PDA

View Full Version : Which Table Service would you pick if you could only afford one during your trip?

ASweetLov
07-10-2008, 01:05 PM
My sister and I are going sometime in April next year(no dates yet). We have been saving up some money for a few months now and we are planning a 5 day/4 nights. We are hoping we have extra money at the time of booking for an extra day.
We will be eating all of our meals in the Pop Century food court. They have a great variety and have good food. If we have a bit of extra money I would also like to take her to one table service restautant in WDW.
So my question is, which table service would you pick if you could only afford one during your whole trip?

*It's my sisters first trip*:mickey:

Bethis26fan
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
a character meal like a early Crystal Palace Breakfast so you can get in early to MK, or Le cellier

Kairi_7378
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
If I could save up a little more, I'd splurge on the CA Grill or Narcooses so that you can get the great views of the Magic Kingdom.

For other choices, it depends on what you're looking for and what your food preferences are. If you want some rowdiness with your meal, WCC or O'hana may be a good choice. Characters? Crystal Palace, 1900 Park Faire, Garden Grill, or Cindy's would be good bets. For ethnic food, some of the Epcot restaurants are exceptional. For a neat atmosphere, the Brown Derby or Coral Reef would be good, too.

If you tell us what kinds of foods you like to eat, it will help people make better recommendations.

PS. Don't underestimate the great CS places in the parks! Sunshine Seasons (Epcot), Flame Tree BBQ (AK) and Cosmic Ray's/ Columbia Harbor House are great CS meals with generous portions.

Jared
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Kona Cafe is the one restaurant I always want to eat at every trip, but in your situation, I'd try something a little more special. 'Ohana and Coral Reef are two good reasonably affordable places. Perhaps try a character meal, like Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace.

Or if you really want to splurge, consider one of the signature places. They are the best Disney has to offer.

threeh
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Boma at the animal kingdom lodge is my favorite place to eat. yum!!!
walking around AKL is really cool as well.
Otherwise I would choose a country in EPCOT.

Happy planning!!:mickey:

Crow
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
it depends on what you like & what parks.
for me Epcot is the fav park so Id eat there
or for a signature place. CA Grill or Artist PT

SBETigg
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I think 'Ohana is a good, affordable choice that offers a unique Disney feel and experience, making it a great choice for dinner. If you're into characters, maybe a character meal, like 1900 Park Fare at the GF.

I would suggest Signature dining. If I picked one, it would be California Grill. You could actually just have appetizers and dessert there and not spend a bunch of money. If you're light eaters and won't feel cheated out of the whole dining experience, that's a way to go. But, with budget issues in general, I would leave the Signature dining off the list.

diz_girl
07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Another vote for the Crystal Palace. Although I love Kona, Narcoossee's, etc., the Crystal Palace IMHO is probably the best character meal at WDW. Great food (breakfast, lunch or dinner), great location, a beautiful atmosphere and cuddly characters. You can't beat it and it's a great meal for first-timers to WDW.

Mickey Magic
07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
:mickey:Teppan Edo(sp?)...Japan...They cook at the table..it's entertaining...the shrimp and steak are fantastic. My DH would say Rose and Crown for the fish and chips...and to watch illuminations!:mickey:

jonahbear2006
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
just one? first of all, i dont think i will ever go to disney again without the dining plan but just one?
I would have to say Boma. There are so many places to eat in disney but most of them and most of the buffets are american comfort food. Boma combines American comfort and lots of new dishes that you have never experienced, unless you cook african food a lot. There's lots of meat and lots of vegetarian food, and tons of desserts. This is a don't miss kind of place.

joonyer
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
We never make a trip to WDW without going to 'Ohana for dinner. We love the food, the atmosphere and the family fun!

Young@Heart
07-10-2008, 04:54 PM
If you like characters, I'd say 1900 Park Fare. It's our absolute favorite! I know it's a buffet, but the food delicious and there is a lot of variety. I'm counting down the days 'til I get to have strawberry soup again! MMMMmmmm! :cloud9:

bkfree
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I agree do not leave out all of the great CS meals at the parks, especially the ones in World Showcase. You can get some great meals at very reasonable prices that reflect the cuisine of each country. That is where we use most of out CS credits.

For a Buffet, I agree that 1900 Park Fare is our favorite.
We are trying Boma for the first time and I am excited to try some dishes that I cannot get in my home town.
So I say go for a TS that offers what you cannot experience at home. We can get great Chinese, Mexican, Italian.Seafood and Japanese food where we live. But African or Polynesian or Morrocan is special at WDW because that is the only place we can get it.
We do love Crystal Palace too.
So I say Ohana or Kona or Boma or Marrakesh for a little magic that is Disney unique.

Goes4FastPass
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
If I could save up a little more, I'd splurge on the CA Grill or Narcooses so that you can get the great views of the Magic Kingdom.

For other choices, it depends on what you're looking for and what your food preferences are. If you want some rowdiness with your meal, WCC or O'hana may be a good choice. Characters? Crystal Palace, 1900 Park Faire, Garden Grill, or Cindy's would be good bets. For ethnic food, some of the Epcot restaurants are exceptional. For a neat atmosphere, the Brown Derby or Coral Reef would be good, too.

If you tell us what kinds of foods you like to eat, it will help people make better recommendations.

PS. Don't underestimate the great CS places in the parks! Sunshine Seasons (Epcot), Flame Tree BBQ (AK) and Cosmic Ray's/ Columbia Harbor House are great CS meals with generous portions.

This is a very good reply. If you're only going to eat 1 TS meal I'd make sure it was an experience you can't at home. There's no spaghetti or steak or seafood restaurant in WDW that serves better food than the mall where you live but those mall chain restaurants don't have great views or Disney atmosphere or characters.

Kairi_7378
07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
I wanted to add that if money is an issue, there are CS places where the portions are very generous and shareable. Some of these include Tangerine Cafe (Epcot) and Flame Tree (AK).

Gator
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
With or without characters, Liberty Tree Tavern has the best food at the parks, bar none. Le Cellier is a close second, though.

Pop Centurion
07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd probably pick Boma.

slegrant
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
My family and I love The California Grill in the Contemporary, Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge or Narcossee' at the Grand Floridian. Have a greta trip!

AllDisney
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I'd pick Jiko at AKL. Food is fantastic, PLUS you can do the night viewing of the animals while you are there.

If it's a restaurant at one of the parks, I'd pick Coral Reef. The atmosphere is great and the food has always been great every time we've eaten there:thumbsup:

Aggie97
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I think 'Ohana has yummy food and a great atmosphere -- unique, fun and very "Disney" -- at a reasonable price. Depending on where you are seated in the dining room, you may be able to watch the castle while you eat. You also have the fun experience of taking the monorail/boat to the Polynesian from MK and walking around the wonderful resort.

A character meal, such as Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare or Crystal Palace (depending on which characters you'd prefer to see), would be another great option for a first-timer.

Signature restaurants like Narcoossee's, CA Grill and Jiko also offer fabulous food and Disney atmosphere, but they are much pricier.

Whatever you choose, have a great time! :mickey:

Natazu
07-10-2008, 11:05 PM
For the best in food and service: California Grill
For a fun Disney experience: Chef Mickey's
For great affordable food and service: Grand Floridian Cafe

bkfree
07-10-2008, 11:52 PM
With or without characters, Liberty Tree Tavern has the best food at the parks, bar none. Le Cellier is a close second, though.

Of all the dining reviews I have read, I don't think I have ever heard this said about LTT.
I have indeed eaten there myself, and I can duplicate the same exact meal from the Frozen Stouffers's Food Section of my grocery store.

Best Food of all the parks, seriously?:humph:

I am so glad there are so many dining places to choose from given the diffences in palates and opinions.:D

I believe
07-11-2008, 12:46 AM
My suggestion is Hoop de Doo. It combines good food with a great time... our family has laughed a lot around those tables! For us it is what Disney is all about...family and fun!:mickey:

brownie
07-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd try to get a reservation for Cinderella's Royal Table at the Magic Kingdom.

Other choices would be Ohanas, Garden Grill, or Rose & Crown Pub.

bkfree
07-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Gator,

Sorry for the Snarky comment about LTT. When I read it today, I felt I was stepping on your toes or tongue maybe.:blush:

Fact is, There are wonderful and horrid reviews on every single restaurant and resort at WDW.
Find one that sounds fun, interesting and delish and you probably won't be disappointed.
:mickey:

Goes4FastPass
07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
The original poster here gave the impression her trip may include a single TS meal was because of her trip - an entirely important piece of reality to consider when visiting Fantasy Land.

HDDR and CRT are both expensive and neither are great values. "Signature" restaurants are also swell and cost more then "regular" TS restaurants.

If someone says, "I have a limited budget and I'm condering Narcosse" I suggest, considering o'Hana AND another less expensive TS instead.

The question wasn't just "If you could pick just one", there was a budget factor.

Kairi_7378
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Greg, the budget factor is a very important factor to consider. I agree with you that if you are only going to splurge once, there are certain places in WDW that I'd go to. The signature dining places, IMO, are the ones that are truely a different experience than what I could get at home. I think that it is in the spirit of eating something you can't at home that made some of us recommend the Signature restaurants. I agree with you that of the more expensive places to eat, I'm not sure that I'd splurge on CRT and the dinner shows.

Some of the other TS places? Not as unique, other than atmosphere. Of the lesser expensive TS restaurants, I'd probably have to recommend Kona or O'hana. The buffet at Boma can also be a good value, if the OP is an adventurous eater. If not, some of the character buffets might work on both the budget and the food fronts.

Because the OP mentioned a budget, in a second post, I brought up the fact that there are some places where the CS portions are pretty big and shareable, which would cut down on food costs a little. This might help her to plan her food budget a little better.

MickeyChick
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Of all the TS meals I had this past January, Ohana was my favorite. My least favorite was Boma and everyone raves about it. Blech!

But I have an ADR for LaCellier next month, ask me again in September.

Goes4FastPass
07-11-2008, 02:23 PM
OK, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be fussy about the 'higher end' restaurant reccomendations.

I feel like, on this board, posters sometimes raise their hand and say, "I can afford 'Value' but 'Deluxe' looks so wonderful" and instead of replies encouraging them to look forward to their value stay, they're told, "you deserve the best...go for it...top price is more magical"

That was not the case here.

I'm hard pressed to think of my best answer to the original question - EVERY Disney operated TS restaurant is distinctly Disney. If bang-for-the-buck is the goal, I'd say dinner at 1900 Park Fare. The cost is reasonable. The food is the best buffet food at WDW and there's a lot of it (duh, it's a buffet) in a super setting - the Grand Floridian, and includes characters.

I believe
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
The original poster here gave the impression her trip may include a single TS meal was because of her trip - an entirely important piece of reality to consider when visiting Fantasy Land.

HDDR and CRT are both expensive and neither are great values. "Signature" restaurants are also swell and cost more then "regular" TS restaurants.

If someone says, "I have a limited budget and I'm condering Narcosse" I suggest, considering o'Hana AND another less expensive TS instead.

The question wasn't just "If you could pick just one", there was a budget factor.

Respectfully, your post#14 on page one contradicts what you are now saying.

I believe the OP was looking for a special evening for her sister and her to share. Something that they worked for and saved for.
IMHO, that would suggest more than food, but more of an experience, which a dinner show or dining at the castle would provide.
Granted the food at HDD is just barbaque/fried chicken which is a pretty commonplace menu.It is the show that makes the dinner special.
If we were paying the same amount for the food at WC as we do at HDD I would say it was a waste of money.
Catagory 3 seating at HDD is apx $50. An entree alone (No drink, dessert or app) at a signature resturant could be the same amount.

I agree that budget should be considerd. All of these are suggestions. Only the original poster knows what her budget is...
To go about making a decision, she can take all of our suggestions and compare prices, and prefernces on the menu tab @ info central

OP, whatever you decide, I hope you and your sister have a magical vacation!:mickey:

Mousemates
07-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd do a good buffet where I could get my moneys worth and sample a # of items...if I wanted a pure disney magic moment I'd probably go with the crystal palace...if I wanted a more relaxed evening around which the meal served as the focal point I'd probably go with Bomas and an evening at the AKL.