PDA

View Full Version : weirdest tasting food in WDW to you

jonahbear2006
07-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I think mine would be Boma's green beans. After using Garnier Fructis for so long, I tasted these green beans and felt like I swallowed conditioner. The combination of fruits in their marinade for their beans was a taste similar to the smell in my shampoo. YuCK!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-12-2008, 11:03 AM
:ack: I think the nastiest food we ever had at the world and probably also the weirdest was at ABC Commissary...we all had something different and it was all bad....we threw our stuff away......I know we had the cuban sandwich, fish and can't remember what else

MickeyChick
07-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Everything at Boma?

Seriously, even the apple crisp was bizarre.

The worst was the watermelon rind salad.

Goes4FastPass
07-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I guess someone should have explained

BOMA
is not Swahili for

IHOP

Goofeygal
07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I am sorry we have eaten at Boma several times and have never had anything bad.

jonahbear2006
07-12-2008, 01:09 PM
i love boma but i do agree that somethings are weird tasting, after a few times I get used to somethings and other things I never get used to them.

VolMickey
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Boma is awesome. Different? yes. Awesome? yes.

J9
07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Get ready to throw things at me....

Turkey Legs.

I think they taste like a weird combination of ham and plastic. (Neither of which I want to eat if I can help it!)

jonahbear2006
07-12-2008, 04:35 PM
haha, i prefer ham to plastic. just a personal opinion

lighteningqueen
07-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Boma Boma Boma Just plain nasty
San Angel Inn even nastier.

Sorry but neither one of these places have any quality to them. Just completely off the beaten path.

mom2morgan
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Honestly, I think I find all the "southern" cooking weird! LOL - things that are "supposed" to be sweet (in my limited experience) - like Iced tea - weren't ! My kids had to throw theirs out because here "iced tea" means a pop like confection made with sweetened syrup. Yours tastes like TEA, LOL. On the other hand, I found that a LOT of other things that I really wouldn't have thought would be sweet WERE! Like the corn bread - to me it was just horrible! We love our corn bread, but it is a pretty straightfoward dish, intended to be served like rolls as a side dish, and with only a bit of plain butter. The funniest "culture shock" moment was when my daughter helped herself to something on a buffet that she thought was ice cream...turned out to be some sort of "honey butter" intended to go ON the already over-sweet cornbread. But I can only imagine what the others in line thought of her taking a great big SCOOP of this stuff. *sigh* I'm obviously not very well travelled or culturally sophisticated...but I hadn't expected "American" food to be so different from "Canadian". ;-)

I should also be clear that "weird" or "different" doesn't necessarily mean "nasty" or "yucky" in my book. Just - wow, I sure wasn't expecting THAT!

jonahbear2006
07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
haha, that didnt happen to be at Trail's End Buffeteria did it? I will admit, I did that as well, and as everyone at my table looked at me like what? When I sat there with a mouth full of butter, I had the humility of explaining that I just served myself a cup of butter. haha. WHY do they do this to their butter? Is it suppose to be some kind of sick joke, hahaha. I just imagine the cooks in the back laughing about people thinking they have beautiful vanilla bean ice cream that is silky smooth, but wait nope its butter. haha.

bc002k
07-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Unless you have an extremely refined palatte, I don't see how Boma's food is that weird. I've never had authentic African fare, but I'm sure Boma is a very very Americanized take on it.

The chilled watermelon soup with shrimp at Le Cellier was bizarre (right down to the beaker-like container it was served in). And not in a good way, mind you.

mom2morgan
07-13-2008, 12:08 AM
haha, that didnt happen to be at Trail's End Buffeteria did it? I will admit, I did that as well, and as everyone at my table looked at me like what? When I sat there with a mouth full of butter, I had the humility of explaining that I just served myself a cup of butter. haha. WHY do they do this to their butter? Is it suppose to be some kind of sick joke, hahaha. I just imagine the cooks in the back laughing about people thinking they have beautiful vanilla bean ice cream that is silky smooth, but wait nope its butter. haha.
ROTFL! Thanks for sharing that - that is EXACTLY where it happened, and my daughter is VERY relieved to find out she's not the ONLY one to have done that, LOL

jonahbear2006
07-13-2008, 12:25 AM
hahaha, ME TOO!!! Thank your daughter for making that mistake. There are two of us in the world who think Disney was the one that made the mistake and not us. haha. My husband and I have been laughing about it all evening, since you shared your story. How precious!

HndrdPrcnt
07-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Personally, I enjoy the opportunity to try different foods from different countries and this is part of what I enjoy so much about going to WDW. I don't always love what I try, but I would not call it "weird". Who are we to think that our food is the only "normal" food out there?? I am sure when the cast members come from their home countries and they try some of our food that they think that we are the weird ones!!

Crow
07-13-2008, 02:23 AM
true im sure people from other countries think ours is weird
im trying to think....
mashed rutabagas in Akershus? different.
i did have some sorta African cooking from my ex wife CM...well her mother cooked like a fried bread thing....wasnt bad. Im trying to remember Bomas things.
lets see otherwise..well my first sushi was at Kimonos...didnt care for the eel but the other wasnt bad.

mouseketeer mom
07-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Get ready to throw things at me....

Turkey Legs.

I think they taste like a weird combination of ham and plastic. (Neither of which I want to eat if I can help it!)

Oh my gosh, thats so funny. I had them twice on our last trip and the reason I had one a second time was because I just couldn't figure out if they were weird or good..They tasted like bacon to me..but now that I see your description..I think you hit the nail on the head! . ...

TINKERBELL_82
07-13-2008, 08:19 PM

Sorry but neither one of these places have any quality to them. Just completely off the beaten path.

I'm sorry, but I have to object. Neither Boma or San Angel Inn are "nasty", they just don't appeal to your palate.

I happen to think that the quality at both of these establishments far exceeds that of your average restaurant.

And yes, these two places are off the beaten path- they are designed to allow you to experience cuisine from foreign countries. They aren't intended to be run of the mill.

wonderalice23
07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Two Boma lovers live in my house!
Also, the weirdest tasting food we have had is something you can usually find in any Asian market. We bought Shrimp Flavored chips in Japan...i guess its an acquired taste? There were two teenagers raving about them, and thats why we tried them!

SpecJoe Magic
07-14-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to object. Neither Boma or San Angel Inn are "nasty", they just don't appeal to your palate.

I happen to think that the quality at both of these establishments far exceeds that of your average restaurant.

And yes, these two places are off the beaten path- they are designed to allow you to experience cuisine from foreign countries. They aren't intended to be run of the mill.

Thank you for saying that. I agree with your statements.

lighteningqueen
07-14-2008, 12:51 AM
What I mean't was that they are no where near authentic. I thought that Epcot only hired people from those countries. So shouldn't the food be somewhat like what they serve in Mexico. It's far from it. As far as African not so sure about that either. Several people have posted the same as I have. Everything is sweet there, even things that shouldn't be. But each to it's on. I am glad that some have agreed its not what some posters make it out to be. There are so many other things in all the 4 parks that are far better than those two places and this is only my opinion at this moment. Its not just my thoughts. When we were at San Angel our table of 5 and the one next to us had 12 people at it and everone of them left their food as well. Another table on the other side, tried to eat it as well and they left theirs. So it can't just be our taste that is off. Oh well we tried it and we choose not to go back but others up north may be accustomed to that sort of flavor so it might be ok for them. This time we are doing four breakfast meals, and hoping that they will be good, after all how can you change the taste of breakfast right? This time only four night time meals. I think I have chosen well this time or so I do hope for the family. I just know that those 2 and Trails End will not be on our list, unless one of us is sick and wants some hospital bland food we won't try Trails again. ha ha:sick:

lighteningqueen
07-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Just one more thing read the post or thread "San Angel Inn or Gargen Grill "and see what I mean... Most think the food is really bad. Atmosphere is all it's got. We were crammed in the small room where the bathrooms are about 6 tables I would say. Couldn't see a thing nor had a waitress to come by and fill our drinks. I am glad that it isn't just me. I really got to thinking maybe until I read those.

Young@Heart
07-14-2008, 01:40 AM
I guess this is a difficult question for some, since it's purely based on opinion. I realize that I might not like some things at WDW (or at another restaurant) but that does not mean it's bad. :mickey: Everyone has different tastes, and what is not good to one person might be delicious to another!

I found the strawberry soup at 1900 Park Fare to be "weird", but in a very good way! Can't wait to eat it again in 3 short weeks!!! :cloud9:

big blue and hairy
07-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Easily the weirdest tasting thing at Disneyworld....THE TAP WATER! :sick:

:sulley:

TINKERBELL_82
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Thank you for saying that. I agree with your statements.

No problem- and thanks! :mickey:

Sorry if I came off a little harsh lightening, and I did read the thread titled San Angel v. Garden Grill. I do understand that a lot of people are expecting food comparable to what you would get at Chilis or something to that effect. I've traveled to Mexico several times, and to me, the food is authentic. Maybe its not for everyone, but I've never had anything bad there- just different (which I enjoy)!:mickey:

As a matter of fact, I have an 8:30 adr there on 8/24! I'm really looking forward to my Plato Mexicano and a Margarita!:marg:

I've never been to Africa, but I also loved Boma. I'm a "foodie" though, so trying new things is always fun for me.

Getting back on topic- the strangest thing I have ever had at WDW is the Beverly.:sick: I'm open to new things and all, but sheesh. ;)

lockedoutlogic
07-14-2008, 12:22 PM

i would have to agree there....

also....the pizza at the quickserves......what on earth are they doing to that junk to make it taste so downright awful?

Gotta Love Eeyore
07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
My vote is the coffee...just nasty. It is the only thing I have refused to try again and my DH and I go through a pot a day.

I also agree with the PP that in our house tea should be sweet and cornbread should not. :thumbsup:

Mackflava99
07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Club Marakash had some weid tastes and smells- but not bad-
different and i actually liked them. but if i didnt try them, i my have said- yuck !!

As for Boma- i liked it alot, my wife did not- its just based on your pallet and how open you are, she doesnt like to try new things. i do.

Gator
07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Just one more thing read the post or thread "San Angel Inn or Gargen Grill "and see what I mean... Most think the food is really bad. Atmosphere is all it's got. We were crammed in the small room where the bathrooms are about 6 tables I would say. Couldn't see a thing nor had a waitress to come by and fill our drinks. I am glad that it isn't just me. I really got to thinking maybe until I read those.

You're not the only one. The weirdest food I've every had was at San Angel Inn AND Cantina. They said it was Mexican cuisine, but it sure didn't taste like it to me. Weird.

Natazu
07-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Sci Fi - the, um... menu.

Spaceship Tigger
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Some of us have been around here long enough that we don't need one thread to tell us that San Angel is 'nasty'. Many people like the place quite a bit (including me). No, it's not the same food that you will get at an American 'Mexican' restaurant; it's at least a little more authentic than that (considering that it is owned by a company in Mexico).

I think the different cuisines at WDW are actually prepared quite well for the primarily American visitors with a few authentic items thrown in. If a WDW restaurant were to go totally authentic to its own region then it would probably be pretty easy to get at ADR there.

tink'72
07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
The weirdest tasting thing ...to me...would have to be the pretzels in Germany...Not at all what I expected.

BUT I do have to say my family and I make a point each year to eat at the San Angell INN and the Garden Grill...we love both!

big blue and hairy
07-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Sci Fi - the, um... menu.
Why are you eating the menu? :cool:

maxrebo77
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
For me it is not any weird taste. It is that something on SE (old) smelled just like the BBQ Ribs at HDD.

Crow
07-15-2008, 02:10 PM
i agree w the coffee...i get refillable mugs. at home i drink 2 cups in am. i try to drink it at WDW in morning, but usually switch to Diet soda since the coffee:ack:

maxrebo77
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
:-oI didn't mean that to sound bad. Something in the smoke thing just reminded me of HDD, where I have been at least 10 times.

Mackflava99
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
The food in mexico is not like Taco bell or Tex mex
I think San angel makes it pretty authentic , maybe slightly less spicy.

The comedian Paul Rodriquez says " I think most americans have no idea what real mexican food is, I can trully say my mother never made - Mexi-melts or Chalupas for us, actually a chalupa is a slang for a dog's body part and there is no way we'd be eating that "

NJGIRL
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
The wierdest thing at Disney I have ever had was the Frunch at BOMA. I just didn't like it at all. I know alot of people love it including my son and nephew but I thought it was just terrible which surprised me because I love fruit and fruit juices. The combination just didn't do anything for me.:(

Seasonscraps
07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
The weirdest tasting food I can remember was that fried cheese appetizer at Prime Time Cafe. It was kind of good but just a little weird to me.

Minnie Imagineer
07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I thought Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe in Poly was disgusting. Even my friend who loves bananas said it was disgusting. Also, I didn't like the food at WCC. Oh and at Hollywood and Vine, I hated the peanut chicken..I practically only eat chicken as a 'meat' and that is all they had-yuck

By the way: HndrdPrcnt, I love the avatar, thats adorable!

lockedoutlogic
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I thought Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe in Poly was disgusting. Even my friend who loves bananas said it was disgusting. Also, I didn't like the food at WCC. Oh and at Hollywood and Vine, I hated the peanut chicken..I practically only eat chicken as a 'meat' and that is all they had-yuck

By the way: HndrdPrcnt, I love the avatar, thats adorable!

woah.......there......

bite your tongue.....tonga is a sugar shocked, fatty out of body experience.....

horrible tasting...it is not.....

it's very similar to stuffed french toast that you find in the south and near beaches all over the world......

Minnie Imagineer
07-16-2008, 10:10 AM
it's very similar to stuffed french toast that you find in the south and near beaches all over the world......

haha, I know. I hate french toast! (and I don't really like bananas..but I didn't order it, I tried someone elses!)

lighteningqueen
07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Each to his own in the World.... I was just saying that even my husband and son in law who can eat anything wild weird or off the wall. left their food. They are not picky eaters. Most people don't know what real mexican food in the USA taste like or supposed to taste like. I lived in New Mexico for 25 yers and thats real Mexican food. When I moved to texas it was a whole different world of Mexican flavor. More Tex Mex bland. But nothing on my plate the Plato Mexicano taste anything like mexican food from anywhere including Mexico just inside the orders. But it doesnt matter, I know not to eat it there and that is our choice as well as all the others sitting in our area that night. When you know what good is for mexican food, then we are in the future not eating anything out of its native elements.. Even Italian food up North is way different than the south. So I was just making a statement for us. It still is the WEIRDEST...ha

Disneyatic
07-16-2008, 11:51 PM
The green beans were something that noone in my family liked.
They tasted frozen or plasticy, if that makes any sense!
We had them at a few different restaurants and just passed after the first try :blush:

BTW, I have to add my opinion that my family loves San Angel Inn. The food is different that typical Mexican or Tex-Mex. But it's good and the atmosphere is great.
I do wish they would upgrade their chips & salsa though!

MickeyMousse
07-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Some frozen lemonade concoction at the Villain store in MGM/DHS. It tasted like chemicals! :ack: Then, when I complained that it was inedible, the guy behind the counter tried to explain that the taste was "probably because it was a new batch." :confused: And he wanted to give me another one. Not.

donnah77
07-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree on the tap water being the weirdest! I don't even like the smell of the water in the shower! And I'm guessing that's what makes the coffee bad too - I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but saw several mention it.

As for actual food, I'd have to vote for one of the Norwegian cheeses on the buffet at Akershus. I love weird cheese, but that one was not for me :)

Epc0tphr34k
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM

this statement confuses me. it seems like your saying anything that is not homogenized for the american consumer and me be a little out of the ordinary lacks quality.

I personally feel some of my favorite restaurants through out disney were either water down or eliminated because of this. bon familles formerly in port orleans and the original menu at boatwrights were 2 of my favorites. I also liked the early menu at mexico alot more than now. It had more spice to it

disneydeb
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
We love Boma! I have tried many restaurants at WDW and have found none to be "nasty". ;)

AvonleaCF
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
The school bread in Norway. I love donuts, custard, and coconut, but didn't care for this dessert. Maybe because it was a hot 95 degree day when I ate it? Plus the outside of it seemed stale. I just dug out the cool custard from the middle and ate that.

Crow
07-17-2008, 11:20 PM
:nono::shake:
The school bread in Norway. I love donuts, custard, and coconut, but didn't care for this dessert. Maybe because it was a hot 95 degree day when I ate it? Plus the outside of it seemed stale. I just dug out the cool custard from the middle and ate that.

i love the schoolbread!
but i understand everyone has diff tastes, diff likes, thats what makes us unique & everyone having opinions on here. If everyone agreed it would be not much of a discussion on the boards.

bruin1344
07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
food at abc commissionary

Texas Tinkerbell Too
07-19-2008, 09:58 AM

You mean the "MOTE" water? This is some bad tasting stuff.

And this Southern gal, definitely doesn't eat sweet cornbread. So, thanks for the heads up...it doesn't sound like we want to go to Trail's End for our down home cooking food.

Other than the water, I can't really think of anything I have had at Disney that really qualified as "wierd."

Faver
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Anything at Boma! Except for the Frunch juice..... I know people love Boma, but I just don't:sick: