PDA

View Full Version : 5 in a room one is a 3 YEAR OLD

jennyb
07-15-2008, 06:55 PM
:confused:When I was a kid we were 3 children and 2 adults we never were told we needed 2 rooms. For goodness sakes. WHY does disney get their panties in a bunch about this fact? My 3 year old is as big as my foot and they say 4 people per room. ALL 3 of my kids are not as big as an adult so how is it that we cannot share 1 room. Does anyone know of any suggestions.
No, i do not want 2 rooms at the Wilderness Lodge (can barely afford 1) or a room at the GF. Or suites, or conceirge. I cannot afford it. No I do not want POR when I want to stay near the castle for my 3 little girls. ages 3, 5 & 7. Please somebody help me!

Polynesian Dweller
07-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Don't think anyone is going to be able to help you here unfortunately. The limits are actually about fire codes and Disney must legally abide by them. I believe the codes allow a variance for babes in arms, but a three year old isn't that. If the codes designate a maximum 4 in a room at the age levels then that's what Disney has to abide by.

gnomelady
07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
To be honest 5 people in a room at POP Century would be a crowd even if 3 of them are kids. The rooms are just average size and it's 2 double beds. You couldn't even get a roll away in them. There maybe safety codes that if a room is a certain size it can't have over certain number of people in it. Check the AllStar didn't they recently update some of their rooms to suites? Riverside has trundle beds that might be an option. I can understand your fustration. I hope things work out. Keep us posted.

chicade88
07-15-2008, 07:21 PM
You said you wanted to be near the castle which I believe would have to be a deluxe and unless I just hit a fluke in the system, I think you could stay at the Contemporary since their rooms have day beds. Someone else may come along here with more information but if you're looking for a deluxe anyway(to be near the castle), this seems like a good option.

TiggeRia
07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I believe that due to fire codes, you can only have up to four people in certain rooms. I'm pretty sure you can put five in rooms at the Poly, though.

Tinkermom
07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Where are you trying to stay? The Poly has rooms that sleep 5. We are a family of 5 and have stayed at the Poly. There were 2 queen beds and a daybed type sofa.

The Contemporary also offers rooms that sleep 5. Both of these resorts are "near the castle". :mickey:

VAdizneefan
07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
What about Fort Wilderness in a Wilderness Cabin? They hold 6 and are in the Magic Kingdom area. They might be a good fit for your family with the ages of your children.

PM me if you want more info.

RPHX2NC
07-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Please don't flame me, I don't mean to upset anyone and don't take this personally. I will not suggest breaking any rules or fire codes. This is my rant.

I have this same issue. I do wonder why great wolf lodge which has the same room setup as WL will allow 5 per room. You should see how many people are allowed on our 19 foot ski boat, and our travel trailer sleeps more people than I know. We are a family of 5 in an inside room on a Carnival cruise, no problem. Talk about tight! Notice I said Carnival not Disney. Disney is twice the price. We can't do it X 5 people. That's the price of a car or a year of college.

We stayed at POR last year during free dining. Never again. Every "large family" in the world was there. NO choice. We had to stand holding sleeping 3 and 5 year old on all buses and waking up the 7 year old to walk. I was almost run over by an employee at night in a small truck thing on the winding path at night carrying my 3 year old. Screeching brakes and all. Pool packed, buses packed, eating packed. But what really gets me is the room is the same size as the CS was. I loved it there. I could choose a different time of year, except we are year round school and Sept is our break.

Why is it 2 rooms at a value? My kids can't sleep in a room by themselves. Only POR for moderate, or an expensive Deluxe. I think Disney is missing the boat. If I had 1 child I could afford the GF. AKL and WL the more reasonable of the deluxes only allow 4 per room.

By the way, people here on intercot are very well versed on Disney. On my cruise forum most people believe 4 per room unless deluxe. It has left a bad taste in my mouth. Any now all these extra package options, deluxe, platinum. Is it all about money?

I'll get flammed, I don't mind. PM me if you want. I feel better. But what has happened is I am looking outside Disney for vacations.

coloradowendyl
07-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Due to Florida Fire code, the only moderate that sleeps 5 is Port Orleans Riverside with two double beds and a trundle bed. All Star Music family suites will accommodate 5 in the value category. A cabin at Fort Wilderness will sleep six.

For deluxes the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht and Beach Club, and Boardwalk Inn sleep 5 in a room. Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge will sleep 4 per room.

The only resorts with actual castle views are the 3 monorail resorts: Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Polynesian. The theme park views at all three resorts are a higher price per night than a standard view room.

Wendy

jennyb
07-15-2008, 08:02 PM
I appreciate all the comments but wow! the issues at Port Orleans definitely makes me think twice about that option! Right on the "money" that it seems to be the only viable monetary option for a family of 5. So its overcrowded, and probably crummy for whichever "adult" ends up in the trundle! Just curious, how does this miraculous "trundle bed" addition make a room safer for the addition of my three year old. Does this mean more square footage than the WL or AKL? Does the trundle transform into a fire fighting super soaker when extreme heat comes near it? Sounds like a whole lotta whooo haaaa to me! But hey we'll see what we can do...still love me some Dis... hate me some double talk. :number1:Get me city hall, Mickey Mouse, Donald <snip> Duck I'm an overbearing mom with disney lovin girls look out!

ps. why do the crs and aaa tell me that they are sold out for Contemporary, Poly and GF in the first 2 weeks of December. Still winter "value" season? Are there blocks that may be released in the future? Or are they completely booked up? Seriously, I think I'm being pushed out of the world!

buzznwoodysmom
07-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately if you insist on being "close to the castle" for your little girls your only options are Contemporary, Poly, Grand Flo, Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness Cabins. All of which have a high price. At WL you'll need either a deluxe room or two rooms and the cabins aren't a cheap option either. It all boils down to what you can afford or are willing to spend. If you don't want to stay any where else there isn't much you can do other than pay the price for where you want to stay. Otherwise you just have to do like everyone else who has more than 2 children, choose a different place to stay that may be more affordable. I am sure there are many people who would love to stay at many of the MK area resorts, especially the monorail resorts, but can't afford it. You could always look into renting points from a DVC member, but the only DVC resort in the MK area at this time is WL. You can get great deals on a one bedroom at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs that will allow you to have 5 people (they just won't provide the bedding for the extra person), but those are not near MK.

This is not directed at the OP, just a general pet peeve I have that has to do with this topic. I never understand when people say that they can't afford to pay for a bigger room to accomodate their family or they want to lie about the age of their just turned 3 year old because they just can't afford one more ticket. If that is the case these people can always wait one more year or 6 months to go so that they have more time to save money for the extra ticket/bigger room or whatever. WDW isn't going anywhere people! I was always taught that I couldn't have everything I wanted right when I wanted it! That seems to be a problem with people today. They don't want to wait for anything, everything has to be now. Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get that off my chest!

TammiMcMan
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Just curious, how does this miraculous "trundle bed" addition make a room safer for the addition of my three year old. Does this mean more square footage than the WL or AKL? Does the trundle transform into a fire fighting super soaker when extreme heat comes near it?Hopefully I'll be able to explain this correctly. Room size has nothing to do with room occupancy. The fire code has to do with the maximum number of people versus how wide hallways, corridors, stairways, etc. need to be for moving people out safely in an emergency.

I think the options for 5 to stay onsite were given earlier in this thread, or there are many off site locations which you could look into. Considering you want to be near the castle, those resorts include the Poly, GF and Contemporary. All of which fit 5 very comfortably in a standard room.

TammiMcMan
07-15-2008, 09:36 PM
ps. why do the crs and aaa tell me that they are sold out for Contemporary, Poly and GF in the first 2 weeks of December. Still winter "value" season? Are there blocks that may be released in the future? Or are they completely booked up?The first weekend in December is typically when they film the Christmas parade. This does impact availability at the monorail resorts. Most likely the rooms which aren't booked, are being held. You'll just have to be diligent in calling periodically and checking for cancellations.

wendy*darling
07-15-2008, 10:02 PM
So its overcrowded, and probably crummy for whichever "adult" ends up in the trundle!
Just so you know- the trundle is not a full sized twin bed- it is smaller and designed for a child under 5ft tall. It is not meant for an adult.

Also- POR is a very popular resort- and the vast majority of families who stay there rave about it and return time and time again. And I am not talking only about families with 5 people.
If you go at the busiest times of the year- Easter Break, Christmas Week, summer vacation- any resort on property will be crowded, as will the parks, restautrants, etc.
So, please do not let the opinions of one dissatisfied person sway your opinion about Port Orleans- Riverside. Just do a search here on INTERCOT for POR and see how many very happy repeat visitors there are.
It is a very reasonable option for your family.

jennyb
07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
:mickey:seriously friends just venting. Please don't jump down my throat here. I was just pointing out the fact that i found some things a little silly/fishy and i was frustrated at a few hours of diligent research and receiving several totally different answers. I have had a VERY kind person named Wendy working this out with me from Intercot and MAGICAL JOURNEYS She has cleared up many issues for me. Honeys i do not have a problem staying in a moderate, or a value. I just want the best experience for my darling girls (what we are all here to do i think?). I am NOT cutting corners, I DO NOT break rules or encourage others to do so. I am not whining about prices on the monorail or sizes of rooms as there "ARE NO ROOMS AT THE INN" so to speak. I was venting about my LACK of options. I thought my comment was silly and did not mean to <snip> anyone off. I figured I could speak out about frustrations and not get my head bitten off. I apologize wholeheartedly and did not mean to offend. Honestly! Okay can someone stop this thread. People are mad at me and my warped sense of humor.:ill:

RPHX2NC
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to explain this correctly. Room size has nothing to do with room occupancy. The fire code has to do with the maximum number of people versus how wide hallways, corridors, stairways, etc. need to be for moving people out safely in an emergency.

I think the options for 5 to stay onsite were given earlier in this thread, or there are many off site locations which you could look into. Considering you want to be near the castle, those resorts include the Poly, GF and Contemporary. All of which fit 5 very comfortably in a standard room.

This fire code thing comes up every time someone says family of 5. "how wide hallways, corridors, stairways, etc. need to be for moving people out safely in an emergency." I have stayed at 2 moderates. CSR and POR both are designed the same way. The only difference is the carving on the porches, roofs, exterior "decorations." I have not stayed at CBR so maybe it is different. But both the layout of POR and CSR are rooms that connect directly to the outside causeway/sidewalk with stairs at the ends. These are the same floorplans only the decoration is different. There are no corridors. In case of fire you would step off the sidewalk down 8 to 12" into the landscaping to safety. There is an upstairs, just like CSR. The only time I feared for my safety making a quick exit was on disney buses.

jonahbear2006
07-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I have this issue too. I have 4 kids who are all small. It can't be a firecode issue because if you told disney she were 2, she could stay in a crib, so it is all just a rule, I think, that makes them more money by the people that don't want to break rules. Technically, I dont understand what stops people from just buying a separate ticket and not telling disney about that child. I do not, in any way suggest this or condone it, but if they create rules that are going to be petty then they leave themselves wide open for people to want to break them, whether it be a financial choice for them or just plain out of spite. I wish there were a better answer.
I suggest you try to drive one year, and camp, in a really nice 3bdrm tent with all the comforts of home, in your tent. You may find that you really like this, and it is super cheap, AND AND AND>...... It is by the castle! A boat ride away and a jog away from WL. This is what we do. Also, you can split it up and stay at a value resort suite for a few nights then stay at GF or poly for 2 nights, to get your stay by the castle in, but not spend sooo much money by staying there all week. I was told by the conductor of the boat that it used to be that contemporary allowed 5, so this is not a firecode issue. This is a choice that Disney makes for occupancy for each resort, by their own standards.
I realize that at some point it would be a fire code issue, but a 3 yr old is not a firecode problem; the fire code is only an issue when the firemen ask what the occupancy is for a hotel and someone lies. Then they think they got everyone out, when in reality there is a child stuck in the building not on the list.They do this for number count reasons, and obviously you can't allow the rule to be abused. 10-15 in a room to save money would def. cause a prob in the hallways during a fire.
As far as I am concerned, if you pay for a deluxe resort you should get to bring up to 4 children into one room with 2 adults, all under the age of 10. I see no reason why they cannot accomodate this.
The Disney woman told me this too, on the phone, All star music is it that has suites, POR, or campground. I had to tell her, once, to stop pushing POR on me. How unfair to make large families pay this penalty whenever we give them the most money in tickets and food than the smaller families. We will never get to experience AKL, Contemp, WL, BW, or many others because of this rule.It has made me consider not having more kids and what a bummer when loving Disney has talked you out of having 2 more children. That does not sound family friendly. :-(
Another option, in the future, is to bring the grandparents and split the kids up for reservations. This would work.

Sneaky Pete
07-15-2008, 11:43 PM
FW to avoid the 2 room problem. That worked great for us.

r4kids
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
We have 4 kids (13,10,7,5) We go every year and we used to just do 1 room value, then 2 rooms value, now NO MORE VALUES FOR US! I can't stand them. We are doing 2 rooms at CSR. We understand that having 4 kids causes more expense, I get that but can they at least have a decent moderate resort for a family of 6. It is either value suite :ack: or a deluxe( which we would love but the bank would laugh, hard) anyway I feel your pain OP good luck in your decision.

PS I don't like bugs (cabins) or long walks to my room (cabins)

megustamex
07-16-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm confused - don't the moderates have connecting rooms where you can just leave the doors open? I thought they had this at the values and I know they had them at the deluxe resorts. If so, wouldn't this open a family of 5 plus to more options than just POR at the moderate level?

TammiMcMan
07-16-2008, 12:56 AM
It can't be a firecode issue because if you told disney she were 2, she could stay in a crib, so it is all just a rule, I think, that makes them more money by the people that don't want to break rules.A child 2 or under is most likely going to be carried, thereby not taking up "space" in a corridor or stairwell. I'm only repeating what has been posted numerous times by people who do deal directly with fire code issues.

TammiMcMan
07-16-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm confused - don't the moderates have connecting rooms where you can just leave the doors open? I thought they had this at the values and I know they had them at the deluxe resorts. If so, wouldn't this open a family of 5 plus to more options than just POR at the moderate level?All resorts have a certain number of rooms that are connecting. The problem is, they do not guarantee them, so parents could end up having to sleep in separate rooms.

I'm one of 6 children and our only option staying at Disney was camping in Fort Wilderness. So, I've been directly affected by being part of a large family. As a kid and even a teen, I can tell you that those were some of the best vacations of my life. I certainly didn't feel any less Disney because we weren't staying at a resort. In fact, for a lot of reasons, it was so much better than being in a little resort room. There are options, they may not be everyones first choice, but it is what it is.

Aurora
07-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Obviously there are plenty of 5+ families who want to stay as frugally as possible on Disney property and book up the POR for that reason. Also apparently Disney added the family suites at the All-Stars because there was a demand by larger families, but this isn't a cheap option.

I wonder how many large families (I use the term "large" lightly -- when I was a kid if you called a family of 5 large you would have been looked at strangely) stay off-site because they can't afford to pay for two rooms or exorbitant deluxe or villa room rates (which still only sleep five in a 1-bedroom).

I think if Disney built a new resort or renovated an existing resort that catered to 5+ families at the moderate level they would be booked solid.

jonahbear2006
07-16-2008, 01:41 AM
I agree. I would like to see Disney add on family resorts. maybe even family suites, as an addition to their villas, only the family suites would only be able to be booked if they are all YOUR children and they are under 18, and a price that is affordable, not $600 a night. I will never stay OFF property. If I have to stay off property then ,dude, I don't want to go. I like to take the grandparents though, and it sounds like with three small children that it can also work as an asset. Besides, then you have a sitter in the evening.
To the camping comments, my parents never could afford to stay in hotels, nor did my dad want to, he is what my mom calls a mountain goat. We always got one night in a hotel, motel really, and a week or two in a tent. My sister and I LOVED vacation and we didn't get electricity like you do at Disney. Our vacations costed us about $300 for a week. The campground really IS a fantastic way to do it. There are ways to provide comfort and truly enjoy this experience, it just takes a little research. I have done both hotels and tents with babies and children and I guarantee you tents are easier. The kids are more relaxed, are forced to sleep because it is dark, and they play contently while you get ready for the day. One other bonus is that your car is right there, so you can use it for the day or get things you forgot. NO hiking to the parking lot.
But to the carrying a child as a fire code comment, that isn't necessarily the case. I have a 6 yr old daughter that wears size 2 shorts and 4 jeans. She is itty bitty and could pass for much younger, whereas my friend has a son who is going to be a year in Dec. and he looks like he is 2 1/2 and like the michelin man. I could carry my 6 yr old in one arm and my 4 yr old in the other, but this guy will not likely be able to carry his kid at 2-3, not if he keeps this up. Everyone is different and I highly doubt Disney sat down and decided on fire codes based on capability of being carried or size affecting their fire drills.

TammiMcMan
07-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Everyone is different and I highly doubt Disney sat down and decided on fire codes based on capability of being carried or size affecting their fire drills.Okay, we're talking about averages here and no, Disney did not sit down and decide fire codes, that's done by the Fire Department and is in alignment with the building codes. This is managed by the state of Florida and I don't believe Disney is exempt from state codes. Again, this is repeated from statements made by those in the fire fighting business.

Editing my post to add the following, which I believe covers what I was referring to about corridors, etc. Link (http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2ndDraft2007/building/PDFs/Chapter&#37;2010_Means%20of%20Egress.pdf) to everything you wanted to know and more, about means of egress in the state of Florida.

Melanie
07-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Editing my post to add the following, which I believe covers what I was referring to about corridors, etc. Link (http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2ndDraft2007/building/PDFs/Chapter%2010_Means%20of%20Egress.pdf) to everything you wanted to know and more, about means of egress in the state of Florida.

Thank you, Tammi. :thumbsup:

playdead88
07-16-2008, 06:28 AM
the poly sleeps 5 and i think the CR sleeps 5 - you would be even closer to the MK - hope it all works out for you :mickey:

playdead88
07-16-2008, 06:34 AM
also have you looked into joining the DVC? then you would always have room for 5! :thumbsup:

Jeri Lynn
07-16-2008, 06:35 AM
You are smart to be working with Magical Journey's, they will find you the best option!

We are a family of six so I understand your frustration of limited choices. We always have to go with two rooms, and we love the Beach Club so you can imagine the cost.

My pet peeve about Disney is paying more for an extra adult in the room. This fall I am going with my sister and another friend. We pick up after ourselves. We would not pay extra for two adults and three kids, but for three adults we are paying an extra $25 per night....just never made sense to me. I'm sure there is some reason, but I haven't figure it out yet!

Good luck making your decisions, I hope you and your little girls have a wonderful time!

RPHX2NC
07-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Yes, you all seem to understand the problem of the OP. The larger families that I know do indeed stay off sight and I agree no. It was implied earlier to not let the bad opinions of one person turn you off from POR. I assume that is me and I would like to say a few things about this. I played by the rules. My just 3 year old was with us and we stayed at the POR and did not lie or break and rules. This did not end well. The buses at night were a real issue for only this resort. The fact that the POR is huge and shares buses with POFQ causes this situation. Also many small children. I am not the first to every post this. We still payed $$$$ for our 7 day vacation. Of course we wanted to enjoy it and we did, not the resort. The night that I was carrying my child all the way from DTD dock to the back of resort and this maintenance small truck almost hit me on the sidewalk was it for me. It stopped screeching tires with headlights in my face. My daughter would have been killed. A sorry and getting off his duff may have been nice. People that have stayed there will tell you those winding paths with the scrubs you can not see around. Don't want to sway anyone just sharing our experience from sept 07 during free dining. We do need more options. I love camping but it is so much work and hot. For the record next time we will split stay POLY/with 2 rooms maybe CSR, value, or off sight. So I guess Disney won. Now that the children are better in the car we will drive and splitting is easier. DH is the one that is not ready to go back not me. That is why I am here. ;)

joanna71985
07-16-2008, 07:49 AM
I am the second-oldest of 8 kids. Growing up, we always stayed at Port Orleans (both Riverside and French Quarter). We loved it there. I would definitely stay there again in a heartbeat.

tink'72
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm confused - don't the moderates have connecting rooms where you can just leave the doors open? I thought they had this at the values and I know they had them at the deluxe resorts. If so, wouldn't this open a family of 5 plus to more options than just POR at the moderate level?

There are 6 people in my family and we loved the Corondao Springs so I called Disney for my upcoming trip in 9 days!!!!:cloud9: to book 2 adjoining rooms at the Coronado. Unfortunatly Disney cannot guarentee 2 adjoining rooms or even 2 rooms close together "they will do their best to accomodate". Well, that didn't work for us. I would hate to be on a vacation with my family and me be in one room with the kids and my husband be in another room.

We have decided to stay off property . We rented a 4 bedroom vacation villa about 4 miles from Disney (we've stayed here before) and it's amazing. Our own pool, the kids have their own space. We love it! The down side is...we are not immersed in the Disney magic...the upside is...your'e not immersed in the Disney magic. :mickey:

thrillme
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Fire codes are fire codes nothing much Disney can do about it. And since there's only 3 in total (including myself) it's not a problem for me...BUT...I know of a lot of my friends who have more and I'm very "sensitive" to their prediciment. And personally I have stuffed and extraordinary number of people in one room (not at Disney) but at the coast. We were crowded but we survived.

I can see Disney themselves wanting to stick with certian limits because you don't want a large noisy number of people in one room disturbing the others. AND you get a bit of extra income...BUT...

Corridors. Families with the one extra could stay on the bottom floors. Less constraints going down the stairs.

5 people need two rooms even if the 5th is a toddler or young child??? Each parent carries one child etc. :confused: UHHHH...there's still only TWO parents right? Wouldn't it be safer if they were all in ONE room? What if it's a single mother with 4 kids? Is it supposed to be safer for her to dash over to another room and collect the rest?

In some cases every dollar counts and I can understand those people that are trying to budget. (I don't do a WEEK of camping especially in the summer...I'll MELT).

I guess in Disney's defense they say 4 and just one more is 5 just one more is 6 just one more is 7 etc.

I guess if "I" were "ruler of the world" I'd allow up to 6 in a room provided it was children under 17 with at least ONE parent with the restriction that they had to keep the noise down or we'd seperate them and charge them.

Jen C.
07-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I also have 3 small children. I sympathize with the OP, as it may seem as though your WDW options are limited. But, aren't all of our options limited as we expand our family? I mean, there is no way I could get my family and the car seats into a little gas friendly, eco aware sedan. Unfortunately, I have to buy the bigger van/SUV. I wish that a car company could give me the "best of both worlds", but that hasn't happened yet.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there are certainly many options at WDW for families our size. We manage to go every year! If the options available to you aren't the most desirable, you compromise, or you wait until the option available is doable. That's I'm sure what you will do. ;)

jennyb
07-16-2008, 10:35 AM
well thanks to all who have responding understanding my issue! I love the one who said "family of 5 being "larger" would have been laughed at 2 decades ago!"
Magical Journeys (Wendy) may have sold me on Port Orleans Riverside or we may split up since we have various family/grandparents and send a kid for a special sleepover (or parent!).
But my girls may have sealed the deal with POR since they just saw the dragon slide pool. This is the same place right?

gnomelady
07-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree 2 connecting rooms with a door open would be good. One parent can sleep in each room plus you have 2 bathrooms. 5 people plus luggage in any room will be crowded unless you have a large suite or rent a house.
Kids don't care that much where they stay after all it's Disney World. There are allot of great suggestions posted I hope one works for you. Don't worry about things you can't control relax. Getting all upset isn't going to make Disney change their rules.
Have a fun trip

RPHX2NC
07-16-2008, 11:15 AM
No the dragon slide is POFQ only allow 4 per room. The POR pool is the one with the wooden spills and large twater tower. The pictures do not due the POR pool justice. It is rustic but kids will love it, it does have a slide. The POFQ pool will be too far of a walk from alligator sleeps 5 section. You could take the bus or a carriage ride and you are permitted to use both pools. While it looked cool the kids were happy with POR pool and that walk was far enough. The life guards are very good. When a ran shower popped up they played games and made jewlery to entertain the kids. They also do $1 bingo and the prices were nice photo albums, pillows. There is a bar by the pool too and playground.

diz_girl
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I know that this is going to make me sound :old:, but here it goes.

Way back when, before there was EPCOT, your only choices were the CR, the Poly and FW (possibly without the cabins). There was the Golf resort too and in no man's land (at the time) was the Disney Village. That was it. It was that way until the late 80's when the Carribean Beach Resort and the Grand Floridian came along. The Mods are no more than 20 years old and the Values no more than 15 years old. So anyone who wanted to stay close to the MK and had a very large family or couldn't afford the Poly or CR (or didn't golf) camped at FW. Also, during our 1976 trip (per my Mom), due to demand, you could only reserve a room for more than three nights.

I always wanted to camp as a kid, but, due to a miserable camping trip in my Mother's childhood, my Mom was having none of it. So I would have loved to stay at FW.

So maybe you could camp a few days to save some $ and then stay at one of the monorail resorts for the rest of your trip. It may be a little extra work, but your girls may love it.

NewmanFamily6
07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
We are also a family of 6. There is DH, Myself, DD 11, DD 7, & Twin DSs 5. We joined DVC precisely for this reason. While I would like to be close to the MK it is more important to me that I have everyone together:mickey: While I know DVC is pricey if WDW is somewhere that you go every year it is worth it. Plus we always have the 2 bdrm villa where we can all be together:thumbsup:

doombuggy
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I know that this is going to make me sound :old:, but here it goes.

Way back when, before there was EPCOT, your only choices were the CR, the Poly and FW (possibly without the cabins). There was the Golf resort too and in no man's land (at the time) was the Disney Village. That was it. It was that way until the late 80's when the Carribean Beach Resort and the Grand Floridian came along. The Mods are no more than 20 years old and the Values no more than 15 years old.

The "golf resort" you are thinking of was the Disney Inn. It is now called Shades of Green and is owned by the DOD, not Disney. the Disney Village is the shopping place we now know as Downtown Disney. The Grand Floridan just celebrated it's 20th birthday on July 1.

I have stayed in the Poly and the Contemporary, and as previously stated, they sleep 5. When i stayed in the Contemporary in 1994, it was with 3 other adults and 1 child. I got the day bed and it was fine (I'm 5'8").

I have never stayed inthe cabins, but they are being renovated. My uncle took his family there in the late 1990s and my aunt didn't want to stay in a "trailer" but she LOVED it. They have 4 kids.

I have stayed at both PO resorts and they are terrific. Whatever you decide, have a magical time!

jonahbear2006
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
you can swim in the dragon pool. the 6 pools are shared by both PO resorts, you will just have to get to it, its kind of a walk.

CR no longer sleeps 5, used to though; explain that. I was told this was a Disney decision that they made. That is aggravating cause we love the contemporary. It's beautiful and the location is fantastic.

I love camping, but we go in the winter. We don't go camping down there in FL in the heat. When we went it was 84 during the day and at night 47-58 somewhere in there. We had one night where we had to use an electric blanket.

We definitely need more options. DVC is not one for us. We don't make enough. Heck we can't really afford to be Disney families but once a year my husband takes up a 2nd job for a few months so we can go; bless his heart.

I agree that it is not safe for them to split families up, esp. if it is only one parent. I have been told by every hotel in the country that we have to have 2 rooms, even ones that open to the outside. Even the Ritz Carlton. We asked for a suite and they told us it only slept 5 and that someone would have to split up bc of the baby; for a crib. The last thing I want to do on vacation is split up from my husband or decide which children have to go to one room and the other. We definitely need more family rooms.

diz_girl
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
The "golf resort" you are thinking of was the Disney Inn. It is now called Shades of Green and is owned by the DOD, not Disney. the Disney Village is the shopping place we now know as Downtown Disney. The Grand Floridan just celebrated it's 20th birthday on July 1.

Actually, the golf resort that I'm thinking of was was first called The Golf Resort when it was first built, and wasn't called The Disney Inn until the mid-80's. I also know that it's now SOG. And that the Disney Village is now DTD. I'm sure that you were just providing a little more current information for reference purposes.

I was making reference to the limited options for larger families and budget-minded folks back in the 70's (and what the resorts were called in the 70's) and the option for them was FW, where I would have liked to stay when I was a kid. And I was just suggesting that maybe her children might enjoy the experience of camping at Disney, and she could save some $ to use at a monorail resort that would sleep 5.

Gooftroop5
07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
The OP i so agree it would be nice if there were more options. I am also the mother of 3 plus dh. This year dd is staying in her grandparents room. My mom's choice. she made the ressies & told us that she was taking her. DD is 9 my dses will be 4&5 when we go. They are better with mommy & daddy. plus dd doesn't do well sharing a bed. She sleeps fine but the person sharing ends up with bruises.

Next trip though it will be just the 5 of us. We are looking at a room with a trundle bed. I figure its a room. What more do we need. We are a family of 5 with one bathroom at home. What's a little closeness on vacay. It makes coming home seem like we live in a mansion. :D

I like FW stayed there a couple of time however it was in my parents camper. All the amenities of home & no sleeping on the ground. I like camping but after 20 plus years of sleeping in a camper I no longer enjoy sleeping in a tent. DH I did it a few times before kids. Sorry i got spoiled so is dh who use to sleep in tents in the middle of winter. I am sure my children are too since they have only been camping in the trailer since before they were born. Air mattresses just aren't the same as a bed. With gas prices we can't afford to borrow my parents camper(and their tow vehicle) nor do we have the room or want the added weight to the car to bring everything we need for camping. If your young children are like mine they do not like taking showers. My 4yo just started taking a shower my 3 yo still only wants a bath. I think the biggest perk though to staying at FW is you can get away from Disney without getting away from Disney.

Have a great trip no matter where you stay. Its what you make of the trip. If you don't like it then you will know in the future.If you do like it then you will have a hotel of choice like a lot of people here. If you never try somewhere then you will never know either way.

Mickey'sGirl
07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Some really good comments through this thread....but it got me laughing.

I am the youngest of 4 children. When we went to Disney as a child, we all squeezed into the Motel 6 outside of town, and visited MK for a day. Standards sure change! :D

Jen C.
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM

I am the youngest of 4 children. When we went to Disney as a child, we all squeezed into the Motel 6 outside of town, and visited MK for a day. Standards sure change! :D

Agreed!!!....and SO true!:D

Lizzie
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I understand the frustration. We are currently a family of 4 two adults and two kids. But we are expecting the third next year. My only concern with having a third is how it will affect our vacations at Disney. I know that is a silly thing but it went through my mind.

So we are planning on gettting two rooms at a moderate when we go in a few years. But I didn't realize that they cant guarantee connecting rooms. How is that? When you are travelling with kids and all don't fit in a room.

Disney Doll
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM

You said it! I understand the need for more options, but some of the comments seem overly dramatic.

Guya103
07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
We are a family of six and go for at least two consecutive weeks every year, usually during the summer months. I can completely understand the frustration of having many little kids and not being able to keep them in the same room.

Our kids are much older. We have always had two rooms and would never even think of cramming more than four people in one room! Aside from the size of the rooms, if we only had one bathroom we would not get to the parks until they were closing!

Two rooms are worth the money every time. Everyone will get along better and each person will have more space.

We are doing WDW in August for two weeks and will be staying at POFQ, WL, and CBR. I have never stayed at a value but can speak for the mods and deluxes when I say that the service is always wonderful no matter where you stay and your trip will be much more enjoyable if you have two rooms.:mickey:

jonahbear2006
07-16-2008, 05:27 PM
I understand the frustration. We are currently a family of 4 two adults and two kids. But we are expecting the third next year. My only concern with having a third is how it will affect our vacations at Disney. I know that is a silly thing but it went through my mind.

This is what I was saying. We have 4 and I really want two more children but our biggest reason we are on the fence is will we still be able to afford disney. We are already too big for one room though so I guess if there are 8 of us we are getting the most for out money, eh? hahaha.

Lizzie
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Guya103

You said you split your family up. Do you always get connecting rooms? What is the furthest your rooms have been from each other?

Guya103
07-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Lizzie,

We have lucked out with connecting rooms in the past at some of the mods and have only ever been a couple of rooms away or across the hall at the deluxes.

Since we are staying at three resorts this time, I an anxious to see how each resort places us.

They always mark the request for ajoining rooms on our ressie but can't promise.

I have never worried about having two rooms because we are always close enough. Don't hesitate- you will never be ridiculously far from each other.:mickey:

Tinkermom
07-16-2008, 06:44 PM
CR no longer sleeps 5, used to though; explain that. I was told this was a Disney decision that they made. That is aggravating cause we love the contemporary. It's beautiful and the location is fantastic.

Although not in every room the Contemporary Resort most definitely does sleep 5. :mickey:
Contemporary Resort (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/roomsDetail?id=ContemporaryResortGuestRoomsListing Page)

TammiMcMan
07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
CR no longer sleeps 5, used to though; explain that. I was told this was a Disney decision that they made. That is aggravating cause we love the contemporary. It's beautiful and the location is fantastic.Where did you hear this, because it's definitely not true. Like some of the other deluxes, not all rooms at the CR have a daybed, but the majority of them do.

TammiMcMan
07-16-2008, 08:18 PM
But I didn't realize that they cant guarantee connecting rooms. How is that? When you are travelling with kids and all don't fit in a room.Trust me, in the hotel industry, the word guarantee doesn't really mean a thing. There are way too many variables that can affect the availability of the room and even the resort itself. Connecting rooms is however, a request that Disney does try it's hardest to fulfill.

wendy*darling
07-16-2008, 11:52 PM
They always mark the request for ajoining rooms on our ressie but can't promise.
Just wanted to point out that "connecting" and "adjoining" do not mean the same thing.
Adjoining rooms are near each other. Connecting rooms have the door between them you can open to have access to either room.

If you want "connecting" make sure you specify connecting, not adjoining.

doombuggy
07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Actually, the golf resort that I'm thinking of was was first called The Golf Resort when it was first built, and wasn't called The Disney Inn until the mid-80's. I also know that it's now SOG. And that the Disney Village is now DTD. I'm sure that you were just providing a little more current information for reference purposes.

OK, so maybe I don't know the place as well as I thought, after visiting some many times since 1974, and working since 1996, so I went to Wikipedia to find:
Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Resort, and Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground were also completed in time for the park's opening on October 1, 1971. The Palm and Magnolia golf courses near the Magic Kingdom had opened a few weeks before.
Originally, the Shades of Green resort was a Disney-owned property first called The Golf Resort and later The Disney Inn. The original resort was more of a country club for the golf courses and it did not actually have any guest rooms until December 1973. The resort expanded in 1986 and was renamed The Disney Inn as well as receiving a new Snow White theme. It was leased by the Department of Defense beginning in 1994 for the MWR program. The resort was purchased outright January 12, 1996 and renamed Shades of Green.
Downtown Disney began life on March 22nd, 1975, as the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village, a shopping complex intended to serve the planned residences within Walt Disney World property. As the residential units evolved into more resort hotel space, the complex became more focused as a shopping destination for all Walt Disney World visitors, and renamed Walt Disney World Village in 1977. With the advent of new management under Michael Eisner in the mid-1980s, Disney began looking for ways to keep vacationers on Walt Disney World property longer, and entice them with offerings to prevent them from leaving for entertainment beyond Disney's borders. To compete with the popular Church Street Station clubs in downtown Orlando, Pleasure Island was announced on July 21st, 1986, as an expansion to the Village for highly-themed, adults-only nightlife. Construction began the following August, and Pleasure Island opened on May 1st, 1989, (the exact same day as the Disney-MGM Studios theme park) featuring unique clubs with the Disney touch for quality and creativity. That same year, the Walt Disney World Village was once again renamed as the Disney Village Marketplace to reflect the ever-changing nature of the area. In the mid-1990s, the growth of Walt Disney World once again created the potential for expansion of the offerings around Village Lake at Pleasure Island and the Disney Village Marketplace, so on June 20th, 1995, major enhancements and expansion were announced for the area. The Disney Village Marketplace and Pleasure Island would be folded into a newly-branded district called Downtown Disney, with the former renamed one more time on September 7th, 1997, as Downtown Disney Marketplace. Just a few days later, on September 15th, Downtown Disney West Side opened as a third shopping, dining, and entertainment zone featuring more eclectic venues such as Cirque du Soleil, DisneyQuest, and Virgin Megastore. Major changes for the complex also included the conversion of the somewhat sedate Mickey's Character Shop into the bustling World of Disney, becoming the world's largest Disney store, and the expansion and upgrade of the AMC Pleasure Island Theatres.

So I'm getting the "Disney Village" from all of my uniforms, marked "DVM." :mickey: :laughing:

stephntampa
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
I tried booking a king room at CSR thru MJ for me, DH and 4yo DS, and was told that "fire codes" don't allow three people in one king room. Conversely, we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota and requested a king room for 3 people and were granted the request. Someone earlier in this thread stated that it is "Florida fire code", I have heard "Reedy Creek fire code", I think its kinda bogus!!!

TheRustyScupper
07-18-2008, 08:12 AM
. . . Due to Florida Fire code . . .

1) We are fond of blaming the fire codes.
2) But, a comparison of room sizes does not bear this out.
3) Why would a 314 sqft room be allowed 5, when a 344 sqft room doesn't?
4) Below are Standard room sizes (not suites or deluxe rooms).
5) You be the judge.
6) Greed or fire codes?

RESORT BASIC/STD Room:
4 guests - 344 sqft - Animal Kingdom Lodge
5 guests - 380 sqft - Boardwalk
5 guests - 422 sqft - Contemporary
6 guests - 504 sqft - Fort Wilderness Cabins
5 guests - 400 sqft - Grand Floridian
5 guests - 410 sqft - Polynesian
4 guests - 340 sqft - Wilderness Lodge
5 guests - 380 sqft - Yacht and Beach Club
4 guests - 340 sqft - Caribbean Beach
4 guests - 314 sqft - Coronado Springs
4 guests - 314 sqft - Port Orleans French Quarter
5 guests - 314 sqft - Port Orlenas Riverside
4 guests - 260 sqft - All Stars
4 guests - 260 sqft - Pop Century

Seasonscraps
07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
1) We are fond of blaming the fire codes.
2) But, a comparison of room sizes does not bear this out.
3) Why would a 314 sqft room be allowed 5, when a 344 sqft room doesn't?

I thought the fire code controlled occupancy for egress purposes not how many people can fit in a space. How many people can be safely evacuated through the corridors & stairwells?

diz_girl
07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
So I'm getting the "Disney Village" from all of my uniforms, marked "DVM." :mickey: :laughing:

I wish that they'd offer apparel that had the old names and logos on it, for a bit of nostalgia. If they do sell it on-site, where do I find it?

TammiMcMan
07-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I thought the fire code controlled occupancy for egress purposes not how many people can fit in a space. How many people can be safely evacuated through the corridors & stairwells?:thumbsup: Thank you! I stated it in a post above, that room size does not define room occupancy.

Now if people still want to discuss that Disney is greedy because they didn't build the egresses wider, go for it. I would just keep in mind, that costlier construction could have translated to higher room rates at the values. And we'd still be having the discussion about affordable on-site accommodations.

WeLuvBuzz
07-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I feel everyone's pain who is a family of 5 or more. We are a family of 5 who because of school commitments has to visit during peak season. We cannot afford the Poly or Contemporary. Luckily we found a bargain timeshare in Hilton Head that we use to trade into Disney. For under $650 per week we stay in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom full kitchen, living area, 2 -3 tV''s, balcony, and washer and dryer included nearby condo. Last trip I sat on the balcony of our condo and could see EE, the swan and dolphin, and could watch the epcot fireworks. I know many people poo poo staying offsite, but you still can have a great vacation, fit lots of people, and for a great price. Even if you don't own a timeshare you can often stay at one's nearby very cheaply and most are very nice.

FenwayGirl
07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
We stayed at the All Star Music suites and it was actually nice. Not a huge fan of the values, but we had a seperate bedroom (2), 2 bathrooms, a kitchenette (complete with microwave, sink ,fridge) plus room in the living room to sleep 4 more. Also, two televisions. It was nice to be able to put the kids to bed and still stay up and watch tv. Also extra nice to have 2 bathrooms...

disneyfan328
07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I guess I can understand all of the points raised here as I have a family of 5, but whats the big deal about POR? We stayed there during free dining and the place was beautiful, we loved every bit of it. I would reccmoned it to anyone family of 5 or not.

TheRustyScupper
07-19-2008, 08:58 AM
I thought the fire code controlled occupancy for egress purposes not how many people can fit in a space. How many people can be safely evacuated through the corridors & stairwells?

1) Yes, this is part of the equation.
2) Some 4-people-only resorts actually have better exit ability than 5's.
. . . as-wide or wider halls
. . . as-wide or wider stairs (elevators are, of course, excluded)
. . . less floors than for less congestion in stairs close to ground

NOTE: I do not profess to be a Fire Marshall, but after building and running four manufacturing plants in the USA, I have gotten involved with all sorts of rules and regulations, including fire codes.

mickeefan
07-19-2008, 09:39 AM
All I am going to add is if you have Wendy of MJ assisting you, you are in very good hands.
If there is anything available, she will find it for you.
She has handled all our trips for the past 7 or 8 years now and we couldn't be more pleased.

deedeebee
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
I appreciate all the comments but wow! the issues at Port Orleans definitely makes me think twice about that option! Right on the "money" that it seems to be the only viable monetary option for a family of 5. So its overcrowded, and probably crummy for whichever "adult" ends up in the trundle! Just curious, how does this miraculous "trundle bed" addition make a room safer for the addition of my three year old. Does this mean more square footage than the WL or AKL? Does the trundle transform into a fire fighting super soaker when extreme heat comes near it? Sounds like a whole lotta whooo haaaa to me! But hey we'll see what we can do...still love me some Dis... hate me some double talk. :number1:Get me city hall, Mickey Mouse, Donald <snip> Duck I'm an overbearing mom with disney lovin girls look out!

ps. why do the crs and aaa tell me that they are sold out for Contemporary, Poly and GF in the first 2 weeks of December. Still winter "value" season? Are there blocks that may be released in the future? Or are they completely booked up? Seriously, I think I'm being pushed out of the world!

I would like to say that my family of 5 have stayed at the POR 3 times and have enjoyed every time and have visited in Dec., May and April and will be visiting this Sept. We have also stayed at the GF and the Poly and the AS and we really love POR. We are planning on trying the WC in '09. My point is that we love POR and a room is just a room and we don't plan on staying in the room very long. We could stay at the Poly if we wanted to but would rather use that money difference for other things that mean more to us than a room choice. Hope this helps.

miprender
07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Just wanted to point out that "connecting" and "adjoining" do not mean the same thing.
Adjoining rooms are near each other. Connecting rooms have the door between them you can open to have access to either room.

If you want "connecting" make sure you specify connecting, not adjoining.

I think you have it backwards. I just booked two rooms and the CM said that connecting rooms were near each other and adjoining rooms were with the door. The reason I remember this is because he made a joke about it sounding backwards... that connecting would be connected with two walls. Any way as long as I get two room near each other I am fine. Also we will be facing this problem soon. Since I am going with DH, DD5, DS3, & DS1 we are still able to get one room at the POFQ and my mom and brother will be in another room. But in a few years I will be a party of 5 too!!!!

lulu'smom
07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
I think you have it backwards. I just booked two rooms and the CM said that connecting rooms were near each other and adjoining rooms were with the door. The reason I remember this is because he made a joke about it sounding backwards... that connecting would be connected with two walls. Any way as long as I get two room near each other I am fine. Also we will be facing this problem soon. Since I am going with DH, DD5, DS3, & DS1 we are still able to get one room at the POFQ and my mom and brother will be in another room. But in a few years I will be a party of 5 too!!!!

You got bad info from that CM!:mad: Adjoining definately means next to each other, connecting definately means with the door between the 2.

As far as the whole fire code argument goes, keep in mind that POR only lets you have 5 people in the Alligator Bayou section. And that is in part because they do not have elevators in the Bayou section. But they do in the Mansions.

TammiMcMan
07-21-2008, 08:23 PM
You got bad info from that CM!:mad: Adjoining definately means next to each other, connecting definately means with the door between the 2.:thumbsup:

CM = Wrong
Wendy*Darling = Right

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-22-2008, 11:06 PM
also have you looked into joining the DVC? then you would always have room for 5! :thumbsup:

While this option is not for everyone, it is exactly what we did right after our youngest turned 3. Best move we could have made!:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
07-23-2008, 01:06 AM
While this option is not for everyone, it is exactly what we did right after our youngest turned 3. Best move we could have made!:thumbsup:

We're also a family of 5 and will be joining DVC as soon as it's financially possible. :thumbsup:

DDuck66
07-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Adjoining rooms is one of those options that they will not guarantee...they will list it on your reservation preferences but they cannot guarantee that you will get it upon checkin.

FenwayGirl
07-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I have requested this option often. The request was always honored.

TheCampbells
07-23-2008, 03:07 PM

But people are all different sizes. I myself am a couple of toddlers,:secret: so how many people shouldn't make the difference. If you have a bunch of families with toddlers visiting on one floor and a a bunch of heavier adults on another floor..with an equal amount of people on each floor..There is going to be less corridor and stairwell space. So I can't see that being the reason for amount of people.

KAT1811
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Another option, in the future, is to bring the grandparents and split the kids up for reservations. This would work.

We usually do this and it workd woderfully. We enjoy spending time with my parents, get the added space of two rooms, and get to head out a couple of nights just DH and I.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there are certainly many options at WDW for families our size. We manage to go every year! If the options available to you aren't the most desirable, you compromise, or you wait until the option available is doable. That's I'm sure what you will do. ;)

As a family of 5 soon to be 6 I hear you. I do agree that WDW should have more, economical choices for larger families. The larger suite options are a bit ridiculous, especially considering how much time you are actually in the room.

This is what I was saying. We have 4 and I really want two more children but our biggest reason we are on the fence is will we still be able to afford disney. . .

You're kidding right? I cannot imagine not having another child because I could not afford the WDW accomodations I prefer.

I have requested this option often. The request was always honored.

:ditto: we have always been granted our request on connecting rooms.

I wish there were more options for families our size and I still hold out hope that Disney will see the trends moving towards larger families and adjust their accomodations.

FiremanDisney
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
We have 2 kids so this isnt an issue for us.
If we had more kids we would just have to adapt.
This is a Disney rule so..Gonna have to abide by it.

Seasonscraps
07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
But people are all different sizes. I myself am a couple of toddlers,:secret: so how many people shouldn't make the difference. If you have a bunch of families with toddlers visiting on one floor and a a bunch of heavier adults on another floor..with an equal amount of people on each floor..There is going to be less corridor and stairwell space. So I can't see that being the reason for amount of people.

That's a good point. :thumbsup: Maybe people should have to state their height, weight & clothing size so that Disney can be sure eveyone will fit in the stairwells & corridors in the event of an emergency evacuation.

(just in case...I am being sarcastic :cool: )

KAT1811
07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
That's a good point. :thumbsup: Maybe people should have to state their height, weight & clothing size so that Disney can be sure eveyone will fit in the stairwells & corridors in the event of an emergency evacuation.

(just in case...I am being sarcastic :cool: )

Okay, I'll go along as long as I can lie about my weight. Shave off a couple of pounds! LOL! :blush:

I too am kidding!

gnomelady
07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
There have been allot of great suggestions on this post.
I don't know but Iwould say if you request 2 rooms-with a connecting door because you are a party of 5, I think your request would be honored. I can understand your fustration but rules are rules-it is what it is. Why keep stressing yourself out? If having enougn space,beds etc is an issue rent a condo or vacation home with 2 or 3 bedrooms. It maybe more expensive but it will give you peace of mind knowing you will have what you want. Another suggestion book a room only (if you want 2 rooms I'm sure you would have to pay a deposit on both rooms for first night) then pay on it monthly what ever you can afford. Or pay the balance when you check in. I do this all the time and have my trip paid in full before I leave home.What agreat feeling!
I hope this helps. I don't mean to sound insensitive to how you feel but you can't change the rules.
Enjoy your trip.

mrbghd
07-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Seriously take a deep breath. You can stay at the Poly, the GF, or the Contemporary with 5 and be close to the Magic Kingdom. these are premium locations and come with a premium price. You can also stay at FW in the cabins. If you do not like or cannot afford these options you need to reevaluate your choices and expectations. Try a vacation house off property or even go somewhere else on vacation. The rules are what they are for whatever reason and Disney is not going to change them anytime soon. As for the hotels being booked, with the weak dollar the resorts are filled with European visitors and there is really no longer "slow" times of the year. You seem so upset in planning what should be a fun trip... mayeb it is time to relax and count to 10

gnomelady
07-26-2008, 06:31 AM
I agree with prevous posted you are getting so upset about the trip maybe you should look into other options. Disney is not a cheap vacation but it is affordable with some planning. Like the saying goes you get what you pay for.
Just wondering why can't a child slept in the trundle bed why does if have to be an adult?

RPHX2NC
07-26-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't think OP sounds upset. I think the comments are meant to make light of a frustrating situation. I can't wait for my kids to get bigger and 2 rooms will feel like a deal, connecting of course, you know with an inside door that opens. :blush: Right now they love to sleep together but that won't last. I hope they still want to go to Disney. See, now I am stressing.