PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on POP--what do u think?

nicjohn3
07-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Stayed at POR and loved it, but read a little about POP. I know it is a down grade from POR, but maybe interested in saving some $. What do you think about POP. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated--Thanks.

Lorraine444
07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
If your not the type of person that needs it all, it's great! It's just a room with a comfy bed nothing special.
Lots of pools, I enjoyed the food court.
I always stay @ the values, I go to Disney for the parks, not the hotels....
If you end up staying @ POP check out the squirrels living in the palm tree next to the outdoor bar. You can hand feed them, if the bartender doesn't feed them 1st. The squirrels wait for them to be fed. When I was there last year there was babies that would only crawl 1/2 way down the tree. Oh, they were sooo cute.

faline
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
We spent two nights at Pop last year and enjoyed our stay there. The only downside for us was that we found the beds to be a bit on the small side.

EpcotNut
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
IMO - a Moderate Resort at a Value price! Love it!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
If your not the type of person that needs it all, it's great! It's just a room with a comfy bed nothing special.
Lots of pools, I enjoyed the food court.
I always stay @ the values, I go to Disney for the parks, not the hotels....
If you end up staying @ POP check out the squirrels living in the palm tree next to the outdoor bar. You can hand feed them, if the bartender doesn't feed them 1st. The squirrels wait for them to be fed. When I was there last year there was babies that would only crawl 1/2 way down the tree. Oh, they were sooo cute.

:) We have not stayed at Pop before, but agree that the values are great if you intend to spend most of your day in the parks....we stayed at a moderate last time but felt the extra cost was not worth it.

disneymom15
07-14-2008, 11:09 AM
As I've stated in many POP questions, It's my value resort of choice. I've stayed at all 4 values and POP is always my first choice. We're usually in the parks for most of the day and feel the money saved can be used in other ways. I don't think you'll regret staying there.

bruin1344
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
POP beats an average non-disney hotel, i enjoyed staying there, my only negatives about it are the slightly smaller beds, longer bus lines, and tends to be louder outside the room

Dawnya
07-14-2008, 01:57 PM
We usually stay at POR, but over the new year when we were there, we stayed at POP and we didn't like it too much. It just didn't feel like Disney to us. We have stayed at the All Star Sports and Music before and enjoyed it, but we just didn't care for POP.

Disneypixie513
07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
We stayed at POP in 2006 and loved it! We'll be staying there in December.
They had nice rooms, good food court(Our favorite out of all the resorts we've stayed at), and we had good bus service.
I highly recommend it! :number1:

IloveDisney71
07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I've stayed at values, a moderate, and a deluxe and would say that if you spend most of your days in the parks then a value is a good option. I like the values and have stayed at POP twice. I stayed in the summer one year and they seemed to be having trouble with the buses not running often enough. There always seemed to be huge lines at the MK stop. BUT I stayed there in February and we didn't have any trouble with the buses. The rooms are clean but nothing fancy. The food court offered a wide selection of foods. We never used the pools so I have no opinion of them.

Eeyore's My Favorite
07-14-2008, 10:19 PM
POP gets a big thumbs down from DH & I. We've stayed there 2 times and the last time was September 2007 - it was the most unmagical experience we have ever had staying on Disney property. Keep in mind that POP is the largest of the values & is always packed. Our experience was one with rude, unruley, unsupervised kids running up & down the halls after 10pm at night, rude guests, a food court that was so packed no matter what time we went that you had to be a table vulture to get a seat. The buses were so packed, sometimes you waited 2 or 3 buses before you could get one standing room only to a park.

We chose to try ASMu again this past January & it was great!! It's now our value of choice. It's much smaller, has recently been refurbished (POP's looking pretty run down in the rooms), the food court was great - no issues with the buses (we only shared 1x to AK) and our standard room was much closer to everything and much nicer than the preferred room we paid for @ POP.

So if you're looking for peace & quiet at night when you come back from a park, don't choose POP - it might be after midnight before the resort calms down.

JMHO.................:mickey:

bjs6
07-14-2008, 11:05 PM
My wife and I just stayed at Pop Century in June. I went to Orlando for a seminar and my wife and I decided to stay two extras night for a WDW fix. As we only had two nights (three days) we knew we wouldn't spend too much time outside the parks. Pop was a good choice for such a short trip. The amount we saved by staying at Pop instead of a moderate was worth it for us. The beds and rooms were smaller than the moderates but it was fine a short trip. For a longer trip with the whole family, we would prefer the moderates.

Marceline
07-14-2008, 11:43 PM
My family's honest opinion of Pop is not great. I booked it trying to be frugal and ended up with a grumpy husband. He felt like we were at a Disneyfied Motel-6. Neither of us enjoyed the small beds, the people hanging out and smoking on the walkways, the loud kids at the pool all hours of the night, or the pushy people at the food court.
The theming was neat in my eyes, but a bit over the top for my hubby. The CM's were great and the arcade was fun for my daughter. But it just wasn't the relaxing respite from the parks that we were looking for. We ended up moving resorts mid-trip. The extra money was worth it for a happy hubby and peace of mind.

I guess it all depends what your looking for in your Disney stay. We like to take advantage of resort amenities, and at Pop we missed bike and boat rentals and table service choices.

Value might be a savings but real value is a subjective matter determined by your needs and desires. However at Disney you always get what you pay for.

BigRedDad
07-15-2008, 08:05 AM
As far as resorts go, you have to determine what you are going to WDW to do. The atmosphere in many resorts is incredible and makes you want to enjoy the resorts instead of going to the parks on some days. Other resorts are a place to sleep with a little bit of scenery.

My intention when I went to POP back in April was that it was a place to sleep and shower. I was very surprised at how nice it was and what was offered. The rooms are cramped and I would not want to have to spend too much time in one. They are perfectly designed for their purpose. The amenities at the resort add to the fun. The pools are nice and refreshing for afternoon/evening swims. I would not skip a day at a park to sit around POP. On the other hand, I could spend several days relaxing around the Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk, Y&B Club, and Wilderness Lodge.

Young@Heart
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
We love POP! It's got a great Disney feel (in our opinions) and we actually chose it for our family of 5 (2 rooms) over POR. We've stayed at others resorts, but chose POP in 2006, and DC loved it so much, it's the only resort they wanted to stay at this trip.

Of course, we're not a family who spends much time at our resort. If we did, I suppose it could get cramped. But as it is, DC are usually begging us to spend a little more time there so they can use the pool.

Bethanymouse
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
We love the POP resort. It has a disney feel for a low dollar amount. We used to stay at the Polynesian with the entire family, but when my DF and I started traveling alone we opted for the POP and we havent been disappointed. The food court offers a good selection and is very nice inside. The shop is great, offering disney merchandise and all those odds and ends you may have forgotten. The lobby is one of my favorite spots in the resort. It showcases memorbilia from the various decades. Lots of fun to check out. We dont find any problems with waiting for buses either. I think that you will be happy with the POP!

EvE2008
07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I spent my 30th at POP and I can say that I LOVED IT. You can't go wrong; it's bright, it's fun, and it'll make you feel like a kid again...I know I did. ;)

Gayle
07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
We stayed at the POP for the first time in May. Our first choice will always be WL. But I have to say we enjoyed it very much. I think alot of bang for the buck if it means be able to do disney. Food court will be busy between 7-9 beds a bit on the hard side would be my only complaints. But if it means being able to go to disney we will for sure pick the POP again.:mickey:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-15-2008, 09:55 PM
We loved POP.

We go to Disney for the Parks... and we ae not high maintenance by ANY means...and hey... no one comes into my house and picks up and makes my bed while I am at work all day.. How nice is it... that they do it for you while you are on vacation!

KAJUNKING
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
we are doing the opposite this year we usually stay at a value (pop is our favorite) and this year we are staying at por because there is 5 of us, we love pop and if it could accommodate 5 people we would be staying there again as pp have stated we go to Disney for the parks so we spend very little time at the resort, i think you will be happy at pop

JerseyDad
07-17-2008, 10:00 AM
.....we stayed at POP during our first trip to WDW in 2004....and from there on...we were hooked. It's a great mix of Value and Disney magic. We've always had a great experience there. The food court has many great selections....and yes....it can become busy at times. But the way I see it is..."it's a little more busy because I'm in there too"....and, everyone else that's in there is equally looking for an enjoyable meal experience. So I just take it as it comes. (and...we usually don't eat any meal in there other than breakfast...whic is usually pretty early)

We always stay in the 60's Buildings....and the convenience to the pool, food court / gift shoppe and transportation can't be any better. :thumbsup: