PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Key West any suggestions?

sleeping beauty77
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
My hubby,his sis and her hubby and I are going to WDW this Oct./Nov. . We're in the world for the first four days of the trip and then traveling down to Key West for the next four days. Then back to the world for the last seven. Never been before. Was hoping to do some sight seeing and some scuba diving . :diver: Has anyone been and have some must see's or do's. Where is a good place to stay. Would like to see the ocean if not too expensive. Any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks :vacation:

BriarRose
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey!

Just thought I'd say hi!

:here:

And now I did!

:encore:

106 days 1 hr 55 min 30 sec

Jen C.
07-08-2008, 10:34 PM
We travel to Key West every February. We simply LOVE it. I highly recommend staying at the Hilton harborside, or perhaps looking into the Hyatt properties. There is a lovely place called the Hyatt sunset harbor. it is just a little wals from Duvall Street, which is where all of the action is. The Hyatt Sunset harbor is a timeshare, but I do believe they rent if there is availability. Also, Hyatt has 3 other properties. One is an actual hotel/resort, and the other 2 are also timeshares (Windward Pointe and Beach Club). We are owners of Hyatt Vacation Club, and all of the properties on Key West are simply fabulous.
Be sure to check out Mallory Square just before sunset. There are street acts galore, and much fun to be had. Of course the sunsets in Key West are the best. The snorkeling is awesome, and there will be lots of info available as you stroll the streets. Also, if you can eat at Carolines, you won't be disappointed. It's just a laid back open air restaurant, and a great place to catch a :marg: and people watch. Have a super time. you'll LOVE it :thumbsup:!

Funforall
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Another option for lodging may be to rent a house. Friends and I have done it a few times and it's always worked out great. Also, an idea that I've done is a jet ski tour around the island. It's great fun, a lot to see, exciting, and will wear you out.

Denny The Pooh
07-09-2008, 12:06 PM
DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!!! Did I mention Diving, or maybe you should consider diving!!:nudge::diver:

jrkcr
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Take me with you!! Your vacation sounds wonderful!!

:mickey:
Watch a few sunrises...:vacation:
Watch a few sunsets....:vacation:
:mickey:

I've never been to Key West, but have always thought I'd like it there!

sleeping beauty77
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
:welcome: Welcome to intercot Denny the Pooh. You live right near my neck of the woods,I wonder if we've met. My Sil is Briar Rose maybe you've met her? Hmmmm.... curious. Well I"ll certainly mention, what did you suggest scuba? :diver: Well my Bil is really into surfing :surfing:, but I'll mention it.:goof: Man I'm funny!:funny: :wave:

105d 10h 19m :joy:

Advnt05
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
My wife and I went back in Jan and stayed at a B&B. A little disappointing in that there was no breakfast (which is half of B&B). But, enjoyed the island.

Hemingway's House is a fun trip. Lots of good food to be found as well. The little hole in the wall places are much nicer than the chain stops. Ask around for some recommendations.

Snorkled too using a company that sales to the spot. I enjoyed that pretty much.

Have a great time!

BriarRose
07-09-2008, 02:13 PM
We will probably have to fit in some relaxing, as Denny The Pooh has baby feet.

105 days 9 hrs 44 min 40 sec

sleeping beauty77
07-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Well hello Briar Rose! :wave: It's so nice to hear from you. Yes, we'll have to relax in the Keys I agree.:vacation: Poor little Denny the Pooh and his tiny baby feet.:baby:

:mickey3::minnie::dale::chip:

trennedy
07-10-2008, 01:03 PM
My DH and I love Key West. We stayed at the Reach Resort. It was a nice walk to all the fun on Duval street. We loved Mallory Square at sunset.
We spent one day Snuba diving...a combo of scuba diving and snorkeling. You breath surface air and breath thru a regulator. You can go deeper than snorkeling. It is a blast.
Sitting on the balcony of Crabby Dick's overlooking Duval street is a great time to people watch. :beer:They also have good food!
We had a lot of fun there, tourist things like going to Hemingway's house, taking a bike ride around the island and even taking a haunted Key West tour.:eek::ghost:
It was a great vacation and we can't wait to go back someday!

crazypoohbear
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Mallory square at sunset is incredible.
Other than that we drank at
Irish Kevins
SLoppy Joes' ( I think)
Hard Rock Cafe
Hog's breath
and one other I forgot the name.
We were there on a cruise and only there for the evening but boy was it fun!!!!
They have these funky little car things that looked like they would be cool to tool around in also.

MsMin
07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
It's not uncommon to have 6-8"seas in Nov. The water is a little murkier and seas rougher. If you are not a certified diver there are plenty of boats to take you snorkeling. Remember the prettier stuff is in the first 30 feet. After that most turns blue due to the depth and lack of light. Problem is rougher seas make it cloudier in the shallow waters. So keep an eye on the weather for breaks and the best time to swim/dive. Eat some conch while you are down there... great Cuban food too.

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Also, check your dates too because the National Parrothead Convention (fans of Jimmy Buffett) typically falls in November in Key West. It is fun if you don't mind a bunch of crazy parrotheads running around. As for Touristy stuff make sure to do the "Ghost Tour" of Key west one evening. Have a Pirate Punch at Captain Tony's (right near Sloppy Joes) and Have a Cheeseburger in Paradise at Margaritaville. Also, breakfast is great at the Blue Moon restaraunt. Key West is a great place to relax and have fun. Check into the Southernmost Hotel too. When we used to travel with the Tampa Bay Parrothead club, we stayed there. The rooms are kinda small, but it is true Key West! Try to stay within walking distance of Duval St. That is where all the action is. There is so much history in Key West. You will have a great time!
Enjoy!
Jealous Jen

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-11-2008, 05:40 AM
FYI- I just looked up the dates and the National Parrotheads in Paradise Club's Meeting of the Minds convention is Oct. 30-Nov. 2 this year.
Enjoy!
Jen

Coach48
07-14-2008, 07:34 AM
During the drive down you should stop at The Green Turtle restaurant in Islamorada.That place has been there as long as I can remember and I've been visiting the Keys since 86.Great food,great atmosphere.

RAIDER
07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
During the drive down you should stop at The Green Turtle restaurant in Islamorada.That place has been there as long as I can remember and I've been visiting the Keys since 86.Great food,great atmosphere.

Islamorada is a great place to stay i remember a place we used to go to which was called the Whale Inn Harbour ,They did fantastic food .

I went to the Keys once a few years ago and all i remember were heaps of scooters around the place and it was difficult to park if you hadnt booked a hotel in the KEYS area :thumbsup:

sleeping beauty77
07-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey all, thanks for all the replies so far. If there are any more I'd love to hear them. :vacation:

BMan62
07-17-2008, 10:12 PM
You must have some conch fritters when you are in the Conch Republic! And remember...it is pronounced konk!!

Islamorada is a nice stop on the way down (if at night, stop in Woody's and check out the house band,) as is the north end of Seven Mile Bridge (nice place for snorkeling)