PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, need some help

sweetmom
07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi there,
I am a newbie as we have never taken a disney cruise or any other cruise for that matter. My friends just came back from a disney cruise and they had a blast. So we want to book one. I have some questions and would really appreciate some help. We are thinking of booking a cruise for 2009 or 2010

1) My kids aren't in school yet so we can go pretty much anytime of the year. We live only an hour away from Port Canaveral. What is the best time of the year to go on a Disney cruise. I am thinking when school is in session for lower crowds but we also want to be able to swim and snorkle and since we live in Florida, we really do not swim until the water and weather is warm enough. So please help narrow down some months

2) How far ahead is it recommended to book it? Where is the best place to book it? If I do it through the Disney site, can I request a specific room and how do I do that?

3) If I were to rquest a room, what would it be? We are two adults and two little ones under the age of 3. I am thinking category 7 and up but not something like cat 1

4) Where can I find the prices and is there any discounts for AP holders, florida residents or AAA members? Which one is better?

5) When do I make reservations for restaurants and shows?

6) We are thinking of a 7 night eastern or western carribean.

Thanks so much for all your help

TammiMcMan
07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
1) My kids aren't in school yet so we can go pretty much anytime of the year. We live only an hour away from Port Canaveral. What is the best time of the year to go on a Disney cruise.Least expensive is usually the fall due to hurricane season. Lower occupancy as well, because kids are back in school. Early May is also another good time to cruise. No worries about storms or cold fronts.

2) How far ahead is it recommended to book it? Where is the best place to book it? If I do it through the Disney site, can I request a specific room and how do I do that?In the cruise industry, typically the earlier you book, the lower the price. I would definitely check into Florida resident rates though. Depending on the stateroom category, you'll either be able to select your own stateroom or be placed in what's called a GTY room. Basically, it means your guaranteed a room in that stateroom category, but there is a chance you will be upgraded when your stateroom is finally assigned. That's normally done with the category 11's and 12's. As this is your first cruise, I'd suggest contacting Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com). They're a site sponsor, as well as being experts on Disney travel.

3) If I were to rquest a room, what would it be? We are two adults and two little ones under the age of 3. I am thinking category 7 and up but not something like cat 1.Category 7's are a great option, especially if you are nervous about having a verandah. It's sort of like an enclosed porch, but the porthole window is open. It still gives you a great view and makes you feel like you're outside. These are really limited though, so again, early reservation would be key.

4) Where can I find the prices and is there any discounts for AP holders, florida residents or AAA members? Which one is better?The Disney cruise website has prices and yes there are discounts available. I mentioned Magical Journeys, that would be a good place to start.

5) When do I make reservations for restaurants and shows?The rotational dining and shows are all pre-assigned. When you book your cruise, you can select to eat at the early or late sitting. The only reservations you'll need to make are with Flounders if you want babysitting, Palo if you want to eat at the adult restaurant, spa and excursions. Those can be done 75 days before your cruise (if you're a first time cruiser).

A great resource, besides INTERCOT :thumbsup: is the book, Passporters Guide to DCL. When we did our first cruise, I picked up a copy and I'm in love with this book.

JMTStone
07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm going to second Magical Journeys as a place to contact. They make is so easy and less expensive.

I wish we could download Tammi's brain. She has great advice.

Experiment626
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi there

Even though the water may be a little cold for snorkeling in late Nov /early Dec., nothing beats going on a Disney Cruise during the holidays.

The ship is absolutely gorgeous, the atrium is breathtaking especially at night with the tree lit up and all the garland lit up. Loved Mrs. Claus reading to the kids and the entertainment CMs singing standing on the staircase. The gingerbread house, decorations in the shops and restaurants and the ship was only about half full the first week in december last year.

The water was a little cold at Castaway but I got used to it, it was nice becaus eit was kinda cold no one else was going far out into the snorkel lagoon and a s result we had it all to ourselves to the point that huge schools of fish were following us everywhere, I have some great pictures looking into the water surrounded by fish, it was pretty cool.:mickey: