PDA

View Full Version : My AWESOME ebay win!!!

J9
07-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I am quite excited!

Several years ago when I was redoing my room I had found a Cinderella Castle 15 year service award that I won for $80. It is sitting proudly in my room - with someone else's name on it, but someday I will get around to removing the nameplate. It's such a gorgeous piece of statuary that I've been looking to add to my collection, but anything else has been going for $500, $800, or even more!!! Bummer!

Last week, I did a search again and I found a Partners in Excellence Award statue for $400 buy it now, not including shipping! (And it's the cast member award, not just the replica statues they sold in the park!) After nearly a week I was actually able to talk the seller down to $200 including shipping. I used an ebay coupon I had so it came to $180.

I got the statue the other day and it is everything I thought it would be....except the wood base is loose. Nothing terrible, but it's not perfect and I'll have to figure out how to fix it. I emailed the seller because it wasn't mentioned and she has decided to refund me another $40!!! Which means that I got the statue for $140 once she comes through with the refund!

Yes, yes, it seems like a lot of money even still. However, I've been looking for one for years (because let's face it, I will never get in enough time at WDW to be a Partner in Excellence - especially not as a seasonal CM). I have my graduation money which was just burning a hole in my pocket.

The best part? After doing some research, I've found that not only are these Partners in Excellence Award statutes rare, they have been consistently going for $1000-3000 on ebay when they do pop up!

I'm so happy with my buy!!! I just had to share with other Disney people!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-06-2008, 03:28 AM
You know, it's really quite sad that people are selling these things online. I would NEVER sell ANY of my stuff I've earned as a CM.

EVER.

J9
07-06-2008, 03:50 AM
You know, it's really quite sad that people are selling these things online. I would NEVER sell ANY of my stuff I've earned as a CM.

EVER.

I know, me neither!! I have a drawer full of little trinkets I was given that I would never consider parting with even though I have no use for most of them!

But since I'll probably never get one of these awards for my own, I'm just going to be glad I was able to get it. At least it went to a good home!!

dephenn
07-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Congratulations on your find/purchase. With that said, I don't think that I would pass judgement on anyone that sells an award that they have won or a possession they find dear to their heart. With the price of fuel and the recent decline in the stock market and the housing market crash people are finding themselves doing things that they never thought they would have to do or sell things that are dear to their heart just to help make ends meet. I have even read here on intercot about people canceling their trips to disney because of the price of gas. Again Congratulations, but unless it is a moral decision you should never say never.

joanna71985
07-06-2008, 08:01 AM

EVER.

Same here.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Congratulations on your find/purchase. With that said, I don't think that I would pass judgement on anyone that sells an award that they have won or a possession they find dear to their heart. With the price of fuel and the recent decline in the stock market and the housing market crash people are finding themselves doing things that they never thought they would have to do or sell things that are dear to their heart just to help make ends meet. I have even read here on intercot about people canceling their trips to disney because of the price of gas. Again Congratulations, but unless it is a moral decision you should never say never.

I'd sell my clothes, DVDs, anime figures, costumes, books, anything that can be bought or made again. I'd pick up a second job.

Those people will never have the chance to get those things back. You get them once and that's it. Maybe if they still work for Disney, they can get the Partners in Excellence again, MAYBE. But the 15 Years of Service statue is a one-time thing that can't be replaced.

Especially since putting in 15 years is quite a feat (most people don't go past 1-2).

But it's just a personal opinion on my half. It might be a CM thing.

J9
07-06-2008, 10:55 AM
I actually agree with Jessica. I know if these were my own items, I would never part with them (I'll part with the ones that weren't mine if by some miracle I do move down and get them on my own accord though!!! LOL)

However, I also agree that we don't know the circumstances. For all we know the person has passed on and their family just didn't want the items. Or perhaps they were terminated and are bitter, who knows?!

Regardless, I'm glad they did decide to part with them because now I have them. Although I do still hold out some hope in getting down there on my own as more than just seasonal.

I sort of feel bad now for buying them now though! HAHAH! Of course someone else would have. I didn't buy them because they were CM awards I'll never get though. I stumbled upon the 15 year award by accident - I just got home from my college program and was feeling "home-sick." I was redoing my room and wanted a pretty replica castle to put on a shelf. I was originally going for the Jim Shore castle, but came across the 15 year award on the way. I like the bronze look and the wood matched my bedroom set perfectly. Didn't realize it was a service award until i got it!

As for the Partners in Excellence, they used to sell bronze replicas of the hub statue in the Emporium when the statue was first unveiled. I wanted one then, but I was pretty young and my parents refused to buy it. I've been looking for a replica of the Partners statue ever since.

Please don't judge me! lol!

dephenn
07-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd sell my clothes, DVDs, anime figures, costumes, books, anything that can be bought or made again. I'd pick up a second job.

Those people will never have the chance to get those things back. You get them once and that's it. Maybe if they still work for Disney, they can get the Partners in Excellence again, MAYBE. But the 15 Years of Service statue is a one-time thing that can't be replaced.

Especially since putting in 15 years is quite a feat (most people don't go past 1-2).

But it's just a personal opinion on my half. It might be a CM thing.

My intension was not to offend anyone. I've been unfortunate to have gone to war (fortunately enough to make it back)and have seen how people have had to leave everything behind or sell to feed their kids. I have volunteered at homeless shelters and heard the stories of families that have given up/sold what ever they had to make sure their kids get a hot meal, things they thought they would never give up. I sincerely apologize if you took any offense and I honestly hope you continue to win and received awards that you earn and treasure. I have earned many metals and ribbons during my time in the military that I hold dear, but none more than a family member.
I appreciate your feed back and have read many of your post and find them quite informative and helpful to a lot of people here on intercot and those that visit Disney Thank you.

Minnie Imagineer
07-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Congrats on your winning! I have a Partner's in Excellence clock that I got from a vender that they only sell in Tokyo. It is my prized possesion! But why would people want to sell that stuff? But its good for you because you got it!
:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
My intension was not to offend anyone. I've been unfortunate to have gone to war (fortunately enough to make it back)and have seen how people have had to leave everything behind or sell to feed their kids. I have volunteered at homeless shelters and heard the stories of families that have given up/sold what ever they had to make sure their kids get a hot meal, things they thought they would never give up. I sincerely apologize if you took any offense and I honestly hope you continue to win and received awards that you earn and treasure. I have earned many metals and ribbons during my time in the military that I hold dear, but none more than a family member.
I appreciate your feed back and have read many of your post and find them quite informative and helpful to a lot of people here on intercot and those that visit Disney Thank you.

Oh I wasn't offended at all! It's just one of those things that I can't grasp someone being able to part with. There are just some things money can't replace, and I understand that time are getting hard. Anyone who knows me knows that there are a few things I love more than anything - Disney and Anime. I also collect Barbies, somewhat extensively. Out of those things, I know I can buy any of my anime figures, books, and movies again as well as any of my Barbies again. I can't buy back the stuff I was awarded as a CM (not that I have a lot yet).

J9, as for winning the auctions, don't feel bad about it! They (for whatever insane reason) decided to part with the items, of their own accord. You didn't force them to sell it, or steal it from them. It was their decision, though I just don't understand it. I mean, if I wasn't a CM planning on staying with the company, I probably would have bought them too. But I know I'll get mine, eventually...only 13.5 more years til I get the Cinderella Castle statue!!

J9
07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I mean, if I wasn't a CM planning on staying with the company, I probably would have bought them too. But I know I'll get mine, eventually...only 13.5 more years til I get the Cinderella Castle statue!!

I do so wish the college program started the clock running...If it did I'd be less than a year away from my 5 year anniversary!!

Sigh....nothing worth having didn't require a little sweat work though!!!

LauraleeH
07-06-2008, 05:28 PM
That would be so awesome to win! I love ebay haha.

I've had to sell a lot of stuff on ebay lately. I hope I never have to sell my treasures, but when it comes down to it, it's just "stuff" and I'd rather have a roof over my head. I know a lot of people who have had to sell their favorite things just to make ends meet. It's sad, but it's life.

pdrlkr
07-06-2008, 11:41 PM
:congrats:

pink
07-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Congradulations on your find and purchase! Your Cinderella's castle one sounds like a great find. You can always find the best things on Ebay if you really look. :mickey:

joanna71985
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
But I know I'll get mine, eventually...only 13.5 more years til I get the Cinderella Castle statue!!

I wish I had that much time. Unfortunately, none of my time counts for getting any awards. It doesn't matter. I'm going to go FT next year.

I do so wish the college program started the clock running...If it did I'd be less than a year away from my 5 year anniversary!!

Oh me too! If that was the case, I would have been here for 3.5 years!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Lol, yeppers! I want my one year pin!

Oddly enough, I got my pension packet (which is also available after one year). Talk about a rip off.

Not2Loud
07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Congrats on a most awesome find!