PDA

View Full Version : Sample Theme Park Injuries

TheRustyScupper
07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Heart attack, broken bones are reported at theme parks
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
July 16, 2008

A heart attack at Wet 'n Wild and two broken ankles at other attractions were among the serious ride incidents at Central Florida theme parks this spring, according to state records released Tuesday.

The parks alerted state authorities to 14 incidents in which riders suffered serious injuries or illnesses during the months of April, May and June, plus one reported late from a March incident.

Major theme-park rides are exempt from state inspection regulation, but they agree to report serious ride incidents, typically those that involve at least an overnight hospital stay. The Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection then releases those reports quarterly.

Among those released Tuesday was the report of a woman, 48, who had a heart attack on the Brain Wash slide at Wet 'n Wild on April 6. Wet 'n Wild also reported a woman, 25, with dehydration on the Lazy River on June 25.

*At SeaWorld Orlando, a woman, 34, broke her right ankle stepping off the Jazzy Jellies ride on May 1.

*At SeaWorld's new water park, Aquatica, a woman, 63, inhaled water on Roa's Rapids on May 21.

*At Universal Studios a man, 45, had chest pain and nausea on Revenge of the Mummy on May 24.

*At Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, a man, 65, had chest pain on Splash Mountain on April 27; a girl, 6, had a seizure on Snow White's Scary Adventures on May 8; and a woman, 57, injured her right knee on The Haunted Mansion on June 19.

*At Disney's Hollywood Studios, a man, 32, had neck and head pain on Tower of Terror on April 5; a man, 54, felt ill and had a possible heart attack on The Great Movie Ride on May 19; a woman, 47, broke an ankle on a Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground slide on May 26; and a woman, 25, had a seizure on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster on June 5.

*At Disney's Animal Kingdom, there were three reports from Expedition Everest: a man, 72, had stomach pain on March 29; a man, 57, felt hot and dizzy on May 17; and a man, 78, had trouble breathing and blurred vision on June 16.

No serious ride incidents were reported at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Universal's Islands of Adventure, Discovery Cove, Epcot, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon or Disney's Blizzard Beach.

Sunshine1010
07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Interesting article. Thank you for sharing this.

I just had a few thoughts on the matter ------

I've done EMS for large gatherings, concerts, sporting events, etc....

For example: I used to do EMS for the TN Titans. Sure enough --- EVERY game ----- someone had a cardiac incident.

For example: During concerts ----- EVERY concert ----- someone broke an ankle (or twisted it) going down the stairs

For example: During large unprofessional sport gatherings (marathons, basketball dunking contests, etc) ----- EVERY event ----- broken ankles.

For example: Outdoor concerts ---- lots of dehydration patients, along with lots of twisted ankles

I once worked a Billy Graham gathering. We had at least 20 cardiac events.

These are just a few examples. I feel as though Disney is no different than any other crowded venue.

But what I'd like to see is a first aid cart riding around the parks with bandaids, aspirin, breathing treatments, icepacks, bandages. I know Disney has their own inner EMS/nursing staff...but sometimes it's hard to walk from one end of the park to another to get a first aid product.

ibrowse17
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I had a blister one time. I went to the first aide station at the MK, and they gave a band-aid. They were very nice:thumbsup:

Magic Fanatic
07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Heart attack, broken bones are reported at theme parks
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
July 16, 2008

A heart attack at Wet 'n Wild and two broken ankles at other attractions were among the serious ride incidents at Central Florida theme parks this spring, according to state records released Tuesday.

The parks alerted state authorities to 14 incidents in which riders suffered serious injuries or illnesses during the months of April, May and June, plus one reported late from a March incident.

Major theme-park rides are exempt from state inspection regulation, but they agree to report serious ride incidents, typically those that involve at least an overnight hospital stay. The Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection then releases those reports quarterly.

Among those released Tuesday was the report of a woman, 48, who had a heart attack on the Brain Wash slide at Wet 'n Wild on April 6. Wet 'n Wild also reported a woman, 25, with dehydration on the Lazy River on June 25.

*At SeaWorld Orlando, a woman, 34, broke her right ankle stepping off the Jazzy Jellies ride on May 1.

*At SeaWorld's new water park, Aquatica, a woman, 63, inhaled water on Roa's Rapids on May 21.

*At Universal Studios a man, 45, had chest pain and nausea on Revenge of the Mummy on May 24.

*At Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, a man, 65, had chest pain on Splash Mountain on April 27; a girl, 6, had a seizure on Snow White's Scary Adventures on May 8; and a woman, 57, injured her right knee on The Haunted Mansion on June 19.

*At Disney's Hollywood Studios, a man, 32, had neck and head pain on Tower of Terror on April 5; a man, 54, felt ill and had a possible heart attack on The Great Movie Ride on May 19; a woman, 47, broke an ankle on a Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground slide on May 26; and a woman, 25, had a seizure on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster on June 5.

*At Disney's Animal Kingdom, there were three reports from Expedition Everest: a man, 72, had stomach pain on March 29; a man, 57, felt hot and dizzy on May 17; and a man, 78, had trouble breathing and blurred vision on June 16.

No serious ride incidents were reported at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Universal's Islands of Adventure, Discovery Cove, Epcot, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon or Disney's Blizzard Beach.

Thats all minor stuff! Up here in Atlanta at Six Flags we have teen agers jumping fences and entering restricted areas only to get decapitated by a roller coaster!

Sunshine1010
07-16-2008, 05:23 PM
.....I heard about that on the news. The father was interviewed. It was heartwrenching.

goofyrules
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
.....I heard about that on the news. The father was interviewed. It was heartwrenching.

i know wasnt it

Minnie Imagineer
07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
hmmm..my dad, sister and I all got hurt at TL on the wave pool and had to go to the TL nurse- we didn't go and complain to the news and go sueing Disney! It wasn't Disney's fault it was our own! note: don't go body surfing in the shallow end when the bottom of the pool is that popcorn material! :blush:

And seriously, that lady inhaled water!?! Oh yea, that was so SeaWorld's fault-they made her inhale the water!!

Celestria
07-16-2008, 11:55 PM
these things happen on a regular basis everywhere else in the world.... it just gets more publicity from a famous location.

Figaro
07-20-2008, 09:05 PM
I worked as a lifeguard here at Disney for a while, and on our radios we'd hear the Reedy Creek dispatches. Since we're first responders and BLS trained, if a dispatch was serious enough, we'd grad the Trauma Bag and go running. I can't even begin to tell you how many times a day EMS was dispatched. Lots happens, we use signal codes and 10 codes on the radio so that anyone listening in is none the wiser in terms of what's going on. Our goal is not to cause disturbance or panic amoung guests, or to really make the incident noticable. Stuff happens, it's life, and in places where millions of people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse medical histories and conditions converge, something might happen and usally does.

DisneyDudet
07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I've said it before, you get that many people in one general location, and anything will happen. If you do the statistics on cardiac issues (angina, AMI, cardiac arrest), they happen quite often. More often than people realize.

I find it funny they place "hot and dizzy" in a list with seizures. I find zero comparison. I had abdominal pain after Living with the Land and went to the First Aid Center. Maybe they have me listed.... Too bad after 3 Advil later I was fine.

If this is the extent of "injuries" they've had in this amount of time, I'm impressed. I'd much rather be at Disney than my own hometown. We get about twice as many people in our small hospital ER each night, with the same complaints.

Main Street Jim
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
But what I'd like to see is a first aid cart riding around the parks with bandaids, aspirin, breathing treatments, icepacks, bandages.There is ;-) They're just offstage, waiting for something to happen ;) There's at least three or four stationed around the Magic Kingdom alone.

Closet Disney Fan
07-23-2008, 12:01 AM
While some of these could possibly be ride related, for example, the lady that had the seizure on the rock n roll rollercoaster, im sure most of these are simply terrible luck and some of that could even be due to their own stupid decisions. Really head and neck pain on TOT who could have guessed. And ps just because they made this news report does not mean they personally reported it to the media nor did they sue Disney regarding these matters.:thumbsup:

thrillme
07-23-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't think it's the rides fault or any of the parks. I know I personally can twist my own ankles just walking from my car into a building. I'm a KLUTZ! I can easily trip over my own feet.

Swallow water at SeaWorld...plu-eeze. Soreness and nausua after a ride. This can happen after a long car ride. Heart attacks, seizures...for the most part are a ticking time bomb. They could happen anywhere...but when you're excited and spending more energy and exercise than you're used too all of a sudden...things are more likely to occur.

Dehydration I personnally think is a HUGE factor in a lot of this. People don't realize that you need to drink a good amount of water at least 3 days prior to putting forth the energy in a trip like this. And while you're there...if you're thirsty...you're already getting dehydrated. I've seen a LOT of people drinking anything BUT water during their trip there.

Sometimes people get afraid of drinking because they don't want to have to go to the bathroom. SIGH...bad idea.

Accidents happen. I think the news media wants to be the first ones to report a lawsuit.

Aurora
07-23-2008, 09:28 AM
note: don't go body surfing in the shallow end when the bottom of the pool is that popcorn material! :blush:

Haha. I know what you mean. I've had my share of "skinnings" on that stuff.

I myself had an episode on our trip last month -- I'm really good at making sure my three kids drink enough but apparently forgot about me!! I nearly passed out at lunch and hubby ran up to a waitress and got me a drink. A CM was by my side immediately to see how I felt. I was mighty embarrassed.

Mousemates
07-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Actually that's far fewer in the park incidients that I expected....just wondering if they have similar reporting practices for events that are not actually in the parks...i.e. resorts, parking areas, etc.