PDA

View Full Version : Febrile Seizures

mjaclyn
07-13-2008, 07:54 PM
My family and I were vacationing last week and my DD 20 months had her first (and hopefully last) febrile seizure. We had been out during the day at the beach and shopping, and I noticed that when we returned she felt warm. I'd forgotten to bring her thermometer so I thought we could give her a bath, let her take a short nap before dinner and give her some tylenol afterwards. Around 6:20 I felt her head again and seemed hotter so I woke her up and gave her the medicine. About 20 minutes later I woke her up and brought her downstairs for dinner...but she didn't seem like herself. At first I thought she was groggy because she was still tired, but she had a glazed look and she wouldn't respond to anything. She was also very limp. I gave her to my husband and she started to twitch and her eyes were rolling back. We rushed her upstairs and I yelled for someone to call 911. Even after the paramedics evaluated her and we arrived at the hospital she was still pretty unresponsive although she had started to look around and reach out to me with her hands. As time went on she began to act much more like herself and we were eventually discharged with instructions to give her motrin or tylenol to keep the fever down. That was last Wednesday night and she still has a low grade fever (about 100). If the fever doesn't go away by tomorrow I'm going to take her in to see my pediatrician. Has anyone ever had an experience with Febrile Seizures? I was told that they seem much scarier than they actually are and are pretty common among toddlers when their temperature rises rapidly. Everyone at the hospital and even my pediatrician seemed very casual about the whole situation and not worried at all. Are they right about this? It just seems so odd to think of a baby having a seizure as 'common'...do I have anything to worry about?

TINKERBELL_82
07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Poor baby! You must have been terrified! I'm so sorry about her seizure and that she wasn't feeling well. :ill:

I don't have any experience with this, but hopefully some who does will come along soon.

Here's some pixie dust for your dd :tink:

SBETigg
07-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know. My sister, thirteen years younger, had seizures and it was always a scary big deal to us and never played down by medical staff. I think anything that happens with your child is scary and should be treated with serious interest, not casual disregard. I wish you well and I'm sure that the medical attitude should give you a reason not to worry-- but how could you not? Of course, you are concerned. Now that her fever is down and she is not having problems, I think you are right to try to stay calm and not expect anything worse, but :hug: that's so hard on a mom.

mrsgaribaldi
07-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm an ER nurse and they are very common in children. I know it's scary anyway. It doesn't mean she will have seizures as an adult. You don't have anything to worry about. The next time she has a fever just give her Tylenol and Advil, you can give her both at the same time, a lukewarm bath, light clothing, don't bundle her up with a fever. It may happen again just so you are ready.
After a seizure the person is groggy and not their usual self, that's normal too. If she has another, just make sure there is nothing around that can hurt her and call 911. I hope she's feeling better and never has another seizure :pixie::pixie::pixie:

crazypoohbear
07-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I have no advice, I just wanted to let you know that I understand how scary it is for all of you.
As stated previously give her both tylenol and advil/motrin consistently whenever she gets fevers.

medic9016
07-13-2008, 09:14 PM
My dd had one at 18 months old and never again. It is caused by a sudden spike in the child's temp. It is very scary for the parents, but I'm sure she will be fine.
I have responded to several in 12 years in the Fire EMS services. They are a whole different thing than seizure disorders. Febrile seizures are very common. You will not get too many folks in the medical field worked up over a febrile seizure.

RedSoxFan
07-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I have never heard of these seizures. I'm sorry you had to go through with this with your DD and hope you don't have to go through it again.

Jeri
07-13-2008, 09:35 PM
My oldest son had one when he was 15 months old. (he is 11 now). I was home alone with him and it was right after a nap. I called my husband at work screaming and crying and told him he was dying. It was real quick and then he was fine. I called our Dr and she said to take him to the hospital.

We were told it was a viris that caused the fever and that it most likely wouldn't happen again. I was told they are the body's way of protecting the brain from such a high fever. My son is bad with fevers he goes from normal to 104 very fast. I don't think in his eleven years he has ever ran a low grade temp. When he gets sick we start tylenol and then motrin every 4 hours so it never wears off. The highest his temp has been here at home since then was 104.7 and then we were on our way to Childrens Hospital with a viris again.

I have to say after many years of this I have learned to calm down and I don't even call the Dr or take him in untill we hit 104.5.

Good luck, I know how scary it can be.

Jen C.
07-13-2008, 09:59 PM
My DD, now 28 months, had one at 13 months. It was just as you described yours, and certainly terrifying. She has never had one since, although she has run fevers since. :ill: I try to be good at alternating the Tylenol and Motrin to head off any future recurrences, but I can't say I have caught it every time, but so far, so good.
Try not to let it scare you too much. Although recurrences are common, there are just as many kiddos who have just one...and that's plenty enough!

Flower
07-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I just wanted to give you a :hug:!

I have no experience with them, but several of my friends children have had them and it is very scary. It is very common and they are often called Fever Seizures. You did all of the right things to prevent it, bathing,etc. but there is nothing more you could have done.

tinksmom02
07-13-2008, 11:04 PM
My DD had one at 14 months, in my DH's car, actually on the way home from the pharmacy, picking up antibiotics for an ear infection. Her temp was normal at the dr's office an hour earlier, but then suddenly spiked (I think it was 104.7 when the paramedics arrived). I was at work when it happened but DH said she stopped breathing, eyes rolled back, turned blue, etc. He said it was a few minutes...he drove onto someone's lawn and they called 911. I met them at the hospital, by then the seizure was over and she was beginning to be responsive.

Our dr. said we need to keep an eye on her when she got fevers, as she was more prone to them, now that's she's had one. But, knock wood, it was just that one. Her temp usually runs low, so we know if she starts to get up into 99-100 range that something's wrong and get the Tylenol/Motrin into her ASAP.

I think it is pretty common, but it's not something I'd heard of prior to hers. Since then I've read magazine articles about them. It is definitely scary. I hope your little one is doing better!

azdisneymom
07-14-2008, 01:16 AM
My ds had a febrile seizure at 3 years old. We had just gotten back from the Drs office and gotten him back in bed. Boy was it scary. 911 took him to the hospital. He was just so sick from a virus. He never ever had another seizure. As he got older if he spiked a high fever he would be almost incoherent, not knowing where he was. We learned real quick to start Motrin as soon as he hit 101 and keep the temp. down.

He is an adult now and has no problem with fevers at all. Thank goodness. But I can still tell you every detail about that day.

You know your child better than anyone else. You will learn to read when they are getting sick. Control the fever and everything will be OK. Kids have febrile seizures, they get groggy afterwards and they recover. Best wishes and some pixie dust for those frazzled nerves you are bound to have. :pixie:

Katmegali
07-14-2008, 03:14 AM
:thedolls: They are scary.

My dd had one at 13 months. She is now 18 months and hasn't had one since.

The doctor said it was from the dramatic change in temperture. She was running a tem and had just given her some med. :ill:Dh was holding her and she went unresponsive and started glazing. We were staying at a hotel next to a hospital and dh ran from our room all the way there. They took her right back and gave her some meds to get her out of it. SHe started back normal within hour. :)

They did keep her in for a few days because I have seizures and they wanted to make sure it was only a febile seziure.

Scared us to death.

My prays are with you

RenDuran
07-14-2008, 06:55 AM
When my husband was a child, he had a febrile seizure. Now every time one of my kids gets a fever, my MIL thinks they're going to have a seizure. Fortunately, even with some very high fevers, they haven't.

I feel for you. I understand they can be really scary! But from everything I've read, they are very common and nothing to be overly concerned about. I hope your daughter doesn't scare you like that again!

Tinksalot
07-14-2008, 08:16 AM
I had them as a baby and toddler and I eventually outgrew them. Luckily none of my children ever had them.

tinkerbellybutton
07-14-2008, 08:38 AM
First of al :hug: My DD had one at 17 months, I was alone with her and driving at the time and she started making funny noises. I was frightened beyond belief. She is now an adult and has never had another, so hopefully the same will hold true for you. :pixie:

Mickey'sGirl
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
:hug: I know it's very scary.

Both of our son's have had febrile seizures.

DS10 has outgrown them, and hopefully, DS4 has too.

Stephanie has great advice....the only thing that I would add is that you should not hesitate to medicate. Our oldest son had one of his seizures when his temp was only 99. Our doctor told us that 1tsp of Tylenol will not do him any harm, so if he is warm/sickly at all, give it to him. The doctors always told us to start with Tylenol, then half an hour later use the Advil/Motrin. Then repeat at full doses until the fever passes.

mjaclyn
07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice. It really helps to know that I'm not alone in this and that it has happened to other people. Although DD is feeling better we're going to take her to the pediatrician tomorrow because whatever this virus is, it's still holding on. It was last Wednesday that she first had a temp and the seizure and she still has a low (99.6) temp today plus a runny nose & coughing (new symptoms). I hope she gets better soon and I really appreciate all the advice and support. Thank you!

Mickey'sGirl
07-15-2008, 08:22 AM
:hug: and :pixie: I hope your DD feels better soon! I'm glad you are taking her back to the doctor, just to see what's going on.

EpcotChic23
07-16-2008, 09:35 AM
My brother had them when he was a baby, the exact same thing happend to him maybe 3 times. He was in the hospital for a while for observation. He was on meds to prevent to he was around 10 I would guess. He is now 22 and has not had anything like that. He had them because he had a extremly high fever. I hope all is well with her. I know it is scary.

HollyB
07-21-2008, 02:30 AM
I apparently had one when I was two. My daughter had one in the car when she was 18 months old and a second one a few months later. The one in the car was the most scared I'd ever been. She let out a high pitched scream, her eyes rolled back in her head, and she started twitching. We were coming home from vacation. We were near home, fortunately and my DH drove the wrong way up a one way street to the ambulance station where she was transported to the hospital.

After the second one, they told us to layer the Motrin/Tylenol so the medicine never wore off. We did this every time she had even a low grade fever. Now she hardly ever gets sick.

Good luck. Once is enough to witness that.