PDA

View Full Version : ipod help

Mr. Brass Bonanza
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I want to get my wife an ipod for her birthday, but need help knowing what I'm getting. I want to get her the full-blown ipod. What exactly and I looking for? What am I not looking for? For instance, I see the Nano advertised everywhere. Is that the full ipod, or a scaled down one?

Thanks!

J9
07-02-2008, 12:39 AM
You probably want the ipod classic.

They come in (I think) 80gb and 120gb. (I could be wrong, since Apple keeps changing the capacities on them though!) They come in black or white. They'll hold music, photos, videos or you could use it a pseudo-flash drive as well.

There's also the ipod shuffle which is a little clip on thing. I wouldn't really recommend that unless she's going to be using it at the gym or something like that. They don't have screens so you really can't have playlists or anything like that.

The nanos are like mini versions of the ipod classic. They don't hold nearly as many songs, but they are much smaller and thinner. They come is a lot of different colors.

Lastly, the newest thing is the ipod touch. I don't know much about them except that they seem to be like the iphone without the actual phone part.

Magic Smiles
07-02-2008, 12:56 AM
My DS has both the original ipod and the itouch. The itouch is so much better! I have the new ZUNE (microsofts answer to the ipod), which is also very good. The ZUNE also has FM radio on it, but no games.

magicofdisney
07-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Ok, the iPod Nano is only 8GB while the iPod Classic is 80GB! I'm not sure what the Nano fascination is other than color variety and maybe a smaller footprint. As a wife, I'd prefer a Classic over the Nano.

KineGirl
07-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Our family has a classic (DD) a Nano (DH) and I have a Zune. I like mine the best though DDs classic comes in a close close second. I can dl everything but games - which I could care less about - including music, videos, pictures, radio, podcasts & sharing with other Zunes. I use it for everything you can think of from watching videos on the road to listening to music while I run. The only real reason I like my Zune better than DDs Classic is because I think it has slightly better contrast. The images seem to be brighter and cleaner. Of course others may feel differently.

All that being said ... Id love a Touch! :blush:

NotaGeek
07-02-2008, 03:20 AM
You probably want the ipod classic.

They come in (I think) 80gb and 120gb. (I could be wrong, since Apple keeps changing the capacities on them though!) They come in black or white. They'll hold music, photos, videos or you could use it a pseudo-flash drive as well.

There's also the ipod shuffle which is a little clip on thing. I wouldn't really recommend that unless she's going to be using it at the gym or something like that. They don't have screens so you really can't have playlists or anything like that.

The nanos are like mini versions of the ipod classic. They don't hold nearly as many songs, but they are much smaller and thinner. They come is a lot of different colors.

Lastly, the newest thing is the ipod touch. I don't know much about them except that they seem to be like the iphone without the actual phone part.

I would definitely get tie iPod Touch ... the classic iPod is definitely only being sold because there are still those models in existence. The touch is the newest technology and will no doubt take over and be the only thing offered eventually. I hope to get one in the next 6 months myself. The technology is awesome, the only thing missing is the phone part ... it even has internet so you can buy music from the iPod.

J9
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I would definitely get tie iPod Touch ... the classic iPod is definitely only being sold because there are still those models in existence. The touch is the newest technology and will no doubt take over and be the only thing offered eventually. I hope to get one in the next 6 months myself. The technology is awesome, the only thing missing is the phone part ... it even has internet so you can buy music from the iPod.

I also would like a touch, however...the difference in the amount of gb is daunting!

The ipod touches only range from 8gb to 32gb even though they cost anywhere from $299-$499

The ipod classic on the other hand range from 80gb to 160gb and only cost up to $349.

Even though the touch is cool, I think you get more bang for your buck with the classic.

It all really depends on what your looking for.

(Also - if you have any children or any nieces or nephews in college, try to get their school ID and order it with the university discount! It's not much, but it's something!)

RedSoxFan
07-02-2008, 08:34 AM
I have the 32gb IPOD Touch. I love it. It's very thin and lightweight. My kids have the new ipod nano but want my ipod touch.

laprana
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree with others who say go for the iTouch! My sister just got one a couple months ago and it is amazing! I'm jealous! :D She has the 32gb and even though she has a TON of music, it's not even close to being filled up. If your wife really has a lot of music that she's going to put on an iPod (I'm thinking like thousands of CDs), then you should probably go with the classic with a higher gb. I have the classic 30gb and really like it, but sheesh, is the iTouch cool! It has wifi built into it, so you can access the internet anywhere you can jump onto a wifi signal - hotels, malls, coffee shops, etc. Good luck with your decision! :thumbsup:

Minnie Imagineer
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
iPod shuffle: 1 GB (240 songs, $49) available in sliver, blue, green, prurple, red (product red)
2 GB (500 songs, $69) same colors

iPod nano: 4 GB (1000 songs, $149) available in silver
8 GB (2000 songs, $199) available in silver, pink, blue, green, black red (product red)

iPod classic: 80 GB (20,000 songs , $249) available in black and silver
160 GB (40,000 songs , $349) silver or balck

iPod touch: 8 GB ($299), 16 GB ($399), 32 GB ($499) available in black

magicofdisney
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Now that it looks like your decision will be simple ;), I wanted to add one more thing. 80gb may seem like a lot, but if she wants to download videos or movies, that can get eaten up pretty quickly. Just an FYI. :)

DisneyDog
07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Do you have an Apple store in a mall near you? You might want to pop in there and get some advice from the staff there. They really know their stuff and will walk you through everything you need to know.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
07-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone! I decided to go with the 80 GB Classic. She may want to download everything under the sun, so it's better to be safe than sorry. I personally don't like the color selection, but don't judge a book by it's cover.

Thanks!

TikiGoddess
07-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I have an ipod classic (80gb) in black. Black was too boring for me, so I ordered a case from a company on ebay. It's a hard metal case and they came in a rainbow of colors. I would recommend getting a hard case to protect your investment (and jazz up the look of it).

The only drawback to the 80gb is that while running I wish I had something smaller. I do have a nano that has an armband so for races I use that. The nano is so small that I actually lost one (just found it while cleaning out the car) -- the 80gb is harder to lose because of its size.

There's an Apple store at Westfarms, and they're very helpful!

TikiG

Flower
07-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I LOVE my Ipod Classic 160GB - It is nowhere close to being full, and I have movies, audio books on it, TONS of music, pictures, etc on it - it is awesome. :number1:

garymacd
07-06-2008, 10:50 AM
I have an ipod nano. It does everything I need it to do - music for workouts and working in the garden. I also have a Palm Treo which does everything else for me, including play music, schedule my life and is also a phone, but it won't walk the dog.

We just gave our youngest daughter an iPod Touch for her birthday. This is pretty much the full-blown unit. It only has 8 GB and she has it full. They come in larger capacities depending on what you want to put on it - just music, pictures, videos, movies, day planner, etc. - and how much you want to spend.
It also has a built-in broadband card, so when she sits anywhere that has WiFi access, she can access the internet for free. It is NOT a phone...and it also will not walk the dog!

We got it at a large big box store. Name has something to do with the COST of things and that it is a COmpany. It was about $20 cheaper than anywhere else I looked. Don't know if I could say costco. Oh well.

I don't know much about the iPhone. They are not for sale in Canada until July 11. But if you just want to play music, a classic iPod Nano is probably all you need. The newer ones will allow you to play videos and movies and store files and pictures.