PDA

View Full Version : Pet grooming

Celestria
07-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I was just wondering if anybody on here takes their pet to get groomed anywhere and what they pay. i'm trying to help a friend with research, so if you have any input i would apreciate it.

DisneyDog
07-04-2008, 10:05 PM
We always groomed our dogs at home. One of my dogs always ended up with skin problems anytime he was groomed professionally because they always brushed him too hard.

I would call around to a bunch of local groomers and see what they charge. Your friend should also visit the groomers in person before making the appointment and make sure she feels comfortable with the place and that it is clean and the dogs being groomed seem safe and happy.

Hope this helps!

KineGirl
07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I have a medium hair dog thats about 90 lbs. When we take her in to be groomed it can be anywhere from $60- $80 depending on what we have done.

Sometimes she needs a cut sometimes she doesnt. Sometimes we have her shaved.

Just a year ago, at the same place, they only charged $45-$65.

Niecyboo
07-05-2008, 12:25 AM
We must be cheap around here. I have a 20 lb. Pug/Poodle mix (hair is long with loose curl to it). We take him to a lady who has a shop in her house (fully licenced and promoted). We only pay around $25.00-$30.00, but usually tip on top of that.

kakn7294
07-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Most places locally charge based on the size of the pet, what you are having done, the condition of the pet's coat (matted fur costs more), and the pet's personality (more aggressive pets are charged higher rates). I do my dog myself but when I've taken her, it's cost anywhere from $25 - 60. She's a 16 lb mini schnauzer.

RenDuran
07-05-2008, 08:33 AM
I used to pay $80 for my German Shepherd to be bathed and brushed. She hasn't been done in a year now.

MsMin
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I take my dogs to the petsmart here and spend about 38-45 per pup. I do my own maintenance in between. It depends on the type and size of dog but there are things that they do that most ppl don't do at home. I take mine about twice a year for a good once over .
Smaller dogs have more problems than larger dogs. They need their **** sacs expressed where most larger dogs do not require this. I get their teeth brushed but don't need flea dips or shampoos.
We have one groomer in town who is wonderful but she requires all pups be at the shop by 7am and then you have to pick up your pup when she calls you, too inconvenient for me. I asked our vet for a reference. Shop around, know what your pup needs and compare the services as well. Some may include things that others don't in a standard groom.

Puppy Mom
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I have two miniature long haired dachshunds and take them to Petco.

They get haircuts, baths, nails trimmed and teeth brushed twice a summer for about $30 each.

J9
07-05-2008, 03:06 PM
We have a 1 year old Bichon and we take her once a month for about $50 a pop. It's $10 more if she is exceptionally matted. (She hasn't been yet because we brush her often, but Bichon have very mattable hair so it is a possibility) We take her to a local groomer who we too our other Bichon to for 14 years. She specializes in Bichons, Poodles, Havaneses, and Malteses so it's good for her. She exclusively grooms little dogs. If they're over 25 pounds she won't touch them.

I know we spend a lot on her, but she really is much happier when she's groomed. She prances around like "I know I'm pretty!" It's actually quite good for their skin and coat health as well!

Flower
07-05-2008, 07:20 PM
The only thing Yogi goes to the groomer for is a pawdicure (Nail trim). The groomer charges $5 and the vet charges $25....easy to see why I take him to a groomer for it!

Mickey'sGirl
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
WE have two 50 lb Brittany's and they cost $50 each for a wash and cut.. That's pretty standard around here.

vizsla
07-06-2008, 08:59 AM
We have always groomed our own dogs, but my DM and DN have their dogs groomed at a local groomer and they charge between $25-$40 depending on the size of dog.

Stitchahula
07-06-2008, 09:54 AM
It's hard to give you an idea of what you should be charged since I have never worked in florida. Here's how I charge (yes I'm a groomer) it depends on what is being done to the dog if it's a bath,dry and brush out or if it's a hair cut. I charge more for dematting or excessive shedding. If the dog needs a special shampoo you will most likely get charged more same if there is a handling problem (not to say that your dog is trying to see what the grromer tastes like the dog might just be really nervous and will need extra time). There are all sorts of things that can and will add extra $ to the bill. If it's a hair cut it can be a big difference in price if it's a hand scizzor or shave down. Most people get upset when they think my dog cost x amount of money to be groomed but they don't think of it as they are having their entire body washed,brushed,dried,nails,ears, maybe **** glands, and maybe a hair cut. It takes time to do all this can you imagine if you spent that much time at a hair dressers what you would be charged. Ask at your vet to see if they know of a good groomer that they can point you in the direction of. Good luck.

Mickey'sGirl
07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
We have always groomed our own dogs, but my DM and DN have their dogs groomed at a local groomer and they charge between $25-$40 depending on the size of dog.I groomed our Rory once.....I have since received a lifetime ban from dog lovers everywhere..... :blush: It is so much harder than I thought it would be!

Celestria
07-07-2008, 07:28 PM
thank you for your input. my friend is in the hospital and couldn't do this there. she wanted me to thank everyone!