PDA

View Full Version : Food in checked baggage

pink
07-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I forget where I read it but I remember something saying that it was a good idea to avoid putting food in your checked baggage. I was planning on packing granola bars and rice krispie treats for snacks when we got in September. Is this really a bad idea or will it be ok? :mickey:

Claudielou
07-05-2008, 10:29 AM
We've packed snacks in our suitcases and never had any problems!:mickey:

Niecyboo
07-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I like to buy small plastic tubs at the dollar store, the ones the size of a shoe box, and pack my snacks inside of there. They keep things from getting smashed, and they work well for storing them in the room. I've never had a problem with packed food, but generally have small snack-like items (which it sounds like you are bringing)

BrerStitch
07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
The small plastic tub sounds like a great idea. We've packed small granola bars etc, and that would be a terrific way to keep them from getting smashed.

crazykids
07-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I always pack some sort of food items, as well as coffee & tea. Never had any issues. I always wrap everything in ziploc bags just in case anything ever leaks, melts, spills, etc.

TheRustyScupper
07-06-2008, 02:38 PM
You haven't lived until your have a pressurized Twinkie!

Ropachs
07-06-2008, 09:17 PM
We always take some snacks to save a little money. This trip we'll also be taking food for our little picky princess...food in tubs is a fabulous idea, you could then pack any delicate souveniers you buy in them for the trip home.

IATwinsMom
07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
We always bring snacks in an extra piece of luggage. That way on the way home the snacks are gone and we have room for all of the wonderful things we buy on our vacation:mickey:!! We have never had a problem with the snacks in the luggage, but the plastic containers sound like a great idea:thumbsup:.

Dakota Rose
07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
We always pack snacks too and no problems. TSA technically requests that food not be packed in checked luggage, but they haven't banned it...yet.