PDA

View Full Version : Packing questions??

tink03
07-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I am getting soo excited for our upcoming trip. I am on Intercot everyday now!! (who isnt?)
Anyway, I started to pick up small things like toilety stuff and small things for my DS'S. I am surprising them this year so I am making them each a goodie backpack to take on the plane (all filled with Disney things of course). How many outfits do you bring for yourselfs and kids and husbands? We are going for 11 days this year and I always feel like I take so much but now I extended our trip but still dont want to take too much? Traveling will be me, DH,2 DS'S and my parents. Any ideas would be appreciated!!

BronxTigger
07-13-2008, 05:33 PM
I would only pack about 5-6 outfits per person. Try to pack something for pants/skirts that goes with any color (like khaki or denim) and hopefully you can wear some of the bottoms more than once. Plan to do laundry one afternoon in the middle of your trip while you take a "rest day" by the pool and doing non-park things.

The airlines are charging so much for 2 bags or overweight bags that packing for 11 days without planning to do laundry will probably put you over the limit.

Nurse Kim
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
When my kids and I went in March we way overpacked. I noticed the kids didn't wear everything we took. I had to do laundry because they wanted to wear something that they had worn earlier in the week. So this time we are packing for 5 or 6 days as was suggested for you because we will be there
11 days as well.

VolMickey
07-13-2008, 06:01 PM
The idea of washing while there for longer periods makes so much sense. Good idea to share.:thumbsup:

RALPH
07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
DW gets up early and kindly does our family laundry so we can minimize the amount of clothing to take. She packs all the necessary laundry stuff as WDW charges way too much, and she has certain product preferences.

SFTrny
07-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I agree. Pack for 5-6 days and plan on 1 or 2 laundry runs...depending on the length of the stay.

#1disneyfan
07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
When we hit Disney for longer trips, we tend to do some wash while there. This year we are doing the land/sea package with 2 nights added on to the beginning of our land trip. With new airline regulations, and frankly lack of clothing for myself, I plan on doing wash the day before we board the ship.

I have acquired a few single load pouches of detergent that I plan to take with me. I also plan on doing that laundry in the morning, day before we leave. I never dry any tops in the dryer, so this will leave me time for them to dry.

I recommend for an 11 day trip, about 5 outfits each with some being interchangeable.

Have a great trip! And happy packing!

luvmyboys4ever
07-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I like to pack as light as possible....now...after a few overpackings! I usually pack enough shirts for the trip(I like for us to wear shirts that match the park we are touring.) I only pack about 3 pairs shorts each, 1 pair of pants each, 1 sweatshirt each, 4 undergarments each, some socks for my husband, 2 bathingsuits each and an extra pair of shoes each. My husband is a night owl, so he'll do laundry while we relax at night(he's a keeper:prince:) For our November trip, I plan on bringing everything we need in carry-ons ....well, maybe 1 checked bag:fingers:.

jonahbear2006
07-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I agree with washing stuff while you are there. I hate over packing, you always end up with outfits you dont like or really want to wear. I would pack 4 outifts and one extra outfit carried onto the plane in case of an accident, then just wash after the last outfit is dirty. They will have one outfit on to get there, so that is actually 6 outfits total. If you wash them then they will have on the last clean outfit the day they go home. Or you could wash them all at Disney and arrive with clean outfits at home, that is always nice, too, unpack into the drawers. I would bring extra underwear though. Guys can be rough on underwear at times. Have a great trip.

RALPH
07-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Don't forget, over packing can now cost you when you fly!

mouseketeer mom
07-14-2008, 07:05 AM
I have big overpacking problems. We just returned from a 8 day trip to Colorado and I didn't use 1/2 of what I packed, for me or the kids. I found myself wearing my 2 favorite shorts and my fave pair of jeans over and over with different tops. I'm really going to try so very hard to remember this and pack lightly for our August WDW trip. Also, I find that returning home with all of those clothes, plus soveiniers etc..is overwhelming. I do need to pack just a little extra for my son who tends to get dirty very easily..one Mickey Ice cream bar and we need a new shirt!!

teambricker04
07-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree with 5-6 outfits... unless you have messy little kids. Our 1yo was a MESS at WDW in May so we changed him at least once a day. Our 3yo got along fine in one outfit a day. We were there for 13 days and I did laundry once... I did over pack a bit, but we used the travel space save bags and that helped lighten our load.

One thing I did over pack... SHOES! Especially for myself. We are doing a quick trip this weekend and I am only wearing my Keen sandals as I wore them in May every day.

SFTrny
07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
We always pack 2 pair of shoes per person. I wouldn't pack more unless you are planning a dressy dinner like V&A's.

thrillme
07-14-2008, 12:29 PM
A couple of years ago I discovered the great new invention that Disney resorts have...WASHING MACHINES...whoo :number1:.

Now for those lengthy trips I pack 5-6 outfits and a swimsuit and a small package of soap...I try to make the outfits those type that can all be thrown in one load.

I wash about halfway through and then I was again the last night there just before bed. When I get home I just have to put stuff up rather than wash three or four loads.

luvdiznee
07-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I would definitely go with doing laundry while there, as well as the "2 day 1 pant rule" just being sure to bring enough tops to change those daily. Something we are doing this year also is leaving a shirt or 2 home since I ALWAYS buy a shirt for at least me and DD while there. I would only do this if you are sure you will be buying a new shirt. :mickey: