PDA

View Full Version : Bank Account Troubles

DisneyOtaku
07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I am a very poor college student who is trying to pay her way through grad school, so I need every penny I can get. So imagine my surprise when I checked my account this morning and saw an unauthorized purchase of over 60 dollars :mad:

I called the establishment only to be greeted by an answering machine. Some "Direct Connections" in Northern Georgia...and I live in Louisiana. But it seems this has been happening alot, because the message says that if I need a refund of an anauthorized purchase to send my bank statement in to them. I also went ahead and reported my card number stolen (heavens knows how they got my old number) so I got a new card on the way in over a week.

I just needed to rant a little because it's so annoying. Has anything like this happened to anyone else on Intercot before?

d_m_n_n
07-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I would check into this a little further...maybe with the state attorney general? Something where they say "send us your bank statement" says crooked all over it to me!

DisneyOtaku
07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I would check into this a little further...maybe with the state attorney general? Something where they say "send us your bank statement" says crooked all over it to me!

Well, they said send in a recipt but all I have is my bank account. And I am a little worried about that. So I'm waiting for my dad to come home on Thursday so he can call and check it out himself. If he doesn't like it either, we're heaving to my bank and see what they can do. But I had to go ahead and cancel my card--you never know.

Tick-Tock
07-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't be sending my bank statement to any company. They do not need to see your bank statement to refund an unauthorized purchase. Sounds like a phishing scam.

I would be dealing only with my bank on this.

MegaDisney
07-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I assume you didn't send them the statement.

Are you sure the charge originated on the internet?

Let your bank deal with them.

Sounds like a scam to me.

pogo
07-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Go directly to a branch of your bank and let them take care of it !
It sounds like a big time scam. :pixie: and good luck. :D

Eeyore's Pal
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I had that happen a few years ago. I just went to the bank and they took care of everything.

DisneyOtaku
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I assume you didn't send them the statement.

Are you sure the charge originated on the internet?

Let your bank deal with them.

Sounds like a scam to me.

You're right, I did not send the statement. I wanted my dad to check it out first and get his opinion, but the more I heard back from you guys, the more I'm leaning towards just going to my bank about all of this. I'll do this tomorrow (I would go today, but I have to be somewhere soon).

As for the purchase, I'm not sure if the transaction took place over the internet or not. I had gotten on-line to check my accont via my bank's webpage, to make sure a deposit I put in yesterday went through. Had I not checked my account, I would not have noticed the unauthorized purchase until the end of the month when my statement came in the mail.

disneydeb
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I noticed some unauthorized purchases from my checking account. I went straight to my bank, thinking it would be a big hassle. No Hassle, they took care of it, put money back into my account and took card of the overdraft fees it caused!:thumbsup:

Good Luck!

crazypoohbear
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
DO NOT SEND YOUR BANK STATEMENT!!!!!
Go to your bank
tell them what happened.
tell them about the message requesting your bank statement.
file and affidavit of fraud at the bank
they will handle it.
do this first thing in the morning.
DO NOT SENT ANY BANK INFORMATION EVER TO ANYONE!!!

brownie
07-09-2008, 07:21 AM
I ran a search and this company has had complaints about this and some states have filed injunctions against it. It seems to be related to SureTouch phone cards.

Dakota Rose
07-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Whatever you do, don't send them your bank statement! Then they'll have your account #! Crazypoohbear is right. Go to your bank, get an affidavit of fraud and follow their instructions. You may need to file a police report as well. And watch your checking account and credit cards VERY closely over the next few months!

DisneyOtaku
07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Went to the bank and got everything settled out :thumbsup:

I ran a search and this company has had complaints about this and some states have filed injunctions against it. It seems to be related to SureTouch phone cards.

I tried doing an search from the company, but I got nothing but random pages. I thank you somuch for the help! However, this just makes me more curious as I have no connection to SureTouch phone cards (I use AT&T international cards since my BF lives in S.Korea, but that's it).

I just searched for the SureTouch cards and people are having the same problem I am having--same amount withdrawn as well (it was three different withdrawls for the same amount on my card).

Thank you all for your help! I will be sure to report this.

Dsnygirl
07-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Sorry to hear you are going through this -- I had something similar happen right before Christmas but with three different companies -- very, very frustrating! But you did the right thing going straight to your bank... I'm so glad they've gotten it straightened out and are investigating this company. So many scams out there right now -- good thing you listened to your intinct on this one, and a good warning for all of us! :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I'd also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. You can do this right on line. I'm glad your bank took care of everything for you. I pretty much check my bank account on a daily basis. With on line banking it is easy enough to keep track of everything and act on anything suspicious right away.

KineGirl
07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Yep Ive had that happen too and watta pain the booty it is! The same company tapped our card 3 weeks in a row. We finally had our bank put a "block" on that company, changed our card and reported them to BBB

Marilyn Michetti
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I've never had it happen to me, but "ditto" to all of the above, plus this: Get yourself a shredder, and chop up EVERYTHING that comes in the mail that isn't a bill or a love letter. Even the "empty" pages on a store revolving charge, have numbers printed at the bottom of the page. If you live somewhere that has you put your trash on the curb, there are crooks that will grab bags and go through them for any kind of ##'s:thedolls:

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!

MsMin
07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Go directly to a branch of your bank and let them take care of it !
It sounds like a big time scam. :pixie: and good luck. :D

ditto... your bank should be able to take care of it. I'm in Louisiana too what school?
I had 1600 charged to my card once and the bank took care of all of it. They can reverse the charges.. good luck with it...

Marilyn Michetti
07-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I got bumped off while I was replying, so I'm going to condense it.

GET A SHREDDER - there are creeps that will steal your trash to get ##'s:mad:

Good luck !!!!!

DisneyOtaku
07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=MsMin;1683047]ditto... your bank should be able to take care of it. I'm in Louisiana too what school? QUOTE]

I'm heading off to ULL this fall for grad studies in English Lit. I'm so excited!

And thanks guys for telling me about filing a complaint online. I will most certainly do that!

tink'72
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I would call the bank and keep pounding out until you get a person. I would not send in your statement. I work at a bank in Massachusetts and in Mass. we have 10 days to give the customer provisional credit. The issue is researched and the transaction is found to be fraud you are all set. If the transaction is found to be a transaction you authorized the bank will then pull back the credit. I would definatly call back. See if you can speak to someone in a branch. I know this is a very frustrating situation that I deal with on a daily basis and I feel for you.