PDA

View Full Version : on crutches for 4-8 weeks & SO bored

trennedy
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I had surgery on my hip last week & the dr. said that my bone was soft?? and he drilled holes in the ball of the hip to help the bone regrow stronger. All greek to me!
Well, due to this I have to be on crutches for 4-8 weeks. I am so incredibly bored after 1 week. I teach kindergarten, so good news is I'm not missing any work right now, but bad news, is that 8 weeks takes me thru the first week of school!!:goodbad:
Any suggestions of how to make the time pass? Luckily, my DS and DD have been my "legs" while my DH is at work, but I am feeling very bored and useless!
What would you do?

disneymom15
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Stay right here on Intercot and chat with your Disney friends. Hope this helps.

RedSoxFan
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I would find some good books to read and rent some movies. You could also get some puzzle type books to work on.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-10-2008, 10:35 PM
BTDT with my knee four times now. NO fun!!

It sounds like you had Microfracture done on your hip. I have had it done twice on my knee. If that is the case, make sure you are on those crutches for as long as your Dr says. No cheating at all. Microfracture can easily fail if not allowed the right healing time. I was 6 weeks no weight bearing at all both times. The holes need time to fill in. Unfortunately for me, the microfracture failed both times and I ended up with bone grafts twice. Mine did not fail because of anything I did though. My knee is just very tricky.:(

Anyway, do you have pads for your crutches?? They will make a world of difference in a week or two. I got sheepskin ones from my medical supply store. They go over the standard rubber pad that comes with the crutches.

I did lots of reading when I was resting. The rest of the time I just had to do my normal activities on crutches. My poor kids are very used to having Mom on crutches. This past April was the last time I was on them. I have been on crutches for 24 weeks in the past 3 years!

Best of luck to you!! I know how frustrating it can be, trust me!!

trennedy
07-12-2008, 03:24 AM
I would find some good books to read and rent some movies. You could also get some puzzle type books to work on.

I have tried to get into a few books, but end up stopping and finding other things to do. But I am obsessed with word finds. I have a book, but have also found a cool online site for them.

BTDT
It sounds like you had Microfracture done on your hip.

Thank you! My DH tried to explain to me what the dr. did, but of course, never asks the same questions that I would. I googled Microfractures of the hip and it answered so many of my questions and explained so much of why I must stay on the crutches!!! Thank you so much for your help. Man...:rocks:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Thank you! My DH tried to explain to me what the dr. did, but of course, never asks the same questions that I would. I googled Microfractures of the hip and it answered so many of my questions and explained so much of why I must stay on the crutches!!! Thank you so much for your help. Man...:rocks:

No problem.:)

I am glad you were able to get some more answers by reading online. I always make sure I write down questions for my husband to ask when I go in for my knee. He gets annoyed with me but, I need clear answers too! He forgets everything, lol.

I hope you are doing well. I feel for you, I really do! Have a great weekend!