PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many character meals is enough?

Madame Leona
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
After reading about two character meals being discontinued, I was wondering how many character meals are enough. My thought is, the more the better. I would rather eat and see characters at the same time than stand in line to see a character. What are your thoughts on this?
*This is just for the general number of character meals, not the specifics of the discontinued character meals. I just don't want the threads to be merged.

buzznwoodysmom
07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I voted that there should be more. At least there should be more for boys. I have two boys who love going to the character meals, but are getting a little board with what is offered for them now. They don't really like standing in long lines for autographs so they really enjoy getting them during a character meal. I for one, would love to see any of the following character meals: Toy Story meal with Woody, Buzz and the gang, Heros meal with Buzz, Peter Pan and other favorite boy characters, a Peter Pan meal with Peter, Wendy, Captain Hook and Mr. Smee, or a pirates meal with Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Jack Sparrow and other pirates. I think any of these character meals would do extremely well and then little boys would have something special for them to do in WDW!

SBETigg
07-07-2008, 06:55 PM
We'll do one character meal or less per trip, but my kids are older teens. They were great when the kids were younger, and even now, we enjoy them every now and then. It's a great way to have a meal and some quality character interaction, without having to line up and lose attraction time for it. I think Disney had just enough character meals, but I wouldn't even mind if they had more. It's a shame to hear they may be cutting back on them. We have plenty of dining options that are character-free.

Melanie
07-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I voted that there should be more. At least there should be more for boys. I have two boys who love going to the character meals, but are getting a little board with what is offered for them now. They don't really like standing in long lines for autographs so they really enjoy getting them during a character meal. I for one, would love to see any of the following character meals: Toy Story meal with Woody, Buzz and the gang, Heros meal with Buzz, Peter Pan and other favorite boy characters, a Peter Pan meal with Peter, Wendy, Captain Hook and Mr. Smee, or a pirates meal with Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Jack Sparrow and other pirates. I think any of these character meals would do extremely well and then little boys would have something special for them to do in WDW!

Ditto! I think we've always agreed on this, Denise.

So vote more characters meals, with a *.

*More geared towards boys!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-07-2008, 09:13 PM
WOuld love to see more! WOuld love a Star Wars character meal, A Villian meal, or a "Classics" meal (Lady & Tramp, Rescuers, Peter Pan& Team, ) Would also love to see a PIXAR meal... Sully & mike, Toy Story characters, etc...

KAT1811
07-07-2008, 09:18 PM
I also said that I wished there were more character meals. I too like to see them while I dine rather than spend valuable touring time in line just to get cut off two from the front of the line.

I miss the villians meal they used to have at 1900 Park Fare. When we started doing 1900 there were some great characters, Captain Hook and the gang, Cruella Deville, Gov. Radcliff, OMG Ican;t think of the bad guy from Hunchback's name :confused:. Going to drive me carzy until I remember. Anyway they had some great characters, I miss it.

I agree that there should be more dining options geared towards boys, there are a ton of characters they could work with. (And that's coming from a mother of 3 girls)!

wendy*darling
07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
OMG Ican;t think of the bad guy from Hunchback's name :confused:. Going to drive me carzy until I remember.
That would be Frollo! ;)
And I agree- that was a great meal. But I remember hearing that they discontinued it because it was too frightening for young children. WHY do parents of little kids push them into these types of situations? :confused:

I also vote for more character meals- and I think the ideas for Heros, Classics, Pirates, Pixar, etc are all wonderful.
My 2 boys are now 18 & 21, but we still do at least one character meal each trip!

Madame Leona
07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Great responses! I agree with something geared more towards the boys. I have two boys (the oldest is 2) and we don't have an intrest in the princess dining.
On a side note, I would like to hear from some of the people who would like to see less character dining. I like to look at things from both perspectives but I'm having trouble with the other side on this one. Thanks in advance if you choose to post.

Hammer
07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Great responses! I agree with something geared more towards the boys. I have two boys (the oldest is 2) and we don't have an intrest in the princess dining.
On a side note, I would like to hear from some of the people who would like to see less character dining. I like to look at things from both perspectives but I'm having trouble with the other side on this one. Thanks in advance if you choose to post.

Well, with the changes to the character meal offerings in the Magic Kingdom, I'll say there are enough character meals. My sister and I only do 1 character meal (Crystal Palace- lunch or dinner) and that isn't even every trip. The quality and variety of the food offerings is the most important thing to us and I feel the food for the most part isn't as good at the character meals. It will be nice to have an additional non-character option in the Magic Kingdom for dinner as we almost always leave the park for dinner.

KAT1811
07-07-2008, 11:39 PM
That would be Frollo! ;)

Thank you! Now I can go to sleep without dreaming of Hunchback all night! :sleepin:

Camping Mom
07-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Ok, this is going to sound blasphemous....I don't have to have characters at my meals. My kids, too, are older and don't get into having their picture taken with characters anymore...at least the ones who come around. There are too many meals that have the same characters. I agree with more "BOY" characters or at least different ones...not just Mickey, MInnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Pooh and his friends.

Would love more who talk to us...I like the Norway breakfast because it is a chance for the boys to get a pic with the girls and they talk to them...not just Pooh...sorry Pooh!

BritCody
07-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I voted for more. I would like to see two thing. One more variety in the characters and not just the Fab 5, Princesses or Winnie the Pooh and friends. Plus how about something for the boys in the crowd. Star Wars, Pirates etc

Minnie Imagineer
07-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I would love to see MORE characeter meals!

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, I'm really a blasphemer, I would like to see less. But for a specific reason, we don't always want the interaction, sometimes you'd like to just sit back and watch or just have a quiet lunch or dinner. But the characters won't leave you alone. So, the number of places actually really reduces where you can go.

Then there are places like Akershus. A great restaurant, but we don't have any little princesses and wouldn't be comfortable with that so, we've had to write off that place.

So the reason, character dining should not mean that dining in the restaurant can be a less pleasuraeble experience for some people and they have to find a way to let some folks say they don't want to be involved with the characters when they choose.

kadesha
07-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I voted more. (especially at Epcot )

I also see the need for more TS meals. (except at Epcot!)

:)

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
WOuld love to see more! WOuld love a Star Wars character meal, A Villian meal, or a "Classics" meal (Lady & Tramp, Rescuers, Peter Pan& Team, ) Would also love to see a PIXAR meal... Sully & mike, Toy Story characters, etc...

I voted more character meals too!

I agree it would be great to have a Star Wars meal (my DH would love that), Villians, Classics and Pixar are all great ideas.

I'd also like to see them do character dining in some of the countries. Like in France have one that rotates out all of the character from movies that took place in France.

My DH and I don't have any children yet but we still love to do the character dining. I hate to see them get rid of any of them. Aren't the characters one of the main reasons to come to Disney?

KAT1811
07-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, I'm really a blasphemer, I would like to see less. But for a specific reason, we don't always want the interaction, sometimes you'd like to just sit back and watch or just have a quiet lunch or dinner. But the characters won't leave you alone. So, the number of places actually really reduces where you can go.

What about if they kept the characters at these restaurants and make a place card for tables that would prefer the characters left them alone? Would something like that work for you or would you still rather skip the restaurant entirely? Or maybe a characterless table area? Just curious.

Donald Duck 001
07-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree with what most people are saying. We could use a few more but lets get some different characters. I deffinately liked the Monsters Inc. thought some one had stated. Some characters they can choose from the 7 dwarfs (besides Grumpy), the Robin Hood charcters, Donald's Nephews, and of course the Disney Villians would be a slam dunk.:mickey:

laward32
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I would like to see more. I have two girls, but I do agree they don't have enough for boys. My girls would love a Toy Story meal, a Peter Pan meal, a Star Wars meal and a Pirates meal. They love them all and would love to meet them. We've met Woody and Buzz, but haven't met Peter Pan and Wendy and haven't met any Star Wars characters or Jack Sparrow.:mickey:

Deesdisney
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I would like to see different characters. Also I would love to see the villans. I think a rest. with the them of the Haunted Mansion with fun meals and Villans. I would love to see something like that.

Mackflava99
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
We need more character meals- but we also need more VARIETY - newer fresher faces, more turnover-
as much as i love chip and dale- we see them 4 times a trip-
maybe some villians
or some boy oriented ones.

Breakfast with Jafar and scar sounds so nice for Morocco-
or Fireside lunch with Malificent and Hades !!

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2008, 04:11 PM
What about if they kept the characters at these restaurants and make a place card for tables that would prefer the characters left them alone? Would something like that work for you or would you still rather skip the restaurant entirely? Or maybe a characterless table area? Just curious.

Skipping the restaurant is really not what its about for us. BUt something like a no characters place card is a good idea. Then you could choose to not interact but still enjoy the show. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind character interaction I would just like to go to some of these places and not have them come over automatically. Its really just about providing choice when you need it.

Young@Heart
07-09-2008, 12:50 AM
There NEEDS to be a villains meal! If they announced one, I know DH would have me on the phone booking an ADR and a resort ressie that same day!

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I could not agree more. I have two girls so the princesses are great and the fab 5 are great. We even love the POOH characters but a little more variety would be great especially for frequent visitors to the World.

lockedoutlogic
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
they should keep chef mickey's.....ohana....and park fare.....

cape may is also a keeper....

i don't think they should have character meals in parks....there are too many people in parks to have the restaurants bogged down by character meals.....

if anyone wants a character meal....they are more than welcome to exit the park to go to one in close proximity....as all the others are....

i would also think they should add one to downtown or saratoga......which would expand the offerings.....

crystal palace, cinderella's, hollywood and vine, and restaurantosaurus can go whenever they feel the urge....in my book....

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
We need more character meals- but we also need more VARIETY - newer fresher faces, more turnover-
[

I agree exactly!! I'm voting "more", but specifically I would suggest some changes and variety. Adding the Stepsisters to 1900 Park Fare is a good example. Gives us a reason to go back and do it again. I echo many of you who are suggesting Peter Pan, Wendy, Toy Story, etc. Something for BOYS!! :mickey:

jonahbear2006
07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree that there needs to be more for the boys; woody and buzz breakfast; bring in the soldiers and the roundup. But, I don't think Disney needs more character meals. I think that the Pooh can be thrown out of Crystal Palace. I think that pooh and his friends has been way overdone and we really could care less about those characters. Also, Pinochio and Jiminy. Why are they not character meals? They are so hard to come by in the world. We were there for 7 days in MK and ran into them once, so they would be a good choice. Maybe a ghepetto's restaurant. There are several boy characters in that movie; most of them actually.
We did too many last time though, all of them I think, and I'll tell ya, one character dinner is enough for one trip for me. I would rather just sit and eat.

donnah77
07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I voted for more and totally agree with the suggestions of more "boy" type characters like Toy Story, Peter Pan, Star Wars, Pirates... Even my DD, who adores her princesses, is maybe getting a little tired of the princess breakfasts after 3 years in a row. She would LOVE any one of the suggestions. :cloud9:

mom2morgan
07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I like the idea of new and different characters - but let's not be sexist! My nine year old DAUGHTER would love a villain's meal, or some of the Pixar crowd. And actually, my teen age son was okay with the Princess meal when he got a close up look t Jasmine,and how little she really wears ;-)

DDuck66
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with what most people are saying. We could use a few more but lets get some different characters. I deffinately liked the Monsters Inc. thought some one had stated. Some characters they can choose from the 7 dwarfs (besides Grumpy), the Robin Hood charcters, Donald's Nephews, and of course the Disney Villians would be a slam dunk.:mickey:

They used to have a Villains Dinner at the 1900 Park Fair at the GF. It was great!!! Unfortunatly it closed right after I went for the first time. It was by far one of the better character meals. I also voted for more but like many, I would like to see some variety.

Septbride2002
07-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I think there are plenty of character meals. The only reason I didn't vote for less meals is because I do think the meals get booked up very quickly.

~Amanda

Master Gracey
07-13-2008, 10:13 AM
It would be fine with me if they were all character meals. More character interaction with all guest is a good thing.

dephenn
07-13-2008, 10:19 AM

I agree, my son has been excellent when it comes to sitting through princess dinners for his sister, but now he is older and wishes we would cut back, we have on our next trip. Doing the Scifi cafe for him.