PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Universal Resorts, discounts/savings, parks, etc....

Sunshine1010
07-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I have a few questions.

1. Is there a way that I can sign up, or be informed of....specials for Royal Pacific Resort? I can't find a place that I can do this with...

2. I am going March 17-25, 2009. When I was first trying to make the reservation, I couldn't do it online. I was told it was because the rates aren't out yet for that time period (a travel agency told me this also). BUT...when I called by phone, I was able to make a reservation and have that cost at a locked rate, so it won't go up when the rates ARE released. My cost is: 309.00 per night at the Royal Pacific Resort (during a peak time - Spring Break), and then 324.00 on the weekend nights. When I'm reading other discussion boards, everyone seems to be getting their rates at half the cost I am quoted. Is my rate ridiculously high?

3. I have AAA - how and when will specials come out?

4. I've read about a so-called 'Entertainment rate'. I know that there is a book of this. But I've also read that that Loew's (owners of Universal's on site hotels) no longer takes this. Any comments...or info on this?

5. Does Royal Pacific Resort have a store to buy milk for kids, OJ, doughnuts, etc?

6. How much is it to rent a fridge per day? If I am understanding correctly, there is a fridge that is stocked and they will give you a key. They'll also check it daily to see (if) what you've used. I don't want to pay 50.00 for a coke...he he...so I am wondering if it's best to get a cooler at a store, or if I should just rent a fridge so my son can have milk every night. If they don't sell milk and cokes there, then why would I get a cooler? (make sense?)

7. Are there fridges in the standard rooms at Royal Pacific Resort?

8. Club level at RPR was quoted at 80.00 more per night. Is it worth this much? What do you get? Has anyone on this board been on club level there....if so, opinions?

9. I know Disney has made it that all hotel/resort rooms are non-smoking. Has Loew's hotels (Universal Resorts) followed this?

10. I heard there are 3 towers at RPR. Which towers have certain things? Which is the best tower for a pool view?

11. What is a supersaver rate?...and how would I get it?

12. Dinner reservations: I know Disney does the whole 180 day thing. What about Universal/Loew's restaurants? How soon can I make reservations?

13. What are Spring Break crowds like at Universal? Horrible like at Disney?

StillSimbaGirl
07-07-2008, 04:14 PM
First up: Chill.

While it is true, going to Disney needs to be planned like a military maneuver (D-Day springs to mind), Universal does not require this. My 9 year old prefers Universal to Disney because of the mellow factor.

On Universal's web site you should be able to get $85 tickets for your week. So go ahead and throw in a Sea World Ticket...maybe even Discovery Cove (then you'll be about even for Park Hoppers at Disney). Discovery Cove does have to be planned for months in advance.

Universal is a far more relaxed trip. Maybe a month or two out, you can plan your dining - you really only need reservations for the luau, Emeril's etc. Seriously, to dine at Mythos, sign up on their little sign-in sheet when you get to the Park. That's a reservation.

Rates are NOT out on the website. I have been checking for February...but yep, I think you are paying too much. Once the rates are available on the website and since you are staying 5 plus days, you should be able to pull a "Super Saver Discount." That should drop your rate about $80 a night so about $225 a night. There should also be a Triple AAA rate. But you really don't have to be concerned with holding down a reservation like you do at Disney.

Check out Loews web site - as well. They are a cool hotel chain - and offer amenities to loyal customers.

BelleCiavo
07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I have AAA - how and when will specials come out?
I'd have Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/Universal/main.htm) handle the ressie for you.

4. I've read about a so-called 'Entertainment rate'. I know that there is a book of this. But I've also read that that Loew's (owners of Universal's on site hotels) no longer takes this. Any comments...or info on this?
Loews doesn't participate any longer. It was nice while it lasted.

6. How much is it to rent a fridge per day? If I am understanding correctly, there is a fridge that is stocked and they will give you a key. They'll also check it daily to see (if) what you've used. I don't want to pay 50.00 for a coke...he he...so I am wondering if it's best to get a cooler at a store, or if I should just rent a fridge so my son can have milk every night. If they don't sell milk and cokes there, then why would I get a cooler? (make sense?)
We used their fridge, took their items, put ours in. I don't think they checked it every day.

7. Are there fridges in the standard rooms at Royal Pacific Resort?
Yes

10. I heard there are 3 towers at RPR. Which towers have certain things? Which is the best tower for a pool view?
You need to pay extra for a pool view. We had a gorgeous view in Tower three, floor five, click here to see (http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/karenciavo/sc0001529e-1.jpg). This shot is looking right, IOA was smack in the middle of our window, we laid in bed watching Dr Doom.

HTH,
Karen

P.S.:" Definitely join the Loews First Club (http://www.loews-first.com/loewsfirst_benefits.asp). You will get a special gift when you check in and may get other perks.

Jen C.
07-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I can only answer the question with regards to staying club level. IMO it is worth the extra cost. We stayed club level at the sister resort (Portofino Bay) in January and had a lovely time. The ounge had many offerings, and we felt as though we were treated quite well.

jax86
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
we just got back from royal pacific. the best rate we found was $199 with AAA. if you stay more than a few days you may get a free night of free tickets I'm not sure but MJ should be able to help you with that. THe lobby has breakfast every morning. (no eggs, pancakes etc) just bagels donuts, muffins etc, i felt it was VERY expensive, with what they charge for rooms it should have been a lot cheaper. we tried the breakfast buffet in the dining room (about $20 pp) very good food but expensive.

thrillme
08-20-2008, 02:06 PM
1. Specials...I went to the Universal Resort Website and just signed up for a brochure or something. I get plenty of emails for specials.

2. I paid something like $300 a night for 3 people and 4 nights. The total package came to about $1200 PLUS parking (I think the parking thing is DUMB but it ran me about $60 for the 4 nights...so don't be shocked). It included tickets and the concerige when I checked in gave me a ton of coupons for 20% off souvineer shops, free drinks at the night clubs, etc. The specials usually give you about $250-300 a night and at least two free tickets. Sometimes they give coupons too for "kids eat free".

3. dunno
4. dunno
5. I've not seen a shop to buy milk/cokes but I don't recall it being overly pricey a coke down by the pool. The Sundrais store should have them most sundrais stores do.

6. I didn't use the fridge but we chatted with one of the maintenance fellas (everybody is REALLY nice there)...and he recommended NOT using it because the items could get really pricey. I belive you can get some drinks from citywalk or the sundrais store.
7. I don't remember having one and we just got back Aug 3.
8. ??
9. I think they still have some but not many almost all are NS rooms.
10. I "think" tower 2 might have the best "view" but tower 3 is closest.
11. ?
12. The beauty of Universal is there's no reservations to make. I guess you "could" make some at Emeril's but we were there July 29/Aug 2 and honestly anytime you want to get in you do as a walk in. Don't stress yourself on this...go when you want.

13. I'm quite certian that spring break crowds are significantly less than in the summer. With the Universal Pass on your key card...crowds are NOTHING. Even at it's worse you might wait about 10 minutes.

The Island resturant at Royal Pacific is FANTASTIC. I found it to be well worth the price. We were quite stuffed for the rest of the day. There's a Panama Jacks resturant right next door. Food was really good there too.

The Park's "Meal Deal" package ran about $67 for the 3 of us (my son's over 9). If you plan on eating 3 meals (at a park)...I think it's a little more if you want BOTH parks. It's a pretty good deal. Drinks are not included but for $10 you can buy a all day drink cup. If you buy the meal plan drinks are FREE all day...without the meal plan they're about $1 for a refill...I brought our drink cup back the next day (we shared). Don't know if I was supposed to or not but they didn't seem to care.

Honestly...Universal is a LOT more laid back than Disney in a lot of ways. It's smaller and easier to get around when you're in a Universal Hotel. I'm not sure how you plan on getting there or if you have a rental car or not but you can always fill a cooler with ice and bring your own products. They have stores not too far down the road.

You can sign up for the Lowes First club but it didn't offer anything special for Royal Pacific because they didn't particpate in the package I bought.:confused: