PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the Past: DCA AP Preview Day Part Two

MegaDisney
07-04-2008, 09:22 PM
February 4, 2001 - Annual Passholders Preview Day
Cast: Me (32) AKA MegaDisney
Scott (34) Disney Fan

Continued from Part One:

We then wandered back over to PP and rode CS the Maliboomer a couple of more times but the line for the Sun Wheel was 120 min. We decide to stake out a spot for the parade and rest a bit and come back to PP after dinner.

As you leave PP on the side next to the Wolfgang Puck Restaurant there is a hub of sorts and there was a group performing limbo. They had a boom box playing music and they had a dance routine. At this point I should mention the "street performers" that inhabit the Golden State section of the park, I really liked having these very diverse groups performing. It was very "California" Throughout the day we came across the Limbo group, a "Stomp" type of group that danced on big drums, and a trio singing "folksy" music. Again I thought this was a nice touch.

We found the perfect parade viewing spot across from the Golden Dreams Theatre. A tiny little triangle of pavement with no room for anyone else, our own private viewing spot! The parade route was marked with red tape on the pavement, which for some reason meant nothing to some. The poor cast member assigned to the area took such abuse when she explained to someone that their perfect spot was right in the parade route!! Anyway, we were parked "legal" and the parade began. I haven't seen a Disney parade that I TRULY enjoyed since the Lion King Celebration at DL, but this parade came close for me. In the overall theme of DCA is the diversity and richness of California culture, and I really thought this parade captured that feeling exactly! It is made up of Latin, Asian, African American, and "California" sections each with the same song done in distinct styles. Colorful, Fun, Cheesy, Loud, Diverse are some of the words I would use to describe Eureka!! I really liked the finale it mixed all the cultural sights and sounds into a Hodge Podge of California. It is "Disney" in the details, not in the character sense. No Mickey at the end...more adult. This may throw some Disney Fans for a loop, but I enjoyed it.

We had some time till dinner so we headed to the now infamous "tour/attractions" first up was the Mission Tortilla Factory tour. It reminded me of going to the L.A. county fair as a kid. The tour was informative, interesting, and tasty but only worth about 10 min of our time. The bakery had a line, so we decided to check in early for dinner. I like these things in the park, but my concern is their lack of capacity. I don't consider them "attractions" in the true sense, but they do "belong" here in DCA (IMHO).

We decided to see the Seasons of the Vine movie at the Winery before checking in for dinner. The movie was informative, but not very entertaining. The cellar/theatre was cool and relaxing, and I found myself falling asleep. I did like the illusion that you were looking out of the barn door at the vineyards. We learned about wine, now time to drink some!

We checked in at the Vineyard Room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The menu here is set. You are given a few food choices for each course (per table not per guest, with each guest getting a dessert selection) and four wine selections per course (2 with dessert). We did half glasses of two of the wine selections for the dinner and a full glass of the most delicious dessert wine I have ever tasted along with a delicious rosewater panna cotta...heaven. The cost at dinner is $50.00($40 at lunch) pp plus 17% gratuity. If you are a wine drinker this is a bargain. The food is an eclectic mix of Italian, Californian, Asian, & Mediterranean. I enjoyed my dinner immensely! Scott suffered through, being a picky meat and potatoes guy. The dinner is served from the sauté pan at the table "French family style" This is a very welcome change in resort/park dining here in California. I recommend it highly if you are food/wine adventurous. Two problems I did have: the lighting in the area we were seated was too bright, and this building was built with no A/C. I can't imagine eating lunch here in the heat of the day!!! What were they thinking? There are no windows at all. The entire restaurant is open air.

After dinner we headed to PP for another spin on CS & Maliboomer, then got in the line for the Sun Wheel. PP at night is magic!! Much like Main Street at DL, it has an entirely different feel at night. We got talking to a group behind us (3 sisters and a brother) from Utah that came to DL as a group several times a year together. What fun!! A whole Disney Family!! All six of us rode in the same swinging gondola. I was a wreck when we rolled along the track, but I had company, a couple of the girls were just as terrified as I was!!!

We bid our new friends adieu and started to head for Soarin' Over California for a second ride, but the wine, dinner, and the gut wrenching adventures at PP had gotten to Scott. He was willing to wait while I did Soarin', but the line was still 150 minutes, so I did some last minute shopping, we picked up our package express and headed back to the Hotel.

I was very pleased and impressed with California Adventure. The park is more adult, which I like, and has a lot more to do dining wise, which is another plus. The park is absolutely beautiful! The attention to detail is pure Disney. We encountered nothing but the best CM treatment! For a true Disney fan that only likes the "Magic" and the characters and Fantasy, DCA may not appeal to them. DCA is not another Disneyland, nor should it be compared apples to apples to it, but if you are looking for a magical, clean, well run, detailed and exciting place to spend the day, have a good meal, get your pants scared off, and wonder at what imagination and technology can accomplish you will love DCA.

We are already planning an early June follow up trip!

NotaGeek
07-04-2008, 10:52 PM
:clappy:

Thanks Bryant! What a treat!

Melanie
07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
How cool reading about the DCA of old. Thanks Bryant! :thumbsup:

tinkwest
07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks Bryant!! I may be a copy cat and see if I have an old DCA trip report stashed away.

My favorite parts . . .
-- Bryant made reservations for dinner, Scott ran to Paradise Pier for FPs.
-- Bryant finished a burrito, Scott ran to get GRR FPs.
-- Scott ran to get CS FPs while Bryant waited in the GRR area.
-- Bryant grabbed a soda while Scott went to get another CS FP.
. . . repeat, repeat, repeat!!! :rotfl:

MegaDisney
07-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks Bryant!! I may be a copy cat and see if I have an old DCA trip report stashed away.

My favorite parts . . .
-- Bryant made reservations for dinner, Scott ran to Paradise Pier for FPs.
-- Bryant finished a burrito, Scott ran to get GRR FPs.
-- Scott ran to get CS FPs while Bryant waited in the GRR area.
-- Bryant grabbed a soda while Scott went to get another CS FP.
. . . repeat, repeat, repeat!!! :rotfl:

LOL!!
Thanks for pointing that out Linda! What can I say Scott is a great friend that way!
I am really not a lazy vacationer!