PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Free Chocolate Bar?

merlinmagic4
07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm wondering if anyone out there deals with a dairy allergy. My daughter had an anaphylactic allergic reaction to milk (long story but we had seen the signs coming). Anyway, we go camping in a couple of weeks and 'smores are a huge part of the day. So, I am looking for a dairy free chocolate bar. I know many dark chocolates used to be dairy free but I can't find one.

The other night we had tacos and she burst into tears when we said no cheese or sour cream (I would have too!) so I'm trying to work this all out ahead of time.

Tick-Tock
07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
If you don't get some suggestions that you can find locally, google Dairy Free Chocolate. The first site on the list offered dairy-free chocolate bars and said they'd ship even now in the summer.

merlinmagic4
07-02-2008, 01:34 PM
If you don't get some suggestions that you can find locally, google Dairy Free Chocolate. The first site on the list offered dairy-free chocolate bars and said they'd ship even now in the summer.

Thanks :) I did check out their site. My only issue is I'd like her to try ONE before I buy a bunch because I think they may taste different. If she doesn't like them, I'm stuck with them :sick:

We do have a health food store about 20 minutes away; I might try them, too.

DizNee143
07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
doing a fast search online..i cant find much..unless you want to check out this website.. www.chocolatedecadence.com

also..tofutti makes a dairy free sour cream..its called sour supreme..its pretty good..i found out last year i was lactose intolerant so ive been trying new things..just figured id give you the heads up..i have been able to find it at local grocery stores (shoprtie, stop & shop) right next to regular sour cream..

there are also many different kinds of dairy free cheese out there..

:)

merlinmagic4
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
also..tofutti makes a dairy free sour cream..its called sour supreme..its pretty good..i found out last year i was lactose intolerant so ive been trying new things..just figured id give you the heads up..i have been able to find it at local grocery stores (shoprtie, stop & shop) right next to regular sour cream..

there are also many different kinds of dairy free cheese out there..

:)

Thanks for the info on the sour cream! That is great; I will look for that. I think that was the breaking point with the tacos. She loves sour cream!

I'm hoping she will be able to tolerate small amounts but now it will be such a risk since she has had the anaphylaxis.

tinkerbell04
07-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't have any suggestions for you but I want to wish you luck in working with new foods for your DD. I think that it would be hard to deal with as an adult and I am sure that there is so much that she doesn't understand about it!

MissStyles
07-02-2008, 07:12 PM
This company is not only nut-free but their dark chocolate items are dairy-free. We always order them for my mom who is allergic to nuts, and she orders them for us even though we aren't....we just love them so much!

http://www.vermontnutfree.com/

Definitely check them out! :thumbsup:

MissStyles
07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I just thought of something, there might actually be a chance of cross contamination of milk products on the production line of vt nutfree....I'm not sure just how allergic she is so that is something to consider.

I have friends who are vegan and I have ordered them chocolate bars from chocolate decadence (link posted above) and they have always raved about them...so you could try those too. Tell your daughter there is hope!

pink
07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your daughters milk intolerance. I went through the same thing for about a year when I found out. I can be very distressing when you're hungry and there is nothing in the house you can eat. (You would be suprised how many products have milk in them!) They do sell a lactose free cheese your daughter can try. This is also not a chocolate bar but if you're looking for a snack for her I always eat Quakers Chewy Dipp granola bars. It's healthy for you and it tastes like you're eating a chocolate bar but there is no milk in it, just soy. I hope everything works out with your daughter. :mickey:

pink
07-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I just wanted to say that on my previous post I said that you could try Quakers chewy bars and today I was looking at the wrapper out of boredom and they are made in a factory with milk so it could contain it. So scratch my idea, sorry! :mickey:

starryeyes21
07-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your daughter's lactose intolerance. I'm a vegan. So, chocolate is off the menu for me as well. I know it can be hard when all of your friends are eating chocolate and other goodies all around you. It's hard to be left out.

I bake vegan goodies all the time and they actually sell vegan chocolate. I usually buy it at my nearest health food store. It's made with carob. Now, it doesn't taste the same as "real" chocolate, but it looks the same. So, none of her friends will be the wiser.

Tofutti makes all kinds of milk free goodies. I eat the sour cream and the cream cheese all the time. I'm not going to lie and say it tastes the same, but I really like it. Just be sure to read the labels because some of tofutti's products contain hydrogenated oils. Also, when buying soy cheese watch out for cassein or casseinate. It's a milk product that gives fake cheese more "meltability".

If something is labeled Vegan it will contain no milk in it at all. Tell your daughter Good luck from me. It gets easier. There are so many dairy free options out there. Everything can be replaced :eat: .