PDA

View Full Version : Are we NUTS for wanting to go the week after July 4th?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I've had some major positive changes in my career, and it looks like we'll have a week where I'm moving from one job to another - next week!

One of the first things that came to DW and I first was "LET'S GO TO DISNEY!!", BUT this is historically a major heavy crowd time and a major HOT time to boot!

We're thinking about staying at the POFQ July 8-12. It would be me, my wife, and our 2 year old daughter (she'll be 3 at the end of August). The one plus is that since she's not 3 yet, we can get by a lot cheaper.

We'll probably take it as slow as we can, and spend a lot of time at the resort pool. I don't think it would be worth it to do a water park, with a fun pool right at our resort. Our daughter loves to swim, but any old pool is just fine with her.

Are we NUTS??
I've been in late August when it was hot and fairly crowded, and I've been on President's Day (by mistake, I'll never do that again) when It was literally elbow to elbow through the entire park. It can't be THAT bad, can it?

GrumpyFan
07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
You're not nuts, just a little crazy maybe... But seriously, July is one of the busiest months for WDW, plus the temperatures will be very hot. So, if you're really really serious about it, go for it!

Sounds like you've got the right idea with just taking it easy. But, if you're not planning on spending a lot of time in the parks, I have to ask if Disney is the best place for this kind of vacation?

If you do decide to go, you might want to check out, Dealing with Crowds at WDW (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/crowds/dealingwithcrowds.asp) also Mid-day breaks (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/crowds/middaybreaks.asp).

merlinmagic4
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I would definitely go!!! How exciting to be able to take off on a last minute trip! You know Disney and have the right idea about taking it easy. Do NOT pass this up :thumbsup:

And Congratulations on the positive career changes!

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
You're not nuts, just a little crazy maybe... But seriously, July is one of the busiest months for WDW, plus the temperatures will be very hot. So, if you're really really serious about it, go for it!

Sounds like you've got the right idea with just taking it easy. But, if you're not planning on spending a lot of time in the parks, I have to ask if Disney is the best place for this kind of vacation?

If you do decide to go, you might want to check out, Dealing with Crowds at WDW (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/crowds/dealingwithcrowds.asp) also Mid-day breaks (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/crowds/middaybreaks.asp).

Thanks! And we're definitely going to spend time in the parks, we'll just be doing it at a leisurely pace (as leisurely as you can in July) and not doing it commando style running from ride to ride. We plan on spending a good bit of time in the resort and pool during the heat of the day, and just chilling out.

crazypoohbear
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
GO!!!!
Have fun
Drink lots of water
Go Slow
Take breaks
SWIM
RELAX
with a 2 year old you are probably still up at the crack of dawn so go do EMH leave at noon, sleep, swim, check out the resort, take a boat ride, sleep some more. Go back to the parks after dinner.
You should all do fine
just remember the sunscreen and the water!!!

irish1967
07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Are we NUTS??

Not in the least!

Yes, it is hot!

Yes, it is crowded!

But if you go with the attitude of "we'll do what we can and we'll have a great time doing it" you'll have a wonderful time.

What a great opportunity! Enjoy!

P.S. and since we arrive on July 13 ... if you are nuts, we are nuts and we are decidedly not nuts!

Love of Disney
07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
No...your not crazy, that is when I am going!!

Or, maybe we are both crazy!!! :blush:

:cool:

EditReject
07-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Up until my last trip the end of November 07, my regular time to go was always during 4th of July week. The crowds and the heat always seemed "normal" to me if that makes any sense. When I was there in November, it was like the parks were empty and I thought something was wrong because I was not sweating. ;) Needless to say that is my new favorite time to go. That being said, I will be there in August and I cannot wait. Heat, crowds and all....it does not matter. I will be in WDW!

You are not nuts. You have a solid gameplan for that time of year. Go and have a ball!