PDA

View Full Version : shipping a box to our resort prior to arrival?

madandmaksmom
06-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Hello All!

My family is going to be arriving at the Poly on July 15th. We have a 1 year old this time around and will need to bring diapers, snacks, etc. With airlines charging so much for overweight/extra bags, I am thinking about just shipping a box ahead of time.

Do the resorts allow this? If so, what steps do I need to take to make sure it gets to our room? I am a bit worried about it getting lost.

Thanks!! :mickey:

Hull-onian
06-30-2008, 03:21 PM
:welcome: to Intercot. This question is being asked more and more. I would phone the Poly at 407-824-2000 and just ask them. We are going next spring to POFQ and we are thinking of doing the same thing. If you find out, let us know. :thanks::mickey:

KylesMom
06-30-2008, 03:25 PM
We have done this for several years and it works out great. I recommend you ship either UPS or FedEx, as the U.S. Postal Service mail will go to a sorting house first and your box may be delayed. We ship FedEx 3-day air; it's not expensive, and you can track it before you arrive to ensure it was delivered. Upon checkin, they usually will inform you that a box was delivered; you can either take it right there if your room is ready, or they can have bell services deliver it when you're ready for it.

I usually mark clearly on the outside of the box our name, resort, and arrival date on all sides of the box. We've never had a problem receiving a shipment. :thumbsup::mickey:

Welcome to Intercot!

Hull-onian
06-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, that's good news. I think more people are going to jump on this band wagon, or just :drive: there and bring everything.

Strmchsr
06-30-2008, 04:14 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

While you certainly can ship boxes to your resort ahead of time, rising fuel costs are also making shipping costs go higher. You might check out one of the grocery delivery services for the things you're talking about. It might be a good bit cheaper than shipping.

gwfx1031
06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
We have done this countless times when our kids were infants and now that they are older. It is perfect for the things you mentioned that you know you will not be bring back like diapers, snacks, formula, etc. The other poster with the shipping tips is right on the money. I also recommed FedEx ground. It is a good price and you can drop it off at a Kinko's a few days before you need it to arrive and it will be there for you.

madandmaksmom
06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions! :thumbsup:

I called the Poly and they said people ship things down all the time. All I have to do is put my name in the Attn: line and let them know I had a package shipped when we check-in. It should be waiting :)

Great idea on the grocery delivery services! I searched online and found a couple that will deliver everything we need to the Poly. Delivery fees ranged from $12-$20 depending on the company. One site even has specific instructions for shipping to Disney hotels! :yay: Looks like this may be our best and cheapest bet.

Goes4FastPass
06-30-2008, 08:10 PM
We're just taking less stuff.

I once read in a Rick Steves travel book, "You never hear anyone say, 'The More I go, the more I take.'"

How many times have you taken clothes home from Disney World you never wore the whole time you were there?

We're just taking less stuff.

Simbajr4ever
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
We have done this and at the poly. Be sure you include your arrival date, and name ressie is in on the box. Some people also put there ressie numbers on the box.

At the poly our box was located at front desk, but valet / luggage might have it too.

KylesMom
07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
How many times have you taken clothes home from Disney World you never wore the whole time you were there?
Never - DS and I are always MAXED out after our 15 day vacation. Now DH -that's another story! :D

FYI - a 25 pound box from Aurora, IL to Wilderness Lodge via FedEx 3-day ground is $12.80 - had it quoted today - not bad.

Simbajr4ever
07-28-2008, 11:14 AM
FYI,

if anyone planning to do ups > they are voting on a strike on friday. Was reported in sunday paper of the tribune in chicago.

Young@Heart
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info.
We weren't going to ship anything down, but had considered shipping things out while we're there.

Septbride2002
07-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Welcome to Intercot!

We did this with our baby when she was 1 - it worked out great. I packed the box with the following items (you'll use it all for the litle one):

*diapers
*wipes
*disposable sippy cups
*gold fish crackers
*the little cups of apple sauce, sliced fruit, and veggies. (These were great at lunch - We'd get a thing of chicken strips - break up one for Chloe and then hand her an applesauce w/spoon).
*disposable utensils
*bibs
*bandaids, tylenol - first aid
*stain stick
*I put some powdered laundry detergent in a ziplock bag - I ended up doing laundry for the baby because she sweated so much.
*swim diapers.

~Amanda

LisaP
07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
I have used USPS Priority Mail with no problems. USPS has a flat rate priority box in 2 sizes that can include all you can jam into that box for one flat rate (I believe the rate is currently $9.00). Of course the boxes are awkward sizes, but I managed to jam 13 pounds of stuff into a rather small box for $9.00 shipping. I shipped food snacks for my DS3 who has food allergies. So glad I shipped ahead!

Faver
07-30-2008, 06:22 PM
This thread is so great! I was wondering the same thing for our upcoming trip in December. We'll definitely need to mail things back home....I plan on shopping a LOT :cheer:

Stich8818
07-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Now with shipping a package before your arrival. Is this only at the Poly and the other deluxe resorts...or is it resort wide...lets say shipping a package to Pop?

disneyfan328
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
You can ship a box to any resort, and not just a Disney you can do this to just about any hotel as I have done it for my DD on all of her school band trips and never had an issue yet. I don't know about overseas, but definetly here you can send one to jsut about any hotel.