PDA

View Full Version : Any reviews on Sci-Fi Dine In?

RocknBev
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I will be making my ADR's on Saturday. DBro looked through my WDW materials and thought Sci-Fi sounded interesting. There will be 14 of us....8 adults, 2 teenagers, 4 kids under 12. He thought the atmosphere would be more entertaining and Disneyque for the kids than H&V or Mama Mel. We have already been to 50 Prime so we wanted to do something different. Any thoughts my friends?

dumbo_buddy
07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
this is completely only my opinion and many people have differing ones:

the atmosphere is good for about the first 10 minutes. the "movies" they show are snippets which are fine but i think in one meal we saw the same loop 3 times! and we eat fast!

the food = barfola :sick:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
We ate at Sci-Fi on our last trip for the first time, and it was, well...um...horrible.

The atmosphere is neat, but the food was just terrible, except for dessert, which was actually quite good.

You could make an ADR for the middle of the afternoon, slip in and enjoy the movies, the air-conditioning and dessert, but I wouldn't go there for a meal.

tink'72
07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
My family and I found the Sci-Fi diner fun. Loved the atmosphere. Food was okay but the kids just love it. We are going back this year.

Hayden's Dad
07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
We love the Sci Fi. We go there every trip. You can't beat the atmosphere, and the food is good for what it is Drive In Food, burgers shakes, fries etc.. We highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

disneymom15
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
We ate there last October. We enjoyed it. I had a salad and it was very good. My daughter had a burger and husband had a chicken sandwich onion rings and shake. I would recommend it. It think we ate mid afternoon and got right in.

NJGIRL
07-10-2008, 11:01 AM
We eat at the SciFi each time we go to the studios. It's a fun atmosphere and we have always had good food. I have read only the shakes and onion rings are good and in my opinion that's not true. We have had almost everything on the menu at one time or another and it has been fine. The theme of the restaurant is a drive inn and I think the menu choices are good for what it is.

Charlee
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I know many don't like Sci-Fi but we just did this last month and thought it was good - nothing special but good. We did dinner, all had the chicken sandwich with fries which was fine - again nothing amazing but definitely edible!

To be fair, the only reason we went was the theme which I enjoyed being a sci-fi fan. We would not rush back but if you have someone in your party who wants something different from a dining experience, the Sci-Fi is enjoyable.

IloveDisney71
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
We ate at Sci-Fi on our last trip for the first time, and it was, well...um...horrible.

The atmosphere is neat, but the food was just terrible, except for dessert, which was actually quite good.

You could make an ADR for the middle of the afternoon, slip in and enjoy the movies, the air-conditioning and dessert, but I wouldn't go there for a meal.

My thoughts exactly! I was so disappointed that we wasted an DDP meal here. I enjoy the types of food on the menu, but for the price the food just wasn't up to standards. One exception...the onion rings were great.

Jared
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't like the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater for anything but onion rings and milkshakes. The food is pretty bad. Still, I usually recommend it to those who haven't tried it before, because it is a fun experience and the atmosphere makes it more an attraction than a meal.

Considering your party size, though, I would find someplace else. You guys would be all spread out and would have no way to communicate. It's hard enough for a family of four to converse there, when two people are sitting in the back and two in the front. Someone always has to crane their neck around just to talk and then hope to hear over the volume of the movie clips.

Unless you don't mind not being together, I'd try Hollywood & Vine, or for something special and delicious, The Hollywood Brown Derby.

:tasty:

KylesMom
07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
We too enjoy Sci Fi for lunch - the burgers and onion rings are good, and it's a fun atmosphere to sit and chill for about an hour. I must stress that we've only eaten here for lunch before, not dinner. :mickey:

threeh
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
We tried sci fi last trip. I had read quite a few not so good reviews. Not that the food was awful but just not as good as other disney options. I really really tried to go in with an open mind. Most meals I don't have to cook or clean up are usually good by me. This place I just didn't really like. The food wasn't awful, it was just boring. I wish I could explain it better, but the atmosphere was fun. my kids liked the movies and eating in the cars. The food was just ok.
Happy planning:mickey:

Crow
07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Id put in in the Ehh. i tried it a few yrs ago for the atmosphere. from what i remember, service not too great, food ok, repeating trailers.
so basically what was said above.

SBETigg
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I love the Sci-Fi for lunch. I think it's fun and unique, and the lunch food is generally pretty good, standard American fare. I wouldn't risk it for dinner. If you have a large party and want to eat in the cars, you will be splitting up.

Mickey Magic
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
:mickey:We just went in June...the kids loved the atmosphere...the food was great for LUNCH...try the onion rings and shakes. If you like to actually drink your shakes, order them right away, they are REALLY thick...YUMMY!:mickey:

joonyer
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
We love the Sci-fi atmosphere, and have always been pleased with the food, But we only go for lunch. We have avoided the dinner entrees after trying the pasta several years ago (it was so-so at best). But the burgers and reuben sandwiches are really good and the onion rings and shakes are out-of-this-world fabulous.
But with a big party like yours, you will not all be seated together. Something to know going in.

Pop Centurion
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
We've been there twice for lunch. Like others have said, great atmosphere but the food is average. The only reason I'd go again is if we went with someone who's never gone before which is why we went the second time.

Ropachs
07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I just switched our DHS lunch ADR from PrimeTIme to SciFi. We've been at PT before and even though I've read all the bad reviews on SF I want to try everything once! I know my son will love the atmosphere, and that's worth it alone for us.
PS. I also have an ADR for Tony's despite the bad press, send some luck our way ;)

Young@Heart
07-11-2008, 01:22 AM
We've been there twice. Both times, the food was okay, at best. We did lunch 1st time and dinner 2nd time. The atmosphere was great, though, and the kids loved it.
However, we're skipping it this trip to try something new-hopefully w/ better food. :thumbsup:

RAIDER
07-11-2008, 04:15 AM
The atmosphere is unique and in my view theres nothing like it and seating in the cars is fun .
The milkshakes are the best on the planet ...However the food /menu is a tad boring
But defiantly worth checking out in my opinion :thumbsup:

RALPH
07-11-2008, 07:45 AM
We did it once for lunch years ago when DS was 7 or so. Food was OK, but not something I would rush back for. The trailers get old real fast. I would not waste a credit or bother going there for dinner. If you realize that you are going for the atmosphere and not the food, you will be OK.

Sorry to differ with a prior posters opinion, but at H&V we only ate there for the Fantasmic option. We realize the food is bad, but tolerated it. Unfortunatley, it has gotten so bad, we don't do that anymore. I thought it was just our family being picky, but the many other postings on this forum about H&V make me realize it is not just us.

This is the one thing about DHS that needs improvement. Better dining quality throughout the park both TS and CS would really be a nice improvement.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

maxrebo77
07-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I went to Sci-Fi last Sept., but did not use a DDP credit for it. Paid $ for appetizer and a cocktail with a glow cube, watched the trailers (which I love) and left happy.:marg:

RocknBev
07-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks so much for your many replies. I believe we should just go for the appetizer and milkshake. I can certainly swing that one and make DBro happy.
Now the question is where to go for dinner. I can't go to Brown Derby because it will be out of DSis' price range and it is 2 TS credits. We don't want that. I have less than 24 hours to decide. I really wanted to leave the park but dine at Ohana's because I thought the kids would find that fun but too many in my party ( including DH) don't like that idea. They want to stay at the park.

Giselle
07-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Sci Fi is atmospheric however it generally has tables inside "cars" which means your group would be split up. IOf course, you will likely be split up anywhere. f you don't mind that, I'd say of the 3 restaraunts you listed Sci Fi sounds the most fun. Try the spin-dip and a shake. :thumbsup:

lighteningqueen
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
We ate there last Dec.. We paid out of pocket and saved our DDP for 50's that night. The angus burgers were the best on the menu, in fact the best burgers in the park. Thick and taste like grilled on the grill. Onion rings...ok if 4 will fill you up for the money. But we would definately go again its fun. In our opinion it beats out Boma and san Angel hands down. I think the problem with DHS is that there are not enough good eating places there. Counter service is about non existant. Toy Story had the worst Pizzas and ABC is just plain bad. So you gotta try Sci Fi and see for yourself.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
;) Our service was good, theming great and food okay

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks so much for your many replies. I believe we should just go for the appetizer and milkshake. I can certainly swing that one and make DBro happy.
Now the question is where to go for dinner. I can't go to Brown Derby because it will be out of DSis' price range and it is 2 TS credits. We don't want that. I have less than 24 hours to decide. I really wanted to leave the park but dine at Ohana's because I thought the kids would find that fun but too many in my party ( including DH) don't like that idea. They want to stay at the park.

:D

We are trying Hollywood and Vine for the firsttime ourselves this December, but can tell you that we tried Mama Melrose's in 2005 and didn't care for it...but things can change....have you considered just eating at a Counter Service Restaurant?

SBETigg
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
:D

We are trying Hollywood and Vine for the firsttime ourselves this December, but can tell you that we tried Mama Melrose's in 2005 and didn't care for it...but things can change....have you considered just eating at a Counter Service Restaurant?

Hollywood and Vine was one of our least favorite meals in all our visits. Perhaps you want to reconsider counter service, too? ;)

Really, dining in DHS is pretty dismal with the exception of Hollywood Brown Derby. Maybe a compromise and visit Spoodles at the Boardwalk, then return to DHS? Our lunch at Sci Fi was way better than our meal at Hollywood and Vine.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Hollywood and Vine was one of our least favorite meals in all our visits. Perhaps you want to reconsider counter service, too? ;)

Really, dining in DHS is pretty dismal with the exception of Hollywood Brown Derby. Maybe a compromise and visit Spoodles at the Boardwalk, then return to DHS? Our lunch at Sci Fi was way better than our meal at Hollywood and Vine.

Yeah, we've heard mixed reviews/we are eating there mostly because of the Fantasmic Package/would rather have tried 50's Primetime but I guess we'll have to risk it for the seats, plus my mom likes buffets :ack: because you get plenty of veggies

disneyfan1124
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
You have to know when you ask a question like this, that there will be folks on both sides of the fence. We happen to be on the "oh my godness, never, ever again" side. We went b/c friends raved about it. Friends we spend time with and enjoy being with. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. No comparison to any other themed dining experience! The food was lousy, prices high, portions small. Seating was uncomfortable. With a party as large as you are planning, I would suggest another experience. As mentioned earlier, it will be difficult to converse with your family/friends. If you're willing to gamble, give it a try. Oh by the way, we no longer speak to our friends who raved about it! --just kidding, we're all heading down in November!

GrmGrninGost
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Sci-Fi is the only restaurant on WDW property I will not return to. The food was horrible!:ack: