PDA

View Full Version : Amazing story about POR vs POFQ Please read and give advice

BraddyB
07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi guys and gals have a question for ya.

I was in a local disney store at the mall today and while talking to the sales lady she asked where we were staying. We said POR and she went on about how bad it is. That we made a wrong choice and that POFQ is a much better place to stay. Since its quieter and easier to get a bus. We are headed down in October for our honeymoon. My first question is....is the lady right??? My second question is should she be putting down another resort since she is a Disney employee??? And here is the caketopper to the story......should said If i was you, I would see if there is anyway you can change your hotel now because you arent going to be happy with it at all !!!!!!! Just looking for some feedback be honest because she sure didnt hold back. I was about to ask if my dinner adr's were ok with her too !!!!!!!!

Simbajr4ever
07-07-2008, 10:31 PM
WOW, no I don't think disney would be happy with an employee sprouting off about resorts.... .
But, in my opionion, we love pors. I guess it is what appeals to you. yes it is more spread out than fg, but it has more bus stops, more pools, I actually prefer old man island to fq's main (only) pool. I love the look of the mansion buildings, love the look of the bayou's rooms. It is homey and very family orientated. But then again, I have also been there childless. If walking is an issue, you might want to request a building or room section, and tell the cm that it is extrememly important due to ..... issues.... .
Really thou, everyone has favorites, or bad experiences somewhere. We do:secret: but all you can do is pick which appeals most to you, and if there are issues or problems, politely request a change or a fix (change) to a problem.:thumbsup:

Almost forgot, I am staying at CR what did she think of that? Do you have a phone number I can call and ask her? just kidding.

happy hunting, sj

Marceline
07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Oh my goodness, that was pretty rude and out of line. Okay maybe it was just tactless, she could have just mentioned that she loved POFQ and left it alone.

Don't worry though, I believe your choice is sound. My sister and her hubby spent their honeymoon there and absolutely fell in love with the place.:thumbsup: They loved the grounds, the river, the genteel southern feel and she has a particular fondness for the Old Mill.
From what I can tell POR is a great place for honeymooners, couples and lovebirds of all sorts.

Funforall
07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
We've stayed at both and would love to stay at either again very soon. Don't worry at all. You will love whichever resort you choose.

Madame Leona
07-07-2008, 11:03 PM
We have stayed at both and I like them both. I though POFQ was easier with a little one but POR wouldn't be difficult by any stretch. It is just a little more walking. I wouldn't worry. Some people have very strong opinions and feel that they are always right. (DH would tell you this is me!) She may have thought she was helping you. I always feel people should form there own opinion on things. Keep your original plan and have a great time.

deedeebee
07-07-2008, 11:14 PM
We have been to POR 4 times and have enjoyed each visit. We are a family of five and this resort offers something for each one of us from the riverside mill to entertainment, the satellite pools and plenty of bus stops. It is true that each person has their own tastes but this is the only moderate hotel we would stay at and We would recommend this hotel to anyone. One our biggest considerations when choosing a hotel is reading reviews and seeing whether the reviewer WOULD STAY THERE AGAIN, and we are staying there in Sept.

ibrowse17
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
We have stayed at, and enjoyed, both resorts. While I agree that POFQ is smaller and easier to get around in, POR is a well themed resort that has a lot to offer. You can not go wrong with either:thumbsup:

CleveRocks
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Don't worry about the Wicked Witch of the Mall.

Different people have different tastes. Evidently, she doesn't recognize this, and thinks that her opinion is fact rather than opinion.

POR has many many people who think it's the best place. Don't worry ... I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!!!

chefmickey3
07-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Everyone has their opinion...we love POR. As you can see from my signature we have stayed there numerous times and would again but we joined DVC. The resort is beautiful and for the two of you the walking should not be a concern. The mansions are so majestic...perfect for a honeymoon. Don't be influenced by that CM. We prefer the theming to POFQ - just does nothing for us. But again, everyone has their opinion!

Minnie Imagineer
07-08-2008, 07:42 AM
well I haven't stayed at PO or POFQ :( , but that is horrible for her to say that! at my DS, we have the nicest CM's (I don't work there...I just go a lot!)

CanadianWDWFan
07-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I agree with everyone, that POR and POFQ are both just fine. We like them both, but we do have a preference and it is POFQ.

There is nothing wrong with POR. Go and enjoy your stay and don't worry what someone else told you. Find out first hand!

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-08-2008, 07:47 AM
We have stayed at POR for our last 5 trips....LOVE it!!!
We are staying there in September again. I prefer the mansions. I considered staying at PORFQ but I was afraid I would miss POR too much. I love the quiet pools, sometimes we were the only ones there!
Have a great trip, and congratuations on your honeymoon:mickey:

pox24
07-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Pay no attention. These are wonderful places to stay. I 'm returning to POFQ in Sept. and can't wait.:thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-08-2008, 10:15 AM
That is just horrible!

Don't let her worry you at all!

We spent our honeymoon and POR and we loved it! The resort is just beautiful, completely beautiful. We hardly heard a noise the whole time we were there, and felt like we were actually down in the Bayou.

We enjoyed having the quiet pools, so we didn't have to go to the main one too often. We had a quiet pool right behind our building.

We loved wandering the paths (and seeing the lizards). Busses were never an issue. It is true that FQ gets on first, but we still never waited too long, and we even got a seat almost every time!

We have stayed in FQ the last couple of trips, because DH has decided he likes the theming better, but I would stay at POR again in a heartbeat.

Have an awesome trip:thumbsup:

brownie
07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
As far as being a Disney employee, remember that Disney just took over the Disney Stores again, so she was really an employee of Children's Place until recently.

The resorts are all different and your experiences will differ at the different resorts, and even at the same resort on different trips. She may be basing her opinion on a single stay at Port Orleans Riverside, or maybe she's never even stayed at either one (the original post doesn't indicate one way or the other, if it's known.)

We've stayed at both Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside. I found French Quarter quieter. I think it's smaller, so that probably plays a part. I know we were able to park closer to our room at French Quarter. The drawback for me was only having one pool option, although you can use Riverside's pools. I found the food options to be better at Riverside, and the main pool was not as crowded as French Quarter's pool. The rooms are pretty much the same. We had a rental car for both stays, so I can't tell you about the transportation.

I would not make any changes to your plans. I've heard mostly good feedback from people staying at Riverside. I wouldn't let a local Disney Store employee who may not have even stayed at either of these resorts question your decisions.

ToraTory
07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I've stayed at both and I like them equally. Actually Piano Bob alone could tilt the difference for POR. You must, must, must see Piano Bob (http://www.yehaabob.com/Page5.asp). Yehaa!

Keep your ressies, you will have a blast! -- tory

amd780
07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
DH and I stayed at POR last year and loved it. It's such a beautiful, quiet resort - it was wonderful to go back to the peace and quiet of the resort in the middle of the day to take a break and recharge. Don't worry about your reservations - I honestly don't know why that lady would say that POR was horrible! I'm sure you will love it there. :mickey:

GAN
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I've stayed at both and I like them equally. Actually Piano Bob alone could tilt the difference for POR. You must, must, must see Piano Bob (http://www.yehaabob.com/Page5.asp). Yehaa!

Keep your ressies, you will have a blast! -- tory

I absolutely agree. This is the main reason we will be staying at POR for a few days before heading over to AKV for the rest of our stay. It's a great family show!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I've only stayed at POR for one night a few years ago but thought it was a beautiful resort. And you get the best of both worlds because you can use the facilities at POFQ too, We walked back & forth between the two resorts and it wasn't a big hike.
You are going to get people complaining about anything just to complain. And the majority of the reviews I've read, on this site and others, have been very positive except for one or two people. And I'll bet the complain when they go out to dinner or to the movies or..... You get my point.
Keep your reservations and go enjoy yourself.

crazypoohbear
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Piano Bob looks like fun.
Is he in a lounge/bar
Restaurant or lobby???
Is he there every night?

andmomlau
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
How terrible for her to say that to you, especially since she already knew you were staying at PO. We have stayed there 3 times in the past and are staying there again in August with our DD who is 20 years old and her friend. We got 2 rooms this time and we would certainly never have done that if we disliked the resort. We have also stayed at Poly, WL and BC so we do have other resorts to compare to. I think PO is a better choice for your honeymoon...quiet, spread out, beautiful landscaping and buildings..................you will love it. Some people make statements like that just to hear themselves speak and don't care about anyone else! Go, have a wonderful time, enjoy your honeymoon and then go back to her at the mall and tell her how absolutely wrong she was!!:thumbsup:

Aurora
07-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Sounds like she had an agenda to me. Why? Who knows?

My DH, 3 kids and I stayed in the Alligator Bayou section of POR last month for a day on both sides of our weeklong stay at the Boardwalk. My parents own DVC so we paid nothing for the Boardwalk villas. But my DH loved POR so much that he said he wants to stay there next time for the whole trip and pay for it ourselves. So that must tell you something.

I thought it was an absolutely beautiful resort -- very lush and visually interesting, with good food choices for our family, and a GREAT gift shop, one of the best I've seen at any Disney resort. Yes, the walks can be long, but so what? You don't sit around all day at Disney World.

We've stayed at all the deluxes except for the Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom Lodge, and we would definitely stay at POR again.

beavdisfan
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
we stayed at riverside in 2007 and fq in 2008.
they are both wonderful resorts. riverside is bigger and has more food selection a larger pool and larger shop. the walk from the farthest buildings to the food court in riversdie canbe very long, up 10 mins. fq is smaller, quieter and has better bus service in that the bus stops there first so you always have a seat.
we were a group of 14 the first year and 17 the second. not one of us had a problem of any kind.
we are alredy planning the next family Dis vacation and will be looking at fq again.
with a group that large and a lot of kids building 5 in fq overlooking the pool is perfect.
have a great trip
Wings Fan

BraddyB
07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
we stayed at riverside in 2007 and fq in 2008.
they are both wonderful resorts. riverside is bigger and has more food selection a larger pool and larger shop. the walk from the farthest buildings to the food court in riversdie canbe very long, up 10 mins. fq is smaller, quieter and has better bus service in that the bus stops there first so you always have a seat.
we were a group of 14 the first year and 17 the second. not one of us had a problem of any kind.
we are alredy planning the next family Dis vacation and will be looking at fq again.
with a group that large and a lot of kids building 5 in fq overlooking the pool is perfect.
have a great trip
Wings Fan

Thanks for the help but
Wings Fan :ack::penguin:;)

GAN
07-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Piano Bob looks like fun.
Is he in a lounge/bar
Restaurant or lobby???
Is he there every night?

Bob performs in the River Roost @ POR. It is a lounge/restaurant, but very family oriented although they do serve alcohol. He does not perform every night, although his schedule changes he is usually there Wed -Sat's. If you search a certain video broadcast site you may get a better idea of his show -he is also known as yehaa bob.

Grace
07-09-2008, 04:13 PM
:mickey: Now now, don't let her get to ya. POR is our sentimental favorite- it's very romantic, filled with shady paths, ponds, quiet pools, and cozy gazebos. It does have a sit-down restaurant (Boatwrights), while FQ does not. But if you get there and don't care for POR, just ask Services if you can switch. They may be able to do that easily.

P.S. Aurora, we are also DVC members, but STILL go back to stay at POR! :thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
This re-proves 2 things:

1. Opinions are like belly-buttons; everybody's got one but they don't serve much of a purpose.

2. You don't have to be Disney World expert to work in a Disney Store.

busterthebronco
07-09-2008, 07:09 PM
she's probably just mad they changed the name from dixie landings (i am! :))

#1donaldfan
07-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Please don't worry at all !!!! We have always stayed at POR AB and absolutley love it....there are so many reasons to love our little "home away from home"....food, busses, rooms, mousekeeping....laid back, relaxing feel.....I could go on for hours .......

....if it were me, and after the great trip your gonna have, I'd go back and find this EVIL person and tell 'em how wrong they were, and that you had a great time and would recommend it to anyone.....!!!!!:mickey:

Tinkerbella16
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Please do not believe anything that woman said to you. I am shocked! I stayed there for the first time last november, and it is my favorite resort so far on property. I love it. This year we are trying FQ because it is smaller in size. POR is a gorgeous hotel. The boat to DTD is very relaxing and nice to get away from the busses for once. You will not be disappointed with POR. I have stayed at all the mods and values except FQ, and POR is my favorite out of all of them. :thumbsup:

Gator
07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
I know I didn't like it that much. Had we been put in the mansions, I would've been OK mostly. But the Aligator Bayou sections is lousy - like an apartment complex in south Austin. And we got put there. On top of the bad accomodations, the bus service was unsatisfactory (putting it nicely). CBR and CSR are way better, IMHO.

garymacd
07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
We have stayed at, and enjoyed, both resorts. While I agree that POFQ is smaller and easier to get around in, POR is a well themed resort that has a lot to offer. You can not go wrong with either:thumbsup:

I agree completely. Both are very nice, with edge for us given to POFQ due to size and decor.

They both have beignets, so who cares?

Nurse Kim
07-12-2008, 11:14 AM
We haven't stayed at either resort since we have only been to WDW once but we did visit POR during our March 2008 visit. It was beautiful and we are staying there for our March 2009 trip. We thought about staying at the Poly or AKV but figured why pay the extra money if we won't be at the resort much anyway. I am sure you will enjoy the resort.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
:nono: I agree with another intercotee who said that was probably before Disney took them back over....I don't know any CM personally but my friend's sister was Meg at DH. She talked about how Disney stresses Customer Service and being positive....that would've been a big nono with them to slam any Disney property....