PDA

View Full Version : BC/YC experts- please help!

tinkerbelle75
07-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Staying at the YC for the first time July 26 and was wondering what would be the quickest way to get to MGM....oh sorry, I mean DHS. Also , any other tips you can offer me on YC would be great! Thanks in advance!
18 days to go!!:cloud9:

ThanxForNoticin
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
It's approximately a 15-20 minute walk or 15-20 minute boat ride to DHS. If you walk, go toward the Swan/Dolphin, past the BW, and follow the path to DHS. You can also catch the Friendship, but make sure it's the one heading toward DHS and not EPCOT first.

TammiMcMan
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
If you truly mean you need to get there in a hurry from your resort, then I think actually a taxi would be fastest, as you get door to door drop off. If you just mean walking versus the boat, that will depend on a few factors. For example, how quickly does your group walk and is the HS boat at the dock or will you have to wait for it. The wait can be 10-15 minutes, depending on the number of boats running, plus the 10-15 minute ride.

JayCT
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
We have stayed at YC several times and have walked from YC to DHS but it is a bit of a hike in the heat. I would suggest taking the boat. Jay

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I'd say the boat as well unless it's early in the morning or very cool out. It's about twice as far (or more) than it is to get to Epcot. Epcot's a quick walk. The boat ride is nice and relaxing too.

tinkerbelle75
07-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I asked because i'd like to get there early to ride TSMM before the crowd gets there. How early does the boat run?

RALPH
07-09-2008, 07:07 AM
I did it once in May, walking to the DHS. It was cloudy and 84 degrees. In July with the high heat and humidity it would be uncomfortable unless you took a very slow pace.

I'm not sure what time the friendship boats start running, but i would think they could get you there for park opening.

DisneyMomx7
07-09-2008, 08:09 AM
The boats start running about an hour before opening. DH has walked from YC to MGM but the kids and I always take the boat. The heat and humidity of July keep us away from walking.

We'll be at BC July 22-30!

moe513
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Keep in mind there is no BUS to DHS or EPCOT from the YC.

bkfree
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
We LOVE the YC and so will you. I cannot imagine needing a Taxi from there to get to DHS. The boat ride took us exactly 8 minutes. We timed it after reading here that it took a long time. When we were there , YC was the last pick up before heading to DHS and the first drop off when heading back.
It was great and very relaxing. We never walked the path because the boat was so quick and my kids loved it.

Mackflava99
07-09-2008, 12:26 PM
i was there 2 weeks ago-
boat is pretty good- but the walk isnt bad-

i walked one morning and it was freat-
i took the boat home and it was slow- i actually got off at the Swan/Dolphin and walked back and beat the boat-

but all that aside, the boat is a nice ride and better than a bus

Maleficent's Dad
07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
When we were there , YC was the last pick up before heading to DHS and the first drop off when heading back.
Note that this is very unusual. The normal route heading TO DHS is:
1. EPCOT
2. BW
3. YC/BC
4. Swan/Dolphin
5. DHS
Reverse order for ride back.

I'm not sure why they skipped the Swan and Dolphin on your trip. Normally that resort is the last stop before DHS.

tinkerbelle75
07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Keep in mind there is no BUS to DHS or EPCOT from the YC.

Thanks for that, Moe!! I am glad you told me!:rocks:

Crow
07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
great location for DHS & Epcot.
in July the heat might b a factor
but i usually walk several times a trip Epcot-DHS, sometimes i take the boat.
its a nice walk

TammiMcMan
07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
We LOVE the YC and so will you. I cannot imagine needing a Taxi from there to get to DHS.In most situations, you don't. I just wasn't sure if the OP truly needed the fastest option, or was just comparing walking to taking the boat.

jefmblrd
07-10-2008, 02:27 PM
The Beach Club is our DVC home resort, and although we have walked to DHS in the past, we usually take the boat. My feeling is that we're going to be racking up the miles in the park, so why walk when you can take a nice boat ride.

bruin1344
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
i did the walk once from BC to MGM, not too bad but rather take the boat because we will do enough walking at mgm, the walk to prob a little quicker than the boat because of the stops

bkfree
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Could be that it did not go to the Swan etc after picking us up at YC was because no one was waiting. It seemed if no one was waiting they did not travel over to that stop.

It also seemed that most people walked to DHS, so there were very few of us on the boat to and from DHS.
More seemed to ride the Friendship to Epcot for some reason.
We always walked to Epcot.

Also we were there in Jan during value season so the crowd level was very low. I am sure it is different when the crowds are high.

Goes4FastPass
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Often on this board when getting from BC/YC/BW/S&D we hear, "Just walk!...great exercise... hop skip and a jump... very plesant..."

OK but how far is the walk from the main gate at DHS to the entrance of Lights, Camera, Action!?

My point is a WDW vacation includes a ton of walking. We enjoy the EPCOT to DHS boat. It's a chance to rest you feet and enjoy the ride.

PS: To kids, riding the boat is an attraction itself.

RALPH
07-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I agree with taking the boat and saving some miles on those dogs of yours. That is a lot of waliking on a WDW trip, and it saves the wear and tear.

Gusgus
07-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes it's hot but we usually walk. We usually beat the boat when we do although not by too much. If you are leaving Fantasmic! and there is a long wait for the boat I would walk if the youngin's are up to it.

Another good thing in case you are not aware... the walk between the YC and DHS burns off ALL of the calories of a large Sundae at beaches and Cream. Yes.. that's it... 1 walk from DHS and I can burn all of the calories of a No Way Jose Sundae

tinkerbelle75
07-13-2008, 01:02 AM
So where do we need to walk to get rid of that BNC kitchen sink????:thedolls:

jonahbear2006
07-13-2008, 01:15 AM
haha, i love that dessert. I want to make one at home for my friends but you know its cheaper to buy it at BNC than to make it at home? It is a scrapbook page! I think that is the best part is taking pictures and showing it off. I would recommend not eating all of that by yourself. Not sure there is anywhere you can walk to get all that off. belly ache city, that's where you go!