PDA

View Full Version : Brett Farve ...should he come back ?

RAIDER
07-15-2008, 05:14 AM
I have been watching the NFL programmes from the UK and i wondered if any of you had a opinion on whether Farve should retire gracefully or for Green Bay to give him one last shot of glory to get in the Superbowl Final .

I personally would love to see him come back only if its with Green Bay ..If he goes with any other team i think it would be a complete waste .

From what i have seen from the NFL update programmes ,is that everyone has come out and spoken , except Farve himself ??? ..How true is this ?

Melanie
07-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Favre gave an interview last night to Fox News where he said he wants to come back, he retired too early, but that he doesn't feel welcome in Green Bay anymore. He wants to play elsewhere.

I have such mixed feelings on this. :unsure:

Twinsowner
07-15-2008, 07:00 AM
No!

BMan62
07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
He's as bad as Roger Clemens -- Just retire and stay retired! This back and forth just ruins the reputation of a great player!

Why would he be coming back? He certainly doesn't need the money. His stats over the past few years have been slipping. He is a Hall of Fame quarterback who is becoming a laughing stock because of his failure to be realistic.

He told Green Bay that he was retiring -- they own his contract for the next season and I hope they don't buckle and release him.

Jeff G
07-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Being a Packer fan and living 20 minutes from GB this is all we've have on the local news and radio the past two weeks. The surprising thing is that the almost everyone I've spoken to in GB country is thinking it's time for the Packers to move on.

Over the past few years Favre has held our team hostage (I'm a a shareholder so I can say that) as he debated his future during the post season. This past season ended in late January with the loss to the Giants. Favre then took six weeks to decide if he was coming back or not. The Packers needed to know ASAP in order to decide a draft strategy and/or decide if there were any free agent QB's to look at as a possibility. I think giving Favre six weeks was fair. Yesterday in an interview he said he was rushed by the Packers. Rushed? They waited through much of the initial free agency period and may have missed top free agents waiting. As an organization Favre's flip flopping is hurting them. There is more to the team than just one player.

Plus, when he retired the Packers used two draft picks on QB's and also looked at free agents including Daunte Culpepper. The team over the past few months has revamped it's offense and roster because Favre retired. Favre forced the team to move on by retiring.

Had he not announced his retirement I would have loved to see him back but this is a team game and not an individual sport. The Packers need to do what is best for the team right now and when Favre announced his retirement they moved in a different direction.

Favre is an awesome QB and will be missed but as a team it was time to move on.

His stats over the past few years have been slipping. He is a Hall of Fame quarterback who is becoming a laughing stock because of his failure to be realistic.

I agree with everything except the slipping. Last season Favre had great stats and was 2nd in MVP voting behind Brady. A glimpse of his stats:

Completion Percentage: 66.5
Yards Passed for: 4,155
Touchdowns: 28
Interceptions: 15
QB Rating: 95.7
Sacks: 15

All of these numbers are in the top 5 stats for QB's.

RAIDER
07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Being a Packer fan and living 20 minutes from GB this is all we've have on the local news and radio the past two weeks. The surprising thing is that the almost everyone I've spoken to in GB country is thinking it's time for the Packers to move on.

Over the past few years Favre has held our team hostage (I'm a a shareholder so I can say that) as he debated his future during the post season. This past season ended in late January with the loss to the Giants. Favre then took six weeks to decide if he was coming back or not. The Packers needed to know ASAP in order to decide a draft strategy and/or decide if there were any free agent QB's to look at as a possibility. I think giving Favre six weeks was fair. Yesterday in an interview he said he was rushed by the Packers. Rushed? They waited through much of the initial free agency period and may have missed top free agents waiting. As an organization Favre's flip flopping is hurting them. There is more to the team than just one player.

Plus, when he retired the Packers used two draft picks on QB's and also looked at free agents including Daunte Culpepper. The team over the past few months has revamped it's offense and roster because Favre retired. Favre forced the team to move on by retiring.

Had he not announced his retirement I would have loved to see him back but this is a team game and not an individual sport. The Packers need to do what is best for the team right now and when Favre announced his retirement they moved in a different direction.

Favre is an awesome QB and will be missed but as a team it was time to move on.

I agree with everything except the slipping. Last season Favre had great stats and was 2nd in MVP voting behind Brady. A glimpse of his stats:

Completion Percentage: 66.5
Yards Passed for: 4,155
Touchdowns: 28
Interceptions: 15
QB Rating: 95.7
Sacks: 15

All of these numbers are in the top 5 stats for QB's.

Jeff
Thankyou for that a brilliant insight... As a person who watches the game from afar ( dont know as much as you guys however :teach:) i suppose its romantic to come and see him come back and walk off in the sunset like John Elway did .I was gutted when GB lost in the playoffs last year i really did want him to go out of the game in that fashion . But in many ways your right sense has to prevail and the team must move on :thumbsup:

ibrowse17
07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
No. It has been not been fun to watch him at times the past couple of years. If he had wanted to do this, he should have said so before the draft. If the Packers had know he was going to do this, I do not think they would have drafted QB's like they did.

medic9016
07-15-2008, 04:15 PM
No way. You can't cry at your retirement press conference and beg to come back a few months later. It's time for the Packers to move forward.

Jasper
07-15-2008, 04:35 PM
He is retired and should stay that way! And as for releasing him from his contract so he can go elsewhere, how do we know that this wasn't his plan all along and his "retirement" wasn't just a ploy to get him out of his Packer contract? I say he is retired and he should stay that way and Green Bay should hold on to his contract!

JPL
07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I look at it this way if he wants to play and another team wants him then fine they can make an offer and GB will get a fair value for him. It's obvious that he wants to stay in GB he will be a backup and if that's the case he should stay retired.

Epc0tphr34k
07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
i'm probably in the minority here but i am ok with him coming back. I even think i know where he makes the most sense. I think the packers forced him to retire and i can see their stand point of wanted to get something out of rogers before his contract is up. I think brett should come back and I think miami should make a play for him.
in fact jason taylor for favre makes sense. Taylor wants and should be in a 43 defense(and we all know miami under parcells and sporano is going to the 34) and he would be nasty across from kampman. having favre gives you a legend for a year or 2 that beck and henne can learn from. its win win for both teams and makes both teams that much better. miami may actually be able to compete in the east and green bays defense gets even nastier on the pass rush and thus helps them "keep up with the jones'"(or vikings as the case may be) when it comes to pass rush. green bay already inquired about taylor so they are interested

Donald A
07-26-2008, 07:38 PM
The way I look at it, the Packers paid him a lot of money. They gave Farve the upmost respect to make a decision. He made a decision and wants to change his mind. I say, let him come back and sit his butt on the bench. Go with Rogers and get on with it. I am growing sick and tired of pro athletes whining and wanting more money. To me this is a contract issue. The Packers own his contract and if he wants to play in the NFL it is with Green Bay or no one. This is as bad as these NBA athletes asking for trades and threatening to not play if they don't get it.

Jeff G
07-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Brett,

Don't go away mad, just go away.

Signed,

A Packer fan.

alphamommy
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm not a Packers fan, but I think if I were I would feel betrayed by his wishy-washy handling of the situation. For me, it would sully his reputation to some degree.

As a Lions fan, I didn't like the way Barry Sanders left any better. He was a great player, but frankly I'll never look at him the same. The sports radio version of the Barry story was that he got to the entrance ramp to get on the highway to go to training camp, stopped for a few minutes, then turned around and went back home. Even if that's not true, I just don't think he handled it very well.

Any player has the right to decide his/her fate and future. However, in the business world, you can't quit a job, be gone for a few weeks or months, then "take it back". IMO, it's time for the Packers to move on.

Now, if they want to trade him to the Lions...

RAIDER
07-31-2008, 04:03 AM
I watched the NFL Total Access last night and Farve is now acting like a spoilt child with sending in his fax so late in the day .Surely after being with a team so long he must know what their going through before the start of the season . :confused:

Ian
08-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm sure I'll take a lot of flak for this, but I've never liked Brett Favre. I've always thought he was a pretty big jerk. He had drug issues, he acted like a spoiled child when the Packers drafted Aaron Rogers, every year with the "will he or won't he retire" drama, dragging it out.

And now he has this big, emotional retirement ceremony where he cries and weeps and all that baloney. And now he wants to come back???

First off, he's overrated anyway. Yeah, he's put up big numbers, but he's also never missed any games due to injury so that's inflated things. Plus he has a horrible penchant for lobbing up bad passes at critical game moments ... passes that normally turn into interceptions.

And it's a well-known fact that he does it because he hates getting sacked. What kind of garbage is that??? He's so protective of his own "iron man" streak that he'd rather throw an interception (and hurt the team) that risk getting hurt?? Doesn't sound like a "warrior" to me?!

I've always thought he was very selfish and, the truth is, the guy won one Super Bowl like a decade ago (mostly on the backs of his defense, I might add) and hasn't done bubkes since.

I don't care if he comes back or not, but I don't get why anyone would want him?? :confused:

WDWfanatic742
08-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Brett Favre got re-instated this morning and will be flying out to Green Bay tonight...

LauraleeH
08-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Personally, I think the guy is crazy. Just watching his interviews and constantly being up and down, he is worse than a teenaged girl. Just doesn't know what he wants.

Jeff G
08-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm sure I'll take a lot of flak for this, but I've never liked Brett Favre. I've always thought he was a pretty big jerk. He had drug issues, he acted like a spoiled child when the Packers drafted Aaron Rogers, every year with the "will he or won't he retire" drama, dragging it out.

And now he has this big, emotional retirement ceremony where he cries and weeps and all that baloney. And now he wants to come back???

First off, he's overrated anyway. Yeah, he's put up big numbers, but he's also never missed any games due to injury so that's inflated things. Plus he has a horrible penchant for lobbing up bad passes at critical game moments ... passes that normally turn into interceptions.

And it's a well-known fact that he does it because he hates getting sacked. What kind of garbage is that??? He's so protective of his own "iron man" streak that he'd rather throw an interception (and hurt the team) that risk getting hurt?? Doesn't sound like a "warrior" to me?!

I've always thought he was very selfish and, the truth is, the guy won one Super Bowl like a decade ago (mostly on the backs of his defense, I might add) and hasn't done bubkes since.

I don't care if he comes back or not, but I don't get why anyone would want him?? :confused:

That is a harsh statement.

Brett is a great quarterback and definitely one of the best to play the game regardless of how this situation plays out. Throughout the years he made passes that only he could make. He won three MVP's and is the only player to ever do so. There were many years his team was weak yet he and he alone made them better, in his 16 seasons the Packers have had only one loosing season, very impressive. Another exapmle of how great of a QB he is, how many of his WR's have left the team for bigger contracts turning out to be nobody's once there? Examples would be Antonio Freeman, Corey Bradford and Bill Schroeder. None of them did anything once they weren't receiving balls from Favre.

As for the only reason the Pack won the SB was due to their defense. That season they had the number one rated offense as well as defense. To say they won because of the defense is not merited. Shoot, almost all of the teams that won the SB with HOF QB's still had a great D.

He did have a drug issue but he stepped forward, owned up to it and got help for it. I wouldn't blast him for that.

I am a Packer fan and I may be blinded but many of my Friends who are Bear, Viking and Cowboy fans still agree that Favre is a great QB.

As great as I beleive he is I have tired of his antices over the past couple years. Each year there is drama of should I come back or not. He holds a team of 52 players hostage for several months every year. Then this year he retires and then wants to come back and when the team doesn't have him in their plans he acted like a spoiled brat going as far as blasting his teams managment. I am a huge Favre fan but I don't want him back any longer.

I'll be at Lambeau with my kids in about two hours for the scrimmage and I can't wait to see how Rogers looks.

Ian
08-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd say he's a very good QB ... I won't go to great.

And I never said he wasn't good. I just said I think he's very overrated and I stand by that statement.

He has all the things you say he has, but he also has very poor judgement. Look at that "4th and 26" playoff game against the Eagles ... the Packers lost that game solely because Favre threw up just a ludicrous ball at the end of the game that was picked off. The Eagles were done in that game until Favre single-handedly blew it.

Jeff G
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
He has all the things you say he has, but he also has very poor judgment. Look at that "4th and 26" playoff game against the Eagles ... the Packers lost that game solely because Favre threw up just a ludicrous ball at the end of the game that was picked off. The Eagles were done in that game until Favre single-handedly blew it.

I cannot disagree with you on this point. There are several key games where I can look back on and Favre's poor decision was turning point in the game and for this it keeps him from being in the top caliber with Joe Montana. That said he is one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Ian
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I cannot disagree with you on this point. There are several key games where I can look back on and Favre's poor decision was turning point in the game and for this it keeps him from being in the top caliber with Joe Montana. That said he is one of the greatest to ever play the game.See again ... I'm not going to go there. I don't think he is one of the greatest to ever play the game.

I think he's a very good QB, but I can easily rattle off at least 10-15 quarterbacks in NFL history that I think are better than he is. In fact, I'm not sure Favre is even in the top 5 in terms of active quarterbacks.

Honestly, in my opinion, his biggest claim to fame is his durability. That's definitely impressive and I give him mad props for that.

But I think people have gotten carried away with the Favre love fest. I mean the dude has as many rings as Trent Dilfer does.

RAIDER
08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I know i am going to get my fingers burnt here ..but what the heck :D

In my humble opinion for all the years i have been watch NFL from across the pond ... The greatest quarterback i have ever seen was John Elway... Now i know he probably doesnt match up stat wise to alot of others but for me he was entertaining .... When Elway was hot he was hot and when he was off form he was diabolical . But as a Raiders fan whenever the Broncos were on tv i would always his games

I class Farve in that sort of catergory he is an entertainer, a quarterback who on his day can bring off a stroke of genuis . However Farve is classed in the USA on the list of all time greats quarterback wise ...For me he was always worth watching and i am sure Green Bay would never have been the force without him ...

Whatever the rights and wrongs of his comeback ...I feel if Green Bay have the best chance of winning the superbowl with him .
However i totally understand that Green Bay have to build a new dynasty and the quicker the better fan wise

Ok you can all get me ;) :D

Mackflava99
08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
He should but its going to be weird now-
Farve gives GB a chance to Win- but will it be at the cost of Aaron Rodgers? if he is their future it may cause damage if they let Farve come back with no competition.

I wonder what happens if Rodgers wins? Every time he throws an INT he will be boo-ed mercilessly.

Ian
08-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I wonder what happens if Rodgers wins? Every time he throws an INT he will be boo-ed mercilessly.Why? They oughta be used to that by now. :secret:

indytraveler
08-05-2008, 05:28 PM
OK OK OK... back to the original debate. What the Packers are doing to Favre is nothing more than Favre was doing to them the last 3-4 years. If I was the Packers I would be doing the same thing. That is waiting until the last possible moment to cut a deal for him or release him. By not releasing him up until this point places Favre that much further behind a new team offense.

About him going to the Vikings? Are you nuts? Whoever the GM is (sorry don't know) will be run out of Green Bay if Favre leads the Vikings to the post season and possibly the Super Bowl. You have to hand it to the Packers for not wanting a circus atmosphere this training camp. This is going to be the biggest side show for the Packers. Remember they were one game away from the Super Bowl last year. The national media is feeding this story from every angle. Do you think the rest of the team will get tired of this? They aren't nor weren't getting any questions about how they are/were doing but rather Favre questions.
Morale will start to turn and there will be divisions among the team as to who will be qb. Some receivers could have been hanging out with Rodgers in hopes they would get more balls thrown their way. This may have been already happening. Maybe Favre throws to his favorites and not to Rodgers'. See where this can end up? If this doesn't get cleaned up fast then the Packers will be a non-factor this year.
Can you imagine at the end of this year with Favre the starter going 8-8 and missing the playoffs and retiring again because it was no fun? That was part of the reasons he retired in the first place.
I'm just watching and waiting for the train wreck to happen. However, once Favre leads them to a victory then all will be forgotten. Such is life in Green Bay.

Jeff G
08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
I wonder what happens if Rodgers wins? Every time he throws an INT he will be boo-ed mercilessly.

I can't stand being a Packer fan with all this Favre crud right now. The homers are all calling for Ted Thompson's head and feel that if Favre comes back the Pack are on the way to the Super bowl. Do they realize that this guy is going to be 39 by the end of the year? Even with him playing at the top of his game last year they fell short and Favre looked cold and not in the game during the NFC Championship game.

As for the booing it already started. I was at Lambeau with my kids Sunday night for the scrimmage. Rogers threw an int during simulation where the was no time left and the clock was about to expire and the crowd booed him. They didn't realize the drill that was being run only the fact that he was picked.

I know i am going to get my fingers burnt here ..but what the heck :D

In my humble opinion for all the years i have been watch NFL from across the pond ... The greatest quarterback i have ever seen was John Elway... Now i know he probably doesn't match up stat wise to a lot of others but for me he was entertaining .... When Elway was hot he was hot and when he was off form he was diabolical . But as a Raiders fan whenever the Broncos were on tv i would always his games

I class Farve in that sort of category he is an entertainer, a quarterback who on his day can bring off a stroke of genius . However Farve is classed in the USA on the list of all time greats quarterback wise ...For me he was always worth watching and i am sure Green Bay would never have been the force without him ...

Whatever the rights and wrongs of his comeback ...I feel if Green Bay have the best chance of winning the Super Bowl with him .
However i totally understand that Green Bay have to build a new dynasty and the quicker the better fan wise

Ok you can all get me ;) :D

No bashing coming from me with the argument that Elway was better than Favre. Elway was at his greatest when his team was down and needed a comeback(the area where Favre seems to through ill advised passes). He also single handedly led the Broncos to the Super Bowl in '86, '87 & '89. When they finally won it it was more TD's team but Elway was in five total Superbowls and won two. I still feel Montana was the best quarterback ever to play with Marino, Elway, Unitas all ahead of Favre for sure. When Brady and Manning are done playing either or both of them may join these ranks. The next tier of QB's are where I would place Favre wit the likes of Bradshaw, Starr(may be the greatest but payed in a much different style game), Young & Fouts.

brewcrew26
08-06-2008, 10:37 PM
From a media standpoint -- make it stop!!! I can't stand coming to work and talking endlessly about this anymore. When it first started, I thought Brett was coming across as whiny. Then, I flipped to think that the Packers were being unreasonable and were trying to buy him off with the $20 million marketing agreement. Now, I'm just sick of the whole thing.

As I type this (I'm at work) I'm staring at a feed of the Lambeau Field pressroom monitoring if Ted Thompson is hosting a press conference tonight (it's 9:30 p.m....) about the possibility of a trade. Honestly, is it really necessary to follow Brett at an airport in rural Mississippi?

I'm amazed at how this state lives by Brett Favre and the Packers. I was talking to another producer tonight and I actually agreed with him on this thought: If Green Bay fans live in Titletown they should want nothing less than a winner. Brett Favre hasn't delivered a winner (a Superbowl) in over 10 years. If Vince Lombardi was still running this team, he would've shipped him off the first time we had "Tractor Watch 2002"

Wow...my second post in the sports section...in a night....weird...

Hammer
08-07-2008, 12:29 AM
ESPN wire services- The Brett Favre era in Green Bay apparently came to an end late Wednesday as the longtime Packers star quarterback was traded to the New York Jets, Foxsports.com first reported.

The compensation, believed to be a single draft pick that rises in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season, was confirmed by ESPN's Michael Smith on Wednesday night.

The Jets declined to comment on the report.

Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press earlier Wednesday that the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were emerging as the most likely trade destinations for the three-time MVP.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson skipped practice Wednesday morning, and his scheduled early afternoon media availability was postponed indefinitely -- signs that a deal could be in the works. Thompson also was not seen at Wednesday night's practice, although team president and CEO Mark Murphy made an appearance.

Favre was on a private plane that left for Hattiesburg, Miss. at 1:25 p.m. EDT Cook and Favre's wife, Deanna, also were aboard the plane that landed two hours later. Favre's family home is near Hattiesburg.

In Mississippi, Favre confirmed that he was considering the Jets and Buccaneers.

"We're working on it," Favre said in video posted on Jackson TV station WJTV's Web site. "Hopefully we can get something resolved. I've been saying that for quite a while now. I don't want to say we're running out of time, but I need to get into a camp somewhere."

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden refused to address speculation that the team was on the verge of a deal for Favre, sidestepping a question about whether he had spoken to Favre Tuesday night.

"I'm not going to talk about it," Gruden said. "I don't know anything other than what happened today on the practice field, and I don't want to address any more speculation at this point. Brett's situation will resolve itself during the coming days I would assume. But at this point and time, all I can comment on is our football team and what we did today."

Gruden acknowledged that he's always willing to explore ways to improve his team.

"We are a good football team," Gruden said. "We're trying to become a great one. We'll do anything we can to get better. And if that involves looking at other players, by George that's our job. That's our responsibility."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy spoke to Favre again Tuesday night, but there was no indication that their conversation did anything to change the fractured relationship between Favre and the franchise.

"It was just very general," McCarthy said of the conversation with Favre, who was excused from practice Wednesday. "Just how he was doing, where he was with the process, things like that."

McCarthy said he was happy the rest of his players were getting a chance to move forward.

"We talked about it last night," McCarthy said. "The players want resolution, they want what everybody wants. To come out here every day and talk about somebody that is not here and then shows up, it's gone on too long, and understandably so. They want to play football."

Packers players vented frustration over the Favre situation Tuesday, after fans chanting "Bring Back Brett!" turned practice into a zoo-like atmosphere and reporters continued asking questions about Favre instead of football.

After McCarthy made it clear Tuesday that Favre's football future wouldn't be in Green Bay, players seemed to have some sense of closure.

"It was just important to get things moving," Packers tackle Mark Tauscher said. "Obviously, there's no closure as of yet, but I think we've kind of been told what's going on and I think we all kind of know where everything stands."

Packers cornerback Charles Woodson -- who said Tuesday that the saga had "gone on long enough" -- said Wednesday that the Packers' front office gave players the answers they needed.

"From what I understand, for the most part it's taken care of," Woodson said. "Now it's just about the Packers and not about the situation. It's over now. From what I understand, it's pretty much over."

And if the Packers end up playing against Favre in Tampa on Sept. 28?

"Once you're on another team, you're on another team," Woodson said. "I think for the most part the locker room would have liked to see him back here. But like I say, once you're on another team ..."

The final split between the Packers and Favre became obvious Tuesday night. McCarthy told reporters that after extensive conversations with Favre over two days, he had determined that Favre doesn't have the right mind-set to play for the Packers.

After approximately six hours of what McCarthy called "brutally honest" conversations with Favre, McCarthy said Favre couldn't seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks -- even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table.

"The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want," McCarthy said Tuesday. "He needs to jump on the train and let's go. Or, if we can't get past things that have happened, I have to keep the train moving."

Favre left Lambeau Field just before Packers practice Tuesday afternoon.

"We're at a stalemate," Favre told ESPN Tuesday morning.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

brewcrew26
08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
AHHH! My night keeps getting more exciting......

DAKustodial
08-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Thank God this whole drama is over! I was getting so tired of it being the lead story every night on Sportscenter. This is going to be an interesting year in the NFL...I can't wait to see how all of this plays out in the standings!

Just wondering how the Packers fans are feeling these days? How about the Jets fans?

Mackflava99
08-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Farve is a Jet- Unbelievable!!!

I guess i am glad i kept my season tickets now-

Ian
08-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Honestly, I'm obviously no Favre fan, but I think he made the right choice. I just couldn't figure out how he was going to fit in Tampa Bay. They were not the right team for him.

Of course, I'm not really sure what the Jets are hoping to get out of this either. They're not like the Vikings where they were a good QB away from a Super Bowl. This team was 4-12 last year and has more holes than a block of Swiss.

I see Favre playing there one year, being very frustrated with how badly things go, and then retiring again at the end of the year.

Whether or not he stays retired is anybody's guess.

Jeff G
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
The drama is finally over. LIving 20 minuites from GB this is all I've heard about for the last month plus. Nothing like :beat: over and over.

My take, Favre had become bigger than the Packers and was trying to influence the team to much. He's openly admitted he lobbied for Randy Moss and was upset when the team went with McCathy over Marriucci as the head coach. He was the also upset when the team drafted Rogers and treated him pretty poorly over the first couple years he was with the team. Being a team game and Favre is in his upper 30's what were the Packers supposed to do? Wait for him to retire and then go get a new quarterback? Then there was the drama each of the past four seasons, is Favre coming back or not. Even he wasn't sure what year was/is going to be his last. I know it's hard to retire but when he kept going back and forth he was holding a team of 52 other players hostage at the most pivitol position.

Then there is this off season. He reitres, then he has an itch only to decide he wants to stay retired. Again in June he has an itch but denies it via text messages. The Packers were painted into a corner when he finally wanted to unretire. They had moved in a different direction but Favre didn't like that so he took this whole message public. Every chance he had he blasted the management in GB. I give the organization a lot of credit. I have been a Packer fan my entire life and enjoyed the past 16 seasons with Favre but at the same time he is 38 and there will be a day when the game passes him by if it already hasn't.

My opinion; thanks for the great memories Favre but this is a team game and you put yourself ahead of the Packers. It's a good time to part ways.

Now comes the fun of putting up with the idiots at Lambeau who will boo everything Aaron Rogers does and call for Ted Thompson's head, a GM that rebuilt a team from 4-12 to 13-3 in just a few quick years. Or was it Brett Favre that putt the other 51 players together that played well last year?

RAIDER
08-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I am really shocked with him going to the Jets for all the programmes i have watched this team was never mentioned .:confused:

It will be an interesting season ..Shame GB and the Jets arent playing each other this season ,now that would have been worth watching :D :thumbsup:

sportsguy2315
08-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Being a diehard Vikings fan, I'm happy Brett's a Jet. I'm pretty sure the Vikes had little or no interest in Farve due mostly to his attitude/age but also because we have our QB of the future in Tarvaris Jackson. However, I was in camp Monday, and well, everybody wanted Farve in town no matter what the cost. :confused:

Jeff G
08-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I am really shocked with him going to the Jets for all the programmes i have watched this team was never mentioned .:confused:

It will be an interesting season ..Shame GB and the Jets arent playing each other this season ,now that would have been worth watching :D :thumbsup:

The Jets & Bucs were the two teams in the running for over a month now. Two weeks ago there were talks between the Jets and Pack but Brett wouldn't talk to the Jets management and said he wouldn't OK the trade. All along the Pack preffered to send Favre to the Jets since they are in the AFC and they don't play GB this year.

RAIDER
08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
The Jets & Bucs were the two teams in the running for over a month now. Two weeks ago there were talks between the Jets and Pack but Brett wouldn't talk to the Jets management and said he wouldn't OK the trade. All along the Pack preffered to send Favre to the Jets since they are in the AFC and they don't play GB this year.

Blimey i must have missed heaps out ,what we were getting in the UK was the Bucs,Vikings were favourites and the Ravens at one point :blush:

Ian
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I have to say that I'm very impressed with the way the Packers handled this situation.

The easy thing to do would have been to cave in, give Favre what he (and the fans) wanted, and trade Rodgers somewhere else.

I admire the fact that they stood their ground with him, even in the face of immense risk. Letting a player like Favre walk away and staking it all on Aaron Rogers' shoulders is a gutsy move and not one many GM's would have made.

Faver
08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
No way..... His career was fantastic ! Now it's a circus....

I just hope the Jets don't pay for his selfishness.............

Mackflava99
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
This team was 4-12 last year and has more holes than a block of Swiss.

Actually last year's 4-12 was an aberation caused by injuries- the year before they made the playoffs- They lost alot of close games at the beginning and then the floodgates came on when Clemens started-
They had a bumper Free Agent crop and a great draft-
The Jets could go 11-5 this year with their schedule and now with Farve- i am not sure-
he may be too old and he certainly doesnt know their offense.

It will be sad to see chad Pennington go, but he had 2 rotator cuff injuries and his arm was shot- but he is a classy competitor.

indytraveler
08-08-2008, 12:01 AM
OK short term.. The Jets will win this year. have a legitimate shot at playoffs. Packers this year... I'd be surprised if they go 8-8. They are in the worst division in football, Bears, Vikings, Lions. Packers may fall all over themselves and wind up in playoffs with that 8-8 record.

Long term... Jets will need a qb in 2 years when this contract is over and Favre becomes a free agent. Do you really think he'll play his 2 years in NY and be done? Vikings here he comes.
Packers in 2 years may be welcoming the Brian Brohm era. Rodgers doesn't stand a chance in Green Bay only because he isn't Brett Favre. Replacing a legend :ack: is a tough thing to do. ask Jay Fielder and Jake Plummer. Green Bay just think you're only 12 years into your next 40 year drought between Super Bowl appearances. :D

Scar
08-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Green Bay just think you're only 12 years into your next 40 year drought between Super Bowl appearances. :DHmmm... The Jets are 39 years into theirs. I wonder what that means? :unsure:

Although in reality, Green Bay was more like 30 years.

Ian
08-08-2008, 09:07 AM
The Jets could go 11-5 this year with their schedule and now with Farve- i am not sure-Actually, in looking at their schedule, you may be right. They've got a real softie:

Sep 07 NYJ @ MIA - Win
Sep 14 NE @ NYJ - Loss
Sep 22 NYJ @ SD - Loss
Sep 28 ARI @ NYJ - Win
Oct 12 CIN @ NYJ - Loss
Oct 19 NYJ @ OAK - Win
Oct 26 KC @ NYJ - Win
Nov 02 NYJ @ BUF - Loss
Nov 09 STL @ NYJ - Win
Nov 13 NYJ @ NE - Loss
Nov 23 NYJ @ TEN - Loss
Nov 30 DEN @ NYJ - Win
Dec 07 NYJ @ SF - Win
Dec 14 BUF @ NYJ - Win
Dec 21 NYJ @ SEA - Loss
Dec 28 MIA @ NYJ - Win

Even being pretty conservative, I don't see any way they go less than 9-7. 10-6 is likely and 11-5 is probably doable.

Problem is, in the AFC that's not likely to get you into the playoffs when you're in the same division with New England.

indytraveler
08-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Although in reality, Green Bay was more like 30 years.

This is correct. I was thinking last championship was in 1967 (Super Bowl II) Then the win in '96 which is approx 30 years. Lets just round up ok?

But with a nickname "Titletown, USA" They need to win more than just 1 championship in 40 years.

Still believe Favre has 2-3 more years left in him. And Rodgers stands no chance to succeed in Green Bay. He has to win Super Bowl this year, because Favre was one game away from the Super Bowl last year.

Mackflava99
09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Brett made a believer out of me- I liked Pennington alot but this week- i became a big brett fan, i always liked him but i was worried he was too old-
i was at the game Sunday- it was crazy to see how quickly they scored- i had to pinch myself....

J-E-T-S-

Jeff G
09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Brett made a believer out of me- I liked Pennington alot but this week- i became a big brett fan, i always liked him but i was worried he was too old-
i was at the game Sunday- it was crazy to see how quickly they scored- i had to pinch myself....

J-E-T-S-

Keep in mind that was the Arizona Cardinals that never gave him any pressure. When he plays a legitimate defense and puts up great numbers then I'll beleive. The week before last he looked awful against the Chargers until they were down by 21+ points and the Chargers were giving up the entire middle of the field.

Mackflava99
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Keep in mind that was the Arizona Cardinals that never gave him any pressure. .

Oh i know- but I am a jet fan so i need to cling to the SMALLEST bit of hope :)

Jeff G
10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Oh i know- but I am a jet fan so i need to cling to the SMALLEST bit of hope :)

True, very true. Brett will win a game or two for you this year and with the Pat's down a grade or two it should make things fun this year as a Jets fan.

I hope your not a Met's fan too.

Mackflava99
10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
No I am a Yankee fan-

Jets
Yankees
NY Rangers in Hockey
and Golden State in Basketball ( long story)

But i have kept my favorite teams since i was a child- I never understood how people changed..