PDA

View Full Version : Baby at the vets for hours....Baby is a dog.

jrkcr
07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
My dog Baby has thrown up 2 times in the last week. Always in the late morning, and it's just half digested dog food. She goes all night w/o food, eats breakfast around 7 or 8. Then throws up a couple of hours later. We haven't changed dog food, or her treats. Same diet for months. She does get people food, but only a few bites at dinner and sometimes an over-easy egg yolk.
Is that something I should worry about, or do dogs just do that? Should I wait and see if she continues-do dogs get stomach bugs? :confused:

Of course I steam cleaned all my light beige carpets the last week of June!! :mad:

murphy1
07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, our fur babies get viruses, in fact my vet told me that they can get stuff easier than we do. I have had pets have colds and be sneezy too. Just make sure he gets lots of water and rests. My cats throw up as a result of hair balls moreso than a virus. Hope he feels better soon! If it persists for more than a few days, call your vet.

MMouse6937
07-07-2008, 03:22 PM
All animals do that from time to time. The most important thing is to be aware of their behavior. If they seem lethargic, mopey, not themselves, they could be sick. Sometimes they may just be sick to their stomachs and like us have to get rid of what's in there. Cats are more prone to vomiting than dogs, so if it persists I would take her to the vet and make sure there isn't an underlying cause. Good luck to you and your Baby. :puppy:

kakn7294
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
It could be that your dog eats too much too fast. I think from your post that you feed her just once per day - maybe break up the amount of food you feed daily into 2 meals. Our dog eats first thing in the am and again when we eat dinner. You may also want to still consider that the culprit could be the food. With the price of gas rising, manufacturers are using the cheapest possible ingredients and even if you didn't change her food, the manufacturer could have. Some dogs have food allergies as well - my dog can't eat any lamb - she vomits from it. If it gets worse or doesn't get better in a few days, contact your vet. You could also consider putting your dog on a bland diet for a few days - soft cooked rice and cooked ground chicken or very lean ground beef are good. Good luck!

A Mouse Fan
07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I have to agree with the above posts...try feeding her 2-3 times a day in smaller amounts...it sounds like she is just eating so fast because she is probably REALLY hungry and then :ack: it up! If it continues I would take her to your vet as your dog may have a sensitive stomach and need special dog food. I have had to start feeding mine Purina E/N (prescription dog food) because of her sensitive stomach. It's more expensive but it has saved my carpets!!! No more :sick: well you get the idea!!!

Tinkerfreak
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Is she going to the bathroom ok? When my dog had swallowed a rock and had a blockage she would throw up a few hours after eating because nothing could pass. Has she swallowed anything she should not have?

Marilyn Michetti
07-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Are you still in Nevada? Hot, dry ? Our Chow gets spells like that from dehydrating. Vet says "take away dry food, and go with boiled chicken and rice". Lots of water.

God bless Baby:puppy:

jrkcr
07-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, thanks for everyones suggestions about Baby throwing up. Yes, we're in Nevada-so I'll try getting her to drink more water. I know we humans are always on the verge of dehydration and are always guzzling h2o here in the desert!! And if that doesn't help, we'll change to a different brand of food.

BUT-today I was gone for about 5 hours, and BABY ATE CHOCOLATE!!! Dark chocolate- the worst kind for a dog! About a bar and a half of Ghirardelli, with raspberry, and one with almonds. At least she has good taste!

Of course I immediately took her to the vet. I was so worried-I haven't loved a pet like this EVER-I call her "my shadow" cause she follows me so closely when I turn around I fall over her!! She had thrown up twice at home while I was gone, and was acting ok..but I know how serious chocolate is for dogs. The vet made her throw up again-most of the chocolate was already gone, and they tested her blood. Luckily she is such a BIG dog, so she can stand a larger dose of chocolate. I mentioned that she was already having problems throwing up. But with all the excitement of the chocolate, I forgot to get any advice about her regular problem of throwing up! :doh:
Anyway, she is sound asleep now. She has to take Carafate and Pepcid AC for a few days.

Any PD4D would be appreciated!
(pixie dust 4 dogs)

tinkerbell04
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Oh no! Here is some :pixie: for your dog! I hope she is feeling better soon :)

Marilyn Michetti
07-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh my goodness. When our basset, Bentley first moved in with us from the pound, he ate four little gift bags of coffee grounds. He spent the night in emergency hooked up to I.V's and a monitor, (after they made him "give up coffee)". The vet said, "they don't learn, so you better".

Again, I hope Baby will be fine.

P.S. Somebody thought he was a real baby???:D Now THAT'S funny !:rotfl::funny:

jrkcr
07-08-2008, 02:31 AM
No, no one on here had thought that she was a real baby....I just know from experience that the name can be confusing! So I wanted to point out from the start that she is a canine!

Baby is feeling much better, playing hide n seek with her pink tennis ball, "talking", and wanting to wrestle me. But I am not wrestling with her or letting her run after the ball. I want her to take it easy for a day or two!

She's been napping alot this evening, and she is ready for me to get to bed. She won't go till I go!
:heart:

DisneyDog
07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
My Tango often threw up in the morning, but it was before he ate. Having an empty stomach made him sick.

My Sneakers used to eat waaay to fast. He would start hyperventilating. I had to put a big rock in the middle of his food so that he would eat more slowly.

Sometimes dogs have trouble if their bowl is too low. You said Baby is a big dog. Perhaps you should look into getting one of those bowl stands that makes the bowl higher up off of the floor. That might help with digestion.

Maybe Baby has reflux. Maybe the pepcid will help.

Stitchahula
07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
You've already received some good advice. I like a raised feeding watering table, they say it's better for the dog. I find it easier because they can't push the bowls across the room or walk off with them somewhere. If baby is inhaling her food maybe she is getting to much air and that is making her throw up. I would call your vet and ask. They might have you put baby on a bland diet boiled hamburger and rice is usually what they recommend. Dogs do sometimes just get upset tummy's for what seems to be no reason at all. Call your vet though and see what they suggest.

azdisneymom
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Glad to hear Baby is doing better. My baby is a 100# Rottie. The day after we brought her home we found out she had Parvo. That was over a year ago and she still has a bit of a sensitive stomach. When she is not feeling well I give her ground, cooked chicken and rice. If really bad I will add a snack of plain yogurt. The vet approved both. Now she will throw up very rarely, and usually only when she eats something that is a no no - tissues, toilet paper (off the roll, thank you), socks and once the stuffing from a pillow. She does what you describe in your first post. She will appear just fine, eat and then a couple hours later vomit. You might keep an eye on 'snacking' on things other than chocolate bars. Best wishes.

jrkcr
07-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Thank you all so much for this advice!! She does lay down to eat, we just thought it was funny. But maybe she really needs her food up higher, so I will get her a "table" tomorrow!

I made sure she had plenty of water all day today. She likes to drink from a cup, so I kept her hydrated when we were out today. I use to carry around a frisbee and turn it upside down to pour water in it, but she didn't like that. She likes cups! :confused:

And so far today-no throwing up!! :thumbsup: So yep, maybe the pepcid is helping her. If it starts back after she is done with her meds, I'll ask the vet!!

Baby and I thank you all!! :thanks: