PDA

View Full Version : Carriage ride question

bkfree
07-11-2008, 04:12 PM
We will be staying at POFQ for the first time and I saw where POR/FQ have carriage rides and we would love to take the kiddo's on one.

Do you reserve a time?
If so, so you do this before your trip, or once you check in or on the day you want to do it?

I don't think I have seen the procedure explained here.

wendy*darling
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
We are contemplating doing the same thing. :mickey:
We have information about Carriage Rides (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/recreation/horseback.asp)in InfoCentral. About 3/4 of the way down the page is the info for Port Orleans.

I believe you can make reservations up to 60 days in advance. Depending on the time of year you are going, this may be a good idea- especially if you really want to do it.
It sounds like you could also make the reservation on site once you arrive. For slower times of the year, this should be fine.

I know that they will ask you for credit card info when you reserve. It will not be charged unless you don't show up or if you cancel less than 24 hrs ahead.

You pay the driver at the time of the ride, but he cannot take credits cards, so be prepared with cash or your room key.

I think it sounds lovely- I'd like to do it in September when just DH and I go.

moe513
07-11-2008, 06:58 PM
We did this last Aug. and liked it very much. We booked ahead of time so we wouldn't go to that resort and not have to wait or have it sold out on the night we wanted to do it. We were staying at the YC. I have stayed at FQ but never saw POR. I really wanted to check out the mansions. I think FQ is prettier.

aurorafan
07-12-2008, 09:32 AM
We did this last Oct. when we stayed at POR and it was a lovely relaxing way to end the day :thumbsup:. I reserved it about 3 months before we went, just to make sure it wasn't sold out the night we wanted to go.

Definitely go for it--you'll love it!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Does anyone have an idea of how much this costs, and how long the ride is?

aurorafan
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I want to say it was about $40-$45 for the 4 of us but I honestly can't remember the exact amount. The one at POR lasted about 30 minutes and went from POR down through POFQ and back to POR :)

HTH!

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
07-12-2008, 02:13 PM
We did this a couple of years ago with me and the wife only. The kids went with grandparents to swim. It is very relaxing in the evening. We actually went at fireworks time and could see them going off from somewhere maybe DTD or Epcot. It was during the fourth week in 2005 and we could see them when we were in the carriage. It was pretty awesome to enjoy a glass of wine (they let you bring drinks on the carriage) which we picked up a mini bottle and two plastic wine glasses at the POR food court while riding a romantic horse and carriage ride and seeing the fireworks at the same time!!!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-12-2008, 02:43 PM
:sleigh: I saw where they have them at Ft. Wilderness and they decorate them like sleighs for Christmas time....we're going to try it....I think the price was stated as $35. for a 30 minute ride.....can be booked 60 days in advance, I'm sure POR is the same policy.

wendy*darling
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Does anyone have an idea of how much this costs, and how long the ride is?
Yes, it's right here in Info Central (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/recreation/horseback.asp)! :thumbsup:

"Location: Port Orleans Resort. Departs from and returns to Riverside in front of Boatwright’s Dining Hall. Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the French Quarter and Riverside.

Schedule: Starting at 6 p.m.
The last ride each night departs from Boatwright's at 9:30 p.m.

Cost: $35 for 30 minutes.
Tickets sold by carriage drivers. Cash and Disney Resort guest room charges accepted – credit cards cannot be accepted.

For Reservation: Reservations can be made during the day at the Riverside Marina and are recommended, but not necessary.
Reservations can also be made by calling407-WDW-PLAY.

Carriage Style: Each carriage can accommodate up to four adults, or two adults and two or three children."

Carriage Rides are also available at Fort Wilderness and Saratoga Springs.

BugeyedMuggy
07-12-2008, 07:24 PM
My wife and I did this at Fort Wilderness. We brought a bottle of champagne with us and on our very romantic ride saw about 20 deer. That is not an exageration! I asked our carraige driver if this was unusual and she said it wasn't unusual to see a deer but it wasn't often she saw as many as we did. We took the ride in early March at about 6pm.

It was very memorable.

tinksmom02
07-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I know your questions have been answered, but I just wanted to let you know that, depending on when you go, you don't HAVE to make reservations. Course, if you know what day you'd like to do it, by all means set it up ahead of time, but if you're willing to be flexible you might be OK. My parents took DD on a ride in Jan 07, and they literally walked up to the carriage guy and set it up right there--slow time. Last Sept we took DD, we called the number and couldn't get in that night, but we walked over to POR and asked the guys, and we got the last ride available for the evening.

It's really a pretty ride, enjoy it!

KatGat
07-17-2008, 03:12 PM
When we booked our carriage ride for February 2008, we were told the POR location was being discontinued and that only FW could be booked. I think it was $40 cash, paid to the driver. We did it as sunset and it was so relaxing we almost feel asleep. The horse was the biggest I've ever seen in my life. The driver was very knowledgable about the type of horse it was, etc. We also so various 'woodsy' animals on our trek through the grounds.
Enjoy!

atnextc
07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Me Wife and I did the carriage ride for our 1yr anniversary and we both hated it and it was a waste of money. The horse had to stop to pee and to poop while we were on it. All in all not worth 50 bucks to watch a horse use the bathroom up close. Plus you have to walk about 1 mile to get to where the load place is to get on the horse. YES, you have to have a reservation, its $45 you reserve on CC and the drivers on take cash and they do accept tips for some reason.:mickey: