PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone watched "War of the Worlds"?

disneycutie165
07-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I have no idea why I should be mentioning this, but who has seen "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise? I saw it last night and I couldn't sleep. It wasn't scary, but I was creeped out for some reason. It also made me very depressed. What did anyone else think about it?

'98-Wilderness Lodge
'99- Wilderness Lodge
'03- Wilderness Lodge
'05- Wilderness Lodge
August '08- Wilderness Lodge!!!

"A man who falls behind, is left behind."
-Jack Sparrow

CrazyStitch
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I've got it on DVD. I like the special effects in the movie, and overall I think it's a decent flick. But never sat up sleepless due to it, though.

scoot241
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Watched it in the movie theater. The movie was OK at best in my opinion.

However, if you want to be creeped out, go to Universal Studios Hollywood. They still have the "crash site" of the 747 on their backlot tour. It's very realistic (they tore up an actual 747 to create the scene).

brewcrew26
07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Also saw it in a theater on opening night. Horrid, horrid movie. Steven Spielberg has lost his touch.

chrisb26
07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I saw the movie once it came out on DVD it was an alright movie not bad but also not the best movie i've seen.

It didn't really creep me out maybe the only time was when we saw what they did to humans but other then that it didn't bother me and even that didn't creep me out much and it wasn't anything to keep me up at night.

Jared
07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I saw it in theaters. A very mediocre movie overloaded with special effects and not-scary "gotcha" moments. Definitely not one of Steven Spielberg's finer moments as a director, though I give him credit for trying to adapt difficult material.

barnaby
07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I thought it was OK, but it was depressing. "End of the world" movies have that effect on me. Whether it be aliens attacking, an asteriod, or a virus, something about them are just depressing to me even if they have a "happy ending".

Speaking of depressing movies - anyone see Stephen King's "The Mist"?

diz_girl
07-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I thought it was OK, but it was depressing. "End of the world" movies have that effect on me. Whether it be aliens attacking, an asteriod, or a virus, something about them are just depressing to me even if they have a "happy ending".

I'm the same way. I usually can't enjoy a movie based on death and destruction, like War of the Worlds, or Titanic, for that matter.

WDWFREAK101
07-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't understand why everybody hates this movie. I LOVED THAT MOVIE!!! I have it on DVD! The Special Effects are INCREDIBLE! Imagine what that film must have cost! I think it was great! I don't care for horror films that much but when I walked out of the theatre I actually walked out feeling good because I thought it was such a good movie. Sure Tom Cruise is annoying as heck but come on. Oh well. I liked the film a lot!

scoot241
07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Special effects don't make a good movie. See the Star Wars prequels.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

WDWFREAK101
07-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Special effects don't make a good movie. See the Star Wars prequels.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Did I say that I only liked it because of the Special Effects? Did I ever say that I only like a movie if it has Special Effects? Frankly I can't stand Special Effects unless they are done right. Look at the original Indianna Jones films. Almost NO Special Effects in that film and it turned out to be 3 of the greatest films ever made. What about the original Star Wars? A LOT of Special Effects but for that time, that was EXTREMELY advanced technology. i hear you on the newer Star Wars films. I hated those movies. I liked this movie. Aparently you didn't. Leave it at that.

NotaGeek
07-03-2008, 08:38 PM
MODERATOR ALERT

Please keep on topic and play nice. Directing unfriendly comments towards other members because you don't agree with their opinion isn't allowed.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I thought it was a great rendition of the old story. I have read the book, heard the radio broadcast, seen the Orson Wells movie and now this version. Each version is told with different charters in the lead roles and each is a product of the era in which it was made. The intro and ending were right out of the book (Nice nod to HG Wells). And while I don't care for Tom Cruse he did a good job as the not so responsible dad who learns to look after his kids, even having to let go of his son to save his daughter. The special effects were well done and did not overwhelm the movie. And while the ending was a not so likely happy ending after all the depressing things in the movie it needed something uplifting. I agree the movie wasn't high art, but it was great SiFi. IMHO :mickey:

Queen Stephanie
07-04-2008, 02:43 PM
That movie totally creeped me out!:paranoid:

disneycutie165
07-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I really did like the movie, because nothing in it actually looked fake. The two parts that creeped me out were:
When Tom Cruise went in the room and killed that Oglivy guy,because all of a sudden you hear a huge silence and when Dakota Fanning saw all the dead people floating on the water.
It made me depressed when the aliens blew the army up and Robbie was there. I did not expect that!:(
But all together I thought it was one of the best. Definately on my favorite list!:)

BY THE WAY, TOM CRUISE IS SOOOO HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I love you WDWFREAK101!! YOU ROCK!!!!

ASweetLov
07-08-2008, 12:40 AM
I am not a Tom Cruise fan at all but I absolutely love this movie. I went to see it out in theaters on opening night and I own it on DVD too:thumbsup:

pink
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I wanted to see this in the theatres but never got a chance, everytime it's on TV now I always watch it. I agree, the special effects were amazing. The movie didn't make me unable to sleep but that whenever I hear that noise the aliens made then I get freaked out. I did think the ending wrapped up a little too quickly though. :mickey:

Sue
07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
When I was young, the 1950's film version scared me to death. I still enjoy watching it today. If you get a chance to see it notice the grandparents at the end of the Tom Cruise version are the stars of the 50s film.