PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the Past: DCA AP Preview Part One

MegaDisney
07-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I came across an old trip report from 2001. I thought since it was so quiet in here some of you might be interested in reading about the AP Preview Day at DCA. This was originally posted on Intercot West in Febuary of 2001. Enjoy!:

February 4, 2001 - Annual Passholders Preview Day
Cast: Me (32) AKA MegaDisney
Scott (34) Disney Fan

I woke up with a start!! Is it really Feb. 4th??? Am I really going to DCA??? Scott and I had been anticipating this day for ages. We've been peeking through the construction barriers, surfing the web, reading reviews and basically biting at the bit to get inside for the last 5 years!!

We were out the door and in the car by 6:30 for an 8 a.m. park opening. We decided to use Scott's AP for parking, thinking we would be put in the Timon parking lot, and given a heads up about the new policy. SURPRISE! They did tell us in the future to park in the Mickey and Friends structure, but as we entered the Timon parking lot ALL of the cars were being directed back out into Disneyland Drive and to the Parking Structure!! Oh well we tried!! Soon we were on the tram headed to DCA!!!

We decided to head straight to the front gate and SURPRISE AGAIN! They were letting people in!! I was awestruck by the Sun Plaza. But, we had bigger and better things to do!

On the advice of Pongo we headed straight to FP for Soarin' Over California! The Condor Flats area has some really neat touches, runway lights in the walkways, un-kept desert palm trees. It was 7:15 a.m. and they were loading the ride! The queue was really well done and we were sooooo excited. I can only say one thing about the ride...WOW!!! It was totally MEGADISNEY!!! The ending will make any Disneyland fan cheer! We loved this ride! What a way to start the day! Everyone on the ride applauded at the end. We couldn't get enough so we decided to FastPass this as soon as possible. The FastPass area was closed and we were told because only one of the theatres was working, FastPass would not be running today. The line was already 45 min wait, so we decided we were lucky to ride so early, so we decided to set some ressies.

We walked back through Sun Plaza for a closer look. I love the Train Station Shops.... BRR-RRR Bank Ice Cream and Bakers Field Bakery. The sun icon and fountain are very cool, and I love the "California" music played in this section. We headed to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot to set Soap Opera Bistro ressies, then split up, I headed to the Golden Vine Winery, Scott to Paradise Pier for California Screamin' FastPass. Ressie set, I headed to Paradise Pier.

I know this is one of the most hotly debated areas of the new park, but I must say as soon as I saw the sign and walked on the "boardwalk" and heard the music, I was in love with Paradise Pier. "Fun in the Sun for Everyone" is the motto of this section and it lived up to it in every way! Scott had our FP and the standby line for CS was only 20 min, so in line we went. The line was actually only about 10 min and we were on board. I really liked this coaster!! I thought the music was really cool and it was a smooth fun run! The initial launch with the waves crashing against the rocks next to you is too cool! One more ride, then breakfast! We then headed to the Maliboomer. It had NO WAIT!! This was really cool. I am not a heights person, so this was like 2 seconds of sheer terror!! Lets do it again!! I really like the sound effects this ride produces! After twice around, I was starving! We headed to Malibu-ritos for a giant breakfast burrito and a coke. We ate and discussed what a fantastic time we were having so far and it's only 8:30 a.m.! The early bird does get the worm!

As I finished up my MEGA burrito, Scott ran to get FP for GRR hoping they would be later in the day when it warmed up. When he came back we hit CS once again just to settle breakfast. I found out the "tunnels" on this coaster, as well as the Mickey icon are actually scream shields for the Paradise Pier Hotel! The Sun Wheel was not yet open so we headed to Mullholland Madness. It was closed for the day, instead of getting upset we decided it would give us something new to do on our next visit. Golden Zephyr was also closed due to wind and the Jumping Jellyfish looked like a kiddy ride so we went on Maliboomer one last time and headed for the rest of the Golden State.

I think the whole theme of this park is nice, it's a hodgepodge of California just as California is a hodgepodge of the World.

The Bountiful Valley Farm area is really nice. I like the irrigation themed water play area for kids. It's Tough to be a Bug! had absolutely no wait so we walked through the queue area and... oh my gosh.. ITS ANT ISLAND! The queue for this ride takes place in the dry creek bed surrounding Ant Island from Bugs Life. We took some good pictures here as the queue was deserted! The show is basically the same as at Florida, and everyone seems to enjoy it here in CA as well as they do in AK. As we exited we ran into Flik and got a picture. We wandered around and enjoyed the area then headed back to the Plaza for pictures.

The fountain under the Sun icon has to be seen! It simulates a wave underneath the icon. Way cool! We were dying of thirst (the temp ended up being around 87 that day) so we got water and diet coke each and found a bench. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Max came into the plaza all decked out in their best "vacation" attire! We people watched until it was time for our GRR FastPass then cut through Condor Flats (Soarin' line now at 180 min) to Grizzly Peak.

With the Grand California Hotel as a backdrop, this area is very nice. Although as we round the bend in the highway to GRR we encountered a typical California Adventure.... TRAFFIC. It seemed as if everyone in the park was either in line, getting a FP, or FP returnees for this ride. Scott ran for another FP for CS and I waited in the area. When he got back we put our backpack in the "free for 2 hours" lockers (nice touch) and got in the FastPass line. 30 minutes later we were on board! This is a great raft ride!! It is more turbulent, longer, and better themed than any I have been on, and the 22 ft. spinning drop at the end is veeerrrry cooool!!! I got SOAKED!!! YEAH!!! Two thumbs up for GRR.

It was now time for lunch at The Soap Opera Bistro, so we headed that direction. We were seated immediately in "Lukes" from General Hospital. We are not Soap Opera fans but this place was really fun! Dining areas are the Buchanan Stables, Country Club, and The Chandlers Mansion from One Life to Live. Nurses Station, Kelly's, and Lukes from General Hospital, and the Pier from Port Charles. Our "grip" fixed the problem with the set (our table) and gave us our water and bread. A candy striper was our waitress. Various costumed actors were milling around. I ordered the Salmon Salad (bad vegetarian) Scott had Soup and Salad, and we ordered a bottle of wine. As the waitress was opening the bottle of wine, a woman in a leopard skin dress ran up to our table took my arm and said "Roderick, you have to get out of here, he's after you!!!" about this time a guy in scrubs came into the bar shouting "where is he??" I guess I was mixed up in a triangle, with my brothers (the doctor) fiancée, my brother (the doctor) had done experiments on me (resulting in my obvious amnesia) and now I had the nerve to drink in front of my recovering alcoholic doctor brother!!! WHAT FUN! The actors were really great, the food was good, and we had a great lunch!!

From our dramatic lunch we made our way over to Muppets 3-D and got a FP. The Hollywood Picture Backlot is really nice. I love the play on words here: Schmoozies (sells smoothies), Award Wieners (sells hot dogs), and faux businesses such as Phillip A. Couch (casting agency). The entrance to the Hyperion theatre with the false background is a great illusion. I also like how many of the shops are just sets and you can wander around the back and its all scaffolding.

We got in the 45 min line for Superstar Limo. The queue area is themed like an airport. The best thing is that it passes by new construction going on: Armageddon Ride scheduled to open 2002. Rumor has it that this area will get TOT with a twist: It will actually be a Disneyland Resort Hotel/Attraction in one!! COOL! Anyway back to Superstar Limo... I love the ride vehicles and idea for this attraction...but I agree with most that it is disjointed and the storyline isn't made that clear. I did recognize the "Stars" but wasn't quite sure why they were there. I thought the animation of the "agent" and Joan Rivers was cool. It looked like those satirical puppets from the 80's. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't impressed either. It's a dark ride, and I don't spend a lot of time in Fantasyland...nuff said.

The animation exhibit had a pretty substantial line so we decided to forgo this attraction till next trip. I have heard wonderful things about this attraction from everyone who has visited it.

Our Muppet FP time was upon us so Scott ran to get ANOTHER CS FP for later. I grabbed a soda and waited by the Frank Lloyd Wright Bathroom.... A true Disney Touch!!

We have found, even at DL, if you can get a second FastPass right at the start of you current pass it really made the day fly by and allows you to ride TONS more attractions. Thanks A Trillion to Scott who was so willing all weekend to run across the parks to get these!!

When Scott returned we got in line for Muppets. This would be my 3rd or 4th time seeing this show (First at DCA). I must say I do enjoy it but I would love to see some kind of update for this attraction. In the queue area a "Pigs in Space" Spaceship crashed in the ground, the jet engines "mist" you while you are in line. Nice Touch. Some of the fake movie signs are different from Orlando, but the rest is pretty much the same.

Continued in Part Two