PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jiko..

disneygirlie11
07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
I ate at Boma last year and absolutely did not like it. I thought it was my worst meal I have ever had at WDW. I didn't like the way everything was seasoned...it all tasted sweet to me. That being said, would I still like Jiko? I don't know how similar these two are as far as spices go. TIA :mickey:

LauraF
07-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I've only ever eaten at Boma for breakfast so I'm not entirely sure on flavor profiles.

But the two restaurants are very far apart in my estimation anyway. Jikos is a signature place and is probably one of the better hidden ones. I was blown away when I went there last and I'm a picky eater. The service is excellent and the variety of food is phenomenal - everything from filet mignon with mac & cheese to a quinoa and bean dishes for the vegetarians (that was very yummy).

I've never had a problem asking them to change a spice or ingredient or two when I was there.

SBETigg
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
I ate at Boma last year and absolutely did not like it. I thought it was my worst meal I have ever had at WDW. I didn't like the way everything was seasoned...it all tasted sweet to me. That being said, would I still like Jiko? I don't know how similar these two are as far as spices go. TIA :mickey:

You might. They are different. But I'm not sure I would risk it if you felt that strongly about Boma. If you're staying at the AKL and you want to stay in-house for a meal, by all means give it a shot. But there are so many truly fantastic Signature dining restaurants at WDW. If you haven't tried California Grill, Flying Fish, Narcoossee's, Citricos, or Artist Point, you might want to look into one of them instead of Jiko.

KineGirl
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I felt the same way as you about Bomas. It was such a dissappointment too because I was SO excited about it! However Jikos is nothing like Bomas. They do not have that heavy seasoning that permeated everything at Bomas. In fact Jikos was amazing! I had these braised short ribs that were so mouth watering and tender..:cloud9: We all loved our dishes and it was hard yo decide whose was better.

I say try it!

Aggie97
07-01-2008, 01:53 PM
We just ate at both Boma and Jiko for the first time a couple weeks ago. While we enjoyed Boma, we loved Jiko and would eat there again without hesitation. I'm not sure how you'll feel about it, but I did not find the flavors to be terribly similar to those at Boma. :mickey:

Natazu
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Boma and Jiko are completely different concepts, prep styles, and dining styles. The staff at Jiko is first rate from chef to cook to sommelier, better than Boma by at least two stars. That said, a lot of the spices are the same so I can't guarantee you won't see some similarities in some of the foods. The good news is, if you hate the food at Jiko, they will take it away and you can get something else without standing in line behind tourists in flip-flops.

pox24
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
We ate there last month for the 3rd time and it was fabulous. Having said that its African cooking. Full of flavor and sometimes spicy. If you are one for more traditional selections then perhaps another choice is for you. I am not one for very spicy foods but the flavors they create at JIKO were extraordinary.