PDA

View Full Version : Disney Rewards Card

laward32
07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah! I got a Chase Disney Rewards card. What I was wondering was how often a year and at what time of the year does Disney offer discounts for Disney Rewards cardholders? Looking at maybe an early January 2009 trip, do they ever offer anything for this time?

disney323
07-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Different rewards happen at different times throughout the year, but one that has been there each year we go is the private meeting and a Free 5x7 photo with 2 special disney characters! Last time it was Mickey and Pluto! This was at Epcot in Innovations (I think West but not sure). We're going in October so I'm hoping there are a few things going on. Check out the website, do they say anything there? I'll have to check too. Have fun!

DestinationWDW
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Congrads for getting the card

GOLFDISNEY72
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
:confused:I have been debating all week if I should get one. I got the Annual Pass this year because we are making 2 trips. Now I feel like I need the card.

GBBT
07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I've got the card but never can seem to use the rewards.They give you 1 point for every $100 you spend.:secret:Now go on the reward website and look at the items you can redeem.A sweatshirt is about 32 points,calculate that into the $100 you spend to get 1 point and that sweatshirt will end up being a $3200 sweatshirt.I've never used the points for our trips,but it doesn't seem to us that it pays to use it.:(

BigRedDad
07-01-2008, 10:08 PM
We put everything on our Disney Visa card. The points add up quickly. We get about 30 points a month.

Donald's Girl
07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
GBBT,
Since it is a 1% cash back program, it's not a $3200 sweatshirt, it's a $32 sweatshirt. As for not being able to use rewards, I find the best way is to always use it on our trips.

I get the card loaded just prior to going to WDW and at check in, give card to CM and have the credit applied to our account. Then, as we use our Key to apply all charges back to our room the credit covers the charges.
We also use the card for everything (groceries, gas, etc.), pay it off every month and never have less than $200 credit for each trip.
I think that anyone who ever goes to any of the Disney parks is crazy not to take advantage of this program.

In addition, there are many special offers that come with the card. Plus, the benefit of charging any package to the card (and you get the points when you charge it) and then having 6 months interest free to pay it off makes it invaluable!

djsharp
07-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I just applied for one a few days ago and got approved!:woohoo: been debating it since I started planning. Now I just hope it gets here before we leave! Does anybody know how long it generally takes for the cards to show up? Also, I booked my hotel through my AAA discount, if I pay for the balance once I get there using the new Disney Card, do I get another discount?

laward32
07-01-2008, 11:54 PM
In addition, there are many special offers that come with the card. Plus, the benefit of charging any package to the card (and you get the points when you charge it) and then having 6 months interest free to pay it off makes it invaluable!

This is what I was wondering about. I thought my sister said this was a perk. I thought she also said that on her last trip in May if you were a Disney card holder you got some kind of discount for her room. :mickey:

laward32
07-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Does anybody know how long it generally takes for the cards to show up?
They told me on the phone today I should have my card in 7-10 days if not sooner. Hope that helps.:mickey:

djsharp
07-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Yah that's what they told me too, but I know that some of my other cards have said the same thing and I got them in less then a week. I was just wondering if anybody who has one already remembers how fast it came to them. Thanks for the confirmation though

KylesMom
07-02-2008, 12:16 AM
the $100 you spend to get 1 point and that sweatshirt will end up being a $3200 sweatshirt.I've never used the points for our trips,but it doesn't seem to us that it pays to use it.
Goodness, I hope Chase isn't that remiss on educating their new cardholders!

We've been cardholders since Day 1 when the preferred card switched from AmEx to Visa. We have approximately $375 in rewards dollars from last June to this July to spend almost anywhere we want at Disney World. Usually we spend our rewards dollars at World of Disney (since we get an additional 10% off ) & and we usually choose items such as picture frames, collages, afghans, jerseys, shirts, backpacks, kitchen items and scrapbooking supplies. However, if we chose to do so, we could use it towards our lodging, dining or room credit.

The actual discount you may receive on a room is speculative - it all depends on what their bookings are for that time of year. However, if you decide to use the card for groceries, gas, car repairs, cell phone, vacation pre-pay, etcetera, you could have a nice "chunk of change" for the following years' vacation. The key is to NOT carry a balance. I will say, however, that my Chase Visa now carries a lower APR than my Discover Card, pays the same "dividend (1%)" and I can use the rewards at our favorite place!

Good luck and happy shopping! I know I'll be having a blast in 18 days spending my rewards! :mickey:

Addition to Post:

if I pay for the balance once I get there using the new Disney Card, do I get another discount?
The short answer is no. Only one discount will apply. Since you've booked AAA, there would be no additional discount for paying your trip when you arrive with your Disney Visa. However, you would certainly earn points!

BMan62
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I get the card loaded just prior to going to WDW and at check in, give card to CM and have the credit applied to our account. Then, as we use our Key to apply all charges back to our room the credit covers the charges.

I like this idea! I didn't realize you could just have the balance on your Rewards card applied to your KTTW card. That would save all the hassles of keeping track of how many rewards dollars you still have to use up.

Thanks for the tip!

brownie
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
You can find out information on discounts and offers at Disney Rewards VISA Card (http://disneyrewards.disney.go.com/). You should also receive a quarterly newsletter that sometimes has special vacation offers, and be sure to check your bill inserts.

MushuGrl
07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
The six months interest free vacations RAWK.

sorarail
07-03-2008, 07:58 AM
GBBT,
Since it is a 1% cash back program, it's not a $3200 sweatshirt, it's a $32 sweatshirt. As for not being able to use rewards, I find the best way is to always use it on our trips.

We also use the card for everything (groceries, gas, etc.), pay it off every month and never have less than $200 credit for each trip.
I think that anyone who ever goes to any of the Disney parks is crazy not to take advantage of this program.

:thumbsup:

Rewards dollars are free money for us because we pay our credit card in full each month.
We've had our Disney Visa card for almost 5 years. In that time, we've stockpiled over 900 rewards dollars. Those dollars are going to get transferred to a rewards card in September that we will take with us to WDW for our 25th anniversary trip in Nov. That card will easily cover all our meals and fun purchases (it's just the two of us) - any we don't use will be saved for our Disney cruise next year - at which time we will have saved up more dollars. I love my Disney Rewards Visa!

Wells
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
...any we don't use will be saved for our Disney cruise next year - at which time we will have saved up more dollars. I love my Disney Rewards Visa!
Don't forgrt that the points, once transfered to a rewards card, expire at the end of the year, so if you're planning on using some this year and some next year, don't transfer all of your points at once......

KylesMom
07-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Don't forget that the points, once transfered to a rewards card, expire at the end of the year Actually, the rewards card will expire the following December after you order it. I ordered my Rewards Card last month. It will expire in December of 2009. This is the way it's been since we ordered our first Rewards card a number of years ago. I agree, don't transfer your rewards until you're ready to use them!

BMan62
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Info on the Rewards Card itself:

http://disneyrewards.disney.go.com/aboutrewards/redeemingrewards.html

http://disneyrewards.disney.go.com/cardbenefits/faqs.html

Moderator: Please remove the above links if they are against TOS.

The information is available through the Disney Visa card site.

Donald's Girl
07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
One thing to also remember is that you can't transfer less than 20 points. So, if you order your card, and know that you will be going on your trip after your monthly closing date, leave 20 points on when you order your card.

Last year, we were going to be arriving 1 day after the statement closing date. When we got to WDW, I called Disney Rewards and they loaded the balance of my points on my card. (It came to about 28 points.) If I had not left the earlier 20 points on I wouldn't have been able to use the final 8 points. And we all know, when at the World, every last penny matters!

mdhiggin
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I love my Disney Visa also, but watch out when using the 6 months 0% interest on vacations. If you use this card regularly, like I do, your payments towards other purchases will be applied to the 0% balance first. It's a good perk, though, if you pay for your vacation and nothing else on the card.

Beast_fanatic
07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I love my Disney Visa also, but watch out when using the 6 months 0% interest on vacations. If you use this card regularly, like I do, your payments towards other purchases will be applied to the 0% balance first. It's a good perk, though, if you pay for your vacation and nothing else on the card.

Payments apply to the regular balance first and then to the 0% balance. I am 100% sure on this as I've used the 0% financing more than once.

EditReject
07-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Payments apply to the regular balance first and then to the 0% balance. I am 100% sure on this as I've used the 0% financing more than once.

Nice catch Beast Fanatic! I work in the marketing department of a major credit card company and standard industry practice with payment allocation is to apply payments to lower APR balances first. The exception is what you pointed out above. Chase does not do this when it comes to promotional balances for the Disney vacation packages, but they do for all else.

thumperbug
07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
DH and I each have our own DW Visa and we love them. Depending on when our next trip is depends on how much we use the card. When we are planning we use our Southwest Visa and use the free rewards on that to travel and from that time to our actual trip we use the Disney card to rack up rewards. Like many card holders, we use our cards for gas, groceries, etc and pay if off that the end of the month. Have not found any flaw with the card yet and I love when they have "specials" where you get 5 times the amount of rewards.

brad817
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
The Disney Visa Card is the greatest thing since sliced bread for all Disney fans. As has been mentioned before, just call to get your points put on the "gift card" and you can use it for just about anything on property.

I've always wondered about the 0% for 6 months. When I look for packages on disneyworld.com, I can't seem to find an option to use this. We're looking to book a small package for December, and I didn't see anything going through the process. What packages can you use it for?

Beast_fanatic
07-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I've always wondered about the 0% for 6 months. When I look for packages on disneyworld.com, I can't seem to find an option to use this. We're looking to book a small package for December, and I didn't see anything going through the process. What packages can you use it for?

Any package booking qualifies for the 0% financing so long as you use your Disney Visa to book it. I'd suggest going through Magical Journeys as they can book it for you and then they'll keep an eye out for you for any specials that might apply to your trip. :thumbsup:

mickeefan
07-07-2008, 08:08 AM
We just received an offer which we signed up for. It was not automatic. We had to sign up for it.If we use our Disney Visa to purchase groceries in the months of July, August, and September we will receive 5 times the amount of rewards we would normally get. There is a cap of $100 on it.

KSS
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
We just received an offer which we signed up for. It was not automatic. We had to sign up for it.If we use our Disney Visa to purchase groceries in the months of July, August, and September we will receive 5 times the amount of rewards we would normally get. There is a cap of $100 on it.

WOW!!! where did you see this.That is a great deal I would love to take advantage of!!!

TINKERBELL_82
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know what the credit criteria is for this card? DH and I have good credit, but I had a friend (who also supposedly had good credit) who said they were very very difficult to get (she could not get one).

I really really want one, especially since they came out with the Tinkerbell design. :tink: I don't want to apply if I can't get it though.

Thanks! :mickey:

laward32
07-08-2008, 12:59 PM
When you get on to apply, it gives a little check list and if you say yes to any of the questions it says something about not being qualified. I can't remember exactly. But I would read the questions and see if you say no to all of them and then I would apply.:mickey:

TINKERBELL_82
07-08-2008, 02:46 PM
I took the plunge and applied. I didn't get an immediate approval, rather a "your application is under review" message, which makes me nervous. Has anyone else gotten this?

Hopefully they will approve me since we also have the mortgage through Chase! :mickey:

laward32
07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I took the plunge and applied. I didn't get an immediate approval, rather a "your application is under review" message, which makes me nervous. Has anyone else gotten this?

Hopefully they will approve me since we also have the mortgage through Chase! :mickey:
I got the same thing when I applied and last Tuesday I received a phone call from a lady and she said she was reviewing my application and needed to ask me a few questions. I talked with her for about 5 minutes. She then put me on hold for about 5 more minutes and then came back and said I was approved and what my limit would be. She said I should be receiving my card in 7-10 days. Hope someone calls you soon.:mickey:

TINKERBELL_82
07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I got the same thing when I applied and last Tuesday I received a phone call from a lady and she said she was reviewing my application and needed to ask me a few questions. I talked with her for about 5 minutes. She then put me on hold for about 5 more minutes and then came back and said I was approved and what my limit would be. She said I should be receiving my card in 7-10 days. Hope someone calls you soon.:mickey:

Thats awesome! Congrats! I was talking to someone else (who just happens to have a net worth of a few million dollars), and they told me the same thing that happened to you also happened to them. Your stories give me hope.;)

How long after you applied did they call you?

laward32
07-08-2008, 07:36 PM
How long after you applied did they call you?
I think it was about a month. But don't quote me on that. I can't remember exactly when I applied. Sorry I am not more helpful.:mickey:

TINKERBELL_82
07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Woo Hoo! Just wanted to give an update that mine was approved too! :mickey:

Thanks for your help laward! :)

brad817
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
WOW!!! where did you see this.That is a great deal I would love to take advantage of!!!

Wow is right. I'd be interested in knowing how you found out about that offer. I don't see any mention on disneyrewards.com or any correspondence I've received from Chase. Please advise.

Beast_fanatic
07-10-2008, 11:00 PM
My husband received a similar offer by mail. It was specific to his card. I also have a card, and did not get the offer (although I had gotten one in the past that he did not get). The offers are targeted to specific groups and cannot be shared. Hopefully you'll be fortunate enough to get one in the future.

KylesMom
07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Yep, many of the offers that Chase sends out are customer-specific to get you to utilize the card more. Before we started using the Disney Visa card exclusively for everything we purchase, we would get offers like this. You'd get double rewards for Groceries, Gas, Entertainment, etcetera if you spent over a certain dollar amount each month on the product of their choice.

Just a heads-up on the grocery rewards - Chase gets to decide what is classified as a "grocery store". Many of the stores that we shop at (Jewel, Super Target, Super Wal-Mart) were not classified as grocery stores in their system. Therefore they didn't have to pay us the extra rewards. This is the only area that I have been dissatisfied about when using this card. I called customer service, but there was nothing they could do for me. Hopefully the stores you shop at will be in their system!

RALPH
07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
"We also use the card for everything (groceries, gas, etc.), pay it off every month and never have less than $200 credit for each trip.
I think that anyone who ever goes to any of the Disney parks is crazy not to take advantage of this program."

I agree. I even put my car and HO insurance on it. Your gonna pay that anyway.

At the beginning of the year they had a bonus reward thing for food and gas. I think you got 3% but I could be wrong. In the time since our last trip, we have accumulated a little over 400 dollars in points. DW just cashed them in and got the card. That will pay for a nice breakfast our entire trip, or a couple of very nice TS dinners!

Beast_fanatic
07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
We received the 5X offer in email yesterday. Mine was for 5X points on purchases over $1000 in the appropriate categories, and hubby's was on purchases over $750.

jonahbear2006
07-12-2008, 09:39 AM
the card makes it possible for us to even go to Disney. We have 4 kids and we only make $30,000 a year. If we didn't have this card, we couldn't go because without the 6mths free interest there is no way we could charge a vacation and get out of this without snowballing in to debt, or being able to pay the vacation off the day we book. So, we love the card! I haven't bothered with points yet. We only have 30pts at this time, I think.

TINKERBELL_82
07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I just thought of another question- can you get a free photo for every trip? DH and I are annual passholders and we go pretty frequently..:confused:

AuntDJ
07-13-2008, 07:41 PM
I have not read this entire thread, but I am going to assume you are talking about the Epcot free 5x7 pic....

I just returned and we received 2....one on each day...I have had the card every time we go, but this is the first time I have used this perk. It is my understanding that there is not a cap on how many you can get. But the line made it prohibitive to more than once a day. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing this as the line was only about 20 minutes and well worth any wait!

It was GREAT! One visit, it was Mickey and Pluto, they played, posed and even danced around with us...the 2nd time, it was Mickey, Minnie and Goofy...also tons of funs.....

The only thing I would say, is NO MATTER what the folks giving you the coupons say, you MUST redeem the coupons at Epcot...they told us we could do it at any Photopass print place, so we were headed to the Studios, but the girl working said they weren't supposed to redeem them, but she did it for me....

Enjoy your card!

DJ

TINKERBELL_82
07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
I have not read this entire thread, but I am going to assume you are talking about the Epcot free 5x7 pic....

I just returned and we received 2....one on each day...I have had the card every time we go, but this is the first time I have used this perk. It is my understanding that there is not a cap on how many you can get. But the line made it prohibitive to more than once a day. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing this as the line was only about 20 minutes and well worth any wait!

It was GREAT! One visit, it was Mickey and Pluto, they played, posed and even danced around with us...the 2nd time, it was Mickey, Minnie and Goofy...also tons of funs.....

The only thing I would say, is NO MATTER what the folks giving you the coupons say, you MUST redeem the coupons at Epcot...they told us we could do it at any Photopass print place, so we were headed to the Studios, but the girl working said they weren't supposed to redeem them, but she did it for me....

Enjoy your card!

DJ

Perfect- this is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks. :-)

djsharp
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Just an FYI... I'm hoping I'm not the only stupid one here... If you have your Disney Visa as your room charge card, make sure you BRING the actual Visa with you if you want to take advantage of the 10% at WOD as they won't do it without seeing the card.

TINKERBELL_82
07-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Just an FYI... I'm hoping I'm not the only stupid one here... If you have your Disney Visa as your room charge card, make sure you BRING the actual Visa with you if you want to take advantage of the 10% at WOD as they won't do it without seeing the card.

I'm not sure I understand They have never kept my cc when I checked in to my resort. They just swiped it and gave it back with my key to the world card...:confused:

momofdisneyprincess
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I think what the pp meant was they left the card at their resort and thought that because they were using that card to pay for their room the 10% discount at WOD was automatically applied when paying with the room key. It is not, you have to show the actual card.

BMan62
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure I understand They have never kept my cc when I checked in to my resort. They just swiped it and gave it back with my key to the world card...:confused:

Many people lock their credit cards, wallet, keys, etc. in the room safe and only carry their KTTW card, and maybe a small amount of cash, to the parks and DTD.

If you are going to take advantage of the 10% discount for having a Disney Visa at World of Disney (WOD) at DTD, you must show the actual Disney Visa card. You don't have to actually use that card, but if you show it, you get 10% off your purchase.