PDA

View Full Version : The Good the bad and the Magical :) Trip Recap

Mackflava99
06-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Final Review- Trip Recap-

Overall my trip was fantastic, I had a great time, my family had a great time, the time I spend with my kids is so important to me, so I just really treasure every moment, whether it be hanging out in the pool or going on a ride or answering their questions about Walt Disney or the countries, or swimming at night, I hope it last for a few more years till they grow up  Myself, I never grow up so I will always be just as enthusiastic, and I hope they remain so.
• I was proud to wear my intercot shirt and hat- I had a number of people say hello- even a waiter at Spoodles commented on the site-
• I found the Magical Express to be a great way to go- for 5 years we had always rented a car- there is no reason to do so anymore… what a waste of $$.
• I also found the switching from 2 hotels in mid trip wasn’t so bad, I was very worried and again I thank those Intercot friends for helping me overcome the fears-
• The June heat was bad as expected- we found by coordinating swimming with the park trips, you can negate the heat and still have enough time to do what you want.
• Next year, I will make my ADRs EARLIER in the Day – so we can take advantage of the sun being down and crowds being diminished- We actually went on more rides after 7pm than we could prior to. Plus, we didn’t seat as much.
• As for Rain- It rained every day except one. It did not curb our trip much except for juggling activities. But my family did not let the rain bother is. We had umbrellas and ponchos and actually had fun.
• Our bike ride in the rain, while unexpected, was so much fun, we will talk about it for a long time. I wish I had filmed it
• We really DID NOT have a bad dinner the entire week. And the service provided was extremely good. Only the lunch at Trails end and Dinner at Garden Grove were not as good(both were service issues, but they were not terrible. All the others were exceptional.
• DDP is still the way to go- I didn’t like the removal of the tips – but I also did not have any CMs give me any spiel about the tips. I tipped like I normally would- and those who did well got good tips from me.
• Transportation was very good overall- we had one bad boating experience, but all the rest were very good. Very efficient and mostly on time.
• I waited way too long to see fantasmic- it was wonderful- I am kicking myself for not going sooner…
• Budget – I gave my kids a set budget for souvenirs etc- they got it in a gift card and that was up to them to spend it on whatever they wanted. It saved me a lot of money, because they were making their own decision.
• Also- I saw an alligator in the lagoon near the Beach Club- not an animatronics one,, but a real one- he/she was there just about every morning- people were feeding him food- The CM says that they would leave it until it got brave enough to come ashore- otherwise Disney lets them be- which is cool because it was a small gator and no one goes into that lagoon- plus the sides are too high for it to climb..
----------------------------------------
Wilderness Lodge vs. Beach Club –
My family is usually at odds each year over where we want to stay- we have 2 favorites and we are split 50-50-I think I may have changed my choice to the Beach Club. I really feel we are taken care of better there. I really do. I still love the Wilderness lodge- but I found more and more I like about the BC- and the Epcot proximity is something that provides so much value.
Wilderness Lodge-
Good
• Showers are larger
• Much Quieter
• The bikes and Boats to rent are tremendous
• Boat connections to MK and Contemporary
• Close to Ft wilderness ( lots of fun things to do there)
• THe lobby is breathtaking.
• Roaring Forks is a very good lunch alternative
• Animals all over the place and not afraid of people
• Gym is very accessible-
• Lobby at Villas has such flavor.
• Stan “the man” works there
• Theme music….totally gives it an aura..
Bad
• Busses are very slow and it’s far from a lot of the parks.
• Front desk staff isn’t as good as others.
• Pool is good but not big enough
• Not enough to do at night
• Lots of pollen and bugs

Beach Club
Good
• Easy access to Epcot – actually local neighborhood access.
• Boardwalk close.
• Tremendous desk staff and Concierge.
• Cleaner rooms
• Tremendous pool
• Terrific waterslide
• Beaches and Cream is such a great place
• The beach movie at night is great for kids
• More dining options
• Walkable distance to DHS

Bad
• Noisy
• Not as much to do like biking
• Long ride to MK
• Boats are slow
• Hurricane Hannah’s is fair at best
-----------------------------------
Dinner Restaurants-My family and I ranked our restaurant experiences (food, service, appearance, location) individually and I compiled up the rankings. (Note- no one got a poor score because all our meals were very good- so this was difficult…)

1. Spoodles – Each and every time we come here (4th) we have a consistently good meal, the service is always terrific and also the sangria is to die for. It got high rankings in Food ,Service and location-
2. California Grill – Our first time, the food was terrific, the Service- ( Ron) was spectacular and the view…oh the view. I didn’t like to have to pack long pants, but it’s worth it. It got high rankings in Food ,Service and appearance-
3. Le Cellier – Our first time – Food was great, dessert also- service was great (Mo) Scored high in Food and Service
4. Hollywood brown derby – Our first time Excellent food, excellent service, I was impressed with the total package ( including fantasmic) only issue was it seems we were rushed.
5. Boatwright’s- Our 4th time there- still a solid performer- good food, great variety and great service. Still a family favorite.
6. Coral Reef- Our first time- View was terrific, we saw Mickey in scuba gear, the food was good ( except the vein) but the 2nd choice was tremendous. Scored very high in Food ,Service and appearance. Our seats were terrific
7. Garden grove- Our 3rd time- of the 3 the lesser experience. Food was great- dessert bar is tremendous. Kid’s choices were very good, service was so-so, but characters were very accessible and made it special-Scored high in Food
8. Whispering Canyon- our 3rd visit- the food was good, service was good- I think the last time we had such a fantastic waiter that this time even though she was nice, she wasn’t as fun. Still a great option and while it didn’t score as high, we still liked it a lot. The restaurant itself is a lot of fun and my kids enjoy all the neat things going on- ketchup, parade, yelling etc-
9. Luau – My 2nd time, my families first Great show- service (Charlie) was very good, food was good too, the pineapple bread was very very tasty- the wait was too long and heat played a big part- Our seats were terrific- in reality, the show should go on DURING dinner- not after-
------------------------------------
Breakfasts-
1.) 1900 Park fare- Just wonderful- selection was great- the characters were plentiful, and they had a lot of good interaction. Excellent food- service was good.
2.) Ohanas- Lilo and stitch were great- food was family style, but eggs were runny, but 2nd batch were good- sausage was great- very good food. It was a close choice.
-------------------------------------
Lunch-
1. Beaches and Cream- hands down always a winner. Excellent food- best onion rings around. Service is terrific, and the appearance is always great.
2. Trails End- Very impressive. Food was very good, service wasn’t but food made up for it. Totally worth going to again.
3. Roaring Forks- Excellent salad- worth having a few days on any visit- Overall for a small place it packs a good punch-
4. Cosmic Ray’s – not bad, not terrific, fair food, lines were very slow moving. I guess the squatters ruined our lunch- previously I had like Ray’s..
5. Hurricane Hannah’s- while they had a good chicken sandwich, it’s just not an enjoyable place to visit, bugs all over, poor set up for ordering.
6. Liberty Inn (America Pavilion)- Selection does not represent America. Food was bland at best.

N/A –Yorkshire County Fish House-UK- fish and chips- EXCELLENT- but I am only one who likes F/C so it didn’t get a full review
N/A - Columbia harbor house – always drop dead the best tuna sandwich around – also didn’t get a full review because only 2 of us ate here.
Our favorite snacks this week-• Dole whip – Cant walk bye without getting one
• Popcorn – Disney has great popcorn
• Ice cream-
• Fruit bars
• Turkey legs
• Fudge in Germany

Mackflava99
06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Final Thoughts-
Fast pass- While Fast pass is a great thing, I feel it still needs to be improved-
At times it works well and at other times it doesn’t- 4 different times this vacation I am not sure having a FP helped much-
Tickets – I saved 20$ off the price of a 7-day ticket by getting them at the Disney store- also I got a book of coupons which helped us out and saved more money- Just a thought but always make sure you check that option when buying a ticket.
Photo pass- such a good option- take advantage if you can.
ADRs – it is such a good thing to plan your ADRs ahead of time. We finally got to visit a lot of places we had always wanted to go to this time because I finally made sure I watched the calendar.
People- 98 5% of the people I met at WDW were nice, happy people. I am overwhelmed by the amount of nice people we met, whether at the pool or in the elevators or waiting in lines. It’s so good to see people happy and having fun. But there are those smaller percentage of numbskulls who cut lines or have bad manners that sometimes gets me upset. I need to try not to let it bother me…. But at times it’s difficult.
3 times during my stay I saw people filling up non-disney mugs and cups with “free” soda. They didn’t have the refillable cup- One lady had such an old Disney cup it was all faded and most of the emblem was scraped off. It was from the Contemporary, but she was at the BC. I asked her- Oh I didn’t know you can use old cups” She said “oh yes I asked and they told me I could” Oh really? I then asked her who told her this because I had some questions about the plan…” she then looked surprised and her husband said “see I told you it’s not right to do that..” Then he made her leave…
Another time at the WL , a man was filling a big Sea world jug with coke- then he went to sit down near the pool and he and his friends used plastic cups to scoop it out- There was no refillable cup in site… I pointed it out to a CM , but they didn’t do anything- When the guy went to refill the jug- I followed him and said- “ is that the new refillable mug size? I wonder what that costs , maybe I can get one? ” He said “ It’s not from Disney , I thought all the soda was free to pool guests “ I said- “ no, but I am sure the lady at the cashier would be happy to sell you some mugs, but I must say that it disturbs me that I have to pay for a mug and you seem to be able to slip by without one” He countered with “ oh well, if I can take some $$ back from Disney anyway I can, I try” – then I said- “ yes, but idiots like you who do this are the reason people like me have to keep paying the rising costs…”
He was shocked that I confronted him. And I know I need to stop doing this, but it does annoy me…
BUT…he walked away and didn’t refill the jug. 3 different people clapped – I laughed because I didn’t know people were paying attention to us…
Hey- in many ways- I hope I made it magical for those I stood up for- Just trying to do my own part of the Magic. If you know me, its not my style to speak out like that, it takes a lot for me to reach that level.

Oh well, now 354 days till the next trip….

mouseketeer mom
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow Bryan, the recap you wrote is wonderful. I really enjoyed your thoughts on the experiences your family had.
I liked your tip about the earlier ADR's to help with the heat issue. Wondering if I should try to do some switching of times for August if possible. That was a great idea.
I liked your thoughts on each individual resort and the splitting issue. Wondering if you would choose to split again. We always do, since we feel there are so many wonderful places to stay at WDW.
Your confrontation with the soda stealing guy was terrific. Your right, its jerks like him that make the rest of us pay. Good for you!
And especially, I agree with your thoughts about sharing these experiences with your family. My husband and I too, want to keep our children believing in magic and want to keep them "young" as long as possible, enthusiastic and dreaming. WDW helps us to do that. These trips last a lifetime.
Thank you so much for your terrific report and recap!
Lisa

yjgirl715
07-01-2008, 09:17 AM
What a great recap! You are very descriptive in your report which helps people like me a lot. We were thinking of splitting our stay too, but was told it was sort of a hassle- but it sounded fine when you did it so we might try it. I'm glad you and your family had such a great time and will always have those memories- I hope our trip goes as well as yours. I too, love spending family time together and will always cherich our time together. Thanks again for the great report!

tinkerbell04
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
That's a great recap of a fantastic vacation. Thanks for sharing some of your families vacation memories with us.

castlelady36
07-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Enjoyed reading all your reports and the wonderful recap at the end!! Truly makes me excited for our trip in just 36 days!! Glad you and your family had a wonderful time and that is what WDW is all about!!

pdrlkr
07-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the great reports! :smickey: And Thanks for standing up for all of us!!! It's a shame that we have to do it instead of the Cast Members!

Mackflava99
07-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I trully appreciate everyone reading my report- its nice to hear such great responses too-

Bryan

A Mouse Fan
07-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip reports with us! I loved all the detail you put into them and the Good, Bad and Magical was a great touch at the end of each report! I am really looking forward to our 8 day trip in November, I hope we have just as good as time as your family had! :thumbsup:

KylesMom
07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Bryan, thanks for sharing each day with us, and creating a really nice trip recap on the Good, Bad and Magical. :mickey: It's been a pleasure reading your family's adventures! :thumbsup:

DizNee143
07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
what a great recap!!
overall..you and your family really had a great vacation!! thank you so much for sharing it with us..i really enjoyed reading all about it!!! :mickey:

#1disneyfan
07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for sharing such great and detailed reports with us. I loved your recap, especially with all the pros and cons of restaurants and resorts.

Glad you said something to those rude people stealing soda! I totally agree with you and I am glad you said something. I probably would have just mumbled something under my breath. While I have never purchased the refillable mugs, I would certainly never steal the soda!

Thanks again for sharing your fun!

dolphinmickey9170
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Bryan, I am truly sad that your reports had to end. They were awesome!! I can't wait 354 more days to read more. Can't you go back again sooner?

Thank you for letting us enjoy your trip with you and your family. I really loved the recap!!:mickey::cloud9::mickey:

wendy*darling
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Bryan- What an excellent trip report!
I have made it through your whole trip this evening. I enjoyed spending tonight with your family. :mickey:

The recap was terrific. I suggest you print out each day's report and save it in your photo album or other keepsake of the trip. It's fun to go back and read old trip reports years later. And it's amazing how much I forget in just a few years... (getting old is tough sometimes ;))

I stand and applaud :cheers: your guts to rise up to the creeps and idiots you encountered. I'm the mumbler, or the one who gives the "evil eye" but never actually confronts the offenders. If more of us would let people know they are not "getting away with it" maybe more people would behave in an honest and courteous manner. (one can WISH, can't one!)

:thanks: Bryan, for sharing your vacation with all of us!

offwego
07-02-2008, 07:35 AM
The bit with the mugs was priceless! Good for you for standing up.:mickey:

marylouwho
07-02-2008, 09:25 AM
hey there, It's Mary Lou, Sarah's mom from school. I just thought about trying to find your trip reports this morning, and I had a great time reading your recap. It sounds like you all had a great time.

I'm so happy that you stood up to those 'soda jerks'!!! That's the kind of thing that I think about doing, maybe some time I'll have the courage to actually do what you did.

Now I want to take some time and read your daily reports. You did a great job on the recaps!

Mary Lou

faline
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Your kids are very lucky to have such a wonderful dad!

Thanks for letting me share your trip by tagging along on your reports! They are excellent and I've greatly enjoyed reading them! :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to write up such wonderful reports. They were a lot of fun to read and I certainly enjoyed following your family's adventures. :mickey:

Lizzie
07-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Great recap. Wish I was there to see you confront those with the mugs.

Mackflava99
07-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I want to thank everyone who took the time to read my trip report- -and i am flattered by all your responses. I now read everyone's reports- WOW its really a great way to get everything in perspective-

its opened my eyes alot-:mickey: