PDA

View Full Version : Movies that should be PG-13

disneycutie165
07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I just turned 13, and now I have a bigger range of movies I can see. Some of the Movies I've seen lately are too inappropriate to be PG! I was really surprised!
PG movies that should be PG-13-
"Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"
"Big"- starring Tom Hanks
"Grease"
"Hairspray"

The reason I am bringing this up is because I have a 10 year old cousin and I showed her "Grease". I had not watched it in a long time so I forgot about all the bad stuff! I felt really bad because I showed her something that she is not allowed to see.:(

Please give me a list of ones you think should be PG-13. Thanks!

scoot241
07-01-2008, 09:56 AM
PG-13 was implemented July 1, 1984. Any movies prior to July 1, 1984 were either PG or R. In fact, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Gremlins were the impetus for the PG-13 rating (according to Wikipedia). Steven Spielberg originally recommended PG-14, but the MPAA after consulting with movie theater owners instituted PG-13.

It wasn't until 1990 that the standards for PG films were narrowed. Movies such as "Big" and "Spaceballs" still got in under the PG rating in the late 1980s.

SBETigg
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Grease came out when I was in fifth grade, and I don't recall being particularly traumatized by anything in it, or in the movie Big. My parents were always available to talk things through with me, and I think that helps. Good for you for being aware of the impressions on younger viewers.

WDWFREAK101
07-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Not many people know that Steven Spielberg was the one that caused the PG-13 rating with films like Temple Of Doom and Gremlins. So i think that of all films, those should be responsible for movies that should be turned into PG-13

LauraleeH
07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't know about PG movies that should be PG-13, but I do know that a lot of the PG-13 movies I've seen recently should have been rated R. I think people, especially kids, are too desensitized these days.

I also have a younger cousin that I love to watch movies with (She's my best friend), and I think that's very mature and sweet of you to watch out for her like that :thumbsup:

Rhetoric2000
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Interesting stuff: I've always wondered that context needs to be considered centrally to censorship, which it certainly isn't over here (we have an equivalent at 12 rather than 13) to the extent that it probably should.

As has been noted the only movie that was released prior to the creation of the PG13 certificate was Hairspray (assuming you mean the recent musical rather than the original) which I would be happy to take a child to see since it has life messages that transcend any "rude bits" that might be in it.

Grease on the other hand augments whatever language/etc. that might be in it with a frankly horrible ending (due to misunderstanding that the show is suppose to end on a high rather than a satirically unpleasant note) and as such deserves consideration with a higher certificate.

The other movies you mention I certainly understand - the problem with things like the Indy movies is that blockbusters by nature are likely to be action/violence packed and it's a question of where you draw the line (Spielberg wouldn't take his 12 year old to see Jurassic Park when it first opened).

I think it's a matter of consequences - the average "disaster" movie (and most hero movies like Indy) for instance demonstrates consequences to all of its violence/action and thus is more worthy of a PG/13 rating than say a James Bond movie that may show the same amont cumilatively of violence, but to which there are no emotional or physical consequences whatsoever.

I suppose which movies "should" be censored for the under 13s depends on how much you feel that a single, say, swear word or image of nudity means that a youngster should immediately barred from seeing it - or whether the consequences presented within the movie are more important.

pink
07-03-2008, 06:28 PM
PG-13 was implemented July 1, 1984. Any movies prior to July 1, 1984 were either PG or R.

You're correct. I just found out about this a few months ago. I made my DBF rent "The Poltergeist" and he saw that it was PG and was bummed because he thought it wouldn't be scary. Boy were we wrong, it was a great movie and would definitley be rated PG-13 if it came out today. I also noticed on Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark was only PG too.

I guess you should be more careful with what movies you rent if you don't feel comfortable watching them. Make sure they were made after 1984. :mickey: