View Full Version : second guessing the trip

jonahbear2006
07-02-2008, 02:41 AM
I am starting to second guess the trip. Maybe it is buyer's remorse. We stayed at FW the last two trips in Feb 08 and Apr 07. This year we have booked a room at the beach club for 5 nights. After the bed bug discussion and the gas discussion, I am wondering if I should cancel this and plan for FW again and stay a few more nights, get more park tickets, and not spend time at the resort. I would love to hear people's opinions on this topic and anyone who has camped in FL in Sept, as well. We have 4 kids; 8,6,4,2 for age during this trip and so far they did good camping. i would love to try a high end resort while the kids are young enough to all fit in one room but I am paying $1600 on a credit card for accomodations alone and wondering if maybe I should just stay longer, bank on the free food, and park pound or kick back and enjoy the beach club. Either way, we are going. If we camp we will get 7 day park tickets and stay for 8 nights, if we stay at beach club we will stay 5 nights with 3 day tickets to the parks.

Twinsowner
07-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Easy!! FW here I come!!!!

disneydeb
07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
The kiddos would love the pool at the Beach Club as a change!

Itchy
07-02-2008, 07:47 AM
I hate to answer a question with a question but here goes.

I would ask myself which do you think my family ( kids ) would rather do?

Spend more time in the parks enjoying the rides?

Or spend a few day in the parks and more time at the hotel?

I have never stayed at either resort but my vote would be to spend more time in the parks. You can still spend time at the pools or even get the use of the spa's as a resort guest.

Happy trip:mickey:

I believe
07-02-2008, 07:52 AM
With only a three day park pass, how much time will you actually be at the resort? Considering ages of your children, I am guessing not much.
We took a quickie trip in Jan/Feb and stayed at AKL. We only had three days in the parks, so we were there every second we could be. Our girls only swam once, and it was only for an hour. I walked away from that trip regretting paying extra for a room we only slept in. Most people love AKL, but to me it was a big waste of moo-la.
Have you thought about staying at FW and then maybe on your last day moving over to the Beach Club? If the legistics work out (wher do you put the camper etc) you could have the best of both worlds!

vicster
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I would definitely stay longer. We have stayed at FW in September and it's great. However, with the gas prices we decided to stay at a resort this year (as we have the past three years.) The past couple of years we stayed at WL and loved it. This year we're trying a moderate. We were able to get the free dining which helps offset the price of the resort. Our friends' parents stayed at FW last September and did not get the free dining. I'm not sure if it was because of the cost of the campsite and they'd be giving away more $ in dining than the campsite cost. Any way you look at it 3 days at the parks is not enough time.

WRWDisney
07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
A couple of quick thoughts. While I love Beach Club (just left there last Friday), I am not certain that the pool would be a big selling point for you. Given the age of your children, I would feel very uncomfortable at the Beach Club pool. It is spread out and always crowded. It also has a fair amount on deep spots. Finally, the kiddie section is completely removed from (read you cannot see) the rest of the pool. It is a great pool complex, but I prefer it with children that are a little older (mine are 9 and 12).

Second, you didn't say, but what size accomodations are you looking at at Beach Club? At FW, are you talking true camping or a cabin? That would play a role in my decision making.

I think you may be more happy at FW and with a longer trip. The only concern I would have, is do you have a chance of getting free dining at FW at this late date. My understanding is that it does not transfer with your reservation, but that the new resort would have to have availability in that class of room/offer (i.e., just because you currently have it at BC, does not mean you will get it at FW).

Which ever way you go, I am jealous. we just got back, but will not be back until next year:(

SBETigg
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm a big fan of the deluxes and you would certainly enjoy the Beach Club, but it sounds like you had a great time at FW, that it fit everyone's style, and wow, will you wish you had longer to stay and more time at the parks! Five days with only three days in park is just not enough time. What a tough decision. I understand your dilemma. In the end, I think you may regret not staying longer more than you will enjoy the Beach Club.

KathyMJ
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately, you would lose the free dining if you were to switch resorts at this point. The promotion ended on 6/22. Even though you have a reservation w/ free dining, Disney will not allow you to move to another resort and keep it as part of your package.

Knowing that, I would sit and pound the numbers. Find out which way is more cost effective for you. I think it would depend on whether you were planning on cooking while camping and what type of site you would be booking.

Also, if you are towing a camper, expect to pay a bit more in gas due to the extra weight.

Which ever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a WONDERFUL trip!!

megustamex
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm assuming when you say camping in FW you actually mean tent camping? September is a very hot month in Florida, and while I've only camped in February in the Orlando area (and it's been a bit stifling), I can only imagine how hot it must be in September in a tent without a/c. Has anyone actually done this at FW?

jonahbear2006
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
this is all very true. i talked to a rep today and yes the term is over for free dining. this is why we picked the hotel anyways. we didnt want the extreme heat, the possibility of catching the end of a hurricane or even terenchal downpours and since dining was free, it left some money open for a hotel. Unfortunately, we probably won't spend as much time at the resort as I wish. Hubby is begging for an extra day or two in the parks. We shall see what the future brings. Hopefully we will have a fantastic time at beach. I think we will end the trip by driving to daytona and stay the night there since our last day after we check out, is a full park day. there is a emh and eme at two parks. I dont think i can do the 16 hr drive after 15 hrs in the park, so this may be nice waking up next to the beach, as well. It will work out. Thank you guys for your responses. This will def. help me to feel great about returning to FW anytime of the year, AND, if we stay there every year, we can afford a 5th child.....haha go ahead laugh. We decide our family size on whether or not we can afford Disney twice a year.

KathyMJ
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't know if this helps, but the difference between 3 day and 4 day park passes, for your entire family, is only $42.....total,not per person. And to add 2 more days (5 day passes) would only be a total of $51.20 more!
If you cut back on a few souvenirs, maybe you could add the extra day or days:mickey:

jonahbear2006
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
i know but disney gave us two day park hoppers for free, so we are only paying for a one day pass with no hopper, so adding a 2nd day on is another $307 or real close to that, not sure on the exact number. With HS and Ak, going on the 8th, and using all emh, we can do those parks that day, and that leaves a full day at epcot with emeh and a full day at mk with extra magic evening hours, as well, not sure whether or not I want to buy a 2nd day or not..........hmm. what you you think, guys? eh, might want to. rain could cause lose of something and or not getting everything done. gives us a day of park hopping that we wouldnt have had. heck whats the diff. $1900, $2200. (my husband would say, well, $300)

SBETigg
07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
i know but disney gave us two day park hoppers for free, so we are only paying for a one day pass with no hopper, so adding a 2nd day on is another $307 or real close to that, not sure on the exact number. With HS and Ak, going on the 8th, and using all emh, we can do those parks that day, and that leaves a full day at epcot with emeh and a full day at mk with extra magic evening hours, as well, not sure whether or not I want to buy a 2nd day or not..........hmm. what you you think, guys? eh, might want to. rain could cause lose of something and or not getting everything done. gives us a day of park hopping that we wouldnt have had. heck whats the diff. $1900, $2200. (my husband would say, well, $300)

I changed my mind from my earlier post. You go frequently enough that you may as well go for it and try the Beach Club this time out. You don't need the extra park day. You'll have more time to really enjoy the resort without it, and what's the point of going deluxe if you don't have some time in the resort area, too, right? It's your chance to give it a shot and see how you like a change of pace, change of location. You'll be back to FW for future trips.

jonahbear2006
07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Another question I have is, how do they work the complimentary passes? Will we be thumbprinted. They gave us 6, 2 day passes, and since one of us is 2, he doesn't need it, so is it possible that my husband could use one day, going by himself to Epcot on it, then the next day I could use it taking the 2 yr old to MK? Or will the 2nd day end up belonging to him after he uses it? I know the key to the world cards use the thumbprint but I wasn't sure how this worked with a paper pass. I already have it, they aren't age specific. They all just say 2 day complimentary park hopper on them.

TammiMcMan
07-02-2008, 11:49 AM
We've done tent camping in September and it's still pretty hot and muggy even at night. I'd probably hold off on the camping until a cooler month.

Considering this would be your 3rd trip in less than 18 months, maybe you should just keep the 2 day park hoppers that you got and not even add another day. Trust me, a day spent relaxing at Stormalong Bay is on equal par to spending a day at a water park. Take advantage of your location and stick with Epcot and Hollywood Studios as the two parks. You could walk to both. If you really need to see MK, take advantage of the park hopper option and EMH if you can. Go to MK in the morning, stop by the BC for a late afternoon rest and then go into Epcot for a few of the kids favorites rides and Illuminations.

Your itinerary could look something like this:

1st day arrival: getting settled in, enjoying the resort
2nd day: MK, afternoon resort break, Epcot
3rd day: Stormalong Bay day, poolside games with the kids, campfire and movie on the beach
4th day: AK, afternoon resort break, HS
5th day: Stormalong Bay day, character breakfast, maybe Boardwalk in the evening for games and ice cream
6th day checkout: packing up, DTD and heading home

This takes advantage of your park hoppers and you get to spend a little time at each place. Having a break the next day, no one gets overloaded and you feel better that you may have spent a lot of money, but you've enjoyed the resort to the fullest, without sacraficing your park time.

TammiMcMan
07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Another question I have is, how do they work the complimentary passes? Will we be thumbprinted.I thought everyone was thumbprinted now, as they're not supposed to be transferrable. Maybe they'd let you trade them in for 2 single park tickets instead. I can't see how that would make a difference to Disney.

WRWDisney
07-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Another thought. If they are true two day park hopper tickets, and behave like normal tickets, you can add days to them. Once they have been used at least one day (and in your case, that is the day to do it) you could go to the BC concierge desk and have them add as many days as you want. If they have been used, then they will be worth the current list price for the type of ticket they are. If they are 2 day park hoppers, they are currently worth $195.96/ea (for adult tickets). To take them to three day park hoppers would cost $68.16/ea (less than the cost of a one day non-hopper ticket) or you could make them 4 day park hoppers for $77.75/ea.

Remember, this is assuming they behave as regular tickets. But, I would hold off on ordering the 1 day tickets until I get there and see if this works.

After writing this, I realize that all of this assumes you are not having to buy the one day to get the free dining. Anyway, some food for thought.

jonahbear2006
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
we bought the 1 day, no park hopper option to get the free dining plan. That isn't something we are willing to wager, after all, it is one of the reasons we are going. We cant really afford to go this much but we used stimulus to pay off last trip in feb. so we feel like we are just at square 1 with this trip anyways.

I will see if i can do that. If I can add on a 3rd day, then that would be great. I am going to call though and ask about either us both using the pass on separate days or splitting it off into two one day park tickets. that is prob a better idea. Thanks for the idea.

megustamex
07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Can you call Disney and ask if you can add days to the free tickets?

megustamex
07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Oops, sorry, just saw that you are calling!

PetefromRI
07-02-2008, 06:27 PM
How about canceling your package and get 2 connecting rooms at the Pop and passes for the week?You'll get plenty of theme park time and a nice resort with three huge pools.

Brer Longhorn
07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=jonahbear2006;1675533 We have 4 kids; 8,6,4,2 for age during this trip and so far they did good camping. i would love to try a high end resort while the kids are young enough to all fit in one roomQUOTE]

Hi Jonahbear2006,

Just thought I'd give you another great reason for a stay at the Beach Club. As you may already know, you are really inhibited on your choices of places to stay when you get to a larger family. I have 4 kids as well and we have outgrown our favorite resort the Poly. Even with some begging on my part about having small children - almost identical in ages to yours, they just won't let us stay there. Once your 2 year old gets to 3, it's adios a lot of choices. Go enjoy the Beach Club why you still can in a standard room (if that's what you are thinking) from here on out your options get much smaller - not that I'm complaining too much - we are still at Disney, right! Fort Wilderness will always be there to welcome you and your family of 6!

TammiMcMan
07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
If I can add on a 3rd day, then that would be great. I am going to call though and ask about either us both using the pass on separate days or splitting it off into two one day park tickets. that is prob a better idea. Thanks for the idea.Basically, if I'm reading this all correctly, you have 6 complimentary 2-day park hoppers for everyone in the family (which gives you 1 extra due to the babies age), plus the 5 1-day single park tickets that you bought for the free dining package. Seems that Disney could offer to take your 6 2-day park hoppers, plus the 5 1-days and simply issue you 5 3-day park hoppers. I'd try calling and ask for guest services specifically. I'm sure they can give you your best option and worst case, you have two days where you can park hop and one day where you can't.

OogieBoogieMan
07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I sent you a PM.

jonahbear2006
07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive on this whole topic. It helps to have all of these different point of views. I think that the three days will probably be enough park-ing, this trip. I will really enjoy just hanging at the resort a few days and like I said, our check out day will be park hopping, the 8th, to AK and HS, so we have the third, fourth, and sixth to see the resort, do DD, go mini golfing, and see "the world" a bit more outside of the parks. I would really like to also get some time in for family pictures, since I am a pro. photographer, and we have yet to do this. Sounds like our sched. will be full as is. I DO wish we could stay longer and enjoy the dining plan more though. I LOVE eating at Disney!!!!!!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-06-2008, 07:54 AM
I know this wasn't your question - how about doing FW for the bulk of your stay - at the beginning. Then doing a night or two at the BC to get a little bit of both?

LudwigVonDrake
07-06-2008, 11:54 AM
The pool at the Beach Club is awesome and the kids will love it :swim:

Young@Heart
07-06-2008, 12:10 PM
It sounds like you made a great decision, and I'm sure you'll be happy w/ it! :mickey: For whatever reason, our first family trip was probably the most "relaxed" of all our trips. I had been to WDW a few times before, but it was the first time for DH and DC (then just the 2 boys). We went to each park, but spent 2 days at resort/DTD w/ no parks. We could have gone, since we had 6 day tickets, but we were having so much fun at POFQ we didn't see the need to leave! :thumbsup: I'm sure you'll love BC, and you'll have more than enough fun on your park days that you won't have to worry about adding more.