PDA

View Full Version : PORQ to AKL upgrade-Pros and Cons

bkfree
07-16-2008, 11:09 AM
After looking things over we realized we could upgrade from POFQ ot AKL for only $400 more dollars for the week we will be in WDW.

We have never stayed at either one. We are really looking forward to POFQ and have read much about it. The small size, Theme and Boat and carriage ride is attractive to us.We have an end unit ground floor water view room ressie per our TA.
Our son has very HF ASD so being able to get out of the room a little makes his hotel stay better.

Our last trip we stayed at the YC and really liked it because he had a balcony. But we did not want to stay there again because we wanted to try out other resorts and did not want to pay the $300+ per night.We LOVED YC and its location I fear has spoiled us.

So those of you who have stayed at both AKL and POFQ give me your true assessment.
Ride times to parks etc.
I don't want "go for it" simply because it is a deluxe or because it costs more. I am looking for some real reasons to stay at FQ or to make the leap distance and moneywise to AKL.
Thanks

TammiMcMan
07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Kim, you didn't mention what view that additional $400 would get you or when you'd be going. A consideration at the AKL is the construction going on for the DVC units. I had heard that there is a possibilty the animals would be removed from the Sunset Savannah from January through April because of construction. If you're going during that time frame and looking at savannah view, that could be a concern.

RedSoxFan
07-16-2008, 12:23 PM
On our 2005 trip, we upgraded from POFQ to AKL. We got 2 pool view rooms (there are 6 of us) for an extra $800. I loved it and it was worth the money. The lobby is spectacular and the gift shop is unique. We never had any problems with the busses. Hardly ever had to wait for a bus and I didn't find it long to go anywhere. I would have stayed there this year but it was over a $1000 more to stay and this time there are just 4 of us so we only need one room (2 kids in college this year). Enjoy if you make the switch.

bkfree
07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Sorry I did not give enough info.
We are going Dec.3-10

At POFQ we would have a water view ground floor end unit.

At AKL just a standard view, standard room. I am not too concerned about the room view, there are lots of viewing areas and we don't spend a lot of time in the room. My son, who has mild autism, does need enjoy a balcony or space to get outside, which both resorts will seem to offer in a different manner.

It is in value season thus the $400 difference in the 7 night stay.
Thanks.

TammiMcMan
07-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Kim, both resorts offer something special and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. POFQ has the marina activities and boat to DTD, plus a pretty cool dragon slide pool. AKL is very unique with it's savannah, you don't share a bus with any other resorts and it's not a long walk back to your room after a full day at the park.

If your son is picky about what he eats, you may just want to doublecheck the restaurants at AKL. I believe Mara, the counter service restaurant is the only thing opened at lunch time. It does offer pizza, chicken and hamburgers. For dinner, you have Boma's buffet in addition to Jiko and Mara. I think POFQ has more dining options.

Aggie97
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
We stayed at POFQ in Nov. '07 and AKL in June '08. It was our first time at each resort. We do not have kids yet, so I cannot speak to the resorts from that perspective. :)

POFQ pluses: grounds and buildings are pretty, quaint and small (in a good way); cute pool area; beignets for breakfast from the food court; relaxing atmosphere

POFQ minuses: smaller room size, with two double beds; lack of TS dining options; limited on-site shopping; shared bus service with POR (we felt it was very time-consuming); louder in our room (due to exterior walkways/staircases); location away from parks

AKL pluses: gorgeous lobby, grounds, savannahs, pool; relaxing at the resort to watch the animals (watching with night vision binoculars was so cool); large and unique resort shop; Boma (really liked it) and Jiko (loved it); good-to-excellent bus service; unique room decor, with two queen beds or one king bed; very quiet; relaxing atmosphere

AKL minuses: rooms smaller than other deluxe resorts (except WL); location away from parks (except AK)

At both resorts, we felt a bit isolated from all the "Disney action," which could be a plus or a minus, depending on your preference. It was a minus for us, as we have stayed on the monorail for most of our trips. We are giving WL a try in Oct., which will allow us to be closer to the MK and other resorts while still spending much less than we usually do!

Our bottom line experience: we likely will not stay at POFQ again but will stay at AKL. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time! :mickey:

bkfree
07-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks.

Last trip we stayed at YC, which to me is the best location and in the middle of the action, so I don't expect either of these two choices to come close to that.

We will be on the DDP and I have all our 7TS dinner ADR's made(One in at Boma) so we don't really eat at our resort, so I guess that is not an issue either.

Yall have brought some good points that I had not thought about.
AKL being in one big indoor building is one thing I had not thought about......but I think that maybe the kids and DH might like the ease of getting outside and roaming around the POFQ offers.
I also was reading the other thread about the Jazz musician on the weekend at POFQ and my son is a music lover as well as playing musical instruments, so I am pondering that extra also.
I think one thing that got me to consider the upgrade was that the end of our week, will be POP Warner and I had read that a spillover resort is POR and I think that had me a little gun shy. But maybe POFQ, not so much and it seems that most is at the value resorts. Maybe someone can comment on this concern.

AKL plus is of course theming, non sharing of buses, Queen beds and balcony so that the kids would be somewhat contained, but they will be almost 8 and 10 and are not wanderers so being outside the room at FQ will most likely be OK, since DAD watches them like a hawk
If you truly get to see the animals in the savannahs alot, that of course is a plus. Although AK is our least favorite park, that should not reflect our enjoyment of AKL.
AARRGGHHH! Decisions-Decisions.
Why did I even let my mind wander to this option:confused::confused::confused:

TammiMcMan
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I think one thing that got me to consider the upgrade was that the end of our week, will be POP Warner and I had read that a spillover resort is POR and I think that had me a little gun shy. But maybe POFQ, not so much and it seems that most is at the value resorts. Maybe someone can comment on this concern.They aren't overflow resorts anymore, last year both POR and POFQ were options for the Pop Warner package. I have heard that the food courts can get very overrun and at certain times of the day, the busses can be crowded. It might be a concern if you do plan on spending a fair amount of time at your resort.

bkfree
07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
OOH , Thanks Tammy.
I am now considering WL. I did not realize that it had a boat to CR and the Electric Parade on the lake. For some reason I Had never really checked out this resort too much, but today for some reason I seem to be reading some really good things about it.
SO now, POFQ to WL, how is that switch?

TammiMcMan
07-17-2008, 04:16 PM
SO now, POFQ to WL, how is that switch?Now there's a switch I would make in a heartbeat. IMO, it's one of the best resorts during the Christmas season. There's a nice trail that leads to the FW campground, if you wanted to rent some bikes. Pefect combination of beautiful resort decorations on the inside and plenty of outside activities. In the past few years, they've offered a "sleigh" ride from the WL. I think it's a 90 day reservation, so you may want to keep an eye out for that, if you do decide to stay there.