PDA

View Full Version : The Wilderness Cabins are Now Moderates?

frakers
07-13-2008, 03:01 PM
My SIL told me she read on another site that the Wilderness Cabins are being re-classified as a Moderate Resort. I looked it up and it's apparently true, (at least it continues to be reported on the other site that way). I haven't seen anyone here mention this so I'm a bit skeptical. However, from what I read, there is no plan to reduce the pricing on the WC's to reflect the pricing of the other Moderate resorts. That leaves me with a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone else heard anything about this?

2) If it's true, why bother calling the WC's a Moderate if the price is going to stay at at Deluxe level? :huh:

Mousemates
07-13-2008, 03:20 PM
:twocents:

Not sure about the reclassification...but I've always kind of considered the cabins to be akin to a moderate suite...i.e a two room space with a kitchen, but without a single queen sized bed (which apparently is the big room "differentiater" when going from moderate to deluxe).

brownie
07-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Don't the cabins sleep 6, while most current moderate rooms sleep 4 or 5? If that's the case, I'd expect there to be a price difference.

SBETigg
07-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I've always thought of them as in a class of their own. You can't really compare them to deluxe options. It's not only the price that makes a deluxe a deluxe. Maybe WDW feels they fit better with a moderate description considering what they offer? And they do sleep quite a few people, plus offer a kitchen and some other comforts of home, making them not quite like the other moderate options but with lots of justification for the higher price. It's a moderate price option compared to having to get two rooms to fit everyone in.

kakn7294
07-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I looked on Disney's official site, checking as if I were going to book a Cabin and they are definitely now in the moderate category but don't have a moderate price. I guess that I'd expect a price difference as well since the Cabins sleep 6 and have a kitchen, but $104 more than the moderate resorts for a night (for the same time I'm going in August) seems a bit much for a moderate price. A room in a Deluxe at AKL or WL is cheaper! To me, the Cabins should have always been their own category - they don't really fit anywhere.

frakers
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM
In thinking it over, it appears that when Disney did away with the "Home Away from Home" resort category, there was actually no place left to put the WC's that truly fits them since ALL the other spots that offer kitchens are now under the DVC heading. It left the WC's in a kind of resort category limbo. The campground/WC's should probably be in a category unto itself anyway since that entire area is different from any other resort/lodging available at WDW.

Figment!
07-13-2008, 09:05 PM
The Fort Wilderness Cabins are being moved from the "Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground" category to the "Moderate" category; however, it is a change in classification only.

At this time, the only effect this change will have on Guests is what category the resorts are labeled under in the reservation system.

The Fort Wilderness Campground remains in the "Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground" category.

The repositioning of the Fort Wilderness Cabins appears to only be aimed at increasing Guest awareness of the accommodation option by placing it a more recognizable category.

Additionally, when the new pool complex opens, the amenities between the Fort Wilderness Cabins and other "Moderate" category resorts be comparable.

wendy*darling
07-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I think the pricing is just about right, considering that the cabins sleep more people.

The All Star Family Suites are still in the Value category, even though they hover around double the price of a regular room in the Values (and higher than the price of most Moderates, for that matter).

I think the Fort Wilderness Cabins belong in the moderate category because FW, unlike the Deluxes, has limited food options, and a modest pool.

And I do agree, that by placing FW Cabins in the Moderate category, they become more visible to families considering a resort choice.