PDA

View Full Version : WDW or Disneyland ?

hardingella
07-15-2008, 07:22 AM
We have been to WDW several times with our two children who are 11 and 9:mickey:,thinking about visiting disneyland. We are travelling from the UK. Is Disneyland different enough to make it all fresh and new again or will we find things pretty much the same? I would love to know if it is worth that extra traveling time. Any advise would be great.

RALPH
07-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Having done WDW before I did Disneyland on a trip out West, I found DL a big disappointment. I kept comparing it to WDW and found it so small. But don't let my opinion diswade you. If you want to check it out, DO IT. But be forewarned, there is NOTHING on the planet that can compare to WDW. Even DL!

hardingella
07-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Your right,once you've done WDW you cant raise the bar any higher ! Its such a shame, we would love to do the west coast with the kids but we still want to keep it Disney:mickey: i think we are trying to better our last trip, and i think it cant be done. Not such a bad thing !

Melanie
07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
But be forewarned, there is NOTHING on the planet that can compare to WDW. Even DL!

Such a matter of opinion!

You'll find many on these boards who prefer Disneyland over WDW, and to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. The two resorts are such different experiences, you can't predict which someone will like better. Best for one to decide for themselves.

Any true Disney enthusiast should visit Disneyland, Walt's park, to see where it all began. It's truly magical! :tink:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I grew up in Calif and have been to DL many times in my life. It isn't unusual for me to go several times a year. I have only gone to WDW once about 6 years ago. (Just wanted you to know where my opinions are coming from) There are some rides like Pirates that are better at DL, Mr toads wild ride is still there. Indy compared to Dinosaur is better. So do I think you should go, by all means go. That said, as has been earlier reported DL is smaller the MK it doesn't handle crowds as well and the crowds have been getting bigger over the years. If you are going to spend the extra time and money to get there go off season. Avoid June through August and the first 2 weeks of October. Also Christmas through New years. I have heard that the least crowded time is around the 2nd week of January. Hope this helps :mickey:

Flower
07-15-2008, 08:41 AM
We have thought of going to DL as well, and someday we will get there!

I think one of the main factors for us to keep going to WDW is the additional parks: AK DHS & EPCOT.

Most reports I have seen for DL say it can be done in 2-3 days.

Mickey'sGirl
07-15-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think you can compare the two, although they are similar.

We are seasoned WDW folks, and are making our first family DL venture at the end of the month. Our children are 10 and 4 and are quite excited about going somewhere familiar yet different.

Just through the reservation process I have noticed two things...and I might be wrong.
1) Disneyland Resorts seem to be more expensive. 5 days there are costing us as much as 10 days in WDW. This is not a resentful comment, just an observation.
2) Disneyland and the phone operators I have dealt with all seem to be a little more relaxed. With all the hustle and bustle and craziness around ADR's at WDW, it was refreshing to call and discuss options etc. very easily with someone. Again, I could be wrong, but it seems more laid back.

I don't think you can go wrong with either park, but coming from the UK, the pound is soooooo strong against the US$. It might be financially prudent to make a possibly more expensive trek West at this time.

Have fun whatever you do!

TexasPrincessAurora
07-15-2008, 09:29 AM
You just can't compare the two. They are so totally different. Yes, some of the rides at DL and DCA are the same rides that are at WDW. And some are even identical to those rides. But the entire feel and spirit of the place is different.

First of all to be where Walt actually spent time and had his hand on what was created is magical. There is an intimacy about the place that is totally unique to it. The accessibility of everything is amazing. To be able to walk from park to park and to your hotel is something totally foreign to those who only know WDW.

The character meals are better at DL to me. The characters seem more involved and interactive. Heck, Lilo even TALKED to us at our character meal. The special things you can do for special occasions are really neat. There seem to be more little sidewalk shows than WDW.

Is it worth doing? Yes. Will it take you a week or more like WDW does? No. But be sure you give yourself 4 days to really see and enjoy everything.

gwfx1031
07-15-2008, 09:46 AM
We can debate all day long on which location has the better attractions, pricing, parking, resorts, food, etc., etc., etc. Having been to both in recent years, I can say that depsite the differences, the one thing that both have is that "Disney" feeling. I know we can't describe it, yet you know what I am talking about. It is just a great feeling to be at either of those places and enjoying a great time with your family and taking in all the great things both resorts and all the parks have to offer.

I can recommend the Candy Cane Inn if you do not go to a Disney resort while you are there. It is a short walk to the entrance and it is a very nice, clean, well cared for hotel.

Young@Heart
07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I visited DL as a teen, and really enjoyed it. But, because of the areas surrounding it (esp. the tons of hotels/motels) it has a completely different feel than WDW.

At WDW, once we pass under that gate, we feel like we've been transported to a different world. :cloud9: It is such a magical feeling that I can't say I've ever felt at any other vacation spot. I doubt I'd ever be able to feel this way at DL.

jrkcr
07-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I grew up with WDW, and finally went to DL this past January. (we ALWAYS go off season!)

WDW has more parks, and therefore more rides. Even the castle is bigger. Lots to do and see. I like to spend at least 7 days there.

BUT, DL is cool-it is the original! Just riding some of the rides, and knowing that this was around on opening day- and hearing CM's tell stories about Walt while you are on the ride, it was..."magical". And yes, I cried a little. It was very exciting to have totally new/different rides. DL is a 3 day park for me.

They each have some rides that are similar but not exactly the same, and some rides that are completely unique to each park.

I love both parks!!

c&d
07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I think if you love Disney you need to go to DL at least once. I know when I went I was sooo excited. I had seen it on TV when I was growing up and finally being there was truly magical.

I loved eating in the Bayou and watching the ride go by and I enjoyed the Matterhorn. Having heard nothing about the Indiana Jones ride, it was a surprising ride. Yes it is much smaller but the rides are also different. We also loved riding the monorail, the turns going into the park were quite unexpected.

Although it's gotten bad reviews we liked California Adventure. I absolutely loved the roller coaster. DH loved the Maliboomer.

We stayed at the Grand Californian and had a view of the park (CA). It was so pretty to see it at night.

You won't need as long as you do at WDW but I think it's worth the trip.

JRocker
07-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Yes, it is worth the extra travel time to visit.

Setting aside the obvious size differences, I made a couple of observations on my visit to DL.

I much prefer the layout of Downtown Disney in California.

The other visitors seemed more courteous to each other at DL than they are at WDW.

The castmembers at DL are rude compared to the castmembers at WDW.

OMG, the castle is so cute.

Each ride that was duplicated at WDW is different enough to make it new again.

There are a ton of comparisons that could be made between the parks which tells you that there are differences. Enough differences IMO to make it worth the trip.

Personally I prefer one over the other, but that doesn't mean that I don't like the other...

Aggie97
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
We visited DL and stayed at the DL Hotel for the first time (as adults) in 2002 and really enjoyed it. While the experience is not as immersive as WDW, the DL park is amazingly themed and has some great rides -- it truly is magical. We enjoyed DCA as well, although I have read many dissenting opinions about it. I believe we spent 3-4 days between the parks and the DTD area. I know we definitely will go back to DL in a few years once they have completely some of the DCA updates.

Coming from the UK, perhaps you could make your DL visit just part of a lengthier trip to California? :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
If you are trying to save money on a DL trip. the hotels across the street (on Harbor Blvd) are just as close and a lot cheaper then the DL hotels. Try to get something with address between 1500 & 1700 S. Harbor so you don't have to walk so far. My personal favorite is Park Vue. The cost is usually between $70 and $120 a night depending on the time of year. :mickey: Also don't forget that Universal Studios and Sea World are not to far away. If your not driving there are bus tours that will take you there for a good price. :mickey: And you can by city pass tickets that will include all of these places even DL

meldan98
07-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm from CA and have been to DL a lot. I've been to WDW 3 times.

DL and WDW are very different as other posters have described. I love DL and I love WDW. They both still feel very Disney, but I always get a more nostalgic feeling when I walk the streets of DL. When we first walk in I always look at the firehouse and look at the light in the window. I really "feel" Walt's presence and impact on DL, where I don't get that feeling at WDW.

On the other side of the coin though, I really don't like Calif. Adventure and really hope that the $1 Billion revamp will bring up to par with other Disney parks. I don't think though that this is enough to keep you away from DL though. I told my dh on a previous visit that when we do both parks, that I want to start at CA and end at DL and not the other way around. CA can be kind of a let down as far as Disney spirit goes.

Soul_Power
07-19-2008, 12:38 PM
This is a really tough topic!

I was born and raised in California, so Disneyland played a big part of my childhood (I have pictures taken at Disneyland when I was in diapers :mickey:). I went to WDW for the first time last year, and I was blown away :jaw:! After going to WDW I was convinced that Disneyland would never again compare until I read something on Intercot that got me thinking.. Someone commented on the fact that Disneyland is that much more special because Walt Disney actually walked down Main Street, etc. etc. and that really IS such a special thing. Now, I find it hard to pick one over the other because each is equally unique! :mickey:

Lizzie
07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I have been to DW three times and can't count the times I have been to DL. I love DW but will probably visit DL more in the next few years. With smaller kids its nice and easy and relaxed we can drive to get there. Go for a week and see everything and still go back for naps every day. Its also nice that we stay close buy so we don't have to fight a stoller on a bus.

I love DW but there are things at DL that I love too. I would recommend seeing both parks, but if you are out this way I would also visit other things CA has to offer.

lindique
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Disneyland is very special, in its own way. If you go, I recommend that you take the tour "A Walk in Walt's Footsteps", which explains quite a bit about the early days of the park. Disneyland is a must-do, in my opinion, for Disney-lovers.

You will find many rides there that don't exist at all in Florida, and some others that are much better versions than those in Florida.

Of course, Disneyland is only a 3-4 day vacation, as there are only 2 parks (although I would guess that the DL Magic Kingdom has about 50% more rides than the Florida version). Therefore, I would recommend that you book some other things to do in the Southern California area - there are many bus tours that leave from the Anaheim hotels that will take you to the other LA Theme Parks, as well as San Diego. You can even book a tour to Las Vegas.