poly. We stayed there for the first time last December, and we loved it. Our room was beautiful (Tokelau), and we had a view of the castle with our garden view room price! It wasn't a huge view, but you could see it.

We were never interested in WL. Just doesn't do anything for us, even though it is beautiful. We've talked about trying AKL, but I'm just not keen on needing a bus to get everywhere from there. The couple of times we've taken a bus from AK to AKL, we've had 30 minute waits, which seems awfully long for a resort that's only a few minutes away.

Our favorite is the GF, but the Poly is definitely second on our list. You'll love it!

doombuggy
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
You've picked 3 winners, but I have to agree with most of the posters and suggest the Poly for your honeymoon. I think it would be perfect! Mickeefan has made some good points about getting around.

The Grand Floridian is modeled after the Hotel Del Coronado in southern Calif.

Have a wonderful honeymoon, no matter where you stay! You can't lose!
:thumbsup:

Tigerinvestigator
07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
POLY! The other two are great resorts but the Poly is simply the best at WDW. We have stayed multiple times at all three but if money was not a problem we would stay at the Poly every single time. The atmosphere is more relaxing than anywhere at WDW with lush tropical landscaping, and a nice beach area. The monorail to MK and Epcot is very nice, or you can catch a boat across seven seas lagoon if the monorail lines get long. We also enjoy the stroll over to Grand Floridian. Ohana's is a great choice for dinner, but make sure you get a reservation during Wishes because it has a perfect view of the fireworks and Cinderella castle and they pipe the Wishes music into the restaurant. :thumbsup:

AlyceMarie03
07-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Wow!! I think after reading everyones thoughts, we may have to look more into Poly!! I looked at some pictures & I Really do Love the way it looks!!

Thanks for the Info & tips everyone!! I appreciate it!!:mickey:

Marek 4
07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Having spent my honeymoon at the WL, I would definitely say that would be my top choice. Very cozy and romantic - niches everywhere to hide and curl up together. We NEVER had a problem with transportation (not being on the monorail). Don't get me wrong, I think either the WL or the Poly would be a wonderful experience (never been to AKL)-you can't go wrong. Don't forget to let them know it is your honeymoon when you check in, book ADR's ect. We always ended up getting special treatment and little surprises left for us everywhere we went by CM's!