PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Hatteras!

DisneyDog
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
We are leaving for our vacation on Saturday. Can't wait. I finally learned where exactly the house is. It is Cape Hatteras and is apparently within walking distance of the Hatteras Village Shopping area. Anyone familiar with this area?

Sunshine1010
07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I have a friend that goes there every year. She and a few other couples rent these HUGE oceanfront houses. They are absolutely amazing.

But - you actually have to ASK for a beachfront house. They'll say 'it's on the ocean'....but it will be across the street or something. he he

Anyhow ----- the area (from hearing her describe it) is absolutely gorgeous (but windy)

DisneyDog
07-15-2008, 01:19 PM
The house we'll be staying in is definitely beach front. 7 master bedrooms, 2 kid rooms with bunk beds, pool, hot tub, media room, game room, 50 inch tv, gourmet kitchen and high speed internet. We're going with DH's family. I finally saw a photo of it online and it looks amazing. I've just never been anywhere in NC before so I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area.

Sunshine1010
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Like I said, I've personally never been, but I have listened to what my friend (who goes there every year) has told me.

She has told me that there is only 1 grocery store in the area and it's always packed. She said there are a lot of little shops and so forth. It's always extremely windy.

That's all I can say. I'm sure someone else will come along and give you more info.

Have fun on your trip!

RPHX2NC
07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
So sorry I read you post too late. We go to there every other year. NC natives. We also rent a huge house with extended family. The village shopping center doesn't have much but the kids can get a few things. We make our own fun. The unspoiled beaches of NC are why we go. The surf there as you know by now can be very dangerous. We had to rescue a teen girl on a boogey board. It really doesn't matter oceanfront at this beach. The beach is wide with tall protective dunes and the houses sit far back with long walkways. The ocean view houses also have walkways. Most homes have private pools and if your lucky, hot tubs, outside bars with TVs, fireplaces, saunas. Not a great beach for swimming because of the rip currents. We had a house with a game room and a sports bar and gym. Really neat.

DisneyDog
07-29-2008, 11:20 AM
We got back Friday evening. What a great trip! The house was beautiful. 7 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, pool, hot tub, media room, huge kitchen with 2 of everything (stove, over, dishwasher...). Right on the beach with a really nice pool. DS5 loved the water. He shed his waterwings after one day and started doing cannonballs. He did go boogie boarding with DH's step-brother's girlfriend. She's a California surfer chick, so she taught him well.

The ride was sooooooo long. It took us 12 hours to get there because the traffic getting over the bridge was so backed up. And it took 11 hours to get home because we hit traffic in Delaware by the Christiana Mall. It was nice to get home and sleep in our own beds after all that traveling! (and that is why we fly when we go to Disney!).

d_m_n_n
08-03-2008, 12:07 PM
DisneyDog, I just sent you a PM!