PDA

View Full Version : DLR Crowds in August

doodleboy
07-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I just read the post regarding crowds for summer at DLR, but was wondering how bad it really gets. I am looking at Aug. 11-14, which is Mon-Thur. Is is as bad as WDW during summer? Will I regret making this part of my California trip? Any input would be appreciated.

Tink&Goofy
07-14-2008, 10:27 PM
We have been to DL numerous times in August - usually a little later in the month, which is usually a great time. It may be slightly more crowded earlier in the month, but most importantly, you are avoiding the weekend! The summer weekends there get crazy crowded!! They get ALOT of local traffic! Going M-Th should be perfect! Enjoy!

Nekochan
07-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Glad to hear it - I'll be there the following week, and was also planning on monday to thursday visits.

doombuggy
07-17-2008, 12:49 PM
We have been to DL numerous times in August - usually a little later in the month, which is usually a great time. It may be slightly more crowded earlier in the month, but most importantly, you are avoiding the weekend! The summer weekends there get crazy crowded!! They get ALOT of local traffic! Going M-Th should be perfect! Enjoy!

I agree. We went in August 06, a week later than the op's posted date and it was fine...

MatterhornMiss
07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Will I regret making this part of my California trip?

How could you ever regret going to Disneyland? :mickey: DLR is pretty busy throughout the summer, since the kiddies don't go back to school until after Labor Day (Here in KY, school starts Aug 6!). But, I can see how later in the month, and during the week can be somewhat less busy, as non-Californian and college students are already back in school. After my first year as an AP holder, I never really went from mid June until the beginning of Sept, so I can't confirm how it has been lately. It looks like you are allowing yourself plenty of time, so no worries! Have a great trip!

Vito
07-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Mabye it's just when I've been there (1 full month at a time for each of the last 3 years - Aug/Sept 05, July 06, May/Jun 07), but DL always just seems more crowded than "summer WDW" (MK). Of course the MK has more room on pathways and stuff and is a bit more spread out, so that might help, but DL resort having just two parks can make for very crowded times.

I don't know how this summer has been crowd wise at DL, but the past two summers the park just seems to be swarming at certain times, and ok others. DCA never really has a problem, even if the lines for the e-tickets can get somewhat long getting around is ok.

However, even packed, DL is managable, of course be sure to use fastpasses and you can usually get around fine. However, before/during/after parades, fireworks, and Fantasmic it can be an absolute nightmare trying to navigate DL.

Here are some wait times from DL last week (Thurs, July 12th, at approx noon):

(times taken from "darkbeer's" photo updates)
Autopia: 25
BTMRR: 10
Buzz: 20
Indiana Jones Adv: 30
Roger Rabbit: 30
Space Mt: 45
Splash: 45
HM: 10
Nemo Subs: 60
Matterhorn: 20
Peter Pan: 60
PotC: 25

And here's Thursday, August 19th from last year ('07) at around 7pm:

Autopia: 40
BTMRR: 15
Buzz: 25
Indiana Jones Adv: 35
Roger Rabbit: 30
Space Mt: 30
Splash: 60
Nemo Subs: 75
Matterhorn: 15
Peter Pan: 40
PotC: 10

I'd say those are fairly typical summer numbers, give or take here and there for various reasons. The wait times never really seem to be ridiculous during "regular" summer days (obviously weekends are the worst), but like I said, the worst part is trying to get around during the Parade, Fireworks, and Fantasmic, which takes place around the Rivers of America as opposed to its own amphitheater like at WDW.

Besides that, I'd say you shouldn't expect any overwhelming crowds. Weekdays are far more manageable than weekends, but that's only based on my personal experience.