PDA

View Full Version : Family hangouts?

disneycutie165
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
We are not sure we would want to go on the cruise because it sounds like there is not much for family's to do together. My DBF told me that he and his sister were always seperated from their parents. I don't have any brothers or sisters so I would be lonely in the teen hangout. Is there any places my family can come with me?

Piglet822
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I have never been on the Disney cruise myself but from listening to the video for 5 years (I was a DCL driver) you can spend as much or as little time together as you like. I'm sure there'll be plenty of things on board the ship for you and your family to do together.
There are plenty of people on the boards that have sailed and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to share their experiences.

Donald_Quackers
07-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I haven't been on a cruise yet (going in December!), but I would suggest checking the navigator thread stickied at the top of the forum. That would give you a general idea of activities that they have planned for all types of groups, families included.

I'll be posting a trip report when I get back, as well as the navigators.

DisneyDudet
07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
As far as the teen area, you may be surprised. There seemed to be plenty for them to do, and they all seemed like they didn't want to leave!

Since I'm the youngest, but still an adult, I am not in the same boat as you (no pun intended). But, there are PLENTY of things that can be done together. There's shows, excursions when you are on the islands, activities like golf in the lobby (yes, they do have it!), trivia games, family karaoke, learning to do animation, the pools, movies, dance parties, just so much, really. You can spend as much time together as you want. You are not required to go to the teen center, but its a great way to meet some new friends. They have video games and other stuff. There's also the sports deck, where you can play basketball or other things. They often have some late night activities for teens, and you're welcome to join anytime.

Really, its hard to be bored on the ship. Even if you lay out and get a tan, that's something.

One thing we did when my parents, grandparents, and I went, was to bring cards or dominoes (preferably dominoes, as they don't blow away!). We would play games on deck, especially on the sea days. This was really fun, and we had a lot of people ask where we got the dominoes. Of course, we brought our own, but that is always a chance to ask a new friend to play.

Too much time with the family may be too much of a good thing. You may want to go and do something on your own. You don't want too much togetherness to ruin your trip. You can always head to the family pool and hang out there, while they're at the adult area. There's nothing wrong with listening to your ipod and reading a book on deck. I do that all the time (I'm 24 and as single as they come).

You will find something to do. I would encourage you to try out the teen area a few times (not just once) to see if there is anything you'd like to do. From what I understand, the staff that works that area are great, and really try to make everyone, regardless of if they are shy or super outgoing, get involved and have a good time.

Like it has been said before, you can spend as much time together (or apart) as you want. Its your vacation.

ayeckley
07-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Speaking as an only child and former super-akward teen, I'd highly recommend that you at least participate in some of the teen stuff. Even if you are a very shy person, I'll bet you still have fun.

Speaking as a dad of kids ranging from 6 mos to 12 years, there are lots of things you can do as a group. The movies, the shows, shuffleboard, snorkeling at Castaway Cay, the Pirate party (do they still do that?). A lot of the daytime shipboard activity revolves around the pools and upper decks and really is all-inclusive. I don't know about the longer cruises, but on the three day cruise there's really no opportunity to be bored. Just checking out the ship for the first time can kill a few hours.