PDA

View Full Version : Tons of Points to use. What to do with them?!

AmBo
07-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Okay, my father has a TON of points he forgot to roll over that need to be used by the end of Sept. What to do?! Can we "rent" these points out to a family who'd be willing to buy the points? It's something like 200/300+ points!

Heeeelp! :confused:

Mackflava99
07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
what year are they for 2008?
if so- you should be able to sell them

KineGirl
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
You def can sell those points. There are several sites where you can list your available points. They always seem to go fast too!.. especially if you have a popular home resort

AmBo
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Yes, for 2008. I placed a post on a popular disney forum that has a section for renting points. We have 310 to use by Sept 30!

Our home is OKW :cloud9:

Thanks guys!

FiggyFan
07-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Another option is to use the points to make an exchange into Interval International. Look at pages 66 and 41 of your father's 2007-2008 Vacation Planner for information. I've never tried this, so I would suggest calling Member Services to get more details.

To summarize, you reserve a week at a DVC resort, trade that week into Interval International, and get time at an Interval International resort in exchange. The week at Interval international can be sometime in the future - even after your father's September deadline. You will have to find accomodations at some DVC resort for a solid week in September to make this work - there are restrictions if the week you trade is less than 60 days in the future.

AmBo
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Another option is to use the points to make an exchange into Interval International. Look at pages 66 and 41 of your father's 2007-2008 Vacation Planner for information. I've never tried this, so I would suggest calling Member Services to get more details.

To summarize, you reserve a week at a DVC resort, trade that week into Interval International, and get time at an Interval International resort in exchange. The week at Interval international can be sometime in the future - even after your father's September deadline. You will have to find accomodations at some DVC resort for a solid week in September to make this work - there are restrictions if the week you trade is less than 60 days in the future.

Wow, this sounds like one heck of a loophole! :number1:

tomatoe pie
07-25-2008, 04:14 PM
i recently bought a resale that had pts in the bank and 3 pts. that had to be used by 8-1-08. when i called ms to make a res. using those 3 pts. i was told that i could not use them unless i had a resv. and would be staying in the villas before 8-1-08. therefore, i have to forfit the 3 pts. because there were no rooms available during that time period. i really thought that you could use them to reserve a room in the future, but was told not.:(

i am planning to use the banked pts. to take an adventures by disney trip in 09. they actually have serveral that i would like to take.:thumbsup:

FiggyFan
07-26-2008, 11:50 AM
The day points are considered "used" is the day for which you have a room, not the day you make the reservation.

I really has to work that way. If it didn't, the 11 month / 7 month reservation windows would be almost useless. My use year starts in August. A few months ago, I was able to use my August 2008 points to make a reservation for January 2009. The points were not available on the day I made the reservation, but they will be available on the day I will be in the room, so DVC accepted the reservation. If they didn't do that, I couldn't make the reservation until next month - only 5 months ahead.

Even the trade into Interval International that I suggested in an earlier post follows that rule from DVC's point of view. In that case, you actually reserve a DVC room and trade that room to Interval International. It just so happens that Interval International lets you delay taking one of their rooms as payment.