PDA

View Full Version : After "Year(s) Of A Million Dreams", then what?

Marker
07-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Any word on what the next promotional theme will be?

big blue and hairy
07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Ummmm....A Decade of a Billion Dreams?

:sulley:

Minnie Imagineer
07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I heard someone on another thread saying it would be where Disney urges you to come for special events (ie birthdays, anniversarys)

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
07-14-2008, 09:31 AM
I think they should just ditch the title and make the Dream Squad a permanent fixture. I think they can afford the prizes. ;)

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2008, 10:44 AM
I think they should just ditch the title and make the Dream Squad a permanent fixture. I think they can afford the prizes. ;)

:party: Sounds good to me

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-14-2008, 01:37 PM

They could just say Disney World is a place where Dreams Come True!

lockedoutlogic
07-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I think it's

"Year of a million foreclosures".....

seriously....they used to only do these "things" every five or so years.....but i think they mistakenly blamed part of their downturn in 01-02 on the lack of a "celebration" following the 2000 one.....

it's just the economy (stupid...)....they're successful if people are spending disposable income....not if they don't.....

I would think it might be a year or two before the next one.....

i also believe they missed a good one with allowing EPCOT's 25 to pass without a mention.....

but who knows.....it will be something tied into the bibbidi bobbiti boutique rolling out soon.....

"year of a million extensions"?

Dr_Nigel_C
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Although I'd love for them to take a break from the "celebrations" (can't we just enjoy Disney World for what it is?) - I've also read that the next theme will be about celebrating birthdays/anniversaries/honeymoons/etc.

PirateLover
07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Although I'd love for them to take a break from the "celebrations" (can't we just enjoy Disney World for what it is?) - I've also read that the next theme will be about celebrating birthdays/anniversaries/honeymoons/etc.
We are going to be on our honeymoon in 2010. I wonder what the promotion will entail exactly, and if we'll miss out on it.

Polynesian Dweller
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I think it's

i also believe they missed a good one with allowing EPCOT's 25 to pass without a mention.....

Got to really agree with you on that one. Just a small ceremony I believe but it wasn't enough. I'd rather they do that kind of celebration.

I too would like to see them not promote every year. It somehow becomes less special if there is always something like this going on.

Dr_Nigel_C
07-14-2008, 10:45 PM
It somehow becomes less special if there is always something like this going on.

Reminds me of a line from the Incredibles: "..when everyone is special, no one is".

Ok, I paraphrased, but you get the point...

I don't go down there because there's some "theme" or "celebration" or even giveaways -- I like DIsney World because it's Disney World.

Polynesian Dweller
07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I don't go down there because there's some "theme" or "celebration" or even giveaways -- I like DIsney World because it's Disney World.
Us as well. Never have changed plans to take advantage of a theme.

Deesdisney
07-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I would rather see a really good discount on tickets or something. (Of course I am saying this because I have not gotten anything from this Theme.)

lockedoutlogic
07-15-2008, 07:50 AM

that's a silly idea.....

people won't go to disneyworld for a birthday if they weren't already going at some point anyway.....

same for honeymoons. anniversarys...etc....

it's not as though anyone is going to say "i was going to maui....but since there's the "year of a million promotions" going on.....then we'll go to disneyworld"....

this will be silly if they do it.....but to be clear.....i don't really think the vast majority of travelers care anyway....they either have the cash and want to go....or they don't....

pretty simple...

big blue and hairy
07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
This stuff must work with somebody, or they wouldn't spend the money on it. Obviously, we are not part of the group on whom it works.

If you're going to do a celebration (and I think they've become addicted), getting people to spend a special occasion at WDW is as good as any, I guess. I agree with most everyone else, though, I go when I can go, regardless of what they are celebrating.

BTW, they did have a small ceremony for Epcot 25, but really, you'd almost have to have stumbled upon it. I would have like to have seen something more for Epcot, but hey, they might have made the ball pink!:D

:sulley:

BMan62
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM
.....i don't really think the vast majority of travelers care anyway....they either have the cash and want to go....or they don't....

pretty simple...

True, the vast majority will not change their plans, and that is not what these promotions are about...These promotions are to get those in the minority that have yet to make up their minds on where to go on vacation. Maybe they have two or three destinations in mind and just need that one little push in the right direction to get them to choose a Disney destination...

In all honesty, though, I agree with those posters who believe it's time to have the "Year (or two) Without A (domestic) Promotion"

There is a huge downturn in disposable income in the US with the 'not-recession' economy and it is probably not going to help domestic travel, to Disney parks, to have promotions that will temp those who are already in dire straights, or close to it, to spend even more money that they don't have.

IF they insist on some type of promotion, maybe they should think about a non-domestic promotion only. Not that the parks aren't getting their share of international guests, my thought is that Disney can keep rooms filled by making offers that would bring Euros/Yen/Rubles/Bhat/etc. into this country. Keeps their bottom line in the black and helps strengthen our economy by keeping jobs. (Yeah, I know that last part is a stretch...)

Crow
07-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I would rather see a really good discount on tickets or something. (Of course I am saying this because I have not gotten anything from this Theme.)

that would b a good promotion...but I think they will only go up even w the economy.
id like the year of a million rehabs/new rides

bmj721
07-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Carrying on with this same theme, how about "The Year of a Million Discounts"? For every nine nights' stay, the tenth night is free. Hmmm. (some restrictions apply):
:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
07-16-2008, 01:43 AM
I like the idea of Year of a Million Dreams, and am very happy we're going before it's over. It was announced just days after we returned from our last trip.

However, I don't need a promotion-I would love to go to WDW every year if I could. Just being there is a celebration to me. :cloud9:

lockedoutlogic
07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I like the idea of Year of a Million Dreams, and am very happy we're going before it's over. It was announced just days after we returned from our last trip.

However, I don't need a promotion-I would love to go to WDW every year if I could. Just being there is a celebration to me. :cloud9:

it's been so long since there hasn't been one of these "things" going on....

It would be nice to go to a park without banners and signs and "special" parades everywhere.....

that's just my opinion

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM

Ditto that idea! Even though the odds of winning are slim, it's fun to dream about. :cloud9: And isn't that what Disney is all about . . .DREAMS!

caryrae
07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
How about a "come be a kid again" or "come feel like a kid again" celebration. Where adult park passes cost the same as a child park pass. Disney World, a place where adults can act like kids.

MickeyChick
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd like the Year-Where-We-Don't-Refurb-the -stuff-you're-psyched-for-while-you're-here.

(Just found out there will be no Spectromagic next month while I'm there)

How about Return to the Golden Era, where I can ride Horizons; the original Imagination; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...

DisneyFanaticDargon
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Didn't they already push the whole "come to Disney for a special personal event" thing with the Magical Gatherings promotion between 100 Years of Magic and Happiest Celebration on Earth? I agree, it's time to kill the promotion. Having been working for Disney during both the Happiest Celebration on Earth and the Year of a Million Dreams, most guests don't have a clue it's going on at all and if they do, they certainly don't know what it entails.

VolMickey
07-20-2008, 11:48 AM
How about a "come be a kid again" or "come feel like a kid again" celebration. Where adult park passes cost the same as a child park pass. Disney World, a place where adults can act like kids.

I'm on board with this one. With the economy slow and this uninspiring election cycle coming around, I think it would resonate with people:

Walt Disney World -- Come feel like a kid again!

PSU Tim
07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I also heard that no matter what they will still create magical moments via the dream squad (if that is what it is called):confused:

Dr_Nigel_C
07-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I also heard that no matter what they will still create magical moments via the dream squad (if that is what it is called):confused:

For as much as I like that idea, I wish it weren't so apparent. They hype it up, then folks are disappointed when they don't get anything.

The solution? Put things back the way they were. Let magical moments just happen naturally. Make them special. Make trips special -- don't force a "theme" or a "celebration" every year.

I also agree that most "normal" travelers don't know (and don't care) what the current "theme" is -- they see it on TV (they get the itch, they plan, then they go) -- but they don't remember the name of the celebration or why it's even happening.

DestinationWDW
07-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I TOTALLY love CAREYRAE's suggestion - adults play at kid prices!:thumbsup: Especially since 2 of our kids (13 and 10) are kids and we pay the adult price for each....:secret:

Ian
07-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Huh ... guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I kinda like the special events/celebrations.

I loved the millennium celebration and I've actually really enjoyed the YoaMD, too. Although I'm sure that's because we won the night in the Castle. Had I won nothing, I doubt I'd be as fond of it.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they did something a little low-key between now and 2011, when MK celebrates it's 40th birthday.

Marker
07-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Huh ... guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I kinda like the special events/celebrations.

I loved the millennium celebration and I've actually really enjoyed the YoaMD, too. Although I'm sure that's because we won the night in the Castle. Had I won nothing, I doubt I'd be as fond of it.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they did something a little low-key between now and 2011, when MK celebrates it's 40th birthday.

Ian, I'm with you on this one. I like the celebrations. Heck, I even got a kick out of the giant birthday cake. Sure, it was kind of gawdy looking, but it was something special.

For the comments about thinking they overdo the celebrations, and would like to see them go without one for a while... Remember, not everyone is blessed with the opportunity to return as often as many of us do. To most people their trip my be their one and only, or at least one for a long time. They don't know there is some sort of celebration going on "all the time", they only know there was one going on during their visit, and it was cool.

As for the Year(s) Of A Million Dreams, I've loved this theme. I haven't even won anything, but I think it was really a cool thing. I have seen others who have won, and seen the joy in their faces. Personally, I'd love to see them continue with the Dreams idea even if they move to another marketing theme.

Goofster
07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
My favorite has been the Millenium Celebration. I loved that celebration and, to me, it seems like WDW hasn't been the same since then. I did like 100 years of Magic and Happiest Celebration. I think at this point, WDW should take a break until Epcot's 30th rolls around.

Mousemates
07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I too like the promotions...thou all we have taken away from the miilion dream giveaway was one lowly creamslush in Epcot....but the hope of a night in the castle burns bright in my DD eyes.

Ian
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Heck, I even got a kick out of the giant birthday cake.Ha! I knew there was someone out there besides me who liked the giant birthday cake!

My favorite has been the Millenium Celebration.Mine, too! :thumbsup:

Catzle
07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't really like the YOMD. Not because we didn't win anything in 20 days we were there in two different trips but because like someone said it gets your hopes up and than you never win a single thing or even see the dream team.
We saw the dream team once and walked by them at the entrance to bugs life up in the front and than they started handing out the fast passes I turned around and asked if our family could get those and they said no you weren't here at the dream moment. I thought that was not nice. I would rather not have any kind of promotion that says you could win this or that nothing to expect or wish you could of won.

luvdiznee
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
How bout no specific promotion and just give us the Resort Specific mugs back. :secret:Just had enough of those same ole mugs. Or how bout "A Year of a Million Changes". :mickey:

ccp1
07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
I always thought the reasoning behind the celebrations was to put out a new pin set.

TinkRocks
08-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I agree that there is something special about the celebrations / special themes, but I also agree that celebration after celebration is a little much. Celebrations should be like they used to be - every few years or park specific.

Ongoing celebrations negate each other and become the norm. People would expect a celebration and, therefore, would cost Disney more $ on an annual basis.

I understand that not everyone gets to experience WDW as often as others, but Disney can do simple things like putting a Disney themed gift basket in their room (if they're staying at a WDW resort).

I've been to the WDW during the YoMD more days than I care to count and have not once seen a Dream Team... LOL. Part of me thinks the idea is great that Disney is 'giving away' stuff, but part of me feels as though Disney are missing the mark and not rewarding the repeat guests who are returning to WDW again and again.

As for a 'celebration' in 2009 - why not just focus on Disney Hollywood Studios? The park turns 20 on May 1... On the other hand, it would be sad that Epcot was overlooked for the park's 25th anniversary.

JPL
08-19-2008, 09:14 PM
The information I just received is the next celebration is going to be Magical Celebrations where they encourage people to come celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occaisions. It is suppose to be similar to the Magical Gatherings promotion.
This is still not official but several sources have said they were filming promotional videos with this theme.

kellyisbusy
08-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I agree that there is something special about the celebrations / special themes, but I also agree that celebration after celebration is a little much. Celebrations should be like they used to be - every few years or park specific.

Ongoing celebrations negate each other and become the norm. People would expect a celebration and, therefore, would cost Disney more $ on an annual basis.

I understand that not everyone gets to experience WDW as often as others, but Disney can do simple things like putting a Disney themed gift basket in their room (if they're staying at a WDW resort).

I've been to the WDW during the YoMD more days than I care to count and have not once seen a Dream Team... LOL. Part of me thinks the idea is great that Disney is 'giving away' stuff, but part of me feels as though Disney are missing the mark and not rewarding the repeat guests who are returning to WDW again and again.

As for a 'celebration' in 2009 - why not just focus on Disney Hollywood Studios? The park turns 20 on May 1... On the other hand, it would be sad that Epcot was overlooked for the park's 25th anniversary.

I totally agree. How about giving repeat visitors a break once in a while or a little something special for visiting so often.

Sharon1026
08-31-2008, 09:00 AM
How about "year of a million air conditioners" They could keep the parks at a cool 72 degrees all summer ! :stitch: :stitch2:

The Joker
08-31-2008, 09:35 AM
How about The-Year-They-Decided-To-Keep-The-AC-And-CW-Open-Because-They-Realized-They-Alienated-Their -Most-Loyal-Guests-When-They-Leased-The-DTD-Land-To-The-Highest-Bidder?

MushuGrl
09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Am I the only one that actually forgets about the YOMD when I get there? Seriously. I went to DL AND WDW during this promotion and saw ONE dream team member on both trips. I forgot about it until I got home and realized "huh, didn't win anything." (Which is actually a good thing - I was having too much fun to notice!)

However, I gotta say I love the idea of keeping the Dream Team for magical moments. Even if it never happens to me, it's cool that it happens to SOMEBODY. :)